PDA

View Full Version : which game?

thubby
2008-11-17, 09:42 PM
well, my birthday was a few days back, and with all the games being released, i have to pick just one as a gift from my parents.
so far on my list is (in no particular order):
left 4 dead
mirror's edge
call of duty: WaW
GoW 2
fable 2
fallout 3

unable to decide, i thought I'd ask you, fellow playgrounders. which would you get?

Crispy Dave
2008-11-17, 09:44 PM
depends on what your into.

Multiplayer?
CO-OP
single player?
RPG's?

thubby
2008-11-17, 11:44 PM
depends on what your into.

Multiplayer?
CO-OP
single player?
RPG's?

all of the above.

seriously, this is why i want to know what you would get. introspection has gotten me into this mess.

Nano
2008-11-17, 11:46 PM
It's a tossup between Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge and Left 4 Dead, I think. Can't rightly choose one out of the three though.

Phase
2008-11-18, 12:03 AM
Go with Left 4 Dead. If it's ever up in the air, always go with Valve, man.

Joran
2008-11-18, 12:22 AM
Go with Left 4 Dead. If it's ever up in the air, always go with Valve, man.

Just came back from playing the demo. I'm not really that impressed with Left 4 Dead; it feels like a Half-Life 2 mod. It is fun, but I don't think it's $50 worth of fun. I'd wait until it's bundled up with the Orange Box 2 (I hope they do).

Likewise with Mirror's Edge. The campaign is supposed to be short, around 7 hours. No co-op, no multiplayer means probably not good value for the money.

Crispy Dave
2008-11-18, 12:26 AM
well as far as time goes fallout 3 has alot of hours of gameplay.

But if you spend alot of time with multiplayer fragfests COD:WAW or GOW2 would be good.

personaly I would go with either COD:WAW or left 4 dead

Harp
2008-11-18, 01:01 AM
Presented in Descending Order of Percieved Awesome. I haven't played 'em all but I'm a bit of a x-box nut at the moment, so take my opinions for what they're worth.

Fallout 3- PLAYED
Based off the Oblivion engine, it is a really immersive RPG that ate up 63 hours of my life before I hit the end. I wasn't entirely satisfied with the ending and the shooting system presented obvious limits, but in terms of story and immersion the game has few peers. There is a morality system and most quests offer at least two methods of completion, giving the game a bit more replay value.

Gears of War 2-
I haven't played it yet but I have fond memories of the original, and the articles I've encountered promised much the same with more interest in character development and storyline. Whether or not the attempt came off as cheesy or sincere I can't say, but you should have fun chainsawing freaks in the face regardless.

Fable 2- PLAYED
A nifty little RPG that will eat up some hours of your life. If you liked the original, the sequal is much expanded in terms of hours to complete, areas, and quests. A nice feature to the Fable franchise is you tend to get at least two games having a good and an evil character out of it.

Left 4 Dead-
Looks interesting, moreso if you have friends. Valve is a nice developer and Half-Life 2 is a solid shooter engine, but no where has it been suggested the game will have the depth that Half-Life 1, 2, and the various expansions lended themselves to. The game seems more based on making tactical decisions in the heat of the moment and Multiplayer, both in terms of Co-Op and Team Deathmatch gameplay. I would say if you live with someone who plays the x-box with you, get it. Otherwise, wait until you're certain its what you want.

Mirrors Edge -
I haven't seen any gameplay on this yet, but it looks like its a graphics treat rather than something worth your $60. My guess is you'll get a few hours out of it before watching the girl jump around buildings whilst getting shot at wears thin.

Call of Duty: WaW-
My experience has been Call of Duty games has been they tend to have a hit with one game, then suck (I heard the developer switches, but I can't confirm that). I haven't heard anything about this one which leads me to believe it is of the latter variety, but I might be wrong.

revolver kobold
2008-11-18, 01:27 AM
I'd say go for Fallout 3. Its enough of a shooter that it should satisfy any shooter urges you have, and enough of an RPG that it should satisfy any role playing urges you have.

While not perfect, and being a long time Fallout fan I've definitely got some bones to pick with the game, it's one of the best games that's come out in a while.

late for dinner
2008-11-18, 08:43 AM
Well, I hve Fallout 3, Gears 2 and Call of Duty...I love all 3. But if I had to choose between them I would have to go probably with Gears...but that is really hard to make because COD is a lot of fun too...and has a sweet zombie mode you can unlock after you beat the game. Gears Has Horde mode though, which is freaking awesome...if you like waves of enemies running towards you with guns and stuff.

Martok
2008-11-19, 03:14 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about Call of Duty: World at War. It's been getting very positive reviews thus far.

banjo1985
2008-11-19, 05:47 AM
I'd go for Fallout 3, it's a big improvement on Oblivion. However, I'm not much for FPS's, so I can't really comment on their merits I'm afraid.

Archonic Energy
2008-11-19, 06:21 AM
IMHO...

left 4 dead Zombies, Check. Valve, Check. multiplayer, check. i'll be picking this one up later as by current backlog is getting long.

mirror's edge The Vids look impresive but i'm not quite sure how the game is going to play. see if you can get a demo or something first.

call of duty: WaW : while i enjoyed modern warfare (right up to the rather abrupt ending) i fear another trip into world war 2 may have not been the best of moves for them...there's only so many nazis you can kill.

GoW 2 : i thought the original GoW was medecore at best, but it seems to have gotten the console fans worked up, so maybe i'm not the best to comment

fable 2 : having not played Fable i fear i am ill-advised to offer any reasonable information. sorry.

fallout 3 : my current "short term*" time sink. very good. about to start my 2nd play through an an evil "female dog"... should be intresting

* my normal time sink is the "X" series of space sim games... and beleive me have i sunk some time into them!

Volug
2008-11-19, 09:40 AM
Ge-*Is already shot down*

NerfTW
2008-11-19, 10:03 AM
well, my birthday was a few days back, and with all the games being released, i have to pick just one as a gift from my parents.
so far on my list is (in no particular order):
left 4 dead
mirror's edge
call of duty: WaW
GoW 2
fable 2
fallout 3

unable to decide, i thought I'd ask you, fellow playgrounders. which would you get?

By genre I'd put GoW over Call of Duty. But I can only enjoy it in co-op mode.

Left 4 Dead is only good if you have friends to play it with. It's just straight slaughtering zombies. Really shallow but fun, definitely a party game. (Except I think you can only have two people on one console, the other two need to be online)

Fallout 3 vs Fable 2 depends on your preference. Fallout 3 is larger, more in depth. Fable 2 is like a Sims clone with a fighting engine tacked on. I enjoyed it, but I'd put Fallout 3 ahead of it.

Mirror's Edge is short, I'd suggest a rental for that, buy if you enjoy it.

As for me, I chose Spider-man Web of Shadows. :smalltongue:

three08
2008-11-19, 02:16 PM
i've had fun with fable 2, but i wouldn't say 60$+ worth of fun. i'd hold off on that one.

then again, games just don't last as long these days, and that's really my only complaint with fable 2. well, there is one other complaint but it might be construed as a spoiler so i'll just stew angrily for no apparent reason.

:smallannoyed:

seriously though, it's a pretty solid game.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-11-19, 09:13 PM
Only 1? Rough.

I've played (either via rental or purchase) all of the games you've mentioned except for CoD:WaW and Mirrors Edge. Though I don't think I would ever really suggest mirrors edge as a purchase, as it is apparently pretty short and lacking any sort of Multiplayer. Probably a good rent though.

As for World at War, I've only heard good things about it from those who have played it. It's apparently very much like Modern Warfare, so if you liked that game then it may be your choice.

Ok, so if you don't have Xbox-Live or a decent PC, I'm going to suggest: Fallout 3. It's a great single player game with all the yummy RPG trimmings. Fun and very addictive, it has TONS of hours of playtime. If you've ever played Oblivion (and were in the group that liked it, of course), then you know the feeling. And, IMO, it greatly improved on alot of Oblivions flaws.

If you don't have Xbox Live but have a fairly decent PC: Left4Dead for the PC. Do eeeeet. It's great Zombie killing fun, with both stellar Co-Op and an insanely fun Versus mode. I woulden't suggest it if all you want to do is play alone, but its really easy to get into a group (either one you don't know, or some type of community group. The GitP people have a small group here, and the penny arcade forum community also has a steam group specifically for L4D).

If you have Xbox-Live but not a decent PC: Gears of War 2. This one was a little bit more difficult for me to come up with, but I definately think a multiplayer game is best when it just comes out, thus you should experience it as soon as possible. I woulden't say L4D for the 360, as Valve games have had pretty crappy support compared to their PC counterparts in the past (TF2 anyone...), and I can't really comment on WaW, as I haven't played it yet. My only gripe with GoW2 is that right now the match making system is really borked. It either takes forever to get in a game, or you will just never get in one. But I have no doubt that this will be fixed soon enough, and the rest of the game is just so good. Horde mode and even the campain have both really blew my expectations out of the water.

If you have Xbox-Live and a decent PC: Left4Dead for the PC. For all my reasons listed above.

I woulden't really suggest Fable 2 as your only game. Don't get me wrong, its AWESOME, but in actuality the play time you can get out of Fable 2 really pales in comparison to the other games you mentioned (cept Mirrors Edge).

Also...

there's only so many nazis you can kill.

You can never kill too many nazis.

warty goblin
2008-11-19, 09:31 PM
I'm with Myatar on this one. I can see playing games like CoD or Fallout 3 on a console, but the speed and precision required in Left 4 Dead is pretty insane, way beyond anything I could imagine pulling off with any controller but a mouse. When survival depends on pulling off multiple headshots on enemies piling on so fast you can barely distinguish them, precision and speed is needed.

Plus the demo is honestly the most fun I've had in a game for quite some time. Must save up for the actual game...