PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Pounce (Discussion, hopefully leading to [Feat])

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-17, 07:14 AM
What does the homebrew community here think about the pounce ability, namely, the ability to make a full attack on a charge? If we were gonna make a feat with just the ability "Full attack on a charge", what would the prerequisites be? I know Barbarians can get it gratis by devoting themselves to lions, but without convoluted roleplaying, this leaves the lawful classes rather left out, especially the monk, who could do with the full attack.

So what should the prerequisites be? High dex? certain BAB?

Meek
2008-11-17, 09:10 AM
At the very least the ability to make more than one attack should be required, so at least six BAB. Probably higher. It's a powerful ability.

KKL
2008-11-17, 09:26 AM
At the very least the ability to make more than one attack should be required, so at least six BAB. Probably higher. It's a powerful ability.

This is pretty much it, or the ability to make more than one attack as a full-round action.

Stycotl
2008-11-17, 10:46 AM
i have been rewriting a lot of feats lately, especially the smurfette-styled "epic" feats. here's my take on the discussion:

Dire Charge (General; Reworked)
You hit your enemies like a cyclone, overwhelming them with numerous, brutal assaults.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 16, base attack bonus +12, Balance 7 ranks, Jump 15 ranks
Effect: You can make a full attack at the end of a charge, as with the pounce special ability.
Special: This feat replaces the epic feat of the same name, which is another pansy epic feat.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-17, 11:27 AM
Pounce as a feat is already in the game, though from what I've seen it appears "limited pounce" (ie: Catfolk Pounce, which only works when your foe is flat footed) is worth one feat; "unlimited pounce" (ie: Open Lesser Chakra (Arms) + Shape Soulmeld (Sphinx Claws)) is worth two.

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-18, 06:07 AM
I'm thinking:

Pounce
Prerequisites: Dexterity 17, Base attack bonus +6, Jump 9 ranks, Tumble 9 Ranks
Benefits: When you charge at least 20 feet, you can take a full attack action, but only against a single target. If that target is dropped before you complete your full attack, the extra attacks are wasted, and you cannot make use of Cleave or Great Cleave. The target can make a tumble check (DC 10 + half your base attack bonus + your dexterity modifier). If they succeed, you only get a single attack, as normal. All other benefits and penalties of charging apply.
Normal: You are limited to making a single attack at the end of a charge.

How does that look?

Stycotl
2008-11-19, 01:24 AM
that looks good, though i don't like the 1/2 bab thing. i'd just use full bab, or something else. plus, using 1/2 bab puts it on par for a save for enemies of full-bab characters, and makes it easier than a save for enemies of partial-bab creatures, when skill checks are supposed to be harder than saves of the same level.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-11-19, 01:28 AM
There's also Two-Weapon Pounce, from PHBII.

Stycotl
2008-11-20, 11:53 AM
gimme a day or two and i will try to post all of my houserule pounce/rend/etc feats on the forum. doubt it fixes everyone's problems, but it fixes mine, and probably some others as well.