PDA

View Full Version : Haley Question (possible OtOotPC spoilers)

bibliophile
2008-11-17, 03:51 PM
I was rereading the archives and I noticed something odd. In panel 21 of 468, when elan is taking haley's shirt off, we can see a red mark of some kind on her back. I have not read On the Origins of the PCs, and have no idea if this mark is important. Is it a scar? Tattoo? Is it even in OtOotPCs, or is it just a random scar?

Moriarty
2008-11-17, 03:55 PM
its a tattoo =)

haley mentions it here http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0309.html , panel 9

let me search the translation thread, sec

check here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4909)

Texas Jedi
2008-11-17, 03:57 PM
I never noticed it before, but it looks like a heart tattoo.

bibliophile
2008-11-17, 04:00 PM
Does the tattoo play a role in On the Origin of the PCs?

MikoROCKS
2008-11-17, 04:05 PM
i just that was a light from the eyes on the skull Belkar's holding...

where do you find the backstories for the charactors?

Texas Jedi
2008-11-17, 04:19 PM
Does the tattoo play a role in On the Origin of the PCs?

No it doesn't

i just that was a light from the eyes on the skull Belkar's holding...

where do you find the backstories for the charactors?

The Giant released a book called the Origins of the PC's. It covers a story of their past and how they joined the Order of the Stick.

archon_huskie
2008-11-17, 04:31 PM
That's actually the scar from when Haley's wings were cut off. Haley is not exactly what you would call a human. She's half-celestial.

She mentions this in strip 309.

Texas Jedi
2008-11-17, 04:38 PM
That's actually the scar from when Haley's wings were cut off. Haley is not exactly what you would call a human. She's half-celestial.

They were bat-wings and she is a half-fiend.

David Argall
2008-11-17, 04:54 PM
I was rereading the archives and I noticed something odd. In panel 21 of 468, when elan is taking haley's shirt off, we can see a red mark of some kind on her back. I have not read On the Origins of the PCs, and have no idea if this mark is important. Is it a scar? Tattoo? Is it even in OtOotPCs, or is it just a random scar?

The tramp stamp is probably a foreshadowing.

The details are unclear, but this tattoo will be used to identify Haley under some future conditions, likely in the next book. It may identify her to her mother or father, who may not be who we and she thinks. Or she may be the princess-heir of somebody Lord Tyrinar deposed. So right now the mark is unimportant. But it will be important.

hamishspence
2008-11-17, 04:59 PM
here is an Eberron creature which comes with Wings already ripped off- fallen celestial- obsessed with being worshipped, but hasn't fallen all the way to fiend.

I'm sure haley isn't this (far too campaign-specific) but it does show the idea exists and has been statted out.

chiasaur11
2008-11-17, 05:26 PM

Her scars say "I (heart) GP"?

Those are weird scars.

Dark_Stryke
2008-11-17, 08:02 PM
Her scars say "I (heart) GP"?

Those are weird scars.

I'm with Chiasaur on this one. It looks like a tattoo that says "I (heart) (something)". I can't really make it out, but "GP" seems most likely.

SPoD
2008-11-18, 09:50 AM
I'm with Chiasaur on this one. It looks like a tattoo that says "I (heart) (something)". I can't really make it out, but "GP" seems most likely.

If you have "War and XPs", you can clearly see that the tattoo is a heart with an arrow through it, with no words. (The print quality of the book is much higher than the online strips.)

As for plot relevance, sometimes a tattoo is just a tattoo. I really thought the point of it was simply that Haley kept secrets before, and now she was OK with exposing them to Elan. Nothing more complicated than that.

Chronos
2008-11-18, 10:37 PM
Not only is the tattoo not significant in OtOotPCs, but there's a scene where we see her bare back (she's getting undressed for a fanservicebath), and she doesn't have it then.

GutlessWonder
2008-11-18, 10:54 PM
Her hair is probably covering it up.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-19, 02:03 PM
Her hair is probably covering it up.
Yeah, it's high enough up her back that that could be a possible explanation for that shot.

The other possibility being that the Giant hadn't come up with the tattoo yet. :smalltongue:

T-O-E
2008-11-19, 02:13 PM

Are you tryng to indoctrinate people with crazy/unlikely theories?

archon_huskie
2008-11-19, 05:08 PM
Just waiting for the day my wild theory is proved to be correct.

One Day.

One day.

d'Bwobsling
2008-11-19, 07:29 PM
Yeah, it's high enough up her back that that could be a possible explanation for that shot.

The other possibility being that the Giant hadn't come up with the tattoo yet. :smalltongue:

Or Haley got the tatoo between the time she was in OtOotPCs and strip #309

Warlord JK
2008-11-19, 07:34 PM
People have tatoos. Some get hearts on their back. Others get Japanese/Chinese letters on their arms. Others have snakes wrapping around their shoulder. Get over the tat.

whitelaughter
2008-11-19, 09:18 PM
Haley is not exactly what you would call a human.
IIIRC she listed as human in Dungeons of Dorukan, shooting that theory down.

archon_huskie
2008-11-19, 10:18 PM
Well half of her is anyways, and she appears human on account of the wings being removed from her back. Also we cannot expect the Giant to reveal a grand surprise in the card game hundreds of strips before it is revealed in the comic.

She is passing as human and is doing quite well. The scar is one of her few slips.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-19, 10:26 PM
Or Haley got the tatoo between the time she was in OtOotPCs and strip #309
Oh, yeah. I don't think she had opportunity to get it after the start of the Dungeon of Dorukan. But there was a nice 8-month interview between the shot in question and the Dungeon. Plenty of time to get a new tat.