PDA

View Full Version : Build this odd character concept [3.5]

Prometheus
2008-11-16, 09:38 PM
I have an odd character concept in mind. Inspired by images of magic user's literally hurling spells composed of what looks like glowing particles, I wanted character whose primary weapon would be throwing magic dust of various different types at people. Dust that blinds, burns, dissolves, chokes.

Realizing these effects wouldn't have to be dust by RAW and could be refluffed as such, the challenge is to give my character a variety of melee and close AoE combat magical attacks as he progresses. Since I probably wouldn't get to much help from spells, I figure a good route to try is as many different breath weapons - except that seems to be the opposite of anything vaguely optimized. I don't need a min-maxer, I just need something that can get by in a moderately optimized party. I'm willing to do some homebrewing, but I'd like to avoid it if it is unnecessary or base it off a similar progression is possible.

Any ideas?

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-16, 09:39 PM
Dragondfire Adept is the breath-weapon class.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-16, 09:46 PM
Dragonfire Adept + Spell Thematics.

MeklorIlavator
2008-11-16, 10:00 PM
Also, see the Orb spells(Complete Arcane).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-16, 10:03 PM
Isn't there a Draconomicon spell that gives you a breath weapon?

Prometheus
2008-11-16, 10:05 PM
Well, I didn't expect the answer to be that simple. Dragonfire adept should give me a main breathweapon while the invocations would allow me to have some more versatile spell effects.
Does Spell Thematics work with invocations or how would that work?

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-16, 10:06 PM
In all seriousness, a debuff focused Wizard with refluffed spells would fit that fine.

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-16, 10:07 PM
In all seriousness, a debuff focused Wizard with refluffed spells would fit that fine.

Spell component could be the magical dust.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-16, 10:08 PM
Well, I didn't expect the answer to be that simple. Dragonfire adept should give me a main breathweapon while the invocations would allow me to have some more versatile spell effects.
Does Spell Thematics work with invocations or how would that work?

There's no reason it shouldn't. I mean, it may be a bit iffy via RAW, but it's a minor enough of an effect that frankly, you may not even need the feat.

elliott20
2008-11-16, 11:03 PM
It's not Zora from Powers is it?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-16, 11:26 PM
The feat Spell Thematics (PGtF) changes the appearance of all your spells to match whatever theme you choose when the feat is taken. You can pick "magic dust" and every spell you cast will have the appearance of having been created by magical dust. The feat gives your spells a +4 to the DC to identify them with Spellcraft, and you can pick one thematic spell per spell level that you cast at +1 caster level. The only prerequisite is arcane caster level 1+.

Feats that apply to spells normally don't work with spell-like abilities, but you could probably get your DM to make another version of it that does.

Icewalker
2008-11-17, 01:00 AM
Commission a new PrC: Dry Alchemist.

Ellisande
2008-11-17, 04:29 AM
I don't have any of my books within a thousand kilometres of me right now so I can't develop any details, but the first thought that came to me was a Warmage--I know it's not as optimized as some other options, but the idea of (some) melee durability combined with spells (depending on how you choose them) would do the trick if refluffed as dusts.

The second thought I had was a Warlock... would it be too hard to choose invocations that'd give you an array of battlefield control effects?

Best of luck, whatever route you take!

Prometheus
2008-11-17, 02:49 PM
Dragonfire Adept looks like a pretty good basis to start from. From there I should be able to homebrew/variant it to fit better, or simple make a build with it that does anything extra I might want. Thanks a lot.