PDA

View Full Version : Chapter 1: The Key and the Teardrop

achilleus
2008-11-17, 12:17 PM
The morning breaks to find many patrons of the Stony Gaze Tavern and Inn taking their breakfast outside today. It is one of the last days before Fall gives way to Winter's frigid grip.

Most of the patrons dine at streetside tables, including a handful of halflings, and several humans in armor. Whatever weapons they have are of course peace-bonded according to the traditions of Devonford; bows must be unslung, blades are held in their scabbards by a leather strap, and pole weapons have thick leather wraps around their ends. All part of the cost of keeping the peace in the better parts of the city.

The Stony Gaze is right on the border of the Chatterstreet district and Eastgate, one of the rougher parts of town. Traffic is heavy enough to make this street unwanted by the highest class shops, but still safe enough to hold respectable businesses. Which makes the three scraggly, tough customers who came from the direction of Southspur a little suspicious as they help themselves into a locksmith across from the tavern.

Image: The Tavern and Inn (http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-08/f2-sketch-tavern.html) EDIT: Just linked it instead of trying to place it here.

Yawielas
2008-11-17, 03:16 PM
Vendelyn, a dark haired young woman in a woodsy outfit in greens and browns, and with an unslung bow at her side, sits alone by an outside table, eating a simple meal of bread, cheese and dried meat while staring rather disheartened down the street. Back home, the preparations for the festivities would be well under way. She can almost smell her mother's cooking. Almost. The smell of the city overwhelms anything else. She wrinkles her nose, and breaks her melancholy stare. Her gaze moves to the three ruffians entering the locksmith acoss the street, and doesn't leave them. Something just seems off. Frowning, she waits to see if ther's anything to the vibe she's getting, or if it's just all these people making her paranoid.

Kazai
2008-11-17, 03:46 PM
Kazai hustles down the street to deliver the note. Glad that she switched to a thicker robe, she can start to feel the cold of winter approaching. The breeze and her quick pace are making her emerald eyes sparkle and tear. Her shoulder-length black hair is neatly trimmed and hangs loosely around her face.

She's extremely preoccupied with the note her mentor gave her. Something about the urgency of it made her desperately want to read it. After all it wasn't sealed and he hadn't said anything about it.

She was so caught up in inner debate she almost missed the group of ruffians entering the locksmith across the street. She slowed her gate and glanced over at the tavern to see if anyone was reacting to the situation. She met another young woman's eyes and paused. Realizing that she was staring across the street Kazai asked: I don't come this way often. Have you seen them before?

Yawielas
2008-11-17, 03:55 PM
Vendelyn blinks as a girl in a robe steps into view, meeting her gaze. Shaking her head a little, she stands up, and looks up and down the street for any sign of the city guard. "No....I'm...just visiting."

Maurkov
2008-11-17, 06:45 PM
Iosef

Iosef watches the shifters enter the shop, wishing they'd hurry up and do something to justify a thrashing. He looks around for someplace inconspicuous to wait. He chooses an alley about sixty feet away, confident that he could run them off their feet even with a sporting head start.

A few seconds later he realizes they'll probably scatter once they've done their crime. He moves closer.

[roll0]
I'm not sure about hiding spots; maybe an alcove on the locksmith's side of the street?

RationalGoblin
2008-11-17, 07:55 PM
Crimeas "Crim" Stire, a young man with slightly long, unkempt brown hair, dressed in a hooded dark red cloak, grey studded leather armor, and armed with a covered flail and covered shortsword at his side, sits alone eating cheese and dried meat, while drinking from a small clay jug.

He looks nervous, constantly fingering the (not quite holy) symbol of Wee Jas at his belt, and clearly uncomfortable in his armor, but gains a interested look in his eye at the group of ruffians.

He raises his eyebrow at the young women talking about the suspicious ruffians, and soon rises from his seat nearby, his two peacebonded weapons clanking as he stands.

Crim walks to a comfortable distance between the two women, and stands in an orderly fashion.

"I, ah, couldn't help but overhear both of your thoughts about those strange men there. I'm just visiting here as well. I, um take it you realize that they are most likely not with good intentions? I could investigate what is happening in that locksmith's shop."

A look at the young man's face shows that he is terrified of the thought of confronting the three men, but he feels obligated to, out of a sense of duty.

Kazai
2008-11-17, 08:18 PM
Kazai eyes the stranger warily looking him up and down and decides that if he were going to cause trouble himself he'd be slightly more confident and also not have his weapons peacebound. She turns fully to him, causiously looking at the woman she was speaking with to see her reaction.

I wasn't planning on any trouble this morning but I can't in good concience leave what I think is the scene of a potential incident. Trying to ease the man's apprehension she says, I'm Kazai. I'll go with you as she extends her hand.

RationalGoblin
2008-11-17, 09:24 PM
Crim nods, still clearly nervous, but his fear is balanced by an ally and a new look in his eye, a look of cold determination.

"My exact thoughts. I may be foolish, but I can't leave that alone. Something just doesn't seem right. I'm Crimeas Stire, and prefer to be called Crim.

He takes Kazai's hand, unsure of what to do for a moment, but a look of realization appears in his eye, and he vigorously shakes her hand. A small, shy smile opens up on Crim's young face.

"T-Thanks. I was attacked by bandits once, when I was traveling, and ever since then, I've been a bit... frightened, I guess. Ah, well. There's no sense in ignoring those men, so l-let's go, Kazai. Unless your friend wants to come with us, and know as well."

Crim's smile turns smug for a moment, then reverts back to a shy smile once more. Just because I'm a holy warrior, bound to follow certain rules and laws, doesn't mean I'm stupid. I know the effectiveness of several fighters, rather then one.

kopout
2008-11-17, 09:40 PM
Scrib was lurking. It was a family trait. His old fence always used to say"No one for lurking like a Candail". That of cores had been before he got killed. He had been tracking Wolfram Javik for a few hours now and the human had not even noticed he was there. They where in a nice part of town and that bothered him, people like him and Javik didn't go to the nice part of town to be nice . their where others watching Javik, the man stood out like a sour thumb, hopefully none of them saw him too, people in the nice part of town did not take kindly to his kind .

[roll0]

Jokes
2008-11-17, 09:58 PM
Millin

The group of halfings sit at a table on the other side of Vendelyn; it caught the morning sun perfectly. Millin sits with his back to the wall, keeping an eye on the streets. He wraps a piece of cheese and dried meat in a slice of buttered bread, and somehow fits the lot in his mouth. As he slowly chews, he closes his eyes and savours it, thankful that it's not fish.

When he opens his eyes, he notices the group of humans talking. A wave of dread washes over him for a moment until he catches onto their conversation. He has no idea why he's been so paranoid lately, but the looks and the whispered words he'd been getting from his family have had him on edge.

He catches on to enough of the conversation to figure out what was up. He starts rolling his head around, wondering if it was worth it to ask, or if he should just go home...

"Excuse me," he raises his hand slightly trying to catch Crim's attention, "we, uh, that is myself and my, um, comrades, have little else to do today... If you like, we could, uh, assist you...

RationalGoblin
2008-11-17, 10:26 PM
Crim

Crim's shy smile broadens as more and more people come to assist him. He gains a confident look, but as he speaks to Millin, loses it when he realizes that he's talked to few halflings in his life.

"Of course you can assist us, my good... Um, would halfling be a rude term to refer to your, um, people? Not that there's anything wrong with you, of course. And might I have your name?"

He rubs the back of his own head awkwardly with his gloved hand.

Jokes
2008-11-17, 11:09 PM
Millin

"Oh, uh, no, halfling is fine." He extends his hand. "Millin Coppertoken. I, uh... shoot things." He nods at the crossbow leaning on the table. Something tells him it would be a bad idea to mention he was a fisherman.

I'll leave the other halflings to introduce themselves.

Yawielas
2008-11-18, 02:24 AM
Vendelyn's face has slowly taken on a determined look. Not good enough for the Keep, eh? She'll show those snobs. Nodding once to the young man who nervously joined them, she says. "I'll come. I'm Vendelyn." She glances to the halflings as one of them volunteers their aid as well, nodding again. Then she moves across the street carefully, bringing her unslung bow.

Kazai
2008-11-18, 03:59 AM
Kazai introduces herself to the halflings and sees Vendelyn begin to slowly cross the street. She thinks for a moment about her prepared spells, not exactly optimal, but hopefully it won't matter. She follows Vendelyn closely.
Suppose now's as good a time as any.

achilleus
2008-11-18, 08:42 AM
As the group starts to fill out and mobilize, another figure comes walking East along the street, from the direction of the Hill. He is a portly man with slicked back hair and a long mustache, which he curls after every few paces. He has a hat in his hands which he has a tendency to wring as well. As he gets close he can be heard muttering to himself as he starts to gather his keys from within his rather well-made vest, and he scans suspiciously around.

He stops in front of the locksmith, looking somewhat shocked at the open door, and bursts inside as quickly as his heft will allow.

Maurkov
2008-11-18, 11:48 AM
Iosef

Iosef rubs his knuckles. "Thank you, Kord, for the blessing they are about to receive." He moves to stand beside a window of the shop and listens.

[roll0]

Yawielas
2008-11-18, 11:57 AM
Seeing what might be the locksmith enter the store, Vendelyn hurries up. "Excuse me, sir, I wouldn't go in there alone if I were you!" When he barges in anyway, she quickly follows.

Kazai
2008-11-18, 12:08 PM
Kazai sighs audibly at the change in situation. With the group heading toward the locksmith somewhat disjointedly she hopes they can get somewhat grouped up before entering. Once she sees Vendelyn enter the shop she quickly follows and takes in her immediate surroundings.

Edwin
2008-11-18, 12:44 PM
Tam, a relatively young halfing with military cut, brown hair, and slightly robust features, viciously attacking the roasted chicken on his plate, looked up from his meal when he heard the voice of Millin. "Getting us into trouble, is he now?" He thought to himself. He turned to Miranda, signaled her to follow, and got up. Running towards to locksmith with Miranda behind, a broad smile spread across his face, and while grinning, he shouted to the group of people who had gathered :"Hell yeah, if there is asskicking to be done, count me in! Oh, and my name is Tam.".

Maurkov
2008-11-18, 01:01 PM
Iosef

Iosef watches the parade of little people with perfect bewilderment.

MenhirRocksolid
2008-11-18, 01:25 PM
Gari snaps out of his tryptophan induced snooze, removes the hair in front of his eyes and stands up from his comfy backchair Rufus. Wake up Rufus, Millin and Tam are getting themselves into trouble again. Gary mounts Rufus in a swift movement and gets behind the other halflings while inspecting the surroundings including the humans that just woke him with all of their chattering.

Edwin
2008-11-18, 01:32 PM
The smile on Tam's face widened even more as he saw Gary get up and join them: "Finally got your hairy ass up and running, did we?" he said, as he pulled himself ontop of Miranda, adjusting himself in his saddle. He then pulled out his lance, and readied himself to remove the leather straps attached to it, should the mooks inside the locksmith misbehave. Looking over his shoulder, he said with a a teasing smile "Coming?", kicked Miranda gently in the belly, and made the dog move slowly towards the door.

kopout
2008-11-18, 04:18 PM
spot
[roll0]

Kazai
2008-11-18, 04:56 PM
Spot
[roll0]+3 = 22
edit: can't spell the word spoiler....

MenhirRocksolid
2008-11-18, 05:46 PM
Spot: [roll0]

RationalGoblin
2008-11-18, 07:42 PM
Crim nods at the halflings joining them, and follows the two women in front of him. A broad grin creeps onto his features, but it is still tempered by his otherwise nervous face.

On entering the locksmith's store, he looks around quickly, taking in anything that could be of note, especially any religious symbols.

Spot: [roll0]

Jokes
2008-11-18, 08:27 PM
Millin

As he follows close behind Crim, Millin pulls out the trigger mechanism for his crossbow from his pocket, in case things get hairy. Once inside, he looks for a good spot to hide.

[roll0]
[roll1]

achilleus
2008-11-18, 08:30 PM
Iosef waited outside the window, he heard from within the shop a startled shout and the sound of angry voices muffled by the window hangings. No light escaped from the shop. Scrib had managed to remain hidden down the block, and could see as things began to unfold.

Vendelyn and Kazai quickly followed the man through the door, while the two riding dogs were prepared and mounted. Millin prepared his crossbow behind Crim, completing the trio of halflings who waited in the street in case things got ugly.

Crim attempted to enter after the women, but met a logjam immediately inside the room. He remained in the threshold.

The shop is a rather cramped affair, consisting of a table, on long counter, and display shelves was assorted locks and small wooden boxes. It certainly wasn't designed to handle the half-dozen people who were trying to cram in here now.

The three thugs within were confronting the shopkeeper, who has begun retreating with his hands up in self-defense. At the arrival of two women, the thugs exchange glances and draw concealed daggers. The three advance toward the front of the shop in a crouch, feral smiles showing across their faces.

achilleus
2008-11-18, 08:33 PM
As he follows close behind Crim, <snip>

OOCSorry, my loooooooong typing time meant that you ninja-d me! I'll adjust you as behind Crim

kopout
2008-11-18, 09:51 PM
there was a commotion at the locksmith's. Scrib dearly wished to investigate but that was not how he had lived this long, so, he went in through the back door.

Kazai
2008-11-18, 10:06 PM
Wishing she had thought twice before following on Vendelyn's heels Kazai tries to move out of Crim's way while keeping what little distance there is between her and the thugs. She slips the ribbon off her fingers and opens her Component Pouch.

[roll0]

Maurkov
2008-11-18, 11:42 PM
Iosef

Iosef slides closer to the door, ready to sucker punch the first shifter to step out.

Readying an action.
[roll0]

Edwin
2008-11-19, 09:16 AM
Miranda quickly and efficiently maneuvers to the front of the party, carrying Tam of course, and lets out a bark, a warning to her master.
Spotting the thugs pulling their concealed daggers, Tam starts removing the leather straps from his lance, and the excitement of the coming fight glows in his face.

Edwin
2008-11-19, 09:34 AM
[roll0]
I am sorry for the double post, but I had trouble using the forum rollers in my previous post, and I figured I would try my luck with a new one.

Yawielas
2008-11-19, 12:03 PM
(Init 22, attack 4 )

Vendelyn silently curses the fact that her weapons are peace bound, then just grabs her longbow, trying to take a swipe at the closest thug's knife hand.

MenhirRocksolid
2008-11-19, 12:15 PM
"Here we go again.."
Initiative: [roll0] readies a spell of some sort

Edwin
2008-11-19, 12:22 PM
As a little sidenote for our dear DM, I would just like to say that I wish to position myself exactly 10ft. (2 squares) away from the nearest thug, and in a way so there are no obstacles in the way, or anything that obscures my view. This includes other player characters. Also, Menhir, to ready an action, you have to state what action you are readying, say; casting entangle. You then have to, in addition, state under what conditions the readied action should trigger under, say; If the target moves (that is, you also have to designate a target for the action). Unless you do those things, you can't actually ready an action. Not to rant on you, but I just thought I would remind you :smallsmile:

MenhirRocksolid
2008-11-19, 01:27 PM
As a little sidenote for our dear DM, I would just like to say that I wish to position myself exactly 10ft. (2 squares) away from the nearest thug, and in a way so there are no obstacles in the way, or anything that obscures my view. This includes other player characters. Also, Menhir, to ready an action, you have to state what action you are readying, say; casting entangle. You then have to, in addition, state under what conditions the readied action should trigger under, say; If the target moves (that is, you also have to designate a target for the action). Unless you do those things, you can't actually ready an action. Not to rant on you, but I just thought I would remind you :smallsmile:

I guess you're right concerning readying an action but I was/am unsure how the DM would handle this stuff when the "order" of the players/npc's has not yet been assigned via initiative. The stated ready action was more meant as some kind of fluff, but I guess it should then have been placed outside of the spoiler. It should of course be possible to ready an action outside of combat too. I'm also unsure whether the DM allows the spell "Entangle" to be cast inside a shop, or in this part of town (need for plants to be present?). For now just see my actions as if I'm getting my components ready for casting a spell, I'll wait till its my turn in the initiative order before I do anything.

Edwin
2008-11-19, 01:38 PM
I guess you're right concerning readying an action but I was/am unsure how the DM would handle this stuff when the "order" of the players/npc's has not yet been assigned via initiative. The stated ready action was more meant as some kind of fluff, but I guess it should then have been placed outside of the spoiler. It should of course be possible to ready an action outside of combat too. I'm also unsure whether the DM allows the spell "Entangle" to be cast inside a shop, or in this part of town (need for plants to be present?). For now just see my actions as if I'm getting my components ready for casting a spell, I'll wait till its my turn in the initiative order before I do anything.

Actually, the Entangle thing was just an example, I am pretty sure casting Entangle inside will be banned, as per the spells description.
I meant no offense at all with my comment, I just wondered what you meant, and reminded you of the Ready-an-action rules, in case you forgot.
Although, if you have some sort of targetted combat spell prepared, using a readied action to cast might actually be a smart move, as you would be able to get a spell off before the mooks can even touch you, no matter wether you or they get to go first, just make sure it is set to trigger on the right conditions.

MenhirRocksolid
2008-11-19, 03:19 PM
Gary makes somes gestures mutters something about asking for guidance (casts guidance) and after that draws his meat tenderizer (small wooden club) and whispers something in Ruffus ear.

No offense taken Edwin. Anyhow, taken enough actions for now, except that Ruffus has now readied an action to charge anybody who attacks or is attacked by Tam, or his dog.

achilleus
2008-11-19, 07:37 PM
Vendelyn (22) stepped forward to defend the shopkeeper, boldly swung her bow at the nearest thug, but using the weapon in an unconvenional way was not pretty (a 4).

Iosef (20) moved next to the door and prepared to cut off any chance of escape for the thugs. (He readied an action to attack the first shifter to burst from the door.)

(The rest . . .)The rest of the party has yet to act since the last post, so Tam and Gary are with Millin in the street, Kazai is barely within the shop, and Crim is jammed in the doorway with no room before him.
Millin (18) is next.
Gary (14) will be after him; you'd stated he will cast guidance; getting out peace-bound weapons is a full round action, so you will have to choose between the two.

The rest of the order:
Scrib (10)
Kazai (9)
Tam (8)
Crim (2)

Scrib, there is no immediate back door, these shops are like row-houses, you'd have to go way out of your way to try something like that.

Jokes
2008-11-19, 08:45 PM
Millin

Unable to get through, Millin presses his back against the outside wall, keeping an eye on the streets, fidgetting with his crossbow to fit the mechanism in.

kopout
2008-11-19, 09:25 PM
Or rather he would have gone in through the back door. If there had been one.
((is there a window or anything I could climb up to ?))

achilleus
2008-11-20, 12:02 AM
Two of the shifters moved in concert to attack Vendelyn. One moved up and feinted at her while another moved opposite him, into a flanking position, lashing out with his dagger. The third remained crouched in the back, waiting cautiously.

Rolls
First one uses Aid Another[roll0]
Second one is flanking, attacks[roll1] (+2 more if aid another works)

achilleus
2008-11-20, 12:09 AM
The feint wasn't successful, as Vendelyn sensed the real danger behind her; however, it wasn't enough to prevent his slashing attack.

Damage
[roll0]

Scrib peeked out of his hiding spot to consider windows on the second story; the first story of this block was stone, with a wooden second story protruding over the sidewalk. A tricky climb, but nothing far beyond what he'd done in the past. To see about the window situation, he'd have to venture farther out of hiding and into the street.

Kazai was currently 10 feet from the nearest robber, and had a decision to make . . .

Kazai
2008-11-20, 02:22 AM
Kazai
Barely able to open her spell component pouch in time to see Vendelyn attacked, Kazai grabs a pinch of multi-colored sand and murmurs some words under her breathe. Arching her hand just right hoping that the ribbon on her fingers doesn't affect the spell, she casts Color Spray on the group of thugs.

She aims so that she hits the maximum number of the thugs

MenhirRocksolid
2008-11-20, 03:11 AM
Since Gary cant see any specifics he'll simply be waiting behind Miranda, getting his club out, and Ruffus is readied to charge behind Miranda when he has a clear line of bite/sight of one of the thugs

Yawielas
2008-11-20, 05:02 AM
Vendelyn cries out and steps back as the dagger cuts into her pretty badly. She presses a hand to the wound, feeling the hot blood seeping through her fingers. Drawing in breath through her teeth in a pained hiss, she kicks at her nearest opponent to get him away, acting on pure instinct.

Kick:
[roll0]

Edwin
2008-11-20, 09:19 AM
Tam herds Miranda on, screaming in the joy of the coming fight, and batters the blunt part of his lance upon the most forward thug, crashing further on into the interior of the store!

The above only apply in case you, the DM, rules that I have yet to un-peacebound my lance. Here are the rolls:
I use a full-round action to first charge the nearest thug:
[roll0]
[roll1] (remember to multiply by three - by virtue of lance+spirited charge feat. Also note that it is non-lethal damage)
Then I move exactly 10ft. away from the thug I just struk at, in a straight line inside the the store.
Edit: So, if this in the action I'll be doing, and assuming I hit him, thats a 18 damage.

Tam herds Miranda on, screaming in the joy of the coming fight, and jabs his lance towards the most forward thug's chest, crashing further on into the interior of the store!

The above only apply in case you, the DM, rules that I have un-peacebound my lance. Here are the rolls:
I use a full-round action to first charge the nearest thug:
[roll2]
[roll3] (remember to multiply by three - by virtue of lance+spirited charge feat.)
Then I move exactly 10ft. away from the thug I just struck at, in a straight line inside the the store.
Edit: And if this is the one chosen, we are looking at a 21 damage.

achilleus
2008-11-20, 10:22 AM
Kazai
. . . Arching her hand just right hoping that the ribbon on her fingers doesn't affect the spell, she casts Color Spray on the group of thugs.

The brilliant flash of light drops two of the thugs, one of those flanking Vendelyn and the one in the back. The shifter who struck her still stands, and faces a vicious assault as a pair of halfling riders charges past the shocked owner into the shop, shouting warcries in their native tongue. They club him with their blunted, peace-bound weapons, and Vendelyn strikes out and kicks him in an automatic reaction. Under this barrage of blows he relents, dropping his weapon and falling to his knees as he shouts, "Please, stop! We didn't come here for a fight! No one was supposed to get hurt! I give up!"

Edwin
2008-11-20, 11:29 AM
Tam let out a loud sigh, held back the barking Miranda, and exclaimed: "Meh, that was one hell of a let-down".
He then placed the lance in its sheath on his back, pulled out his roasted chicken piece, and started chewing away..

Kazai
2008-11-20, 11:52 AM
Kazai surveys the room and looks at the thug who just spoke with distaste. Well what did you come here for? And to Vendelyn and the shopkeeper Are you alright?

Kazai removes the ribbon from her fingers and seems preoccupied with tending to Vendelyn's wound at first then realizes she hasn't the slightest clue really what she could do to help and resigns herself to looking around the extremely crowded shop.

Yawielas
2008-11-20, 12:04 PM
Vendelyn sinks down on a chair or the floor if no chair is available, holding her side where the dagger made a long, rather deep gash. (4 hp might not sound as much, but it's half her total hp, so I guess she's rather badly hurt.) Looking up at Kazai with a pale face, she answers:"I'm not sure..."

MenhirRocksolid
2008-11-20, 12:04 PM
"Ruffus, let go! You'll be getting a nice bone to chew on later." Then Gari looks at Vendelyn and Kazai. "Hmmm, quite a flesh wound you have there. This should stop the bleeding for now." Gari casts cure minor wounds on Vendelyn. Better tie those three trouble makers up now, before they perform any more foolishness.

Yawielas
2008-11-20, 12:15 PM
Vendelyn looks gratefully at the halfling as he makes her wound close. "Thank you. That's much better."

Maurkov
2008-11-21, 12:51 AM
Iosef

Iosef comes around the corner and takes in the room. He says to the conscious shifter, "Oh man. You got beat up by halflings? You're going to wish they killed you, 'cause you're never gonna to live this down."

"Smith. Got any, I don't know, manacles they can use?"

Noticing the blood, Iosef loses his jovial attitude. He looks back at the smith.

"What'd they want, anyway?"

achilleus
2008-11-21, 01:48 PM
Gary's spell helps Vendelyn recover, and she is given a chair on which to rest.

The shopkeeper is still shaken, but manages to regain some of his composure. "I'm not sure what they were after. Things are out of order, let me see what is missing.

I don't have any manacles; There is some rope in the back, let me get some for you." He moves behind the counter, and begins to rummage.

The shifter glares at Iosef, and says defiantly to Kazai, "The store was supposed to be empty, we didn't come to hurt anybody!"

OOC:Any sort of skill checks or abilities you'd care to use?

Edwin
2008-11-21, 03:03 PM
"You sure about that? Cause if you ain't, I'd be happy to slap you around a bit more! Now tell us what you were after!" The short, military cut halfling screamed out into the face of the only mook left standing, after the colorful spray that Kazai had cast.

[roll0]
Edit: Uhhhh, natural 20! :smallsmile: Oh, and that is a 24, not a 22. I forgot that I had 4 ranks in Intimidate, instead of 2. Sorry

Yawielas
2008-11-21, 03:15 PM
Vendelyn watches the militant halfling interrogate the would be thief, listening quietly. Then she looks to the two on the floor. "We should search them, see if they found what they were after...Then we can take them to the city guard, or the Keep."

Maurkov
2008-11-21, 03:34 PM
Iosef

"The store was supposed to be empty, we didn't come to hurt anybody!""I'm sure the Law will find that very convincing, what with the knives you were carrying and the blood. Not that the Law gets it right that often.... I think you're going to hang."

[roll0]
If Iosef can only "aid another" at this point, that's what he's doing.

There's a hint there that if he cooperates we might not turn him in.

Edit: Hey, I got one too.

achilleus
2008-11-21, 06:56 PM
“Thank you for the assistance. I don’t know what I would have done without it. My name is Theldrat” the shopkeeper said while searching behind the counter. He provided rope to secure the thugs.

When the threats began, the shifter started to talk: "We was told the shop was open, and we's free to take what we could find. There wasn't supposed to be anyone here, honestly!

As for the knives? You've seen where we're from - it's suicide to not be carryin' in the Southspur."

At the mention that the shop was already open, Theldrat suddenly seemed to panic, and hustled back behind the counter. He frantically searched for a few moments while digging out his keys, muttering unintelligibly under his breath, and suddenly got back up shouting, “It’s missing! I’ll have it back you dogs! Search them! They’ve stolen my key!”

The shifter stared back incredulously, insisting, "We ain't took no keys! I swear!"

Kazai
2008-11-21, 07:23 PM
Kazai looks curiously at Theldrat and says If you're refering to the key to the shop, the door really was unlocked they didn't need a key. However if you're talking about something else let us know what we're looking for and we'll help.

achilleus
2008-11-21, 07:57 PM
Kazai looks curiously at Theldrat and says If you're refering to the key to the shop, the door really was unlocked they didn't need a key. However if you're talking about something else let us know what we're looking for and we'll help.
He seemed to regain some composure from her words, and tried to clarify, "The key is not to this shop, it was in the shop, . . . it . . . well, my father gave it to me. It, it isn't properly for anything, but it is an heirloom. It's an old copper key with a coat-of-arms at the top, it was a gift from my father, it, it was the only thing I still have from him. Search these buggers for it!" His frantic mood returned as he built up speed during this rant.

kopout
2008-11-21, 08:14 PM
climb [roll0]

kopout
2008-11-21, 08:47 PM
Scrib was able to climb the wall, had there ever been any doubt. But he could hear a commotion from the first floor, he hoped that they could not hear him sneaking around upstairs.

move silantly [roll0]

achilleus
2008-11-22, 11:46 AM
Scrib easily ascended the outer wall while the commotion was going on below. He managed to make it undetected to a window on the second floor, and since it wasn't locked, he opened it. Peering inside, he saw what was obviously a middle-class apartment. The smells of breakfast came from another room, and muffled voices could be heard from other rooms on the second floor. Clearly, from below came the words "YOU DOGS", and then more muffled shouts from below. Sitting in the windowsill, he had a decision to make.

Yawielas
2008-11-22, 12:30 PM
Vendelyn starts searching the men for the key, not really expecting to find anything. The surprised look on the scoundrel's face had seemed real enough. "Who told you the shop would be open and empty?" And looking to the locksmith, she continues: "Who knew you were out?"

achilleus
2008-11-22, 01:16 PM
"Who told you the shop would be open and empty?"
After glaring back up at Iosef and Tam, he reluctantly continued:"It was Wolfram; he said that . . . well, he'd seen this place was open, so we should grab what we could before the old man got here."

"Who knew you were out?"

"I am never here until later in the morning. I rented out the apartments above and moved into the Westhill area. I came in a little early this morning because I had a bad feeling . . ."

One of the other shifters began to stir, although he showed no signs of recognition. Clearly, the effects of the spell were not through with him.

Edwin
2008-11-22, 02:46 PM
"And who might this Wolfram be, eh?" Tam's voice was sharp, and the undertone suggested that the threat of continuous beatings with his leather-strapped lance had yet to expire.

Maurkov
2008-11-22, 03:01 PM
Iosef

"it's suicide to not be carryin' in the Southspur."Iosef shakes his head. "You're shifters, you sons of bitches. You're the reason other people carry in Southspur."

Convinced they know nothing, Iosef turns to Theldrat. "Here's what I think happened: Someone wanted your key, so he broke in this morning and took it. Then he arranged for these fools to come and make a mess. They were supposed to get caught fencing the stuff later. The Law thinks it's got the criminals and doesn't look any farther.

"Since it looks like a professional job, maybe they'll continue to be professional about it. Let 'em know that it has sentimental value, and once they've used it (or made a copy), they'll return it to you."

Iosef suspects the locksmith has an idea what the key is for, and that it's valuable. [roll0] on Theldrat's reaction. If you'd rather roll secretly, of course disregard my roll.

MenhirRocksolid
2008-11-22, 03:12 PM
Seeing as he's not needed in the bad cop/bad cop department he starts tying up one of the thugs with a piece of silk rope. Use rope: [roll0]

Kazai
2008-11-22, 05:13 PM
Kazai helps by tying up the remaining incapacitated thug. Looking at Theldrat Kazai says, If you could help us a little more with the details of this key, we might be able to help. If it was truly worthless, why would someone want to steal it? Second who knew you had it?
[roll0]

kopout
2008-11-22, 11:31 PM
Scrib easily ascended the outer wall while the commotion was going on below. He managed to make it undetected to a window on the second floor, and since it wasn't locked, he opened it. Peering inside, he saw what was obviously a middle-class apartment. The smells of breakfast came from another room, and muffled voices could be heard from other rooms on the second floor. Clearly, from below came the words "YOU DOGS", and then more muffled shouts from below. Sitting in the windowsill, he had a decision to make.

This was a nice place and nice places had nice things. Help people he didn't know or take nice things , no contest really. he begines slowly surching the room careful not to make a sound and keeping his ears perked for any sound from downstairs
so I take a 10 on search( do I apply modifiers?) and I roll the folowing die
listen[roll1d20[/roll]
move silantly [roll0]

kopout
2008-11-22, 11:32 PM
((opps:smallredface:)))

listen[roll0]

Jokes
2008-11-23, 12:53 AM
Millin

Still outside, Millin overhears the conversation inside. He keeps his eyes on the streets, looking for anyone who might be observing them closer than others.

[roll0]

RationalGoblin
2008-11-23, 10:06 AM
Crim

Crim's shoulders sag in disappointment. He was supposed to be a holy warrior, and he couldn't do anything.

However, listening to the conversation, he rubs his chin thoughtfully. Interesting...

As a replacement for not being able to help in the fight, and indeed being an obstacle, Crim listens for any trouble coming, muttering praises to Wee Jas under his breath to help him focus on his task.

Listen: 1d20+2
Perhaps Concentration if that will help? [roll0]

RationalGoblin
2008-11-23, 10:19 AM
((Whoops, my listen check didn't work, trying again.))

Listen: [roll0]
Hey cool, a natural 20.

Edwin
2008-11-25, 11:19 AM
Bored with the, in his mind, tedious conversation, Tam started walking around the store, still chewing on his roasted chicken, looking for anything that might be of value to him. Or some food, perhabs.

Search check for anything that might have quest value, money value, or food. [roll0]

achilleus
2008-11-26, 11:08 AM
Scrib crept slowly through the room, scanning for valuables and keeping his ears open. There was a rather plain bed in the room and an old wooden dresser, and an old worn desk across the room from these. Nothing leapt out as being of immediate value. He could still hear voices further into the apartments, and the sounds from below lowered down to a murmur, so that he couldn't make out any particular words.

Outside, Millin saw most of the other diners now standing and gawking at the parade of individuals who entered the shop. Some of the shouts, no doubt, were heard from the streets. Millin spotted a group of three men dressed in the grey cloaks of the Baron's guard. The on-lookers started to hail the guards, and conversation took place as they pointed toward the shop.

Within, the prisoners were finally all tied up and secured. The two were returning to consciousness but still insensible. The third continued to give up information as pressure was applied. He pointed out that Iosef, of course, knew Wolfram from the Southspur. He avoids saying that Wolfram was the one who broke into the shop, though.

Theldrat seemed reluctant to continue on, complaining that all this stress was hurting his head. Perhaps someone was after the key . . . but he remained resolute that it had no value beyond his family. He was unaware that anyone else knew about the key anyway.

Tam was unable to spot any food. There is a door in the back of the room, behind the service counter.

Kazai
2008-11-26, 11:44 AM
To no one in particular, Perhaps someone should pay this Wolfram a visit.

Turning to Iosef, I don't believe we've met, I'm Kazai. If you know where Wolfram resides would you mind coming with some of us to see what he knows?

Suddenly Kazai remembers she was on an important errand to deliver a note and the entire event unfolding seems trivial. Still resisting the desire to read the folded note, she excuses herself from the crowded scene and quickly resumes her delivery.

I apologize for having to leave but things seem to be under control anyways. I will be back to see what's going on shortly but I need to deliver this note, I had forgotten about it until now.

Maurkov
2008-11-26, 06:28 PM
Iosef

Iosef smiles at Kazai, supressing the urge to flex. "I'm Iosef."

"Yeah. I know Wolfram. The thief probably went to him because he's known to command some expendable thugs. It's not likely to be the friendly sort of chat as we've had here. He's capricious and dangerous, and he's unlikely to be moved by threats of Law or violence."

"Theldrat, I'm sorry to have troubled you. If you want it back, decide what you're willing to offer. You can reach me through the Church of Kord in Southspur."

Kazai
2008-11-26, 08:55 PM
Kazai smiles at Iosef and continues on her way to deliver the letter.

Edwin
2008-11-27, 11:53 AM
Tam muttered curses and swear words, enraged with the lack of food, he looked on the shopkeeper with a disappointed expression.. And then, with a sudden change of mood, he pointed at the backdoor, turned once again to the shopkeeper and asked where it led to?

MenhirRocksolid
2008-11-27, 12:18 PM
Reading right into Tam's state of mind, Gary mutters: "I should have prepared goodberries this morning"

Yawielas
2008-11-27, 12:27 PM
Vendelyn looks outside, seeing the baron's guards approaching. "Looks like the law is here." She stands and moves to the door to see if it's anyone she recognizes. "Hello. There was an attempted robbery, but it's been taken care of. They're inside." She steps aside to let them in.

Maurkov
2008-11-27, 12:34 PM
Iosef

As they enter, Iosef adds, "Assault," indicating Vendelyn's wound, "concealed weapons," the knives, "conspiracy."

RationalGoblin
2008-11-27, 02:04 PM
Crim

"Don't forget robbery. In fact, armed robbery. And, depending on how you look at it, breaking and entering."

Crim slides out of the way of the Baron's guards, but studies them closely, attempting to discern if they had anything, like symbols on them, that could prove of use to him.

spot: [roll0]
Knowledge: Religion: [roll1]

achilleus
2008-11-30, 04:13 PM
The three guards all bore the crest of the baron on their chests. After completing their questioning of the morning diners, they approached Millin and the shop.

As Kazai made her way out of the door to complete her errand, the lead guard, a tall man with hair and beard giving way to grey, reached out and grabbed her arm to stop her. "Not so fast there, lassy. We'll be needing to chat with you for just a moment, if it please you." His tone of voice and the strength of his grip indicated that he didn't particularly give a damn whether it pleased her or not.

The trio proceeded into the shop with Kazai in tow, as Theldrat (who had ignored Tam's question with a sour look on his face) was starting to reply to Iosef.

"Hello. There was an attempted robbery, but it's been taken care of. They're inside."
She didn't recognize any of them, but the grey one replied "Thank you, ma'am. Come on inside with us, we're here to get this mess sorted out."

"Assault," indicating Vendelyn's wound, "concealed weapons," the knives, "conspiracy."
"Don't forget robbery. In fact, armed robbery. And, depending on how you look at it, breaking and entering."
"Those are harsh accusations, fellas. We'll have to confirm what you've said. Is the owner of the shop present?"

Theldrat began a sort of nervous babble, and the aware shifter started hollering that they'd been wronged, when the grey guard shouted for silence, and had the three groups split. He stepped aside and had a word with Theldrat, while one of the guards corraled the group to one side of the shop to try and get an explanation of the events from them. The last guard took the three shifters outside (still bound, two of them blind but coming to their senses) to question them.

OOCIs Millin going to come inside and join them?
Crib heard some confused shouting from downstairs, then a shout for silence. As he entered the hallway, there was a door on each side, another room with a closed door straight ahead, and a stairway the lead down just past that door. The smell of breakfast was drifting up from the stairs.

Edwin
2008-11-30, 04:27 PM
"Hey! You did'nt answer my question Tam shouted at the shopkeeper as he went outside, and then added: "And dont you go all grapefruit on me, you damn, bitter old man!"

Jokes
2008-11-30, 08:06 PM
Millin

Millin pokes his head in the doorway, then slides along the wall until he's only just inside.

Maurkov
2008-11-30, 10:02 PM
Iosef

"What happened is pretty simple, really. Those guys tried to help themselves to the things in this shop. A few concerned citizens intervened. The shifters pulled knives and one of them cut the lady. Then they lost." He shrugs.

Going all obsequious, Iosef adds, "I see this sort of thing all the time in Southspur. I didn't think it was tolerated here."

MenhirRocksolid
2008-12-01, 06:47 AM
Gary unties and gets his silk rope back as soon as the gaurds put the mooks in some proper shackles.

Kazai
2008-12-01, 06:33 PM
Kazai doesn't bother arguing or struggling with the guards and just stands around inside the shop waiting for the guards to decide what they think happened.

achilleus
2008-12-05, 10:30 AM
After his interrogation, Theldrat stood nervously to one side, wringing his hat in his hands. As the three guards gathered to review the stories of the interested parties, Millin and the others watching at the door notice that more investigators have arrived: the blue-clad Watchers of Cuthbert are on the scene, getting pointed to the shop by the gathering crowd at the inn across the way.

The four Watchers approached the shop, and looked with curiosity on the shackled thugs, still woozy and sitting at the front of the shop.

Yawielas
2008-12-05, 10:34 AM
Vendelyn answers all questions truthfully when asked, then returns to her table across the street where her belongings hopefully still are.

Maurkov
2008-12-08, 11:35 AM
Iosef

Iosef waits impatiently. As the men in blue arrive, Iosef asks, "So, we'll answer the same questions again?"