PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Prestige Class : Scythe Master

Bergor Terraf
2008-11-17, 02:43 PM
Notes, Comments and Warnings
This is my first attempt at making a prestige class. I tried to make a scythe user without using any of its associations with the Grim Reaper, basing it instead on the weird shape of the weapon itself and fun things that can be done with it.

Since it is my first prestige class, it's probaby overpowered, so don't be afraid to tell me! Also, the name is pretty generic, so if anyone has a suggestion, i'm listening.

The Scythe Master

"I'm her for my special order" said the man. The blacksmith nodded and went in it's back store, letting his young apprentice keep company to the man. His curiosity getting the best of him, the apprentice asked the man : "Is it a sword?". The man, a little amused answered "What makes you think I'm here for a weapon. I could be here to buy a farming tool for all you know!"

- Well, the only special orders my master makes these days are weapons and you look more the warrior type than the farming type. So, is it a sword?"

-No

-A big axe then?

-Still no.

-A pair of daggers?

-Not even close.

Before the apprentice could continue it's interrogation, the blacksmith came back with the man's order, who then paid him, smiled at the speechless apprentice and went on it's way.

"A scythe!?! Maybe he really was a farmer…" His master started laughing "A farmer? Don't be stupid, boy. No mere farmer is gonna ask me to make a custom scythe for him. I can assure you that it's not crops that this guy will be mowing down."

HD : d10

REQUIREMENTS
Base Attack Bonus : +5
Feats : Weapon focus (scythe), Power Attack

Class Skills : Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Ride, and Swim.
Skill Points at Each Level : 2 + Int Modifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies : A Scythe Master gains no proficiencies with weapons or armor.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Easy trip +1, Side Hit

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Swipe (full attack)

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|That ain't a scratch +2

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Easy trip +2, Underswing (1d6)

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Overhead Strike (level x2)

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Swipe (standard action), Underswing (2d6)

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Easy trip +3, Clothesline

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|That ain't a scratch +4, Underswing (3d6)

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Overhead Strike (level x3)

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Easy trip +4, Swipe (attack)[/table]

Easy Trip : By using the natural form of the scythe, the Scythe Master finds it easier to make their opponents kiss the floor. Starting at first level, he gains a +1 bonus on his Strength check to trip an opponent. This bonus rise by +1 every three Scythe Master levels thereafter (4th, 7th and 10th level). This bonus stacks with improved trip.

Side Hit (Ex): The Scythe Master learned how to use his weapon's unusual shape to his advantage. He now ignores the shield AC bonus of his opponents.

Swipe (Ex): As a full attack action, target up to 3 opponents that you threaten and are adjacent to each other. Make an attack against each one of them using your highest base attack bonus. At 6th level, it takes a standard action to do. At 10th level, you can replace any attack in a full attack by a swipe. In that case, use the attack bonus the normal attack would have had. Cannot be used in combinations with Overhead Strike, Underswing or Clothesline.

That ain't a scratch (Ex): The Scythe Master is more aware of the subtleties of wielding a scythe, helping him turn a good hit into a painful one for his opponent. At 3rd level, he gains a +2 bonus to confirm a critical hit. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level. This bonus stacks with power critical.

Underswing (Ex): By placing the blade of his scythe along the ground and thrusting it upward, the Scythe Master can hit an unaware opponent from a place where attacks seldom come : from below. Once per opponent, the Scythe Master can declare, before making an attack, to make an Underswing. If the attack hits, it deals extra damage : 1D6 at 4th level, 2D6 at 6th level and 3D6 at 8th level. Cannot be used in combinations with Overhead Strike, Swipe or Clothesline.

Overhead Strike (Ex): By using his scythe as a giant pick, the Scythe Master can put tremendous force in a single blow. Starting at 5th level, the scythe master can declare an attack to be an Overhead Strike. If the attack hits, it deals extra damage equal to 2x his level in Scythe Master. This attack can be used a number of times per day equal to his level in Scythe Master. At 8th level, the bonus damage increases to 3x level. Cannot be used in combinations with Underswing, Swipe or Clothesline.

Clothesline (Ex): The Scythe Master's mastery of his chosen weapon has become so great as to enable him to use very unorthodox attacks. He can run past an enemy but put the blade of his scythe beside him, hitting his enemy with the momentum of his movement. A Scythe Master can now make a charge and continue his movement after hitting his target, as long has he moves in a straight line the whole way. Cannot be used in combinations with Overhead Strike, Swipe or Underswing.

DracoDei
2008-11-17, 04:27 PM
I assume you mean that with a 10th level swipe that for each attack in a full attack they can make 3 attacks at 3 seperate opponents? Don't give full BAB for EACH attack at 10th level... just the same attack bonus as the attack being trippled had.

Other than that, it looks good.

Bergor Terraf
2008-11-17, 06:13 PM
You were right DracoDei, that was my intent. I've clarified it in the skill description.

Prometheus
2008-11-17, 10:28 PM
I presume you can't use any combination of Swipe, Underswing, Overhead Strike, and Clothesline in the same turn. I like the use of the scythe, even if it doesn't dwell on the usual fluff of a scythe.

DracoDei
2008-11-17, 11:17 PM
I would allow Clothsline + Swipe probably, and MAYBE Clothsline + Side Hit... other than that, none of them.

Lord_Gareth
2008-11-18, 08:22 AM
I've got a couple of scythe-based PrCs - check the Homebrew link in my siggy and compare.

Zeta Kai
2008-11-18, 09:31 AM
Nice job on this one, BT. This is the best non-ToB melee PrC I've seen in a while. It makes me wanna roll up a melee character, just to play this. I like the different combat options that you've introduced.

One thing, though. The class features each need a special ability category. I would presume that they all would be (Ex), but it needs to be clearly stated. Also, Prometheus makes a good point about combining features; it would be nice if you made it clear which features (if any) can be used in conjunction.

Lappy9000
2008-11-18, 09:52 AM
I really like having a scythe class not centered around reaping souls. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's nice to see a class based on the scythe itself. Nice!

Bergor Terraf
2008-11-18, 08:20 PM
I presume you can't use any combination of Swipe, Underswing, Overhead Strike, and Clothesline in the same turn.

Exactly. Abilities now clearly state it.

It makes me wanna roll up a melee character, just to play this.

Couldn't ask for a better reaction!

One thing, though. The class features each need a special ability category. I would presume that they all would be (Ex), but it needs to be clearly stated.

Thanks for the reminder, it's been edited.

Thank you all for your comments. I'm just happy that eveyone seems to like it.

P.S.:Lord_Gareth, your homebrew section has been filed in my "to read" file.

watsyurname529
2008-11-18, 09:33 PM
This is quite nice. Very well balanced and flavorful. Out of the box and unique. Two thumbs up for you.

The only thing is maybe adding Weapon Specialization as a bonus feat at 3rd Level (ignoring prereqs) to show that Mastery of the Scythe and give it a slight bit of power to keep up with other classes.