PDA

View Full Version : Dethroning Moments Of Suck

Elm11
2008-11-17, 06:25 AM
Greetings fellow playgrounders,

Sorry if there is already a thread like this, but i haven't seen one, and i think this woulf be a funny idea.

Can you ever think back to a time, any time at all, when you, your dm, or one of your fellow players/characters did something so rediculously stupid that you just hung your head in shame? huh? well? did ya?

Unfortunately, i don't have a great starter, but i can remember when my our parrty was travelling in an aztec setting city, and went to visit the school (plot, something about a serial killer butchering elf children). as we walk into the main hall, we hear banging coming from a locker (lockers? aztec? :smallconfused:). Anyway, the sadistic scary goblin warlock of the party opens it and sees a small halfling child. Not one for halflings, he slams the locker door back on the child. Another party members lifts the child out, but the boy wrestles free of him and starts to run. The goblin, fearing (discovery? god only knows) thinks on his feet... and blasts the innocent child with an eldritch blast. Critical hit, the halfling has 3 hp....

After disposing of the body, we continue on to find several other things including sars bricks :smallconfused: and a department of indiana jones :smallcool:. Eventually the trip ends with the janitor dead, and the principle in the belief that he had been on the (tv show?!) "we just killed your school child after a natural 20 on a bluff roll.

By the way, our dm is somewhat scary :smalleek:.

Heliomance
2008-11-17, 06:26 AM
TV Tropes Flaming Combo Attack! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesFlamingComboAttack)

Oh, wait. You're not proposing a new trope.

Carry on then.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-17, 06:31 AM
This was suggested as a Trope a while back but got shot down because
It came to close to Complaining About Shows You Don't Like
The "Crowining Moment of XYZ" thing has gone too far.
99% of proposed examples where just Shark Jumping.

Elm11
2008-11-17, 06:38 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a trope?

also, i in no way mean this to be an "i hate bla" thread, i'm talking about genuine funny fail.

And sorry about the naiveness

BobVosh
2008-11-17, 06:46 AM

also, i in no way mean this to be an "i hate bla" thread, i'm talking about genuine funny fail.

www.tvtropes.org

Hit random near the top right. Open with tabs all the links that interest you. Read...Realize 3 hours have gone by and you have stood someone up. Decide oh well and read some more. You have now missed work. One more link...

Er... Basically tropes is common stuff that pops up a lot, and obviously tv tropes are for the television. Lots of fun to read.

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-17, 07:24 AM
My very first session of D&D was joining my brother's level 4 game, where in a previous session the DM had gotten him accidentally infected with Lycanthropy (Boar), making him quite powerful compared to the rest of the party. As we sat in the bar, a high level lycanthrophobic party came along and masacered him, turning him into fine paste, just because she didn't want to deal with the power imbalance.

Attilargh
2008-11-17, 07:32 AM
I once played a Monk with the Vow of Poverty.

That's not the moment of suck. Me, my Ranger-playing friend and out Fighter NPC followed some suspicious-looking tracks left by a Large creature into a sewer, with only two regular torches to light our way.

That wasn't the moment of suck either. Turns out the enemy was a smart Water Troll and we, uh, stuck around and tried to fight it.

Yeah, that didn't end too well.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-17, 08:12 AM
I've posted this before, but it's very appropriate here, as it is the most humiliating moment in my entire D&D career. Yes, even more humiliating than the time I tried to convince the goblins in our 4e game we were delivering a pizza.

The infamous "Goblin Siege Incident".

It was when my brother and I were young and stupid D&D players and we were all gonna do something with the Epic Level Handbook.

My brother's paladin got a free castle built by dwarves on an island on his very own private demiplane. So one day our epic characters are chillin' in his castle when the water outside drains away to reveal a horde of millions upon millions of goblins, with gnome submersibles, juggernauts and red dragons. And we were the only ones in the castle!

Hilarity ensued, culminating with my character trying to ride the paladin's mount over to him so I could assist him in fighting the goblins, failing my Ride check miserably which resulted in me flipping forward off the horse, and impaling myself on a goblin spear stuck in the ground, then looking up to see a massive, red, clawed foot descending towards me before I was squashed like a bug!

And then after the whole debacle, we woke up to find we had been ressurected by a mysterious force, the castle's refridgerator was empty and the Hieroneous symbols in the chapel on the top floor had been crossed out with Hextor symbols doodled on the walls. And the castle was otherwise unharmed. The water was still gone and littered with grounded gnome submersibles though.

Blackfang108
2008-11-17, 09:46 AM
This was suggested as a Trope a while back but got shot down because
It came to close to Complaining About Shows You Don't Like
The "Crowining Moment of XYZ" thing has gone too far.
99% of proposed examples where just Shark Jumping.

Be nice.

Not everyone has heard of tvtropes yet.

Ivius
2008-11-17, 10:01 AM
I summoned a horse. In a basement.

Mystral
2008-11-17, 10:27 AM
Here's one of mine (Dragon Dawn campaign)

Recently, me (a warrior), a mage, a scout and a scoundrel were pilfering trough the basement of a lond deceased magician. We all were wounded and pretty shaken up, but it seemed like there wouldn't be anymore fights (we had to kill a dozen guards, an ogre and an evil priestess to even get in there). We stumbled upon an old forge with a metal bar in it, seemingly quite valluable (magic metal, pretty rare in this campaign). So, the scout took the metal bar and a small fire mephit (or something similar) attacked us. We managed to kill it dead after a pretty rough fight, but decided to leave the metal bar where it was because it seemed to summon a new Mephit after we killed the first one.

A few minutes later, we had looked into every room in the basement and decided to leave and tell our employer about our findings. Cue to the scout, who decided to get the magic metal after all. Of course, another mephit attacked us. As we were in no condition to fight, we decided to leg it out of the dungeon. The DM asked the player of the scout "Did you take the metal bar with you?" and the player of the scout _rolled a dice_ to see if he did.

Naturally, he did. One combat round later, both the mage and my warrior were dead, the scoundrel was unconcious and the scout was the last one on his feet.

Draken
2008-11-17, 10:38 AM
Well, here goes a pair.

Our DM decided to make "solo previews" for each member of the party before the real campaign started.

So our sorcerer:

In his preview adventure, he basically got killed by a goblin, before the campaign even started. The DM had to fiat his survival.

My Incarnate:

Well, I had this epic level 1 battle against a fighter bandit, while trying to protect the caravan's leader.

So, what we have here is, me and the DM having a sequence of crappy rolls that couldn't hit the other's AC. Eventually, the bandit landed a blow that got me into the negatives. My Mantle of Flame, in return, got him in the negatives as well.

Talk about dumb luck.

Later I got healed by the caravan leader, and along with my payment the guy gave me a bag of drugs. My Lawful incarnate was annoyed because his employer was a contrabandist. And the bandit was actually someone the contrabandist had wronged in the past. But meh, this incarnate was basically a "Human Marut", a follower of (that LN god of detah from Forgotten Realms) out to kill people who wanted to live forever, not out to hunt criminals, so he really didn't care a lot after throwing the drugs away.

Satyr
2008-11-17, 11:27 AM
I once played in a group where two of the players were a couple for six years or so and broke up. We continued to play with the group (and the former couple) who still lived together. Two weeks or so after they were officially divided, the male part of said couple had a new girlfriend - who was also a good friend of his ex and a part of our group. While he and his ex were still living in the same appartment. To put it short, the friendship between the two girls didn't survive.

On the character level, the characters of the new girlfriend and me had a very long and somewhat romantic relationship and we were used to flirt with each other on the character level, just for fun. Which we soon ceased to do, because it lead to a storm of silence, jealous stares, a general drop of room temperature and a slightly hostile atmosphere.

Now, just to make it even more fun, the new couple moved in together, while the ex-girlfriend moved in with the fifth member of the round (who at least never had anything similar to a relationship to any other player or character). Now, I sat alone in a group with two couples who despised each other but no one was willing to end the group in the middle of the campaign.

So suddenly the atmosphere of the games I mastered in that group slowly became more and more gloomy and gritty because I was just annoyed from the whole set-up (and listening to everybody's complaints about the others). They also became better, because I suck as a gamemaster when I try to tell nice and idyllic tales, and there were almost no out of character talking. I sat there with people who didn't talk with each other but through their characters, staying completely in-character for the whole evening.

Three months, were roleplaying were almost interchangeable with migrene.

theMycon
2008-11-17, 12:50 PM
I assumed something was going to stay dead, rather than spontaneously turn into a lich, because there was no reason or hint, and the normal creature had almost TPK'd us. However, I forgot my DM played to win, and didn't have a sense of humor about losing.

In other words, I used a (un)dead beholder as a magic eight ball.

No-one survived the surprise round.

rayne_dragon
2008-11-17, 01:02 PM
I had a player once who was playing a Paladin. I had to warn him about his behavior every session, since he frequently wanted to do things that were either unlawful or evil. That's not the worst part though, he mistakenly killed one of his party members, which is fine since he didn't know any better. However he then proceeds to examine the body, discovers the corpses identity and still loots the corpse! Welcome to being a fighter with no bonus feats.

Artanis
2008-11-17, 01:09 PM
During an Exalted session once, the Circle was confronted by an Abyssal. Not the typical "woe is me, life sucks, everything has to die to feel my pain" emo crap, this was a REALLY cool enemy. I seriously haven't heard of any enemy anywhere that was quite as cool.

Unfortunately, the DM forgot to give him a Perfect Defense.

My character had a Grand Daiklave. And won initiative.

One tick and over thirty lethal HL of damage later, the DM was swearing uncontrollably.

Orak
2008-11-17, 01:27 PM
I was DMing a group who were adventuring into one of the layers of the abyss to take on Lloth. This is back in 2nd ed when she only had 50ish hit points.

Everything in hell is evil in one way or another.

The juiced up warrior in the group finds a magical hammer in this hell that gives him nifty abilities. When he is alone the hammer talks to him. It tells him that he will be granted amazing powers if he opens his mind to him. The player decides that these great powers sound awesome and opens his mind to the hammer (voluntary failed will save).

Now the hammer controls the warrior.

When the final confrontation with Lloth happens the hammer uses the fighter to attack the rest of the party. It so happens that the hammer is infused with the soul of Lloths lieutenant and is quite happy to TKP a group of adventurers.

That is the grandest fail I have ever seen in 23 years of D&D.

Oh yeah, we had been playing these characters for over a year at the time of the wipe.

Friv
2008-11-17, 01:55 PM
Imagine, if you will, a party of Level 6 adventurers in a 3.0 D&D game - we had a human rogue, human cleric, halfling wizard, elven ranger, and human fighter. Not optimized, mind you, just a standard crew.

Following a map that we received some time earlier, we pass a 'wishing will' which the map indicates could be filled with treasure. Most of the party's kind of dubious, so the rogue decides to go down and check it out. The original rope is worn and nearly broken, so she hands a rope to the ranger (who's a big guy despite his elvenness) and shimmies down to take a look.

So, she's down there, yelling up to us that there's gold coins everywhere and we totally have to get down there. And then she stops talking, and notes are passed between the DM and her. And the rest of us get nervous.

So my character (the cleric) and his brother (the fighter), quickly go down the rope, still leaving the ranger holding it. We discover that there's an old natural cave about thirty feet down the well, knee-deep in water, see something slipping around the corner, and charge after it.

About two running actions behind us, the wizard grabs the rope, starts down - and critically fails his climb check. The ranger drops the rope to grab the wizard, and fails his Dexterity roll to do so by rolling a 2. The wizard falls thirty feet, takes 17 damage, and falls unconscious at -1 HP. Unfortunately, the cleric and fighter are already around the corner...

So, we discover that in addition to gold coins, there is a single water naga down here. It is busy choking the rogue to death. Fighter decides he can handle it, and charges into battle. The naga whallops him, dropping his Con down to about 6 - Fighter's return strike misses. The cleric casts Sanctuary and grabs the unconscious rogue, who was busy drowning. The naga attacks again, and poisons the Fighter again, and the Fighter hits Con 0 and dies. Behind us, the wizard is failing to stabilize and is also drowning, and the ranger is looking for another rope, having realized that he wasn't carrying one of his own and has no way down the well except for jumping.

Cleric is now trying to retreat back to the well, hoping to magic the wizard awake. He starts dumping spells into healing, bringing the rogue around as the naga starts beating on him. As previously mentioned, though, he's now three rounds of Run, six rounds of double-move, or twelve rounds of Move away, and every time he moves more than five feet, he gets AoOd by the pursuing naga. Rogue tries going in a different direction, sniping as the cleric gets killed. Then the naga acid arrows the rogue.

Up above the well, the ranger listens as the sounds of battle stop. He calls into the well. "Hello?" Waits. Sighs, shakes his head, sticks his hands in his pockets, and walks off.

ShaggyMarco
2008-11-17, 02:14 PM
First session of a new campaign-level 2:

I am running a Rogue/Sorcerer fencer/noble-man type character. I am more or less the party face. We are travelling to this mine that has lost contact with the local port town, to see what's up.

Along the way, we encounter an Owlbear. Some of the more impetuous members of the party rush it. I see a chance to flank it, so I move in a round later. I sneak-attack it and wound it.

It turns around, crits, and kills me. In one round. Dead right there, 2nd round of our very first combat.

I go to the other room to roll-up a new character.

As the party is travelling, an Enfarnian (home-brewed gentle-giant race) Monk catches up with them, offering to aid them, having been sent by the town council (my new PC). We travel along and eventually make camp. While my monk was on watch, he thinks he hears something coming from the tall grass. He moves to the edge of the clearing, near the tall-grass border to see if he can get a better look...and is pounced on. The lion crits and kills me...in the surprise round.

I'm getting good at generating PCs quickly. While they are having a funeral pyre for my Monk, I make a Salamander (home-brew fire-lizard-man race)Sorcerer, thinking that by staying away from bad-guys, I'll do fine. A portal of flame appears in the pyre's fire, and out steps my character, whose master had just used a spell to send him into an appropriately large fire on the lost continent (where the campaign was). My Sorcerer travels along with them to the mine.

At the mine we find that some corrupting slimes had taken over and killed lots of people, and that they were controlling a cult of slime-worshiping lizardfolk. We kille dmany of their lizardfolk minions, but eventually, the slimes came out. They were weak against Fire attacks, so I pissed them off with some of my spells, so they worked there way past the front line and engulfed me. These corrupting slimes dealt CHA damage, and in 2 rounds, my Charisma was 2 (from 18) and my spell-casting was neutered. Everytime I was Cha-drained, I had to make a Will save or give in to the corrupting influence. I finally failed and asked the DM if I could make a deal with the ancient-evil controlling the slimes in order to trade my life for power. The session ended.

Next session I started as and NPC big-bad with a new template and some new home-brewed boiling slime spells. The PCS ganged up on me, but not before I had set fire to their cart, their donkey, and killed their NPC town-guard liasion. They ran from me. I became an eventual campaign mini-villain (controlled by the DM after that point). Later that session, I started my new PC which survived until the campaign ended at level 21--an Orc (homebrewed version) Fighter with a maul and all the shield-bashing money can buy.

I lost 3 PCs in one session.

FinalJustice
2008-11-17, 02:34 PM
I had a literal Detrhoning Moment of Suck dethroning me from my Crowning Moment of Awesome:

Shorik, my Dwarf Monk (my first character) was, alongside the party, breaking into an abandonned tower. He was near his negatives, and was misleaded (by the dice) to swallow a random potion sure it was a healing potion. The DM randomly got potion of Jump. Ok, Shorik is now a jumpier almost dying dwarf (he was already quite a jumpy one thanks to his class, skill ranks and fondness to flashy moves).
Our not-so-smart-but-incredible-strong rogue (int 10, str 18, god, I LOVE newbie groups) was scouting, checking for traps, when he opens a door. Suddenly, he is knocked down by some sort of concussion ray coming from an orb in the middle of the room (DM likes Zelda and was using some of its buildings). Shorik, aware of his increased agility, decides to take the matter into his own hands before the party engaged in some stupid plan as usual. He runs towards the wall, outrunning the orb speed, jumps, circles some of the room walking on the wall, awaits the perfect moment to jump towards the orb to take it out of its pedestal and crash it down (that was a 20 in a tumble check)... He grabs the orb and prepares to punch it into oblivion while still in the air, thanks to the potion he took before...
DM narrates excited: There's a door in your way!
Me, cocky due to my character's awesomeness: I kick it open!
DM looks to his map, makes a face, and shows the map to me: Dude, there's a balcony beyond the door... And you are in the 3rd floor..
Shorik kicks the door and is about to punch the orb into the ground when he notices that there's no ground... Then... a second later... He notices gravity. 'Oh snap'. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GravityIsAHarshMistress) Shorik falls to the ground. Almost dies (2 hp left)...
"Still took out the orb" He brags to the party which, after realizing he was still alive, started laughing at him.

Doomsy
2008-11-17, 04:14 PM
I assumed something was going to stay dead, rather than spontaneously turn into a lich, because there was no reason or hint, and the normal creature had almost TPK'd us. However, I forgot my DM played to win, and didn't have a sense of humor about losing.

In other words, I used a (un)dead beholder as a magic eight ball.

No-one survived the surprise round.

Holy crap. That guy is a vicious bastard. I mean, damn. Just a normal encounter and he does that? How did you guys even make it past the first encounters without the bandits spontaneously turning into lycanthropes or rising as wights?

Flickerdart
2008-11-17, 05:35 PM
Holy crap. That guy is a vicious bastard. I mean, damn. Just a normal encounter and he does that? How did you guys even make it past the first encounters without the bandits spontaneously turning into lycanthropes or rising as wights?
Maybe they did, and theMycon was just too awesome for them to handle again.

Dr. Killjoy
2008-11-17, 06:05 PM
In my second session of D&D ever, a 22nd-level party of me and 5 others was going to battle a lich. We quickly disposed of his two flunkies (2 gunners who could barely hurt us, the battle was a complete joke) and got two halves of a key from their corpses. One party member (the monk, I believe) took the key halves and unlocked the door the key fit into.

The lich stepped out of the door, and the four party members who were nearest to it were hit by its death gaze. This is basically what followed:

DM: You four, make a fortitude save.

They did so, but apparently the dice hated them. Despite it being a DC of 24 and all of them having a massive fortitude bonus, not one of them made their saves. Within one turn, 2/3rds of the party died. The only ones left were the ones who didn't get hit by the death gaze: me (the ranger) and the rogue, who was staying near the back. Realizing that we'd screwed our chances for victory, I quickly made a plan to grab as many corpses as I could for resurrection and bail out.

DM: All right, Dr. Killjoy, your turn.

Me: Hmm...my fortitude bonus is pretty good. I'll run in, grab whatever corpses I can (starting with the wizard), then get out of here.

DM: The lich sees you, make a fort save.

Me: *Rolls, gets a 3* Crap...does a 21 save?

DM: 'Fraid not.

Me: Oh, fudge.

The rogue, seeing the obvious, bailed out. One player decided to just roll up a new character, while the rogue had to rescue the rest of our corpses (from which the enemies, of course, had stripped all of our wonderful, rare, expensive equipment) for resurrection. Not exactly a fun thing to happen on your second time ever playing the game.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-17, 06:24 PM
In my second session of D&D ever, a 22nd-level party of me and 5 others was going to battle a lich. We quickly disposed of his two flunkies (2 gunners who could barely hurt us, the battle was a complete joke) and got two halves of a key from their corpses. One party member (the monk, I believe) took the key halves and unlocked the door the key fit into.

The lich stepped out of the door, and the four party members who were nearest to it were hit by its death gaze. This is basically what followed:

DM: You four, make a fortitude save.

They did so, but apparently the dice hated them. Despite it being a DC of 24 and all of them having a massive fortitude bonus, not one of them made their saves. Within one turn, 2/3rds of the party died. The only ones left were the ones who didn't get hit by the death gaze: me (the ranger) and the rogue, who was staying near the back. Realizing that we'd screwed our chances for victory, I quickly made a plan to grab as many corpses as I could for resurrection and bail out.

DM: All right, Dr. Killjoy, your turn.

Me: Hmm...my fortitude bonus is pretty good. I'll run in, grab whatever corpses I can (starting with the wizard), then get out of here.

DM: The lich sees you, make a fort save.

Me: *Rolls, gets a 3* Crap...does a 21 save?

DM: 'Fraid not.

Me: Oh, fudge.

The rogue, seeing the obvious, bailed out. One player decided to just roll up a new character, while the rogue had to rescue the rest of our corpses (from which the enemies, of course, had stripped all of our wonderful, rare, expensive equipment) for resurrection. Not exactly a fun thing to happen on your second time ever playing the game.

Did you guys forget Death ward spell?
Seems like a good spell to have when Death is on the line (assume no sycililans or land wars in asia)

hotel_papa
2008-11-17, 07:14 PM
I was playing a(nother) dwarven monk, in an arena type situation. I thought I would get clever with two immovable rods by tumbling into our opponent's square, and shoving them down on the giant's feet. *Click* Immovable giant.

What I didn't count on was failing my tumble check and getting punched into the negatives.

Cathaidan
2008-11-17, 09:52 PM
My first time playing in D&D 3.0 (as opposed to running 3.0) we were playing in a Forgotten Realms campaign. The party allowed my half-orc, cleric of Tempus, with his mighty mighty INT of 6 and CHA of 6 to negotiate a deal with the Church of Waukeen in order to have a temple of Tempus built in a remote part of Cormyr that no one travels in. The deal was for some 10,000 gp, with 1/2 of all treasure found by the party to be collected as interest. The Temple of Waukeen was expecting me to barter, a concept far beyond the half-orc at the time. 10 levels later, the half-orc is dead and the party is still bound by the Geas that signing the contract placed them all under.

Lesson learned, never let the half-orc be your chief diplomatic/bartering source.

Shpadoinkle
2008-11-17, 11:23 PM
I'm playing a centaur ranger with the Giant Killer kit in a 2e game, which is a conversion of the 1e module Against the Giants. We started with Steading of the Hill Giant Chief, and we steaded the HELL out of him, as two centaurs (my character and one of my henchman) snuck into his room while he was asleep and forced him to make five save-or-die rolls in one round. That was pretty ****ing awesome.

All the time we were fighting the hill giants, we were harassing them with stuff like Continual Darkness, using Destroy Water to dry out the timbers they made thier fortress from and then burning it, cutting off the chief's head once we killed him and heaving it through the window of the watchtower the next day, and other things of that nature. Again, this was all fairly awesome.

The DMoS came as we were inspecting the basement of the fortress- we had managed to take care a lot of the things still there (releasing about two hundred orc slaves, along with a handful of others from other races, killing some troglodytes, carrion crawlers, and manticores, you know standard stuff) when we came accross the chief's personal treasure stash, which consisted of four chests. The first three had stuff like potions and scrolls and gold, and weren't trapped. The last, which my character opened, had a "save vs. poison or die instantly" needle trap. Guess what happened.

150 hill giants? **** that, I could handle that in my sleep! A single poison needle? Dead just like that. I was the first character to die, too. We were about level 5 or 6.

chiasaur11
2008-11-17, 11:36 PM
I had a literal Detrhoning Moment of Suck dethroning me from my Crowning Moment of Awesome:

Shorik, my Dwarf Monk (my first character) was, alongside the party, breaking into an abandonned tower. He was near his negatives, and was misleaded (by the dice) to swallow a random potion sure it was a healing potion. The DM randomly got potion of Jump. Ok, Shorik is now a jumpier almost dying dwarf (he was already quite a jumpy one thanks to his class, skill ranks and fondness to flashy moves).
Our not-so-smart-but-incredible-strong rogue (int 10, str 18, god, I LOVE newbie groups) was scouting, checking for traps, when he opens a door. Suddenly, he is knocked down by some sort of concussion ray coming from an orb in the middle of the room (DM likes Zelda and was using some of its buildings). Shorik, aware of his increased agility, decides to take the matter into his own hands before the party engaged in some stupid plan as usual. He runs towards the wall, outrunning the orb speed, jumps, circles some of the room walking on the wall, awaits the perfect moment to jump towards the orb to take it out of its pedestal and crash it down (that was a 20 in a tumble check)... He grabs the orb and prepares to punch it into oblivion while still in the air, thanks to the potion he took before...
DM narrates excited: There's a door in your way!
Me, cocky due to my character's awesomeness: I kick it open!
DM looks to his map, makes a face, and shows the map to me: Dude, there's a balcony beyond the door... And you are in the 3rd floor..
Shorik kicks the door and is about to punch the orb into the ground when he notices that there's no ground... Then... a second later... He notices gravity. 'Oh snap'. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GravityIsAHarshMistress) Shorik falls to the ground. Almost dies (2 hp left)...
"Still took out the orb" He brags to the party which, after realizing he was still alive, started laughing at him.
That one's all awesome.

All of it.

theMycon
2008-11-18, 12:53 AM

The "Spontaneous Lycanthropy" thing _did_ happen in the first encounter, but that was because he underestimated the group and wanted to make it legitimately balanced (or, he saw his first idea go down too easy and wanted revenge. No-one knows for sure). He was satisfied to kill 1 PC that night. So long as we did not mock his creations, his blood lust was abated. We learned to hold the balance between surviving and losing.*

However, he was a diabetic, and beholders were one of his favorite creatures. He goes from "bastard" normally to "vicious bastard" when his blood sugar is low.

*Also, I learned 1,001 tricks my cleric could pull to make sure everyone survives just a bit longer without anyone else slowing down. When you're not hurting folk or repeating your tricks, it's hard to notice you're what's letting everybody else do the killing.

Doomsy
2008-11-18, 02:45 AM
The "Spontaneous Lycanthropy" thing _did_ happen in the first encounter, but that was because he underestimated the group and wanted to make it legitimately balanced (or, he saw his first idea go down too easy and wanted revenge. No-one knows for sure). He was satisfied to kill 1 PC that night. So long as we did not mock his creations, his blood lust was abated. We learned to hold the balance between surviving and losing.*

However, he was a diabetic, and beholders were one of his favorite creatures. He goes from "bastard" normally to "vicious bastard" when his blood sugar is low.

*Also, I learned 1,001 tricks my cleric could pull to make sure everyone survives just a bit longer without anyone else slowing down. When you're not hurting folk or repeating your tricks, it's hard to notice you're what's letting everybody else do the killing.

Wow. He's a kill-count DM, I'm guessing. Hope you guys usually brought extra character sheets.

DrizztFan24
2008-11-18, 10:36 AM
With my characters always being the brains of the operations I have had many DMoS'. I can think of at elast two...both with vampires. But each had a crowning moment of awesome after the suckiness.

I think the party was about level 7(whenever the beguiler gets clairaudience). We had my beguiler, a dragon shaman, and a shapeshifter druid (she thought it seemed more powerful). We ahd to investigate these mysterious disappearances in a podunkville cottage. We note that the horses are awfully nervous, and there are no children around. The townsfolk all mention these mercenaries in town have taken the kids hostage in a seperate building and the people must work to save their kids. My character has assassin levels and a maxed out INT, the assassin levels boosted my beguiler casting too so it was awesome. Our character are confronted by a couple of people that want us to rest and get out. I had just gotten some new spells so I cast clairaudience on one of the guys mugs as I went upstairs. My guy found out where the kids were held and how many people were guarding the children, so I make a plan to bust out of the inn and rescue the kids.

We have about two hours before the mercs come up and murder us in our sleep. I set up a simple trap to blow up the upper section on the inn when my door in opened, no biggy. All of our character sneak outside and head towards the house with the kids and mercs. Usual recon shows the baddies and locations. My character decides to spiderclimb up the side of the house and sneak inside. Study the one guy upstairs and drop him Assassin's Creed style. Others pre-emptively busted open the front door and managed to slaughter the two guys downstairs. Kids are free but they mention that the barkeeps daughter is in the basement of the inn. Cue us sneaky BACK into the inn and into the basement...no kid. Just boxes. And some yellow mist floating in through the windows. That turns into two vampies.... Go beguiler spellcasting....

We proceeded to get our butts mostly kicked. One of the vampires was actually a spawn (with class levels) so he dropped easier. After a lucky crit the BBEG drops into mist and tries to float away. I used solid fog to slow him down and the druid used control water to spin the fog into a sphere and keep the outside of the sphere moving, thus preventing escape. We then head outside and pump the vamp into the blacksmith's billow. After this we have some fun and leave the billow out in the middle of a field on the dark and stormy night. With the druid having call lightning ready. I think the damage came out to 600 something. Phew, we finished the side quest...now back on the road to the real quest.

The other dethroning moment had a monk involved. We are trapped inside of an old cathedral with a whole bunch of puzzling clues and a few dead monks about. Cue vampire dropping in to visit us. He came every night at the same time so we tried to set up a trap for the next night. I think we were about level 8 at the time. We found out later that the vamp was ECL 15 or such. So we dig a big pit with a few special spells and get ready to trap the vamp inside. Cue BBEG. Mist floats in and materializes right in front of me. I had to be the bait.... Flaming blankets come in and drop on top of the monk vmapire. Grapple specialist at that. I managed to bull rush him into the pit and we try to stone shape the top of the hole back solid. The caster was out of that spell slot, and forgot to mention that. PO'd monk/vampire+underpowered and underleveled PC's=:eek:. My character, "Run. Now!" We ran to a serperate part of the monastary and wait out the night. No spells left, half health.

In the morning we use our new found knowledge (yay dying monk cryptic messages) to track down the lair of the vampire. We find his coffin and the lid in closed. Each of us grabs a board from the crates and makes a stake. We all surround the coffin and whoever had the lowest chance to land a hit moved the lid. The vampire got about 4 stakes to the upper thoraxic cavity. Too bad our pally had the adventure before and wasnt raised yet, and the monk had no treasure. We actually had come to this mountainside place to look for a high enough level cleric.

Dr. Killjoy
2008-11-18, 06:41 PM
Did you guys forget Death ward spell?
Seems like a good spell to have when Death is on the line (assume no sycililans or land wars in asia)

We did have death ward when we battled him a second time (made the fight a cinch), but IIRC the DM didn't tell us we would be fighting a lich the first time, just that he was an important/powerful evil NPC.

theonesin
2008-11-18, 07:26 PM
I'm not sure if this counts, but in the last session of this campaign we played last week, I killed our 12 tall human fighter twice.

My character was a Swordsage specializing in fiery abilities, and had just got the ability that deals 100 points of fire damage to anything within 60ft of me. The fighter and I were in a room with 4 giant spiders (I had summoned a fire elemental earlier as well). I talked with the fighter to ask if he had enough HP to survive the nuking and he said he did, so I promptly nuked the room.

The only thing left standing was the fire elemental. No one had told me about this massive damage rule where if you fail this roll, you die instantly. The fighter failed it.

Then later in the session, I was spiderclimbing on the ceiling above a flight of stairs while the others flew up the stairs on a flying rhino. I made the mistake of examining some magic mark on the ceiling and beads of force or something exploded all around us, killed the fighter again, as well as the cleric, and leaving the rest of the party a little worse for ware.

Artanis
2008-11-18, 07:28 PM
the others flew up the stairs on a flying rhino
This is quite possibly the coolest concept ever

Mando Knight
2008-11-18, 07:33 PM
I killed our 12 tall human fighter twice.

Twelve what? Meters? Feet? Inches? Parsecs?

Massive damage is a "Let's make this a far more gritty campaign" optional rule, I think it's from Unearthed Arcana, and can be found on d20srd... (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/massaveDamageThresholdsAndResults.htm) if your DM used that variant in a high-powered campaign, then he wanted someone to die IMO.

EDIT: No, wait... that's a variant to this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm#massiveDamage) rule... Still, if the fighter failed a DC 15 Fortitude save and you can deal out 100 points or more in an area attack, something's wrong with the Fighter.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-18, 07:44 PM
Twelve what? Meters? Feet? Inches? Parsecs?

Massive damage is a "Let's make this a far more gritty campaign" optional rule, I think it's from Unearthed Arcana, and can be found on d20srd... (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/massaveDamageThresholdsAndResults.htm) if your DM used that variant in a high-powered campaign, then he wanted someone to die IMO.

EDIT: No, wait... that's a variant to this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm#massiveDamage) rule... Still, if the fighter failed a DC 15 Fortitude save and you can deal out 100 points or more in an area attack, something's wrong with the Fighter.

he could have rolled a Natural 1 - not everyone takes Steadfast Determination, if only because it effectively uses 2 feat slots (Endurance = FAIL).

quotemyname
2008-11-18, 08:12 PM
my deCROWNING moment of suck was when my elf-king fighter ranger that i had been playing for about six months died in a trial type tower of challenges.

needless to say i left the entire elf race without a king. :( that campaign world didn't last long, lol.

FinalJustice
2008-11-18, 08:19 PM
he could have rolled a Natural 1 - not everyone takes Steadfast Determination, if only because it effectively uses 2 feat slots (Endurance = FAIL).

And that's why our group doesn't touch the massive damage rule even with a 30ft long stick...

Edit: Added quote to defend myself from the ninjas...

the HZ
2008-11-18, 08:21 PM
I have a story completely made of suck of epic proportions. We had really, really fun playing, but man, we did screw up a lot.

We were playing Paranoia. It was my first time, and I lost all of my clones during the game, one within the first minute.

(For those that have not played it: It is strictly forbidden to touch anything which you do not have clearance for. Infrared is the lowest, and goes up the spectrum with ultraviolet at the top. You die all the time, but each player has six clones in reserve. Sort of like extra lives. We started out at red clearance.)

DM: You're in a red room, with red walls and red chairs. On a red table there is a pile of folders.
Me: I pick up one of the foldersWAITAMINUTEWHATCOLOURISIT!?
DM: Orange. A killer robot enters the room.
Me: Damn. Well, if I'm going to die anyway, I read the folder.
DM: The robot kills you.

After checking for red folders, we found some and learned our mission objectives. We then left the briefing room.

Player 1: I leave my folder behind.
Player 2: Me too.
Me: I keep mine.
DM: A robot with a huge pair of shears enter the room.

I should have left the folder, I thought. Well, if I'm going to die anyway, I might as well die with style.

Me: ****, not again! I run to the table and grab all of the folders! They may take our lives, but they can't take our folders!
DM: The robot cuts you and all the folders to pieces. It was just sent to destroy all the remaining folders.

Death by folders. Twice.
Anyway, we left and picked up our equipment. Our mission was to go to a power plant htat had shut down, find out what the problem was and repair it. To get there, we had to pass through a sector with no power. It was pitch black, and of course we had forgotten to bring flashlights. Syddenly, i got another of my "brilliant" ideas.

Me: I fire up my blowtorch.

A blowtorch. In total darkness. Now we were also blinded, which made navigating even harder. After recovering, I tried to make a makeshift torch. I could not see what I made my torch out of, I just took the first long object I could find in the darkness, tied a rag around it and lit it on fire. It sparkled very strangely, but at least we could see better.

Later, I died in way that would make Rasputin impressed.

One of the other players would constantly force-feed me different medicines everytime I questioned his judgement. With my earlier screw-ups in mind, I wasn't really in a position to question the others, but after a few too many pills I suffered an overdose. I was dying, and he immediately administered an antidote that would purge all medication from my body. That was when the pain starded. You see, the arm I held the torch in had earlier been numbed by my diet of assorted medicine, and now that it had left my body, I could feel my arm again. It was not pleasant, since my makeshift torch turned out to me a huge battery. My arm had been electrocuted over a long time by the broken, burning battery. It was covered in severe burns and battery acid. The medic then got the idea to try to amputate my horribly mutilated arm with my power sword. He failed miserably, and severed a big chunk of my chest. At this point, they decided to end my suffering and shot me in the head with a laser pistol.
Ouch. Poisoned, electrocuted, burned with acid, a severed arm and finally a headshot. Oh, and I also had a lot of bruises from falling down a ladder a few times.

In the end, we all deliberately killed each other in an orgy of violence and explosives while still working together on the same mission.
One player had been tasked to record our mission. The squad leader had been recorded saing something that he could be executed for. The player recording would be executed if she did not show a complete recording of the mission. The leader then ordered me to kill her, and if I disobeyed, he would have me shot for treason. Suddenly, everyone was trying to kill eachother. At least we succeded in that.

Oh, and the power plant? Destroyed completely. By us.

The_Snark
2008-11-18, 08:51 PM
Our mission was to go to a power plant that had shut down, find out what the problem was and repair it.

We all deliberately killed each other in an orgy of violence and explosives while still working together on the same mission.

The power plant? Destroyed completely. By us.

Captures the feeling of a good Paranoia session pretty well, really.

theonesin
2008-11-18, 09:23 PM
Forgot to mention, but the fighter I was talking about was 12 FEET tall. And yeah, our characters were level 17 or so.

It's funny because in an earlier session, the DM forgot how tall he was and when he realized he wouldn't have fit in this room, he had the room magically get taller.

Elm11
2008-11-19, 01:28 AM
My Mantle of Flame, in return, got him in the negatives as well.

Talk about dumb luck.

Later I got healed by the caravan leader, and along with my payment the guy gave me a bag of drugs.

Wow, i hope this was an evil campagin, or you probably shouldn't be protecting that bloke :smalltongue:.

Playing a homebrew campaign, my first time dming, and i am REALLY dodgey.

Among the things that occured are:

a sleeping potion that puts the target to sleep for three weeks.

A rip off from a terry pratchet book.

NO monty python quotes.

a drow dmpc that doesn't take level adjustment into account (he *dissapeared* after one level).

A war troll and an army of orcs set against for level 8 players.

A cleric with +2 basic attack bonus (he still can't build characters).

Said cleric recommending that we use flamestrike to create a camp (:smallconfused:)... In an unfriendly elven wood.

a cave off the side of the road with more than 10k gp worth of stuff in it... guarded by 3 cr 1/3 zombies, against a 5th level party.

a friendly npc guide coming to warn our camping party of an orc aunslaught (and outrider party on the invading front) moving through the forrest, towards their position, burning everything in their wake, and after an artifact we had aquired... only to be blasted to death with a fireball prepared as a readied action by the caster.

A BBEG with cr 14 (aspect of hextor)

anything else?

Dairun Cates
2008-11-19, 03:49 AM
Not really a Dethroning Moment of Suck, I guess, but rather a moment where I caught a player off guard as a GM and got to cackle evilly.

So, the players know that this Elite Unit that works with the US government is coming to get them because they have some information on a huge government secret and a few of them have oddly been hired by another branch of the government to stop this. All they know at the time about this unit is that there are 8 of them and that they all have military specialities. They've met 4 of them, and 2 of them are rebelling allies, one of which is the Gun Bunny's insanely deadly Gun-toting rival. So, they know that one of the 8 is on the space station they're on and is planning something dastardly.

Kids start popping up as mind-controlled slaves. They quickly make the connection to the incidents and the Military Specialist on the space station. After some careful attempts to not kill the high school students, they trace the whole thing back to the hidden spaceship dock in the janitor's closet. The Janitor is knocked out, and they come to all find that the secret mastermind is Frank, the completely normal and inconspicuous homeroom teacher. After a moment of realizing that Frank has caused a lot of their problems by being directly there and blending perfectly into the background, the two people that rushed the location prepare to fight. Instead, Frank has decided to leave while he's still ahead.

So, the Robot runs forward and tries to distract Frank to keep him on the station while the Gun Bunny sets up her sniper rifle for one hell of a headshot.

Frank politely greets the Robot and explains that he has to leave, but that he has a message for the Gun Bunny. He yells it to the general area, indicating he knows she's there. She works faster to set the rifle up. Here's the dialogue that ensued.

Frank: Tell Ms. Priori that...
Robot (To Whole Room): TELL MS. PRIORI THAT...

*Gun Bunny Finishes setting up Sniper Rifle*

Frank: That S***...
Robot (To Whole Room): THAT S***...

*Gun Bunny aims the shot and fires straight for Frank's Head. The bullet dings helplessly of an invisible barrier*

Frank: Is not going to work...
Robot: IS NOT GOING T-
Gun Bunny: I HEARD HIM, K4-74!

*A Ninja that Ms. Priori failed the spot check to notice falls from the ceiling and stabbed Ms. Priori through the chest with a big ass katana*

It turns out that Frank is an insanely powerful psychic (thus the near omniscience and ability to be in the wrong place at the right time). He knew already what the party was going to do.

The real funny thing was that I actually did plan almost the whole scenario. It wasn't an ad-lib. As unpredictable as they are, I was getting good at second guessing them at this point. Despite their best attempts to second-guess the overarching plan and stop it, their entire actions throughout the session were just setting up the villain's actual plan. So, he got his nice villain speech and a true moment of introductory bad-assness.

Frank ended up escaping (although the party managed to blow up his ship forcing him to resort to his long range teleportation), and the party was left to face a very powerful and deadly ninja.

Needless to say, the Gun Bunny was a bit ashamed at being predictable enough that I could set up a dramatic scene where she'd fall directly into such a silly joke. Of course, she made up for it a moment later by having an actual genuine crowning moment of awesome where she pulled the ninja's sword into her chest upon being attacked from the shadows a second time and held it there so he had to drop his weapon or be mowed down by the combined force of the rest of the party.

DUSUCK
2008-11-19, 10:31 AM
(assume no sycililans or land wars in asia)

hehehehehehehe references.......

OverdrivePrime
2008-11-19, 10:36 AM
I have always had a reputation for terrible luck with d20 rolls (60% usually being in the 1-7 range), but my first time as a player in D&D 3rd editon really clinched the title for me. We were all first level characters, and was playing a mighty barbarian lad, a prince of his tribe sent out into the world to make a name for himself and prove his worthiness. Huge dude, 18 strength, 16 constitution, 15 charisma, massive two handed sword, studded leather, a character illustration oozing with awesome, cross-class ranks in diplomacy just to fit the image, all the makings of an awesome character. Marduk Vallenhald was ready to become a legend.

It's time for the characters to get to know each other.

So, he's walking down the mountainside to a settlement,smug with his own glory, when he is ambushed by a trio of kobolds. Their tiny javelins missed except for one, which hit for a full 3 damage. Marduk, insulted by the pitiful creatures, unsheaths his big sword and goes into a rage, slashing at the craven wreches with immense confidence. He rolls a 2, sending his sword swishing high over their reptillian heads.

Next round, the kobolds jab at him with their spears, wounding him slightly more. Marduk tries a downward chop now, rolling a 3, and cleaves the grass to the side of the kobold.

The kobolds, gaining confidence from their opponent's ineptitude, press the attack, poking still more holes in the big barbarian. For Marduk's part, I managed to roll an 8, cutting a long rent in one of the fiend's leather armor, but not actually digging into flesh. My DM took some pity and had that one fail a morale check, and decide to turn tail and escape with its life.

The other two continued to poke and prod Marduk, until he was full of holes, down to 2 hit points. Marduk, desperate, swings again, needing to kill these little buggers before his rage runs out. I, of course, roll a natural one. Marduk's sword sweeps over the kobolds heads again, but this time the barbarian's grip is slick with his own blood. His sword flies out of his hand and jams itself into a small tree about ten feet away.

Luckily, a dwarven cleric of Moradin (one of the other players) had just rounded the bend to see the scene. He steps up, raises his crossbow and drills one of the kobolds through the head with a beautiful shot. The last kobold takes a parting jab at Marduk, hitting him in the leg for another 4 damage, and then running away before the huge human falls on top of him.

Luckily, the dwarf saved Marduk's life, and the two of them quickly became friends. The met up with another two adventurers (a gnome wizard and a gnome ranger) and decided to tackle the challenge of a nearby dungeon. As soon as they entered the dungeon, they were confronted with a 30 foot stairwell with no railings and a lot of rubble on it. The wizard's light spell revealed that down below were a couple of dire rats. Marduk yelled out to the others, "I'll get in close - you guys can pick 'em off from up here!" and then charged down the stair well.

Or would have, if the DM didn't ask for a balance check. Once again, I rolled a natural one. Poor Marduk slipps on a stray bit of gravel and tumbles off the side of the stairs. He gets to enjoy the fun of a 20 foot fall, and lands hard - taking 17 damage - more than enough to send him into negatives. The rest of the party had a desperate fight against the dire rats so that they could make enough room for the cleric to get close enough to tag me with a cure minor before getting back to finish up the fight.

After that, Marduk mainly stuck to fighting creatures that were at least his height, and enjoyed considerably more success.

Another_Poet
2008-11-19, 10:39 AM

It's okay, there's no need to apologise. At least, not for you. TV tropes are completely irrelevant to most role-playing gaming, so really, the people who derail threads by talking about TV tropes are the ones who should consider apologising. :smallconfused:

ap

Blackfang108
2008-11-19, 10:53 AM
It's okay, there's no need to apologise. At least, not for you. TV tropes are completely irrelevant to most role-playing gaming, so really, the people who derail threads by talking about TV tropes are the ones who should consider apologising. :smallconfused:

ap

Not to mention the one guy forgetting which board he was on.

Heliomance
2008-11-19, 10:59 AM

ap

I contest that statement. There are many tropes with Tabletop RPG examples, and a fair few that are RPG specific.

Blackfang108
2008-11-19, 12:26 PM
I contest that statement. There are many tropes with Tabletop RPG examples, and a fair few that are RPG specific.

and this isn't the place to be bringing it up in terms of: "That's not a trope" or "that can't be a trope"

Dairun Cates
2008-11-19, 12:34 PM

As useful as they can be for narrative construction and deconstruction though, there's actually no reason to point them out outside of discussion specifically about narrative.

It's an awful lot like talking about a murder scene in a book where the victim is murdered while cooking a pie and talking about your awesome recipe for pumpkin pie. It's interesting, but it doesn't actually contribute to the discussion in this case.

chiasaur11
2008-11-19, 01:07 PM
As useful as they can be for narrative construction and deconstruction though, there's actually no reason to point them out outside of discussion specifically about narrative.

It's an awful lot like talking about a murder scene in a book where the victim is murdered while cooking a pie and talking about your awesome recipe for pumpkin pie. It's interesting, but it doesn't actually contribute to the discussion in this case.

Unless the book claims bake time below five minutes is impossible for pumpkin pie, making the killer the butler, but your recipe is faster, contradicting the book.

Lycan 01
2008-11-19, 01:56 PM
As intense as the debate is, I must wonder why its worth arguing the importance of TV tropes and RPGs when this thread is about events in RPGs that just sucked in general. :smallconfused:

Lets just agree to disagree, and get back to the funny stories. Please? :smalltongue:

BRC
2008-11-19, 02:09 PM
I have a story completely made of suck of epic proportions. We had really, really fun playing, but man, we did screw up a lot.

We were playing Paranoia. It was my first time, and I lost all of my clones during the game, one within the first minute.

(For those that have not played it: It is strictly forbidden to touch anything which you do not have clearance for. Infrared is the lowest, and goes up the spectrum with ultraviolet at the top. You die all the time, but each player has six clones in reserve. Sort of like extra lives. We started out at red clearance.)

DM: You're in a red room, with red walls and red chairs. On a red table there is a pile of folders.
Me: I pick up one of the foldersWAITAMINUTEWHATCOLOURISIT!?
DM: Orange. A killer robot enters the room.
Me: Damn. Well, if I'm going to die anyway, I read the folder.
DM: The robot kills you.

After checking for red folders, we found some and learned our mission objectives. We then left the briefing room.

Player 1: I leave my folder behind.
Player 2: Me too.
Me: I keep mine.
DM: A robot with a huge pair of shears enter the room.

I should have left the folder, I thought. Well, if I'm going to die anyway, I might as well die with style.

Me: ****, not again! I run to the table and grab all of the folders! They may take our lives, but they can't take our folders!
DM: The robot cuts you and all the folders to pieces. It was just sent to destroy all the remaining folders.

Death by folders. Twice.
Anyway, we left and picked up our equipment. Our mission was to go to a power plant htat had shut down, find out what the problem was and repair it. To get there, we had to pass through a sector with no power. It was pitch black, and of course we had forgotten to bring flashlights. Syddenly, i got another of my "brilliant" ideas.

Me: I fire up my blowtorch.

A blowtorch. In total darkness. Now we were also blinded, which made navigating even harder. After recovering, I tried to make a makeshift torch. I could not see what I made my torch out of, I just took the first long object I could find in the darkness, tied a rag around it and lit it on fire. It sparkled very strangely, but at least we could see better.

Later, I died in way that would make Rasputin impressed.

One of the other players would constantly force-feed me different medicines everytime I questioned his judgement. With my earlier screw-ups in mind, I wasn't really in a position to question the others, but after a few too many pills I suffered an overdose. I was dying, and he immediately administered an antidote that would purge all medication from my body. That was when the pain starded. You see, the arm I held the torch in had earlier been numbed by my diet of assorted medicine, and now that it had left my body, I could feel my arm again. It was not pleasant, since my makeshift torch turned out to me a huge battery. My arm had been electrocuted over a long time by the broken, burning battery. It was covered in severe burns and battery acid. The medic then got the idea to try to amputate my horribly mutilated arm with my power sword. He failed miserably, and severed a big chunk of my chest. At this point, they decided to end my suffering and shot me in the head with a laser pistol.
Ouch. Poisoned, electrocuted, burned with acid, a severed arm and finally a headshot. Oh, and I also had a lot of bruises from falling down a ladder a few times.

In the end, we all deliberately killed each other in an orgy of violence and explosives while still working together on the same mission.
One player had been tasked to record our mission. The squad leader had been recorded saing something that he could be executed for. The player recording would be executed if she did not show a complete recording of the mission. The leader then ordered me to kill her, and if I disobeyed, he would have me shot for treason. Suddenly, everyone was trying to kill eachother. At least we succeded in that.

Oh, and the power plant? Destroyed completely. By us.
Ah, Paranoia at it's finest. I personally love Fatally Featured experimental equipment, The Sticky Grenade, the Double Ended Laser, the Boomarang Grenade... fun times.

Heliomance
2008-11-19, 02:11 PM
I find it an amusing coincidence that someone who was unaware of TV Tropes should come up with a title that is established as causing strong reactions and cried of No Just No on that site. My first post was merely a facetious attempt at humour.

Blackfang108
2008-11-19, 02:13 PM
I find it an amusing coincidence that someone who was unaware of TV Tropes should come up with a title that is established as causing strong reactions and cried of No Just No on that site. My first post was merely a facetious attempt at humour.

Look at the post after your first post.

That's the one I was referring to.

Elm11
2008-11-21, 08:47 AM
Alright, this is becoming far to hostile, cut it out now please, and get back to the stories :smallannoyed:

I'm all out, so i'm just going to hope i can stop the thread from being derailed

EDIT: just finished our latest adventure, and although it's a moment of awesome, it's still worth mentioning.

Due to rolling 3 d20s for a perception check (he was rolling to see which dice he would use) and having them all come up 20, my brothers character has just assended to god-hood.

Celeres
2008-11-21, 08:53 AM
half-ogre using a huge greatsword. i was instructed to cut this guy free.

nat 1.

no arm for you sir, sorry.

but if we're looking for roleplaying fail, have to be the time my bard went to pet the guy in the road's Barghest cause "it looked friendly". naturally, the little bugger bit me. the DM said i contracted a paralysis poison from it after the battle.

Blackfang108
2008-11-21, 09:34 AM
half-ogre using a huge greatsword. i was instructed to cut this guy free.

nat 1.

no arm for you sir, sorry.

but if we're looking for roleplaying fail, have to be the time my bard went to pet the guy in the road's Barghest cause "it looked friendly". naturally, the little bugger bit me. the DM said i contracted a paralysis poison from it after the battle.

OW.

Not mine, but a teammates.

He was playing a shadowsyft(sp?) rogue.

He introduces himself to the party via stealth, which he crit fumbled.

Then he started running around the party in circles (literally) until our wizard lifted his quarterstaff up, paralell to the ground at about chest level.

He crit fumbled his Dex check and "racked" himself.

Later, he rolled a 1 on at least three attempts to search for traps, only setting one off.

Then, to cap off the evening, he rolled a 1 against a stone statue, shattering his only weapon. No one had a backup, so he had to use a length of bone he found.

Oh, and all of that was one session.

Lycan 01
2008-11-21, 12:14 PM
The humble hotel manager my roommate's level 1 Paladin was working with ended up being a lvl 5 Evil Rogue. The Rogue saved the Paladin's butt (He was up against two lvl 1 goons and a lvl 3 Cleric of an opposing deity) by Sneak Attacking one of the goons with a Sneak Attack, and then pretty much oppened up a can on the bad guys.

Until he rolled a 1 on one of his Katar attack. The blade flew free from his hands, sailed past the Paladin's face, and impaled a wall 20 feet away. "Oops..." the Rogue grinned sheepishly. "I've been retired for a few years, you know..."

Then he failed an unnarmed attack. And then he failed an Acrobatics check to nimble escape the fray in order to retrieve his weapon. So he instantly went from awesome to pathetic in less than 2 rounds.

The Rogue made up for this a few rounds later, however, when he choke-slammed one of the goons (who had 2-4 HP left) for about 14 damage. I ruled that he broke the guys neck when he grabbed him, and then caved his skull in when he slammed his head into the ground.

The Paladin faired much worse. His rolls for his Daily, Encounter, and most of his At Will Powers were all 1 or 2 points below a hit. He also ended up at 2 HP due to the Cleric using some of his Encounter powers on him. :smalleek: But he survived, and they ended up killing the goons and the Cleric, though the battle lasted much longer than it should have. If my roommate at the Rogue had just gotten a few points higher on their first few rolls, the whole battle would have been over in about a quarter of the time. :smallconfused:

Also, my roommate now fears and respects the DMPC, even though they're in the same party. :smalleek: