PDA

View Full Version : Contest Ideas

Pages : [1] 2 3

Invariel
2004-08-09, 12:54 AM
Someone suggested a contest which would be building the best spellcasting PrC, and I'd like to suggest a contest for building the least powerful level <x> core character with base stats at 18, 18, 17, 17, 16, 15.

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-08-09, 01:28 AM
I think the Giant intends to do contests more along the lines of the PrC contest - that is, stuff that he can put on the site/that others can use in a game. However, an NPC creation contest might be cool.

Also, I'm assuming this board is for official contests/discussion of those contests, rather than a place for anyone to post a contest - and I mean that as a question to the Giant rather than a criticism to you, Invarial ;)

The Giant
2004-08-09, 01:38 AM
I think Invariel meant to make a suggestion as to what contest I could run next, GK. I agree that I would prefer no one run their own contest on the board, it just will get confusing.

Expect to see the next contest announced soon, but suggestions for future contests are welcomed.

Fenris
2004-08-09, 03:17 AM
I like the best spell idea I read earlier.
I think a PrC contest were the Giant supplies the name and we all make up a PrC to match it. That Could get a little repeatitive if the name is to percise.
Maybe the best spellcasting or warrior PrC would be better.

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-08-09, 03:38 AM
Oops, I wasn't very clear on my previous post. Sorry bout that. I understood that Invariel was simply making a suggestion, but I also wanted to ask my question, and ended up mxing my wording up rather interestingly.

Anyways, suggestions:
Fighter Feat Chain - rather than just one feat, a chain of 4 or so fighter type feats, with awards going to such categories as "most inventive mechanic" and "most likely to be used by an actual fighter."
NPC X - several different ways to do this - NPC of a certain level/CR, a main villian, a recurring adversary, or even giving us just a name to start with. Could do several contests with this.
Magic Item
Monster
PC Race
I'm hesitant to suggest "Base Class" because I don't see much room for a good, general base class that could be used in any game/setting. A spontaneous divine caster, perhaps, but the Complete Divine has several already.

Geethree
2004-08-09, 03:54 AM
Best 1st Level Spell. Think about it! You'd be forced to create an interesting, fun to use spell that can't actually be that powerful.

DwarvesArePeople2
2004-08-09, 04:16 AM
Perhaps my reluctance towards the spell contests reflects the fact that i never play spellcastors, so I know very little regarding existing spells. I'd give it a shot, though.

I like the idea of a character creation contest...a new prestige class contest would be fun, but not for a whil, since the one just finished.

Gdrad
2004-08-09, 06:47 AM
Trap contest. (Best trap, Most likely to TPK, least likly to TPK, Most convoluted,Most likly to be used in a campaign...etc)

Dungeon contest 1. [Giant describes a dungeon we have to make the last/first/any room in that dungeon as he specifies]

Dungeon Contest 2. [Puzzle room. Make the best puzzle for a single room you can.] (Most generic {able to be used by the most kind of dungeons}, Trickest, Easiest, Most likely to waste a full session, Most rewarding...etc)

Dungeon Contest 3[The full dungeon, we must create a dungeon. Wether their are limits are not is up to The Giant] (Most Detailed, Most Imaginative, Most likely to be used by a DM, Most logical {it feels as though the dungeon COULD exist}....etc.

Encounter contest. [The Giant describes a party of "PCs" in full detail as far as character sheets are concerned, and supplys a limited and/or complete background on each character. We must make a polanned encounter for the party] (Most fun, Most challanging, Most rewarding, Most likely to result in a TPK, Funniest, Best use of character background, Most thought out Plan, Best taking into account "PC" abilitys, most fitting encounter....etc)

Im trying to think of contests I could take a part of by limiting how much they require DnD knowledge. Hope what I have so far gives some good ideas.

::ADD:: I also like Gorbash's Ideas.

::ADD:: I suggest, that if you have a contest based off a challenge or otherwise something that "PCs" must overcome, you limit how difficult the entries may be. If an entry is deemed to difficult warn them before the end of the contest that they must tone it down, if its toned down to appropriate limit allow the entry, if not the entry doesnt count.
I.E. if a contest involving making a battle for a pack of lvl 7 adventures calls for them to battle a *looks in 3.0 monster manual* Tarrasque, and the party is a bunch of average lvl 7's (no ability to call in the help of a god or something along those lines), it would be deemed to hard and would be warned to be toned down. If then the contestant changes the entry to be a escape the city before the Tarrasque gets their, and it is deemed it is within the partys capabilities to escape in time, the entry would then be allowed and much merriment would be had by all...except the Hobbits because they always get drunk and bring attention to themselves and the magical artifact the have.
p.s. I dont mean that last add as any insult to your forsight, I just feel it is necessary to touch upon it to help any laid plans from going awry.

Videospirit
2004-08-09, 10:11 PM
Most redicolous prestige class
Best Secret organization
Best City
Screen name spell contest

AngelSword
2004-08-10, 09:15 AM
Best Intelligent Item Contest
Tarrasque-Schmasque - DM's Most Rediculously Powerful Monster contest (with CR caps)
Best Metamagic/Metapsionic Feat(s)
Silliest Applications for Spells

Just thought I'd share.

Ikkitosen
2004-08-11, 01:04 AM
Silliest Application of a Spell - great idea AngelSword ;D

Ikki.

Zagaroth
2004-08-13, 02:20 AM
Food for thought regarding Monsters: Rather than 'pick a theme' like with spells, i think monsters should be set a theme by Giant if we do a monster contest. Monsters are so wide based that you'd wind up with dragons, undead, strange abberations, and divine/unholy creatures of a wide variety of power levels that woudl really be hard to judge against each other.

Fenris
2004-08-14, 03:18 AM
A one page campaign setting introduction :-/

DwarvesArePeople2
2004-08-30, 07:47 PM
I once played with a DM in a short game that he used to test some of his own homebrew races. It was a lot of fun to see how the players used these in backstories, roleplaying, and the like.

This is why I suggest a contest in which you create your own new race, complete with background, stats, favored class, and anything else that would be listed in the PHb.

Gdrad
2004-08-30, 09:13 PM
I think a Wish spell based contest may be fun. How would you solve X problem with Wish. Or something. Would not be a large contest good for an inbetween two major contest contest.

BTW the votng system needs an overhaul.

Zherog
2004-08-30, 11:02 PM
BTW the votng system needs an overhaul.

1) Why do you think so?
2) How would you suggest going about it?

Gdrad
2004-08-31, 04:50 AM
3 way ties, because the number of votes was barly over the number of contestants is NEVER a good thing.
/shrug
maybe like you pick your top 3 favs per catagory. Each choice gets points in this fasion.
#1 choice: 3 points
#2 choice: 2 points
#3 choice: 1 point

may or may not make things more interesting. Fact is that its up the Giant to fiddle with a voting system. How simple does he want it? How much effort does he wanna take to tally up the points? Does he even think that there was a problem?
/shrug

Gilgamesh
2004-08-31, 04:53 AM
Screen Name Deity contest: If you were a deity...

Hometown or Country Monster/Prestige Class/Spell/etc: A monster, prestige class, spell or something based of your hometown or country.

Zherog
2004-08-31, 01:15 PM
3 way ties, because the number of votes was barly over the number of contestants is NEVER a good thing.
/shrug
maybe like you pick your top 3 favs per catagory. Each choice gets points in this fasion.
#1 choice: 3 points
#2 choice: 2 points
#3 choice: 1 point

may or may not make things more interesting. Fact is that its up the Giant to fiddle with a voting system. How simple does he want it? How much effort does he wanna take to tally up the points? Does he even think that there was a problem?
/shrug

This is good info! :) I asked because I do a lot of troubleshooting type work with my job. It's always frustrating when somebody says, "It doesn't work" but never says why. So that's why I asked - and now that Rich knows why you think it has issues, he can look into a solution, including your good one of picking a top 3.

Gdrad
2004-08-31, 09:10 PM
I recall someone else suggsting picking top 3, I just suggest diffrent points for each place. and you make a good point, Ill try to keep why I think it doesn't work along with "it don't work".

Gdrad
2004-09-01, 10:24 PM
uhh not sure what to call it, but a Contest where you take something from TV, movies, and video games, and make a DnD version of it. Like the car from knight rider as an enemy. Sora from KH. The monkeys from ape escape. ETC

Hydro
2004-09-02, 04:46 AM
A one page campaign setting introduction

WoO! I like. Reading/writing those would be all kinds of fun.
We would have to be clear on what constituted "one page", however; preferable with a max word count.

I also think that 'homebrew pantion' (consisting of 3 or more dieties, each written up like the gods in the phb) would be neet.

A contest for individual dieties might be neet, but I myself am more interested in how the dieties interact and collectively influence their world.

AngelSword
2004-09-02, 09:39 AM
I like the pantheon idea. Now, granted, I'm still hammering out my pantheon, but by the time that contest rolls around, I should be finished.

Invariel
2004-09-03, 05:08 AM
On the subject of voting, perhaps instead of a "3 point, 2 point, 1 point" system, each category could be assigned an arbitrary number of points to be assigned. It solves the problem of, "This <x> and that <x> are really really good, so good, in fact, as to be equal. Now, which one deserves that extra one point?" as you can simply assign both <x>'s the same number.

Hydro
2004-09-03, 08:51 AM
Wouldn't work. Smart voters will just put all six points towards their favorite entry without picking a second or third, because their vote carries more weight that way. In which case everyone votes for one, and we're back where we started. But with bigger numbers. >_<

Gdrad
2004-09-03, 11:48 AM
Wouldn't work. Smart voters will just put all six points towards their favorite entry without picking a second or third, because their vote carries more weight that way. In which case everyone votes for one, and we're back where we started. But with bigger numbers. >_<

uhh couple things, since people seem to be taking my halfbutted idea and running with it.

1: to hydro, who said you could do that?? The solution to that is obvously, you can only give an entry points once. Further you do not have to give an entry full points if you want. Like if the best entry still doesn't feel AMAZING just give no one 3, that entry 2, and whatever 1. In fact who said you even need to do later entrys. Just like one entry?? Bam give it 3 points and nothing to any other entry.

2: I was only making a suggestion and was not attempting very hard to make a perfect or great one. My only inention was to get the idea of what needs to be done across, and I hope that The Giant can see my suggestion on a conceptual level, take the concept, and run with it.

3: Giants forums, Giants contests, Giants rules.

4: Why a ninja pig? what on earth does that pig even do? All it does is get held by people and track people like a dog! It never does anything else. It doesn't even do any ninja things, it just hangs around ninja. Whats with that pig??

5: Fruit goes bad really fast, and unless there is alo of people to eat it, I do not think "fruit flower" gifts work when you give the person a HUGE thing of it.

6: roku

7: IM LUCKY!!! SOCKA SOCKA TOOIE!!!

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-09-08, 08:49 AM
uhh not sure what to call it, but a Contest where you take something from TV, movies, and video games, and make a DnD version of it. Like the car from knight rider as an enemy. Sora from KH. The monkeys from ape escape. ETC
Cool idea, but the problem is potential copyright issues - plus, a surprising amount of TV stuff already has stats published somewhere.

AngelSword
2004-09-08, 10:37 AM
Here's one. What about the most ridiculous weapon enhancement contest? Or, silliest magic item?

Ooh, or even, magical enhancement voted most likely to succeed in high school?

Invariel
2004-09-09, 01:50 AM
Invisibility, on a cloak. For sneaking... places...

Hydro
2004-09-10, 12:14 AM
In response to Gdrad:

1. Invariel. Check the post right above my last one. Making people pick a first, a second and a third would work fine. Giving them six points and letting them do as they like with them wouldn't, I'm afraid.

2. I know. But it was a good suggestion, which is why we're still monkeying around with it.

3. I know. But if he wasn't taking suggestions this thread wouldn't be here. ;)

4. Yea, what's with that? o.O

5. Tell me about it.

6. Huh?

7. Um . . . w00t!!(?)!!!!!

Gdrad
2004-09-10, 04:01 AM
In response to Gdrad:

1. Invariel. Check the post right above my last one. Making people pick a first, a second and a third would work fine. Giving them six points and letting them do as they like with them wouldn't, I'm afraid.

2. I know. But it was a good suggestion, which is why we're still monkeying around with it.

3. I know. But if he wasn't taking suggestions this thread wouldn't be here. ;)

4. Yea, what's with that? o.O

5. Tell me about it.

6. Huh?

7. Um . . . w00t!!(?)!!!!!

#4 was a refrence to Naruto
#5 was a refrence to a gift my family recently recieved...for reasons. (it was a Bouquet of fruit carved to look like flowers)
#6 is well l6 in Japanese
#7 is a refrence to a lucky sock my DM gave to his sister in the campaign he was running. Whenever she said Socka Socka tooie before a luck roll she got +1 to that luck roll. (It was a good thing.)
I did those cause I felt I mighta been coming off a bit abrasive so I decided to go into mindless blabbering.

Invariel
2004-10-12, 02:25 PM
That Ninja pig also oinks in Japanese. Ouaai. Ouaai.

Gdrad
2004-10-12, 10:23 PM
That Ninja pig also oinks in Japanese. Ouaai. Ouaai.
yes....yes he does.

evileeyore
2004-10-17, 09:10 AM
Where, where, where is our nifty new contest...

Wasting away here on the message board,
searching for the Giant's new contest thread,
some people claim there's an artist to blame,
but I know, its my own damn fault...

So seriously, Giant, I thought it was a contest a month. Has this changed and how?

Inquiring minds want to know...--EvilE

You know Big G, you might want to do the contests once every two months. Seems to me thats about how long it takes per contest anyway. One month for the contestants to, well, um, contest, and one month for the judgination...

Just a thought.

Invariel
2004-10-18, 02:08 AM
First post of the Spell Theme Winners thread, by the Giant,

"Next contest, I'm going to ask one of the Mods to run it so that I don't forget about it. Congratulations to all the winners!"

;)

evileeyore
2004-10-18, 06:55 AM
First post of the Spell Theme Winners thread, by the Giant,

"Next contest, I'm going to ask one of the Mods to run it so that I don't forget about it. Congratulations to all the winners!"

;)

Aaah, that would be why I never noticed. Not being interested in spell themes, I never read any of it.

Mea Culpa--EvilE

yersch
2004-10-19, 03:59 PM
I think a NPC creation or a monster ecology contest would be cool...

So which of you moderators is going to step up?

White Blade
2004-10-23, 12:28 AM
how about
Best sceam useable by most players, I seriously pawned this one town once, any how it involved a potion of invunlerabilty deaths cloak and some ignite able liquid the mark of the gods popped up around them and they began to bow and worship my level four wizards who seroiusly pawned them, I don't even have to pay for stuff any more ;D.

eldersphinx
2004-10-24, 12:47 PM
how about
Best sceam useable by most players, I seriously pawned this one town once, any how it involved a potion of invunlerabilty deaths cloak and some ignite able liquid the mark of the gods popped up around them and they began to bow and worship my level four wizards who seroiusly pawned them, I don't even have to pay for stuff any more ;D.

... HUH? Scamming isn't game design; scamming is DM judgement calls. As such, the person with the most inexperienced/generous/laid-back DM wins. The rules handle all scams through Bluff checks, and that just comes down to trying to stack up all the skill ranks, +2 feats, snake familiar, and custom magical item bonuses you can and then hoping you roll a 20 when all's said and done.

Perrin
2004-10-24, 04:49 PM
I propose a Prestige Class contest. Just come up with a new PrC for DnD 3.5e, then everyone votes, a BAM. Another contest done.

There should be a starting level range... Let's call it levels 7-13. Theme? Eh... Let's not specify one of those. Leave it up to the creator to figure out which theme they want.

What do you guys think?

Edit:

Er.... Hm. Already been done. Multiple times, I imagine.

So much for that idea.

How 'bout a new race? Just make a PC race, have people vote on them, and boom. Another contest done.

Let's just hope that, upon further reading of the forums, I don't discover that THIS, TOO, has been done already.

White Blade
2004-10-25, 12:22 AM
How about best feat with only links to arcane or divine magic allowing for some intresting things.

Bjorm
2004-10-25, 01:23 PM
How about a contest for least wanted reply - I would like to nominate my self :P

.. sry all :D

Ikkitosen
2004-11-02, 01:00 PM
Posting to (I hope) change the date of the last post from sometime in 2017.

Ikki.

Hydro
2004-11-03, 05:08 AM
Both of what? Both the dieties and their stats?

ArlEammon
2004-11-03, 01:12 PM
A mixture of exalted humans and very powerful out siders.

eldersphinx
2004-11-03, 08:39 PM
Hold on. Would this be a contest to design a bunch of monsters with a religious theme, or a contest to design a group of deities as presented in the PHB? I'd prefer the latter over the former - it's more unique and inherently interesting, and requires a lot less work referencing Epic level rules and Deities and Demigods. (Rule #1 of contests - reduce to a bare minimum the amount of rulebooks needed to enter. Broadens your contestant pool.)

Regardless, I can create a rules thread and help run a contest, but I'm not a mod and so lack authority. Giant, xthemage, Baron, any interest in seeing this go forward? Or backing one of us up if we want to run this?

ArlEammon
2004-11-04, 01:15 AM
How about the second one.Although I see the fun in creating both.

Hydro
2004-11-04, 03:20 AM
Yes, phb-like diety entries are what I had in mind. Actualy, I like the format of the Forgotten Realms entries better, but format isn't that important.

It doesn't matter what the dieties actualy are: a diety could be a Ao-esque all-powerful overdiety or it could be a halfling mage demanding worship and tribute from a small pack of kobolds. The diety may not even exist: it could be a fabrication used to control a civilization or it could be a figment of that civilization's imagination. Or perhaps no one is sure whether it does or not. The only criteria is that all the fields and information given for dieties in the Player's Handbook must be covered, and that dieties (minimum 3, maximum 10?) must somehow interact and come together to form a coherant panthion.

Combat statistics shouldn't be required, though if the author wishes to include stats I see no reason to disalow them.

AngelSword
2004-11-05, 11:16 AM
I would actually say to use the entries presented in Dieties and Demigods, sans stat blocks. That includes the god's dogma and expected clergy.

Perrin
2004-11-05, 07:20 PM
Well, that certainly sounds good. But how 'bout we impose a length requirement for each God/dess? Say, half again the average word count from the PHB. That's not too terribly long.

Also, it would be a good idea to have a higher minimum than three. Say, six or so. That shouldn't be too taxing on the minds of those here.

It's too easy to just create socially accepted gods that aren't actual beings. And too easy to fudge the word count higher with stats about the people who follow him/her. Let's set the requirements at... A mixture of both Exalted (former) Mortals and hideously powerful Outsiders. Have it required to have at least one of both, as well as meeting the minimum total of six.

Add believable personalities to them, too... For example, if you were creating the Christian god under these guidelines, he'd be rather bipolar. Y'know, with the whole "I love you all, but you'll suffer eternal torment if you don't worship me exclusively" thing. Eh, just tossing one out there. I'm not familiar enough with most of the polytheistic pantheons of the real world to come up with anything else. :-/ Like Olidammara's all fun-loving, and (supposedly) doesn't support thievery, as well as absolutely loving music and wine (Bard/Rogue/Cleric). And how Llolth's all whiney and vindictive.

I unno. Just throwing stuff out for y'all to chew on.

ArlEammon
2004-11-05, 07:30 PM
Try not to mention real world religions.

Hydro
2004-11-05, 08:45 PM
No religion that I know of sees the Jeudo-Christian God as bipolar. He simply represents infinite mercy and infinite justice at the same time. If you want mercy, you get mercy. If you don't want mercy, you get justice.

I don't believe in damnation myself*, I'm just explaining how even the most fundimentalist view of God can be seen as a "believable character". ;)

Righto, back to gaming..

I actually much prefer the Dieties & Demigods (or Faiths & Pantheons) descriptions to their phb counterparts. I also think that a good diety description should probably be longer than the phb entries (those are somewhat bare-bones), that divine beings with believable personalities and mortal flaws are simply fascinating in the way that they interact with each other and with real mortals, and that the dynamics of a panthion containing both native dieties and "risen" mortals can be interesting to say the least.

However, all of that is simply a matter of taste, and none of it should be required for every entry. Incomprehensible and alien beings can still make awesome gods, pantheons do not need to contain a wide range of 'god types' to be useful in a game and fun to read, and anyone who can sufficiently describe a god in less than two or three paragraphs is welcome to it (and if they can't suffieciently describe the god it will hurt their score).

You may prefer a panthion that fits the Forgotten Realms mold, but there's no reason to restrict all entries to that. Someone may decide to forsake polytheism it's self in favor of eastern anamism, and their "pantheon" may be three or four local nature spirits reveared by a small monistary in the mountains. I think that that would make an excillent entry.

The only thing which might reasonably be restricted is the number of dieties that constitute a minimum entry. I was of the mind that three is the bare minimum for a polytheistic panthion, any less and you realy have monotheism (such as that seen in many real-world religions) or ditheism (such as the Giant's own sun goddess and moon god). I can imagine how a trinity could constitute a panthion (the Triad from FR is a sort of mini-panthion for paladins), but at the same time it is a rather breif one.

Or, going in the opposite direction, might a ditheistic pair be considered a panthion? You would have to flesh both dieties out very well to get a solid entry, but it could work . . .

So, whatdya say folks? What's our minimum number of dieties?

* If anyone would like to discuss the real-world religous issue any further, feel free to contact me privately rather than eating up more of Mr. Burlew's bandwidth.

ArlEammon
2004-11-06, 01:58 AM
I think that six should be the minimum entry for a polytheistic pantheon.

Premier
2004-11-06, 08:07 PM
I agree with Hydro that the entry requirements should be as broad as possible, simply because this way we might just get lucky and get in some good material which would be otherwise barred because it doesn't conform to certain requirements.

The way I see it, there shouldn't be a hard and unyielding lower limit - who's to say that one of us doesn't have a totally awesome pantheon of only five, or four gods? Similarly, there might be inidivual peculiarities in such matters as desccriptions of the gods' personalities - a rule saying that each god must have at least X lines written about it would put someone with a pantheon of 50 gods at a serious disadvantage as compared to those who'll make a pantheon of 8.

This is what I would suggest for the exact wording of the challenge:

Make a pantheon. Make it whole. Make it good.

That simple.

Hydro
2004-11-07, 03:10 AM
*has a totally awesome pantheon with 5 dieties*
^_^

That's generaly a pretty good philosophy for handling contests, Premier. It's very easy to just throw in arbitrary restrictions that you think will make the contest better without realizing just how great an entry not following those restrictions can be.

The only reason I suggested that we require that all the fields in the phb be filled is that I was also concerned with how useful our panthions are to dms. Many dms only run games using the rules as written. That means a cleric class and an alignment system, which in turn means that all dieties should be associated with a list of domains, a favored weapon and an alignment.

Not all dms require these feilds to make use of a panthion in their game, however. For example, Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed has no alignment system and does not include any phb classes (including the cleric), so an AU panthion doesn't need any of the above criteria. If I remember correctly, our Giant's own sun goddess and moon god don't have any of those things either, yet I think that they make an awesome panthion for a dnd game.

It's something to think about, at least.

Premier
2004-11-07, 05:45 AM
One reason I'm wary of this whole "PHB format" thing is that I've never SEEN the 3rd edition PHB, and the 2nd ed. one doesn't HAVE any info on gods. Now, I'd definitely like to enter this competition, but it will be kinda hard to do if I don't KNOW the formal requirement, won't it?

Of course, with my current idea, chances are I would throw the format to the winds even if I knew it.

Hydro
2004-11-07, 09:00 AM
It's not that it has to be in a certian format, just that certain things have to be covered. What's the god's alignment? What is his favored weapon? What are his domains? Who worships him? What is his holy symbol? And, finaly, at least some text (and preferably a lot) describing what the diety is generaly like. If you had to, you could find info on 3.x alignments, domains and weapons in the srd.

If we don't require any of that (particularly the "crunch": favored weapon, domains and alignment) then it stops being a d&d writing contest and starts being more of a general fantasy writing contest. And as far as I'm concerned that would be cool too, but like I said it's something to think about.

Premier
2004-11-07, 08:16 PM
Good point there: do we want a "Design a D&D pantheon" contest, or a "Design a fantasy pantheon" one?

My personal preference would be the second, for a number of reasons - but mind you, this is a matter of personal taste.

For one, the ultimate of any of these competitions is to create GOOD material. Sure, the "board's ideal solution" would be to create GOOD D&D material, but assuming we have to choose between the two qualities, I strongly believe that "good" should take precedence - better make some good fantasy material that's not D&D than something that's D&D but nothing to write home about. Think of this this way: which would be closer to your heart, Tolkien's Valar and Maiar (or, for that matter, the Greek or Celtic pantheon), or Generic D&D Pantheon From Cunningly Disguised Adventure Module Officially Licensed D&D Novel #316? Yup, first one's the correct answer. Therefore, I suggest that our first and foremost goal should always be to make something original, consistent, enjoyable, and high-quality, with "actual D&D material with all the numbers and stats" only coming after the qualities above.

Also, I personally have found that it's easier - or perhaps "more fruitful" would be a better phrase - to create some quality fantasy material and adapt it for your gaming needs than to create something straigh-to-the-gaming-board and THEN worry about its creative quality. Or to put it in other words, if you concentrate on making your material good and consistent without any initial thought for actual gaming and game mechanics, later you'll always find it easy to use that material for RPing. On the other hand, if you start out making some material with your primary concern being that it should be written for Game System X, the strife for overall quality will all-too-easily get lost in the process, gradually sifted out as you make small concession after small concession on the the altar of Game Balance and Ease of Rules.

And for yet another approach, I think there's also the matter of originality. Hydro's just raised a couple of typical "gameplay consideration" question: What's the deity's alignment? What's their preferred weapon? What's their symbol?

Well, what if these deities DON'T HAVE ONE? What if a god doesn't give a damn about what weapons their so-called faithful are bashing each other to death with? What if a god has about as many direct or related symbols as, say, the Judeo-Christian God? What if there's a deity whose personality or activities (like pretty much all REAL humans's) are too complex to simply cram into one of nine oversimplified categories? In other words, what if a pantheon (which might be an extremely playable one, BTW) is just TOO ORIGINAL for the clichés of official D&D pantheons?

Sure, the obvious answer is "Then it's not a D&D pantheon." Exactly. It's not a D&D pantheon, because it's too good to be a D&D pantheon. Shall we throw it out because of that?

That's the way I see the question.

eldersphinx
2004-11-07, 08:42 PM
Well, on the grounds of "Nobody seems to agree, so I'll get the ball rolling myself", I've started a thread for the Unofficial Pantheon Design Contest (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=10998741 82;start=0#0).

Rules there are nonspecific and not based on Deities and Demigods with the goal of enabling as many people to participate. The fact that I don't actually own a copy of Deities and Demigods myself has NO impact on this decision, and I am shocked, SHOCKED to discover that anyone would suggest such a thing! ;D Using a Deities and Demigods format (or rules material) is okay, but keep in mind that a large portion of the readership won't grok it.

Please note that this thread is completely unofficial and not sponsored by the Giant. I'm judging the contest based solely on squatter's rights. As such, the rules of this contest (or judging rights) may end up being changed if someone with real authority says otherwise.

With that said, anyone who wants to start writing can check the thread I posted above to participate. Looking forward to see what comes out of this!

Premier
2004-11-08, 06:51 AM
Cool. I can already see which of your rules will I be chucking out the window with overwhelming gusto and nochalant bravado. ;D

Hydro
2004-11-08, 05:32 PM
Write your material however you like Premier. Everyone's creative process is different, and I have found that some of the most creative minds out there tend to also be some of the most quirky. If you feel that writing with a specific game engine in mind cramps your style, then don't.

But, please, do not assume that the rest of us are bound by the same constraints. Just as any of an infinite number of points can be said to fall into one of the four quadrants of the cartesian plane, so any of an infinite number of complex moral codes all fall into one of the nine alignments: more complex individuals (and gods) are simply more difficult to judge. It is possible for a wimsical god to have a dozen or more holy symbols (all of which are listed), or for a god who isn't much concerned with what weapons her followers are using to choose a symbolic weapon such as Ilmatyr's "an open hand (unarmed strike)" for purposes of spells that manifest that god's favored weapon.

You view of the game system is apparently obscured by the vast number of cliche's and uncreative content that you have see associated with it over the years, and if you can't break free of those steriotypes without chucking the whole thing out the window then by all means chuck away. But rest assured that, for the rest of us, there is no such thing as a pantheon that is "too good for d&d".

Premier
2004-11-08, 06:56 PM
Just to avoid misunderstandings, all I said about creativity was my personal opinion, without wanting to forcefully impress it anyone else.

But rest assured that, for the rest of us, there is no such thing as a pantheon that is "too good for d&d".

And that's exactly the point I too have made, even if I have been a wee bit more roundabout with it.

... with gusto!

I like that word. I'll try to use it more often from now on.

ArlEammon
2004-11-26, 07:58 AM
Why don't we start having a deity creating contest?

Perrin
2004-11-26, 02:13 PM
Why don't we start having a deity creating contest?

Now THERE'S an idea. The question is... Characters that are Deity-level, and may take a few of the respinsibilities of Deities, or Characters that simply are Deities, having considered themselves Gods for a long time, and having the power to back it up?

Hydro
2004-11-26, 02:52 PM
*indicates his "homebrew panthion" idea, above*

Gods are cool, but I realy don't have the means to write up their statistics (or those of any epic character, for that matter), and stats are probably the least important aspect of a diety anyway.

Of corse, a pantion is simply a group of dieties who interact with each other, and the deffinition of "diety" is left wide open. ;)

ArlEammon
2004-11-26, 04:34 PM
Perhaps a mixture of both, unless you already mentioned that when you said "homebrew pantheon".

Grey Watcher
2004-12-30, 03:54 PM
I'll resurrect this thread so I can suggest perhaps a party design contest? Create a set of characters that are adventuring together. You can declare winners based on characterization, group dynamics, stats, tactical possibilities, playability, etc. etc. Unlike the pantheon and the festival contest where I'm drawing complete blanks, I have a few ideas bubbling along these lines.

White Blade
2004-12-30, 06:49 PM
Dang that would be fun, as well as practical we would have to work on things that would help us to help role playing, which is something always worth learning more about no matter how much you have mastered the craft, Both as Players to help us understand how their Pcs would inter act with one another and for Dms to help estimate their pcs actions.

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-12-31, 02:07 AM
I really like Grey Watcher's party concept as well. To make things more interesting, perhaps the members of the party should all fit into some sort of theme (like the spell chain contest earlier, where the contestant chooses their own theme)?

A few questionis - how much detail do we want for each party member? Is there a particular level every party should be at, or can the contestant pcik whatever level she or he desires? What material, game rule wise, is allowed?

I submit that, if statblocks are to be created, each character for these parties should be created with a reasonable point buy amount (32 sounds good to me) prior to potential level adjustments, and follow the standard wealth amounts for characters of their level according to the DMG. This is purely to provide a nice baseline for everyone, so we can focus more on the cool "fluffy" bits of the contest while also getting a shorthand idea of the relative power of the party and characters.

Grey Watcher
2004-12-31, 03:51 AM
Well, the parties don't NECESSARILY have to get along like a dream. I once created a party for a video game and I thought it would be a good idea to include some intra-party conflict (which, naturally, the game wouldn't support, but whatever). I like the idea that there's friction within a group. Nothing to break the group apart, but I think it'd be cool to have some awards for, say, Most Dysfunctional Group. ;D

White Blade
2004-12-31, 07:42 PM
what level/range would they be in average party level 6 or what? something in that range I hope. I think it would be better if there where no martial (and by martial I mean books) limits, or if we did restrict it to the "everything you ever wanted books" that is to say Book of vile darkness, Book of exalted Deeds, The Complete Series, The Expanded Psionic's Handbook, And the Core books (The PhB The DMg and the MM). And this doesn't even include one of my favorite books either. (unearthed arcana)

Ramos
2004-12-31, 08:52 PM
Does an Eladrin Wizard, an Astral Deva Cleric, a Drow Druid, a male Erinyes fighter and a Succubus Sorceress earn the title most disfunctional party ever? :P

White Blade
2005-01-17, 12:52 AM
How about and I know this one would have more work then anything but the spell chain contest. Build A town/city complete with well known personalities, adventure hooks, and major buildings.

White Blade
2005-01-17, 01:22 AM
Double Post Forgiveness
Please comment anyone?

DrSpoon
2005-01-17, 01:52 PM
meh my actual D&D party is more dysfunctional: CG elven Bladesinger, LG Dwarven Cleric/Defender, CG Drow Sorcoress, CG Kobold/Silverwraith Druid

Gamebird
2005-01-17, 03:14 PM
I'd be interested in this contest if someone could get one of the board staff to underwrite it. Say, like Wampax did last time? I'll go send that person a private note and see what they say...

White Blade
2005-01-17, 09:41 PM
Which one do you mean the city one or the party one?

WampaX
2005-01-17, 10:54 PM
I'd be interested in this contest if someone could get one of the board staff to underwrite it. Say, like Wampax did last time? I'll go send that person a private note and see what they say...

Just so you know, I volunteered for contest duty while Rich was busy with the Book stuff, et. al. When we will be given leave to run another, I do not know.

Gamebird
2005-01-18, 02:27 PM
Which one do you mean the city one or the party one?

I meant the party suggestion.

White Blade
2005-01-18, 03:45 PM
Kay just wondering

Premier
2005-01-18, 07:32 PM
Here's another idea: design a set of magical items or artifacts. Maybe created by the same person, maybe forming a famous collection, maybe pieces that combine for a greater effect... anything that could count as a "set". And also write down the history of the pieces.

White Blade
2005-01-18, 09:21 PM
That could be fun too...

Blue_C.
2005-01-18, 11:56 PM
I agree with White Blade, the magic item set idea of Premier's sounds awesome.

White Blade
2005-01-19, 01:48 AM
I can imagine mine already, built by five people (I think its, Shungjen but I don't have the complete divine book with me yet...)
One for fire, one for water, one for earth, one for air, and one of course for void. All of which would be katans built for five samurai.

Blue_C.
2005-01-19, 04:46 AM
Funny White Blade, but that reminds me of a set of Minor Artifacts I designed for a campaign. They were the (evil) Chalice of Water, the (good) Athame of Fire, the (lawful) Anvil of Earth, and the (Chaotic) Baton of Air.
Not sure what my entry would be. Perhaps a suit of armor (chainmail, guantlets, helm, greaves, bracers, etc.)

Aran
2005-01-19, 08:24 PM
I'm up for the magic item contest - It sounds like fun. Plus, I already have some ideas of my own. :D

I'm not willing to divulge too much information at this point, but the artifacts may not be items in the traditional sense.

Hydro
2005-01-25, 03:00 AM
You made fire good and water evil?

You suck.

Baron Von Mod: And you're arbitrarily insulting someone. >:(
Discuss if you want, but don't hurl insults.

Meagen
2005-01-25, 10:41 AM
You made fire good and water evil?

You suck.

Baron Von Mod: And you're arbitrarily insulting someone. >:(

Mr. Mod sir, I believe the intent was to make a joke based on the poster's name.

Baron
2005-01-25, 11:40 AM
OK... :-/ Not sure of the connection... You'll have to help me out here. I'm not getting the joke. ???

Hydro
2005-01-25, 05:40 PM
My appologies; I thought it was too arbitrary to be taken seriously. Humor is difficult to explain, and is a moving target from one person to another anyway, but I'll give it a shot:

Perhaps my sense of humor has been warped by hanging out with my d&d group too much, but having someone tell me that I "suck" for calling their favorite element evil isn't something I would ever take offense at. Perhaps it's because I haven't heard the word "suck" used as a real insult since... well, any time in memory actually. Maby back in early gradeschool, but I have a hard time remembering early gradeschool.

So, here I am, hurling a steril insult at Blue C for the absurd 'offense' of calling my "favorite element" (an object of pure fantasy) "evil". I think that the fact that I was insulting him over such a silly thing was what was supposed to be funny, disarmed (unsuccessfully it seems) by the fact that I wasn't using a "real" insult. And yes, part of the persona I've built up around this handle is that water is His Thing (much like Premier's "With gusto!", which I doubt he says in real life :p).

Anyway, humor is something I have difficulty comprehending much less explaining, so I think I'll stop tripping over myself in the attempt. Sorry again for the mix-up.

DrSpoon
2005-01-25, 05:46 PM
The Items idea definately looks good to me

Premier
2005-01-26, 08:06 AM
Well, with so much unexpected enthusiasm for the idea, I guess the next question is: Should we suggest it as an official contest idea and wait, or do another unofficial one with gusto, like the pantheon one?

Aran
2005-01-26, 08:26 AM
Save it until we have the backing of Teh Mod. I want that cool title. :D

Meagen
2005-01-26, 01:57 PM
OK... :-/ Not sure of the connection... You'll have to help me out here. I'm not getting the joke. ???

"Hydro" is the greek root meaning "water". Like "hydroplane" = "plane that lands on water".

Grey Watcher
2005-01-26, 07:05 PM
"Hydro" is the greek root meaning "water". Like "hydroplane" = "plane that lands on water".

I thought hydroplaning referred to when you lose traction while driving through standing water. You're tires are going fast enough that they can literally ride on top of the water the way a plane rides on top of the air.

White Blade
2005-01-27, 02:00 AM
*Riot stick* We want a contest, we want a contest we want it now We want a contest, we want a contest we want it now We want a contest, we want a contest we want it now We want a contest, we want a contest we want it now We want a contest, we want a contest we want it now We want a contest, we want a contest we want it now We want a contest, we want a contest we want it now We want a contest, we want a contest we want it now We want a contest, we want a contest we want it now We want a contest, we want a contest we want it now

Baron
2005-01-27, 05:28 AM

Oh that poster! Fairy nuff. :)

I'll see what I can do about organising a magical item competition..... ::)

White Blade
2005-01-27, 01:26 PM
*drops picket stick* thank you so much...

GeekDaddy
2005-01-27, 01:44 PM
<-- Is waiting with baited breath!

And let me be the first to tell you, earthworm breathspray tatses nasty!

Hydro
2005-01-27, 07:55 PM
Icky.

Magic item sets, hrm? Maby I'll have time to get into this one.

Baron
2005-01-28, 05:34 AM
Right, the go ahead has been given. Let me sort out the details and I'll get back to you. It'll be on similar lines to previous comps.

Blue_C.
2005-01-28, 03:47 PM
SHows how much i've been pay8ing attention for the last couple of days. Uh, Hydro, the reason I assigned the elements the way I did is because that's the way I've always written about them. Fire is the symbol of purification in my cosmology, not necessarilly destruction (though in my more entertaining religions, that comes to the same thing). Water meanwhile in the symbol of impurity, as it takes in everything. Sure, it's necessary for existence, but it's also the source of disease and mosnters.
Also, my Neutral Evil diety is a goddess of the Sea.

White Blade
2005-01-30, 02:22 AM
Okay I came up with a new idea for the contest I can't help but post. I was thinking about doing game stats for objects from the bible and making them magical items in dnd. Moses' Staff, Araon's staff, the coat of many colors (I'm making it a cursed item), arch of the covenant (also cursed I mean come on it killed everyone but the high priest), The seven horns of Jerico, Apostle's sandals, Jesus' cloak, and the sliver goblet used by joseph to frame his only full brother for theft to judge his others brothers character. Of course I will also right up a history of them loosely based on the stories in the bible for a generic world, but still its my most wicked idea ever.
Plus I want to rub it in my sunday school teacher's face that I managed to use the "satanic game of the devil" to write up stats for these holy (and cursed) objects.

Hydro
2005-01-31, 04:53 AM
I figured something of the sort Blue. I usualy cast fire as the destroyer (though it can create and remake) and water as the creater (though it can corrode and destroy), but the elements are fairly moraly neutral by themselves, and in any case I was just messing with ya. ;)

White Blade: that sounds like it could turn out pretty neet. And I'm totaly with you: at it's best and worst, d&d is a tool. It can be used to an end. What end is up to the players involved, but usualy involves nothing other than having a good time. ^_^

If I were you, I would cast these objects in a somewhat Arthurian light, much like like the Holy Grail: objects of great mystery and majesty, hidden away in ancient tombs and sacred places (perhaps even guarded by demons and dragon), waiting for pious knights to come and claim them. Just an idea.

Callahan
2005-03-09, 11:22 AM
I rather like the idea of a 'design a party' contest but it would be an AWFUL lot of work. There's also a lot of room for interpretation, ECL, and a bunch of other hogwash. Essentially it'd be real hard to judge the 'quality' of different parties, and power-level or combat effectiveness isn't the only yardstick worth using, IMHO. I think that a 3rd level party could easily be cooler and better thought-out than a bunch of tricked-out 15th level powermongers...

A simpler, easier, and possibly better contest might simply be an NPC design contest, as was suggested near the beginning of this thread.

Possible categories:
- scariest NPC
- coolest NPC
- funniest NPC
- NPC you'd most like to use in your campaign
- best background/story

Guidelines/requirements I'd stipulate would that all NPCs must be 'legal' in terms of current 3.5e rules (any and all current books permitted to be used), and that each NPC submitted should include:
- complete character sheet
- gear list
- background/story
- some typical quotes/sayings

Might also want to allow for NPCs that come in pairs or small bunches (twins, etc.) as part of a single submission.

White Blade
2005-03-09, 11:41 AM
I like the idea, but what woulld the character sheets be like, say for instance this one or the one from 3eprofiler
Name
Gender Race Class (1) Level (1)
Alignment:
Deity:
Height:
Weight:
Hair:
Eyes:
Str:
Dex:
Con:
Int:
Wis:
Cha:

Class and Racial Abilities:

Hit Dice:
HP:
AC:
ACP:
Init:
Speed:

Saves:
Fortitude
Reflex
Will

BAB:
Melee Atk:
Ranged Atk:

Skills:

Feats:
Languages:

Spells Per Day

Equipment:

Money

Callahan
2005-03-09, 12:07 PM
ultimately as long as everyone uses the same format/details for the character sheet, it's a wash

I have no preference so long as the guidelines are clear

The Glyphstone
2005-03-09, 03:31 PM
I like this idea (Create an NPC). I wouldn't even have to create something new, just recycle Ganamos the Gentle Golem for a encore.

An alternative would be a more focused create-an-NPC contest, a Create-A-Villain contest.

Blue_C.
2005-03-09, 06:49 PM
I like the Glyphstone's Create a villian idea, but the details... So many villians are entertaining not so much because of what they can do, but what they can get others to do. The organization supporting them, in other words. We'd have to provide more than a character sheet to contain that.

Also, I would limit further than Callahan suggested, using only WotC Material. That way we all have at least a chance of having access to the same PrCs and such.

Beelzebub1111
2005-03-10, 07:18 AM
Since the rules of the item contest were a little restricting. How about an artifact contest? maybe 3 minor and 2 major.

Premier
2005-03-10, 09:10 AM
Well, it would be too close to a very similar contest. I suggest we should do something else now, and artifacts maybe later. Personally, I'd also like to see something less stat-intensive after the magic items, something that has more to do with background and story and less with game mechanics. Say, "Create a Creation Myth", or something like that.

GeekDaddy
2005-03-10, 11:36 AM
What about Design a Single-Sitting Adventure or Vignette? It gives wide creative possibilities without being so grossly large that it is cumbersome. These would not be side quests as much as something to throw at a party to keep them on their toes or even just something to run through when you don't have time to start a whole module or campaign...

Granted, it's not uncommon for gamers to sit down and run through an entire commercial module in one 12-14 hour game ssession, so some restrictions would be needed.

Restrictions could include (or not):

Must be set in one location (inn, grove, marketplace, temple, mountain pass, cave...)
Must be able to be completed in one sitting (natch)
Must be have an average CR of "x"
Must contain no more than "x" rooms
Must have maximum XP award of "x" (excluding RP XP)
Etc...

Or it could be more involved. But a vignette would not be as daunting as a whole module or campaign. Plus, if everyone is on the same playing field so far as size and scope of an adventure, it makes for more creative entries.

My 2cp for the moment.

Beelzebub1111
2005-03-10, 05:30 PM
How about...Create a side-quest! super fun adventures with XP, Items, Gold, and Monsters! Give a backstory, and a basic monster list.

hwoo_
2005-03-11, 03:56 AM
I like GeekDaddy and Beelzebub1111's suggestions regarding creating small adventures that PCs can go on. This will give DMs ideas that they can bring back to their gaming groups. It will also share with the rest of us some tactics and techniques that some gaming groups employ.

The one addendum that I'd like to suggest is that the side-quest or adventure have 1 main villian/antagonist, and that the villian should be fully fleshed out.

By framing the villian within a sidequest, we'll show his/her personality more fully because "actions talk louder than words." ;)

just my input.

Cryptonym
2005-03-12, 11:43 AM
What about a create a plane? There would have to be some sort of special element to it that makes it very different from other planes, plus descriptions of certain monsters and humanoids that live there....

Talanic
2005-03-15, 07:49 PM
Newcomer here. I'd like to participate in these contests if I can. My experience so far has been limited.

What I already have made, myself, is a villain, two henchmen, and three generic lackey monsters (all custom).

Think that could fit into a contest sometime? Make a BBEG, Right hand man, Left hand man, and lackeys. Could be human (what kind of skills / traits / characteristics / gear / quirks / goals?) or not(races / distinguishing features / particular enemies). Goals, quirks (does this BBEG allow henchmen to reach right hand man or not?), et cetera.

Otherwise, I'd love to give a shot at making a vignette. Right now I have my group exploring this same BBEG's stronghold, with a little twist...the BBEG himself is long since dead, and they're going through the abandoned remains...along with the things that sleep, awaiting his return...

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-16, 04:43 PM
So...when exactly is he new contest going to start, and who decides the topic?

Grey Watcher
2005-03-16, 05:00 PM
So...when exactly is he new contest going to start, and who decides the topic?

Whenever the Giant feels like it and whoever the Giant delegates to do so (could be the Giant himself).

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-16, 05:06 PM
Just what I expected... So, I now redirect my same question towards the Giant:

So...when exactly is the new contest going to start, and what will the topic be?

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-16, 05:31 PM
Have we done a Create a New Monster contest, I like those.

Beelzebub1111
2005-03-16, 05:55 PM
how about an archvillian contest? That would be awesome. come up with stats and everything

Cyclone231
2005-03-16, 08:14 PM
How about a Campaign Setting Log Line contest? Well, probably a bit bigger longer than a log line; more like a paragraph.

The idea is, come up with a campaign setting idea, then describe it in a small amount of space. That means no details, nothing like that. Just give the general thing. Draw the setting in broad strokes, with the little details missing.

GeekDaddy
2005-03-17, 09:19 AM
Seeing as how Rich is so experienced at creating campaign settings, having had the Wizard's contest unfairly stolen from him, perhaps he would be willing to start up a similar (but smaller) version of the contest here. Have the contest of the moment be similar to the first stage of the campaign setting contest. Everyone enters a synopsis of their campaign setting of a predetermined length and detail. Then, we could all move on from there (if he has the strength) :)

Esk1mo
2005-03-22, 02:39 PM
Creating a whole campaign setting even with limitations can be a huge task. And if I wanted to post something of any value, I would have to invest a lot of time into it.

But hey, I'm all for "wasting" hours on "nothing".

I, however, like the original idea of creating a Single-Sitting Adventure. A side quest always sounds to unimportant to me. One-time adventures can easily be Incorporated in a campaign if they are intended to build upon a story rather than just filling in the down time.

Something else that The Giant might want to think about is running a campaign setting contest as an ongoing thing in the forums.

In the course of lets say a year people can submit their campaign setting ideas in a series of mini contests. And depending what section everyone is working on an appropriate time limit is set.

For example, the first contest could be geography and everyone would be given a week or two to come up with the layout of the land for their setting. After the winner is announced people move on to the next section of the contest buildiing upon what they previously posted about their setting.

This could create a great community of friendly competition as everyone works on 1up-ing their previous submissions to win the next mini contest. And at the end of timeline a full review of the setting can be posted and then judged for the Ultimate Grand Campaign Prize
Yay!!

I don't know does that sound too far fetched or what?

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-27, 12:08 AM
So, will there be a contest in April?

Is there anybody out there?

*shudders b/c he thinks of pink ffloyd song*

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-03-27, 12:33 AM
I'd be willing to set up an un-official contest, say for designing an organization.

However, I think such a contest would require some sort of gimmick. Any suggestions?

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-27, 12:53 AM
I think we should wait for Rich or a mod to say "There will be no contest for April" before we go and set up an unofficial one. Even is there is no official contest, anyone can post in this forum, so an unofficial contest can still run, but slightly more difficult.

devious3
2005-03-29, 05:02 AM
Well taking into consideration that this is a web-comic site... why not make a D&D Comic contest... where people can create their own cast of characters, and write their own stories [like The Giant gives us every week] or even just make a simple one-liner [like the ones in the newspaper]... As a prize the top 3 could be shown on a day where The Giant is too bussy or behind to get us our fix of OOTS... or even jsut as a bonus comic on a random day...

I havent looked over the rest of the posts or ideas to see if this idea has come up before so here it is...

Hydro
2005-04-03, 04:13 AM
I like the idea of a short campeign setting entry. Like a "setting bible", but only about one typed page or less. It's like a campeign setting, minus all the work: just a general idea or spark.

But I think I'll refrain from promising anything until I actually have an entry typed, since whenever I say I'll enter it never seems to happen.

Sorry to all the folks who were expecting me to help them out with their mechanics on the magic item design contest.

doopokko
2005-04-06, 02:20 AM
I love the idea of having a contest for entire campaign settings, whether it's presenting a short spolier or synopsis of the entire setting, or if its building the setting piece by piece in seperate contests. Either way I think it would be a wonderful way to get creative juices flowing, and let us all see the best everyone can come up with.

Premier
2005-04-06, 11:27 AM
Sounds like an interesting idea. However, I hope that if it becomes an official contest, the mods wont spoil it by pointless restrictions like "It must have exactly 5 different demihuman races" or "It must have 5 cities 7 towns and 3 villages" or anything like that. The contestants should be given freedom to excercise their creativity.

Duvik_IronBottom
2005-04-06, 02:39 PM
Week 1

Skill: Balance

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, would be to create a single encounter revolving around the featured skill.

e.g. A tip picked up in town leads the party to beleive the leader of a band of gypsies has info crucial to the campaign. The leader of the gypsies is a gambling man and refuses to divulge the knowledge unless someone in the party can best him in a test of agility.

The leader shouts some orders in a strange tongue and two of his men scurry off for a few moments . They return a few moments later pulling the strangest contraption ever. It's a 10' long flatbed wagon with two 4"x4" poles standing 3' tall in the center. The poles are spaced about 3 ft apart.

As the two men get close, they suddenly stop and the wagon rolls to a halt as well. the gypsy leader walks to the wagon makes a quick geture. A flash and a puff of smoke engulfs the wagon. The smoke fades and as it disspates, you realize the floor of the wagon is no longer flat, a series of razorsharp dagger length blades now stick straight up along the whole of the floor.

----This is just an example so I'll leave it at that for now, should you consider this contest, I reserve the right to flesh out the idea

Esk1mo
2005-04-06, 06:52 PM
Sounds like an interesting idea. However, I hope that if it becomes an official contest, the mods wont spoil it by pointless restrictions like "It must have exactly 5 different demihuman races" or "It must have 5 cities 7 towns and 3 villages" or anything like that. The contestants should be given freedom to excercise their creativity.

I don't think the mods have to limit the contest for fairness sake. When it comes to working on campaigns the more you put into it the better it will be. So obviously the people who put the max hours will shine. However, if we have a series of mini contests, after the first, people can look at how everyone else did and adjust for the next contest. Plus if the subjects of competition is kept broad but thought out then people will have freedom and fairness

Also, A way to keep things fair could be a shorter time limit maybe?

Lilly
2005-04-06, 10:50 PM
I love the idea of having a contest for entire campaign settings, whether it's presenting a short spolier or synopsis of the entire setting, or if its building the setting piece by piece in seperate contests. Either way I think it would be a wonderful way to get creative juices flowing, and let us all see the best everyone can come up with.

There is actually something quite like this on this very message board. If you look up from the contest board there is something called "community world building." There we come up with ideas for a campaign setting, and vote on the ones we like. It's very much like a contest.

Esk1mo
2005-04-06, 11:49 PM
There is actually something quite like this on this very message board. If you look up from the contest board there is something called "community world building." There we come up with ideas for a campaign setting, and vote on the ones we like. It's very much like a contest.

Yeah I looked into that and it seems like unless you were there from the start getting into it would be a lot of work. Plus having a personal competition as opposed to a community, might give other interesting campaign results. People could present ideas that they have been brooding over and not worry about it fitting into the current community campaign.

Esk1mo
2005-04-16, 05:45 PM
We want a contest!
When do we want it?

Peregrine
2005-04-16, 06:53 PM
Well, glancing over the board, here's what's been run so far:

* Screen-name PrC
* Spells to fit a theme
* Pantheon design
* Festival design
* Magic items to fit a theme

So that's classes, spells, items, and a couple of setting elements. I think having a feat competition next works just in the interests of mixing it up.

(Unfortunately some of my best ideas so far would be great for a rerun of the Spell Theme contest... :()

Beelzebub1111
2005-04-16, 09:31 PM
Make a Monster? or group of monsters for the vastly creative.

kakita
2005-04-17, 01:23 PM
I'd... kinda worry about having a contest to begin with before worrying abt the topic of the contest :-/

WampaX
2005-04-17, 04:58 PM
Once we get some things sorted out, contests will be on like Donkey Kong . . . so to speak.

The Giant didn't make a Contests board for nothing, you know. ;D

kakita
2005-04-17, 07:58 PM
Well, how about NPC generation? Someone to give a really good backstory to. He doesn't need to be a villian, or maybe even very powerful, but I'm sure we've all wondered why that dwarf decided to leave his clan to be a blacksmith in a human village, or what deeds of valour the captain of the guard had to attain to reach his position.

Mick_the_Rogue
2005-04-22, 08:36 AM
Or for that matter how about who has the best backstory on their own PC, and who roleplays the best with it. Seeing as how dungeons and dragons is a 'roleplaying game' I feel that we should reward people who are good at, just that, roleplaying, but maybe that's just me.

AdInfinitum
2005-04-25, 08:44 PM
Or....something....anything...

kakita
2005-04-26, 01:04 AM
Or for that matter how about who has the best backstory on their own PC, and who roleplays the best with it. Seeing as how dungeons and dragons is a 'roleplaying game' I feel that we should reward people who are good at, just that, roleplaying, but maybe that's just me.

How about funniest/weirdest backstory ever?

AngelSword
2005-04-26, 07:37 AM
How about funniest/weirdest backstory ever?
Well, the thing with that is that what a lot of people might consider as "good" is too subjective for something like this.

What about a "new PC race" contest? With things like "Most Original," "Best use of a Level Adjustment," and "Funniest" awards?

Balrogossah
2005-04-29, 05:48 AM
I've noticed that a lot of you mentioned a monster contest. Has there ever been one?, I used to run a few on the WotC boards. Of course you would need themes... :P

Monsters named after bands
Monsters of a certain type/subtype
Monsters from a certain enviroment
Monsters named after your own username

Thats just a few examples, you could be more precise and run a contest like 'Undead of Good Alignment' or 'Intelligent Oozes'. Another kind of contest you could run is an art contest, but thats only because i'm an artist... ;D

Baron
2005-04-29, 06:30 AM
dunno, sounds a bit restrictive to me. What if I wanna design a monster of a different environment/subtype/alignment

Sorry if I sound slightly jaded, but in all honesty I have reservations about running another contest after the initial reception the last one recieved.

OK running a contest doesn't take loads of effort, but it does take some and when it's done in a spare five minutes that could be spent elsewhere, fending off a series of complaints because it isn't exactly what X wanted running aint all that fun.

If people will accept a contest in the spirit it's offered I would consider stepping forward and running a "Design a Monster" comp.

Sound fair enough? :-/

The Glyphstone
2005-04-29, 09:21 AM
who was complaining? I thought the MAgic Items contest was tons of fun.

Esk1mo
2005-04-29, 11:35 AM
If it doesn't take too much effort, how about we have 2 or 3 contests running to accommodate for more people. Also if you're worried about people complaining run a vote.

Creating a monster does sound like a good idea, but looking back on the post for ideas since the last contest only some 3 people mentioned interest in making a monster.

It seems the majority of people want either some story/campaign oriented contest or some sort of NPC/Villain creation contest. I think if we had a contest less geared towards mechanics like the last contest and more geared towards story, more people would be happy.

White Blade
2005-04-29, 01:35 PM
Yeah um guys, we really need a contest (really dang boring) so let's just go with the monster contest. (even if it's not popular we do want a contest at very least right?) Who's with me on our stopping complaining, our end to whining and just getting a damn contest.

Esk1mo
2005-04-29, 04:00 PM
Um no. Settling for crappy second best is lame, especially when we have the attention of the mods now. We know someone in authority is listening so lets get this done right and do what the majority of the people here want to do.

White Blade
2005-04-29, 04:23 PM
How do you know it's crappy or second best? We have the mods standing there openly WILLING to run a contest, second best is better then none (although it is possible we aren't going to get it now because this might constitute complaining.) half-empty is more accurate then half full in this case. We haven't had a contest since march and I really rather we just get one already.

Esk1mo
2005-04-29, 04:37 PM
Hey I'm all for a contest. Let's just not have it be the minority choice.

White Blade
2005-04-29, 04:41 PM
I missed the part where this was a democracy.... Sorry didn't you notice, we aren't. We can't make a contest without the mods, and the mods don't need us for a contest nor do they need a contest. Sorry but thats the way it is (pessimism rocks so hard man...)

Ikkitosen
2005-04-29, 07:11 PM
Ikki says:

Screw what we want (to some extent) and pick a contest you (as a mod) will be willing to run. Hopefully after last time people will keep their complaints to themselves and just try to do a good job! :)

There's 1 idea in the pot - monsters. Let's have that one and then (assuming there'll be more) perhaps the mod running the contest would browse a couple of threads to gauge popular desire. After that make a command decision and run with it. :)

Thanks Baron, WampaX and all other involved mods.

Esk1mo
2005-04-29, 07:32 PM
I missed the part where this was a democracy.... Sorry didn't you notice, we aren't.
Oh man the sentence structure...So clever...How do I respond?

This may not be a democracy, but it is a community. (At least it better be or I don't know why I'm here)

It makes sense as a mod to try to cater to the participants wants and needs, because sadly yes the mods do need people to participate in their contests. I'm just trying to nip the previous problem in the butt before the contest starts. Basically if we and the mods use common sense then this next contest will have less problems than the last one apparently had.

White Blade
2005-04-29, 10:38 PM
I also missed the part... where you forgot to.... put spaces on the end of your: .....
The previous problem results from discontent with a the rules, the concept it self had over a page worth of go for it, in this very thread. We don't have any ideas already constructed for the monster things so we don't have any problem with whatever we thought of before. (even thou my favorite contest is the NPC one) I say we nip the REAL problem in the butt before it gets out.

nows7
2005-05-01, 10:08 AM
Ok, Come on guys... Lets let the Mods mod.

Mod's I entrust us into your hands.

Sacrath
2005-05-02, 11:00 AM
Of course, if you guys want to continue this wonderful discussion I have a great english grammar forum you could join.

Esk1mo
2005-05-02, 11:15 AM
It makes sense as a mod to try to cater to the participants wants and needs, because sadly yes the mods do need people to participate in their contests. I'm just trying to nip the previous problem in the butt before the contest starts. Basically if we and the mods use common sense then this next contest will have less problems than the last one apparently had.

No one besides whiteblade has addressed the real argument/problem at hand. Is everyone really content with going with the contest idea that just happened to be the last posted? Whats really the point of the contest idea thread then?

White Blade
2005-05-02, 11:21 AM
The original point of the Contest Ideas thread was to help the mods get some good ideas for it, something to get the juices going with a good idea.

Esk1mo
2005-05-02, 12:14 PM
Hmm. I guess I was under some major wrong impressions. Whatever. As long as everyone is happy i guess. I apologize for wasting everyone's time. :P

garand
2005-05-02, 01:38 PM
I would just like a contest. Any contest. :P

The Glyphstone
2005-05-02, 06:18 PM
pleeeeease....connntesssst.... it's so precciious to us...

White Blade
2005-05-02, 06:23 PM
yes, a contest any contest...

Premier
2005-05-03, 06:12 AM
Y'know people, if you're so painfully bursting with creative energies, you can just go ahead and write about something, anything that interests you. It's not like you need a contest in order to create some RPG material.

Sped55
2005-05-04, 06:40 AM
I like the best spell idea I read earlier.
I think a PrC contest were the Giant supplies the name and we all make up a PrC to match it. That Could get a little repeatitive if the name is to percise.
Maybe the best spellcasting or warrior PrC would be better.

garand
2005-05-04, 10:21 AM
A distance runner doesn't need an organized marathon to run a huge distance. In fact, they often do run huge distances independantly. That still doesn't stop them from wanting to run with a whole group to showcase their skill and hard work.

Everyman
2005-05-04, 01:17 PM
Uh...I'm a bit new to the forum, but couldn't someone just set-up a contest SOMEWHERE and then let people know what's what? It seems a little silly waiting for moderators to lead us by the hand here.

*Sigh*

Well, I'm open to suggestions (aka. I like everyone's ideas for a contest). If it came down to it, I'd be willing to run a contest...assuming that I'm allowed.

Later.

White Blade
2005-05-04, 01:38 PM
A wise sage I knew said "Never assume" of course he assumed I was listening ::)

Everyman
2005-05-04, 08:25 PM
Eh...that's true. I wonder what it takes to run a contest. Can we just set up the thread, or do we need permission?

Answer me, Oh Mighty Mods!

Premier
2005-05-05, 12:33 PM
A distance runner doesn't need an organized marathon to run a huge distance. In fact, they often do run huge distances independantly. That still doesn't stop them from wanting to run with a whole group to showcase their skill and hard work.

The metaphor fails because unlike the performance of the solitary runner, the performance of the solitary content creator WILL get noticed, and it WILL showcase his skill and hard work, because it WILL be read as long as its posted.

Sacrath
2005-05-06, 10:24 AM
The mods are fickle spirits... before a contest they DEMAND SACRAFICE!!!! Any volunteers?
Anyway, I create stuff all the time (I do run a campaign by the way) the reason for a contest is to focus many people into creating somehting of simmilar content then choosing the best one, so instead of my 6 spells we have 12 people's 6 spells, 72 spells, playable content!

Everyman
2005-05-06, 10:34 AM
Ahem....I shall now read from the Book of Adverbs.

And ye they did rise their pleas to the mods.
The mods, in their grace, did grant the followers the
contest. And lo, one person did stand, and he
became the scion of the ages, where his judgement
did reign, and the people rejoiced at his games.

In short, I'll run the contest. Better than waiting around arguing and debating. Give me a few days to figure out what I'll run. :)

Later.

Sacrath
2005-05-06, 10:55 AM
Taking the place of the mods and starting a contest! Blaspheme!
No seriously though, all the best luck, what ever you make I'll enter.

AdInfinitum
2005-05-06, 05:13 PM
Exalted feats. We need more.

pumpkinetics
2005-05-06, 06:42 PM
Hey, there have been calls for PRC contests, but why not a base class contest?

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-05-06, 11:04 PM
Comrade Gorby: Given my recent promotion and all, I believe I shall be starting a new contest here very soon. Just have to clear a few things and nail down the final concept for it.

Also, to clarify a few things that have been brought up previously, the Contest Ideas thread is, as pointed out by White Blade, to help give us mods some ideas to build off of. The contests are designed specifically to be a bit different, to stretch your game design skills.

There was one unofficial contest previously (the Pantheon Design contest), so it may be possible for other such contests to be started with mod approval at some future date, but for now policy is that this board should be limited to official contests only, as per the Giant's post near the beginning of this thread.

Hope that clears a few things up!

Everyman
2005-05-07, 12:57 PM
It certainly does.

Sorry if I was steppin' on someone's toes. I've been trying to IM mods, but no one would answer.

Anywho, here's to a new contest! Whoo!

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-05-07, 04:22 PM
Not a problem, Tarkhan. Everyone's just been busy lately.

Esk1mo
2005-05-07, 05:23 PM
Of course as soon as a contest comes out finals week has to start. Oh well.

So heres to everyone and their finals. Good Luck!

Mick_the_Rogue
2005-06-12, 07:05 PM
an idea could also be to rate the IC threads and award perhaps the DM or players or something. award it on the basis of plot, character development, and perhaps just overall comedy? Jut an idea.

sktarq
2005-06-12, 08:07 PM
What about the creation of a town as the contest?

And i do mean town....not citiy those will end up being far too much reading. If the Mods think a town will still be too much reading, how about a village or thorp sized comunity.

Catagories Ideas: best history, humor, best exploration of an idea, best flavor/descriptive text, most realistic, best map (maps oppional), best leadership/justice system, best human, best multiracial, best non-human (and i should FEEL nonhuman not a human town with a bunch of nonhumans about), etc etc

Winged One
2005-06-12, 10:13 PM
Perhaps a contest to design the official version of Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion.*evil PC laughter*

There could be best mechanics, best flavor, best descriptors, best material componet, ect.

*more evil PC laughter*

Dragon_Rider
2005-06-12, 10:45 PM
I think a "Create a Monster" thread, awards could include: Best Monstrous PC Race, best Epic Monster, Best Evil monster, Best Good monster, etc.

DeadlyGrim
2005-06-12, 11:06 PM
Hmmm, creating a monster would be pretty difficult...mostly because all I can think right now of is Cthulhu mythos monsters. But that would be pretty interesting, especially if one were to invest time in creating the culture of said monster.

I also sort of like the creating a town things. That would be pretty cool.

Hmmm, so hard to think of something because every time I think of something good, it looks like somebody already suggested it.

How about creating a "abode"? Every villain/plot-device character/cool-guy needs a house, prefably one that is unique at they are. This would probably be a lot of work, but it could be pretty cool. You know you want to design the dark, spiky, iron tower located in the fires of Mt. Apocalypse for your big, bad, evil guy!

Or maybe "something" (maybe "anything") whose theme is around something that one doesn't usually use in DnD? Sort of like the Netbook of Chocolate (which is very funny, I suggest you google it) but smaller in scope.

Mmmmm, Summon Box of Chocolate Toffees...

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-06-13, 04:54 AM
Actually, I think we already have an idea for the next contest picked. It should be announced presently. ;) But keep the ideas coming!

Safria
2005-06-13, 06:02 AM
Humm don't know whether this ahs been suggested but maybe best campaign setting or design a dungeon?

Glinelen
2005-06-13, 07:45 AM
Yes, a campaign setting or theme could be really great.
My friends want me to DM a campaign, but so far I couldn't come up with a good enough plot. A contest like this could really help me out.

Mick_the_Rogue
2005-06-13, 10:41 AM
Well for that matter we could do one based on campaign settiinng, catagories could be like funniest, best, and the like.

Everyman
2005-06-13, 01:55 PM
This might be a tad too out-there, but why not have people design a Prestige Class? If there is anything that could be judged based on originality, flavour, balance, etc, Pretige classes are it. ;D

Eh...that's my opinion anyway.

Xick
2005-06-13, 02:04 PM
if this has already been said then i'm sorry.

but how about challenges?

the most creative encounter?

Chris_Chandler
2005-06-13, 04:13 PM
How about building an organization? I think it would be interesting to see what sorts of socities or entities the board could create. It would certainly be detailed, complete with a hierarchy of command, current leadership, connections to a campaign world, prestige classes, and adventure hooks. I know the current contest has probably been chosen, but perhaps for later?

Zherog
2005-06-13, 09:00 PM
This might be a tad too out-there, but why not have people design a Prestige Class? If there is anything that could be judged based on originality, flavour, balance, etc, Pretige classes are it. ;D

Eh...that's my opinion anyway.

It's been done already. :)

Everyman
2005-06-14, 05:03 AM
Ah...I see. This is what I get for not checking the archives and writing that on the fly. Lemme think about this then.

Zherog
2005-06-14, 06:59 AM
That just verifies it was a good idea. ;)

Everyman
2005-06-14, 02:03 PM
Ah, now I see why I didn't notice that we had done the whole Prestige shtick before. They had be based on screen names... ;D

Anywho, I'd still like to see that contest again in the future, but without the screen name restriction and maybe requiring another theme.

Another idea I had was to design a series of feats based on a theme or concept. For example, the Draconic feats are feats open only to sorcerers, and it builds on the idea that a sorcerer's power stems from some sort of tie to dragon blood. Making a series of feats like that sounds fun.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-06-14, 11:23 PM
Has anyone suggested Best Side-Quest? Rewards could be for Most Chalenging, Funiest, ETC.

AdInfinitum
2005-06-15, 02:46 AM
Anywho, I'd still like to see that contest again in the future, but without the screen name restriction and maybe requiring another theme.

I cannot emphasize enough how much I agree with this statement.

Winged One
2005-06-15, 11:46 PM
I dunno, I could probably crank something good out.

Premier
2005-06-16, 04:50 PM
I think we should try to hold a contest about something different some day. Like, something that's not 3rd/3.5th edition D&D. Possibly something that's not even fantasy or a WotC product at all. Of course, since most people might not be familiar with anything else, we might want to do something platform-independent.

I think it would be interesting.

Esk1mo
2005-06-16, 08:29 PM
Something that focuses less on the mechanics of 3.5 DnD would be nice. Something more plot/roleplaying driven might suffice for those different needs.

I like the idea of some sort of side-quest/mini-adventure contest.

Something having to do with followers or sidekicks also would be cool.

Grey Watcher
2005-06-16, 09:17 PM
Something that focuses less on the mechanics of 3.5 DnD would be nice. Something more plot/roleplaying driven might suffice for those different needs.

Well, as Gorby mentioned, the subject of the next contest has already been decided (thought some kinks do need to be worked out before it's posted), but I can say that it well be on the less crunchy side of the spectrum.

Zherog
2005-06-17, 12:37 AM
... I can say that it well be on the less crunchy side of the spectrum.

Bummer. ;)

Sneak
2005-06-17, 09:53 AM

I definitely agree with that. I'm not really into the mechanics of DnD at all, which is why I play NwN and Baldur's Gate, etc., and not real DnD. I would love to have something like that, because that would mean that I might actually be able to participitate in the contest. I'm more into what's actually going on than how it's going on, like the numbers and stats and feats and everything.

I realize that this is a gaming forum, but still...

Unpleasant
2005-06-17, 06:56 PM
Anyone suggested an Advenure/Mini-Campaign idea?

Not a complete adventure but a synopsis/chapter breakdown.

Everyman
2005-06-19, 01:20 AM
Hmmm...when exactly will the next contest be announced? I'm hoping it's soon, as I really would like something to help me pass the hours before and after work.

...And maybe something to entertain me when I'm bored at work. ;)

setenza
2005-06-20, 11:07 AM
Well, since we're just pitching ideas until the next contest is posted, how about best original Knowledge, Craft, Profession or Perform skill?

Blue_C.
2005-06-20, 01:21 PM
Well, since we're just pitching ideas until the next contest is posted, how about best original Knowledge, Craft, Profession or Perform skill?
That might be cool as a filler contest, like a week long event to keep us happy while we wait for the next contest to start.

The Glyphstone
2005-06-20, 03:32 PM
It would be interesting, not enough for a full contest though. What kind of things would you do/create?

ArlEammon
2005-06-20, 04:37 PM
How about best D&D nation?

King_of_GRiffins
2005-06-20, 06:30 PM
This really is taking to long, isnt it? I suggest we take all the ideas and put them to a vote. Most votes win. If there is a tie we flip a coin and have our next 2 contest set out.

Sneak
2005-06-20, 07:25 PM
I guess, but that seems a bit complicated. And it's hard to do a coin flip online, unless the person who flips the coin is trusted by everyone.

Esk1mo
2005-06-20, 09:41 PM
Sadly this isn't a democracy.

I learned that the hard way ::)

This thread is strictly set up for ideas that the admin in charge can draw from.

At least that was what I was told :P

sktarq
2005-06-25, 12:59 AM
I've heard that the next contest subject has already been picked. Will somebody say what it is?

Everyman
2005-06-25, 03:11 AM
Yes, please do!

Grey Watcher
2005-06-27, 12:15 PM
I apologize for the delay. I'm on vacation at the moment so I haven't been able to finish it up. I'm shooting for opening the contest on July 1st, so please, be patient with me. As for what it's going to be, I was going to wait until it opens formally to announce it, but I suppose it can't be called a head start if everyone knows about it. You're going to be designing a city. If you want the details as to the categories and criteria, well, you'll just have to wait until July 1. ;-)

The Glyphstone
2005-06-27, 05:06 PM
ooh..gotta get started. Hmm.. maybe a city that worships a peaceful golem, and has a ruling council possessed by evil magic items...a sure shoo-in! ;D ;D

Safria
2005-06-28, 05:18 AM
Ok I just know whatever I design at the moment is going to be affected by the fact that i've just saw batman begins and am having geekasms over the car.

setenza
2005-06-28, 11:10 AM
Sweet, a valid excuse to grind out places to go to in my campaign. The PCs were wondering why the map outside of their home town said "Here there be sarpents".

Zherog
2005-06-28, 08:01 PM
What's a sarpent? ???

The Demented One
2005-06-28, 10:47 PM
Know exactly what I'll be doing. Huzzah!

Frojoe21
2005-06-30, 05:11 PM
I'll be making full use of the tavern naming percentile charts in the DMGII, as soon as I get it that is.

Randomman413
2005-06-30, 08:00 PM
OOOH! OOOH! A CONTEST ABOUT THE FUNNIEST/COOLEST/MOST (insert adjective here) ITEM! OH MY GOD A WIN GIVE ME A PRIZE!!!

Everyman
2005-07-01, 02:43 AM
Um....has been done. Fairly recently too (2 months ago).

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-07-01, 10:19 AM
Hey, folks, just to let you know - GW is finishing up the rules for the new contest, and will be posting it sometime later today. I think you guys will really enjoy it :)

The Glyphstone
2005-07-01, 10:36 AM
he he he... :D

setenza
2005-07-01, 11:33 AM
Why does that chuckle make me think you've already won before the game begins? <sigh> Some days it's not even worth getting out of bed...

Wukei
2005-07-01, 11:50 AM
I think I might try this contest this month... I'm pretty good at coming up with stuff out of nowhere...

Grey Watcher
2005-07-01, 11:55 AM
Just for an update, the contest should be up this evening (at least, by my clock). Either way, expect it within the next 12 hours (I apologize for running a little late, but I have plans with a friend today). The contest is mostly complete, I just need to refine a few points before I post it.

Estrogen
2005-07-02, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but are there ever any photoshop contests, or anything of the like?

Demias
2005-07-04, 11:19 PM
So... What do you have to do to win a contest then?

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-07-05, 02:23 PM
We haven't, and probably won't, run any official image making contests, mainly because the board overall focusses on table-top RPG stuff, though there is some potential for a contest to make fantasy art, though generally its felt the design contests are a bit more inclusive than art contests.

In order to win a contest, people have to vote for your entry at the end of the contest. Most of the award categories are decided by secret votes (via PM to a dummy user name) at the end of the contest, though the staff award is chosen by the person running the contest.

Wukei
2005-07-05, 02:27 PM
Ullii, go to the thread above contests in game design. There's a submit artwork thing there.

Jibar
2005-07-10, 01:36 PM
If there's another magic items contest I'll enter, but are you alowd to enetr more than 1 thing per contest entry? Cos the other day I doodled up some magic items and came up with rules for them all, and if I entered 1 I'd have to enter them all,

The Glyphstone
2005-07-10, 01:47 PM
The magic item contest's over, but if there's another one, the mods have said there's no reason you can't enter multiple submissions. And the last one was a magic item SET competition too.

Jibar
2005-07-10, 02:02 PM
So when is the next compotition?

Raskannu
2005-07-13, 10:50 PM
um, are we allowed giving Ideas for contests here?

Just cheking.

Grey Watcher
2005-07-13, 10:51 PM
So when is the next compotition?

There's one going on right now, the Monumental City Contest. Check out the Sticy thread!

Jibar
2005-07-15, 10:56 AM
That bit was kinda obvious, I meant when will the next one start, the next non-city one,

Grey Watcher
2005-07-18, 04:09 PM
That bit was kinda obvious, I meant when will the next one start, the next non-city one,

Not until at least a week into August, since we like to run one contest at a time. Since these contests are run by the staff, we don't really know exactly when.

Jibar
2005-07-21, 03:23 PM
ah, that gives me plenty of time to prepar.
And I suggest a new prestige class compotition,

yer thats all from me now,

Blue_C.
2005-07-21, 04:32 PM
Nah, new monster. Prestige classes have been done, though it might be time to go again soon.

Pop Goes the Weasel
2005-07-22, 06:48 PM
How about a Core Class contest?

Angry_Bill
2005-08-01, 02:42 PM
How about a contest for an "average" villain?

Not your evil witch-king.

Not your foul pit dwelling dragons.

Not you devil-dealing necromancers.

But a "mortal" low-powered thorn-in-the-side of all that cross them bad-guy.

Like Fat Bob the One-Eyed Bounty Hunter. Or Edgar the Constipated the local tax collector. Or Skinny Elsie the bar maid the party stiffed in <insert city>.

Bill

tokara2132
2005-08-02, 02:44 PM
Well, I actually have a couple ideas, even though this is my first post ever.

-New PC Race contest
-New 5 Level Prestige Class contest
-New 10 Level Prestige Class contest

Other possibilities include

- Stupid Rouge Tricks
- Really Bad Moves
- The PC Stupidity Awards
- Real bad class cobinations
- Bad things turning good

Hey, tell me what you guys think!

Arakano
2005-08-02, 04:11 PM
I add a few suggestions - some good some bad I guess:

- a campaign region (not a world, not a city, something in between. :D ).
- an empire
- a dragon lair
- an order of knights/wizards (one or the other of course - or maybe even a combination like those phantom knights from Eberron)

Rykounagin
2005-08-03, 09:12 PM
Here's an idea, how about an "Opening description" contest? I mean the opening speech about where you start is ALWAYS the most important is it not? It's the key to the car, ect.

heretic
2005-08-08, 04:22 PM
I agree with the organization idea. (A order of knights, wizard colledge, etc.) I think there are quite enough PrC's already, and Races can only go so far. Maybe house rules? Just a thought.

Cantankerous
2005-08-08, 08:46 PM
I personally would like to go for anything that explores a certain theme.

My favorite idea for this is a contest where one creates four to five monsters with some connected theme, but the catch is that they have to of different types and varying Challenge Ratings.

Or the creation of multiple Prestige Classes that run along a certain theme - one for a combat-oriented character, one for an arcane spellcaster, one for a person focused in subterfuge, etc.

My personal peeve with the current contest was that it was nearly all fluff. I admit I like crunch.