PDA

View Full Version : [AD&D] Can Shapechanged Druids hit Werewolves?

LibraryOgre
2008-11-17, 11:22 AM
So, I'm working on soloing Icewind Dale... as a druid, this time (already done it as a bard and a paladin). Fights against mortals are usually pretty easy... a 13th level druid can throw a lot of monsters into a fight. Undead and Yxonumei were a pain in the butt, however (that nice druid spell which creates a club that does extra damage to outsiders? Her godsdamned magic resistance stopped it. EVERY. DAMN. TIME.) However, this is not about Icewind Dale, but, rather, about AD&D in P&P.

Given that creatures of X HD or better can hit creatures only hit by +Y or better weapons, can a druid who has used his 7th level power to change shape hurt things only hurt by magical weapons?

Can they only do it if they were wielding a magical weapon when they changed? If they were carrying a +3 knife, they could hurt things hurt by a +3 weapon?

Can they only do it if the form's HD would be sufficient to hurt that creature? If they can turn into a gorilla, can they hurt things hit by a +1 weapon (since gorillas have 4+1 HD)?

Can they do it based on their own HD? At 7th level, can they turn into a wolf and hurt a werewolf because they've got at least 4+1 HD?

Are they simply SOL?

hamlet
2008-11-17, 11:29 AM
I've always ruled it based on the Druid's native hit dice.

Thus, a 7th level druid shapechanged into a bear would hit just like a 7th level druid in his natural form. I include the "hits as if . . ." table based on hit dice in this as well.

Seems to work out with minimal fuss.

Matthew
2008-11-17, 11:38 AM
I rarely use druids, but I always assumed they took on the physical chracteristics of the creature they shapechanged into for the duration of the magic. So, I would rule that a druid that shapechanged into a gorilla has HD 4+1, both for hit points and with regards to attacks.

hamlet
2008-11-17, 11:42 AM
I rarely use druids, but I always assumed they took on the physical chracteristics of the creature they shapechanged into for the duration of the magic. So, I would rule that a druid that shapechanged into a gorilla has HD 4+1, both for hit points and with regards to attacks.

Always assumed the opposite, that the Druid retains his standard hit point allocation and hit dice.

Suppose it's entirely interpretation since it's not explicit anywhere that I've found.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-17, 11:42 AM
Given that creatures of X HD or better can hit creatures only hit by +Y or better weapons, can a druid who has used his 7th level power to change shape hurt things only hurt by magical weapons?

Can they only do it if they were wielding a magical weapon when they changed? If they were carrying a +3 knife, they could hurt things hurt by a +3 weapon?

Can they only do it if the form's HD would be sufficient to hurt that creature? If they can turn into a gorilla, can they hurt things hit by a +1 weapon (since gorillas have 4+1 HD)?

Can they do it based on their own HD? At 7th level, can they turn into a wolf and hurt a werewolf because they've got at least 4+1 HD?

Are they simply SOL?

I'm not sure I know in Buldar's Gate that if you weild a magic weapon before transforming you count as if magical claws for DR, but I haven't played AD&D for years.

Couldn't you just cast Shilllagh if you really needed to?

Fax Celestis
2008-11-17, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure I know in Buldar's Gate that if you weild a magic weapon before transforming you count as if magical claws for DR, but I haven't played AD&D for years.

Couldn't you just cast Shilllagh if you really needed to?

Shillelagh requires a stick, IIRC, so what do you do if you shift into something without hands?

Matthew
2008-11-17, 12:02 PM
Always assumed the opposite, that the Druid retains his standard hit point allocation and hit dice.

Suppose it's entirely interpretation since it's not explicit anywhere that I've found.

Yeah, I guess I always thought of it more like polymorph other than polymorph self. I guess if it's more like polymorph self I wouldn't allow a druid to overcome defences requiring magical weapons unless he was wielding one before hand.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-17, 12:47 PM
Shillelagh requires a stick, IIRC, so what do you do if you shift into something without hands?

Why not the "groin stick" so to speak? Does Shilllelagh say it must be wooden?
I know 3.0/3.5 does, but I can't remember AD&D text.

hamlet
2008-11-17, 12:49 PM

That's more than a little disgusting.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-17, 01:00 PM
*dies laughing*

Edea
2008-11-17, 01:04 PM

...creative, but if we're using body parts, here, it may as well just be your leg or your arm, as these are just as much a staff-like protrusion as your 'groin stick' (however, as a DM I'd let you get away with it purely for the lulz).

LoneGamer
2008-11-17, 01:07 PM

If I were your DM, the werewolf would sunder it.

LibraryOgre
2008-11-17, 01:12 PM
If I were your DM, the werewolf would sunder it.

Or a simple disarm maneuver...

hamlet
2008-11-17, 01:15 PM
Oh dear, so many horrible puns . . .

:smallsigh:

Starbuck_II
2008-11-17, 02:11 PM
Or a simple disarm maneuver...

I don't know, I'd least assume he gets +10 like a locked guantlet: it is stuck on pretty good.

Fax:

*dies laughing*

Did I gain any Exp for that? :smallbiggrin: