PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and masterminds, building pieces for a new system?

YPU
2008-11-17, 11:33 AM
Something that has been grinding trough my brain is the idea that MnM can very Easley be used as a framework to build you own d20 setting with specific rules, at the core of most d20 game’s, as you’ll probably agree, are the core classes. Being able to play character type X or Y is what draws player in and the advancement is what keeps them interested.
Now the powers system and power level of the game very much allows us to build classes with advancing class powers, and even classes with skill webs like, for instance, Diablo.
Every class could have trade-offs to make sure they all excel in a different area.
So does anybody see this idea working? Any idea’s on how best to work this or why it wouldn’t work?

I do realize that this idea would make the character creation less open, (in MnM you can build nearly anything) but a more closed system can of course make a character more interesting.

Satyr
2008-11-17, 06:39 PM
Mutants and Masterminds got rid of the restrictive class and level system and you want to reintroduce it? Why?
While I think M&M would be a great base for a D20 like game, one of its great advantages is the much mre organic development and creation of characters. I would consider it a large step back to reintroduce rule relics like levels in the game.

Knaight
2008-11-17, 06:55 PM
How does a more closed system make characters more interesting exactly? By making them thematic? Since all that does is force people to stick to certain thematic characters, as opposed to making their own. All your doing is screwing the game up, but if people need it as a crutch, feel free to introduce optional classes.

YPU
2008-11-18, 06:35 AM
Of course making your own powers should still be an option (duh, big point of the system) but indeed having for instance a skill tree for the shining paladin of pelor, just and example, might include powers players themselves would not have thought of.
And I have found that, tough yes I myself am a big fan of point build complete open building. My players find their characters more interesting if for instance they finally can take “sacrificial judgement of the holy” a power that works like blast 10 but drains some hp. When they reach the end of the paladin skill three, Instead of "hey guys I took blast 10!" When they reach lvl 10.