PDA

View Full Version : two weapon fighting

Celeres
2008-11-17, 12:32 PM
so, let's say you have improved two weapon fighting.

extra attack on your offhand at a minus 5 penalty. not bad.

me and my friend are wondering, does it use your main BAB, or does it us your secondary BAB?

like, if you're a fighter, and at 6th level you take it, would you use the +6, or the +1?

rayne_dragon
2008-11-17, 12:35 PM
My understanding is you use your main BAB. That how every group I've played with has done it. So the fighter uses his +6 in your example.

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-17, 12:38 PM
A martial BAB gives one an attack of +20/+15/+10/+5

Taking TWF gives you +20 with your off hand.
Improved TWF makes it +20/+15, and so on.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-17, 12:39 PM
so, let's say you have improved two weapon fighting.

extra attack on your offhand at a minus 5 penalty. not bad.

me and my friend are wondering, does it use your main BAB, or does it us your secondary BAB?

like, if you're a fighter, and at 6th level you take it, would you use the +6, or the +1?

-5, it imitates BAB (BAB is also -5 if you never noticed).

Example, 6th level Fighter with TWFing and ITWFing with Str of 14 feat uses a light off hand weapon has -2 penalty (note that for example weapons aren't materwork):
Total Attack bonus is: +6/6/+1/+1.

Shishnarfne
2008-11-17, 12:40 PM
This is easiest with an example:

Fighter 6, BAB +6, Dex 18, Weapon Finesse, using two shortswords.
Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting

Using one Shortsword would be at +10/+5 (+6/+1 BAB and +4 dex)

Using two shortswords would be +8/+3 for the primary hand and +8/+3 for the secondary (+6/+1 BAB, +4 Dex, -2 TWF penalty).

So it's basically equivalent to spending feats to get the iterative attacks granted by BAB for your off-hand weapon.

(And I will not go on record defending this build as the most effective TWF build, or fighter build, though I think it makes a decent start for a straight-class fighter who goes TWF.)

Edit: I see that I have been ninja'd most effectively.

Rad
2008-11-17, 06:38 PM
TWF mechanically is a really bad strategy though. It gets better only if you have some special effect that gets off per hit, such as sneak attack, touch of golden ice or similar.

Morty
2008-11-17, 06:43 PM
TWF mechanically is a really bad strategy though. It gets better only if you have some special effect that gets off per hit, such as sneak attack, touch of golden ice or similar.

Which is absolutely beside the point here.

Rad
2008-11-18, 07:34 AM
Which is absolutely beside the point here.

You're right, that's what I get for visiting the forums when I'm too tired. I think I have to apologize. :smallfrown: