PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Build Challenge Returns XI: Badass Normals

dspeyer
2008-11-18, 02:38 AM
I have a superpower: I never give up.
--Batman

RETURN OF THE GESTALT BUILD CHALLENGE XI: BADASS NORMALS

Create a character of an ordinary race with no magic who can stand proud amongst wizards and dragons. Specifically:

no spells
no psionics
no supernatural or spell-like abilities
no level adjust
no magic equipment that casts spells (no wands, no potions, no rings of fireball, but +5 armor, swords of fire and slippers of silent moves are ok)

You may take a class that has magical powers, but you do not get those powers. Taking levels in sorcerer would be foolish, but ranger might be worthwhile.

Thanks to ClericofPhwarrr for inspiring this, though I mixed together various of his ideas.

Also thanks to TVTropes for defining the concept. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadAssNormal)

"Gestalt Build Challenge" General Rules

We'll follow Duke of URL's old rules plus with a few minor changes.

For numeric attributes with progressions (such as BAB and saves) first determine at each level which progression the attribute follows, then count how many levels of each progression you have, then index into the progressions, then add them together. This means that a fighter 1 / sorceror 19 // wizard 20 has 1 level of good BAB and 19 of bad, giving +1 and +9 respectively for a total BAB of +10. Similarly, a character with 20 different marshal classes gets a base fort save of +12, not +40. It's not addressed in the gestalt or multiclassing rules, but this tends to make the most reasonable builds.

Disregard the clause about multiclassing penalties. We could never figure out how to apply it anyway.

If you are using multiple templates, you may only do so in a way which makes sense with what the template means. For example, you may only use one template that represents one parent being of a different race unless your base race is one where more-than-two parent reproduction is normal.

Well known cheese (pun-pun, omnificer, etc.) is banned.

Here are Duke of URL's old rules, for those who have forgotten them. Spoilered because they're long

Unless otherwise specified in the specific challenge, the following rules and guidelines are always in effect:
Gestalt builds; 28-point buy; use any WOTC 3.5 product (including Dragon magazine) except where noted (only 3.0 products with an official upgrade to 3.5 are allowed)
Make all builds to ECL 20. However, indicate the minimum ECL the build is playable at (the level at which all LA and/or racial HD, if applicable, are accounted for) and label any level that indicates a "power break" where the build has a significant jump in power level. Provide a detailed description of how the build operates.
Any race with a listed level adjustment is allowed (no racial progressions from Savage Species, please). LA and HD each apply to one side of the gestalt; you may include LA and HD on the same side as each other, or on other sides. No LA buyoff. LA is applied before racial HD, which must be paid off before class levels on that side. Examples: LA X / RHD Y / class Z / ... // class A / ... -OR- LA X / class Y / ... // RHD A / class B / ...
Multiclass at will, but see "voting".
Up to two flaws are allowed, but see "voting".
Templates are allowed, but see "voting".
Voting: Upon the close of entries for each challenge, members of the forum may vote in-thread for the build that best represents the goals set out by the challenge. The voting criteria should consist of: Functionality: How well does the build do in its primary role as specified in the challenge? Weaknesses: Does the build have any glaring weaknesses that can be exploited? Playability: How much of the 1-20 level range can the build be played at and be effective? Creativity: Clever use of races, classes, and/or feats that may not be "typical" choices Cheese: Minimizing the number of cheese points Using flaws (1 point each) Ignoring mutliclassing penalties -- some DMs actually do enforce this in gestalt (1 point each) Single-level dips that would require several pages of justification to RP properly (1 point each) Templates that would require several pages of justification to RP properly (1 point per +1 LA) Attempting to use more than one PrC at any given level (1 point each) Attempting to use "dual progression" PrCs (1,000,000 points each) Over-dependence on items (1 point per indispensable item) Over-dependence on Diplomacy or Use Magic Device skills (1,000,000 points each)

shadow_archmagi
2008-11-18, 05:47 AM
So, extraordinary abilities only? Swordsage bad, factotum maybe, swashbuckler good?

Siegel
2008-11-18, 11:01 AM
What about shapeshifting and incarnum ? OÄr maybe Vestiges ?

Mephit
2008-11-18, 11:25 AM
What about shapeshifting and incarnum ? OÄr maybe Vestiges ?

I think those are all Supernatural effects. (Except maybe shapeshifting)

Cybren
2008-11-18, 12:06 PM
Off the top of my head I'd go for some sort of fighter/rogue//factotum/horizon walker.

Vortling
2008-11-18, 12:13 PM
So, extraordinary abilities only? Swordsage bad, factotum maybe, swashbuckler good?

Other than his spell like abilities and the healing, factotum is all extraordinary. If you avoided the supernatural disciplines of the swordsage I could see it working well, but I'm going to wait for a ruling on martial adepts before making a prognosis one way or the other.

Eldariel
2008-11-18, 01:05 PM
This looks interesting enough for me to participate in...maybe.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-18, 01:13 PM
ToB should probably be disallowed, if only to keep in the spirit of the contest - else everyone will be Martial Adept 20//Other Stuff 20. Only half the variety...

Telonius
2008-11-18, 01:28 PM
Human
Rgr2/Ftr4/Der10/Tmp4 // Rogue19/Swashbuckler1

First side progression

Ranger 1 - Dodge (first level feat), Power Attack (Human)
Ranger 2 - Two-Weapon Fighting (Ranger combat style feat)
Rgr2/Fighter1 - Mobility (third level feat), Combat Reflexes (Fighter Feat)
Rgr2/Ftr2 - Weapon Focus (Scimitar) (Fighter Feat)
Rgr2/Ftr3
Rgr2/Ftr4 - Resounding Blow (Fighter Feat; BoED), Improved TWF (normal 6th level)
Rgr2/Ftr4/Dervish1 - Slashing Blades (Dervish); Dervish Dance 1/day, +1 to blade attacks/damage
Rgr2/Ftr4/Der2 - Fast Movement +5 (Dervish)
Rgr2/Ftr4/Der3 - Spring Attack (Dervish); Dervish Dance 2/day, +2 to blade attacks/damage during dance
Rgr2/Ftr4/Der4 - Improved Critical (normal 9th level feat)
Rgr2/Ftr4/Der4/Tempest1 - Tempest Defense +1
Rgr2/Ftr4/Der4/Tmp2 - Ambidexterity (Penalties to TWF lessened by 1); Two-Weapon Rend (normal 12th level feat; PHB2)
Rgr2/Ftr4/Der4/Tmp3 - Tempest Defense +2, Two-Weapon Versatility
Rgr2/Ftr4/Der4/Tmp4 - Ambidexterity (Penalties to TWF lessened by 1)
Rgr2/Ftr4/Der5/Tmp4 - Fast Movement +10 (Dervish), Dervish Dance 3/day, Greater TWF (normal 15th-level feat).
Rgr2/Ftr4/Der6/Tmp4 - Improved Reaction (Dervish)
Rgr2/Ftr4/Der7/Tmp4 - Elaborate Parry (Dervish), Dervish Dance 4/day
Rgr2/Ftr4/Der8/Tmp4 - Fast Movement +15 (Dervish), Leap Attack (normal 18th level; CAdv)
Rgr2/Ftr4/Der9/Tmp4 - Tireless Dance (Dervish), Dervish Dance 5/day
Rgr2/Ftr4/Der10/Tmp4 - A Thousand Cuts (Dervish)

Other side:
Rogue1/Swashbuckler1/Rogue18
Feat: Weapon Finesse from Swash.
Rogue abilities: Crippling Strike (Rogue 10), Feat (Savvy Rogue) (Rogue 13), Feat (Disemboweling Strike) (Rogue 16), Improved Evasion (Rogue 19)

Skill requirements: For Dervish, Tumble and Perform, easily obtainable with Rogue skill points. For Leap Attack: Jump, 8 ranks. For Resounding Blow, 7 ranks in Intimidate. (Note that while Resounding Blow is in Exalted Deeds, it does not require a character to be exalted. It's a general feat). All feat requirements are taken into account in the build.
Key equipment: Scimitars, Mithral Breastplate (counts as light armor).
Stats: Str 13, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10.
Bump Dex throughout. Total by 20:
Str 13, Dex 22, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10.

BAB: +20
Standard attack (not including any magic items):
20 (BAB) + 6 (Dex) + 1 (Weapon Focus) = +27
Full Attack: +27/+27/+22/+22/+17/+17/+12. Damage: d6+1, 15-20x2.
When in Dervish Dance: +32/+32/+27/+27/+22/+22/+17. Damage: d6+6, 15-20x2.
Sneak Attack: +10d6 when applicable.

AC (before magic items): 10 + 6 (Dex) + 3 (Dervish) + 2 (Tempest) = 21

(Not 100% sure on the saves, but ...)
Reflex: 11 Base + 6 (dex) + 2 (Savvy Rogue) = +19
Fort: 10 Base + 2 (con) = +12
Will: 10 Base + 0 (Wis) = +10

On one side, we have a Dervish build I came up with on the Character Builder thread. On the other, Rogue and a Swashbuckler dip for Weapon Finesse. All of the abilities are Ex, with no Su or Spell-like.

This is playable from level 1 onwards. It should be decent even at early levels, but it really kicks in at level 12 when you get Ambidexterity. You'll be doing Two-weapon attacks at almost no penalty then, and at no penalty from level 14 on. Another significant bump at level 13, when you'll be dealing strength damage to anybody you manage to sneak attack (even if they're immune to sneak attack). Your faster movement from Dervish will help you get into flanking position. Resounding Blow gives you the chance to make any enemy you critical, Cowered for a round. The large number of attacks you get (as well as the high threat range from Scimitars) increases the chance that this will happen. And when an enemy is Cowering, they lose their dex ... at which point you slice and dice with your sneak attack.

This build works for any alignment.

What do you think?

(EDIT: fixed some of the stats)

monty
2008-11-18, 03:39 PM
I think I'll modify my thrower build from a previous contest.

Venerable Kobold (because Kobolds Do It Better)
Factotum 3 / Marshal 1 / Warblade 2 / Bloodstorm Blade 4 / Master Thrower 5 / Invisible Blade 5 // Fighter 20
Starting stats: Str 6 Dex 18 Con 13 Int 16 Wis 10 Cha 16
Level 20 stats: Str 8 Dex 23 Con 15 Int 16 Wis 10 Cha 16
Power breaks: 9 (when he can actually get a decent damage output), 10, 12

{table] Level | Class 1 | Class 2 | Feat(s)/Features
1 | Factotum 1 | Fighter 1 | Dragonwrought, Weapon Finesse
2 | Factotum 2 | Kobold Fighter 2
3 | Factotum 3 | Fighter 3 | Weapon Focus (dagger)
4 | Marshal 1 | Kobold Fighter 4
5 | Warblade 1 | Fighter 5
6 | Bloodstorm Blade 1 | Fighter 6 | Ironheart Aura, Point Blank Shot
7 | Bloodstorm Blade 2 | Fighter 7
8 | Bloodstorm Blade 3 | Fighter 8 | Precise Shot, Ranged Weapon Mastery (slashing)
9 | Bloodstorm Blade 4 | Fighter 9 | Stormguard Warrior
10 | Master Thrower 1 | Fighter 10 | Far Shot, Palm Throw
11 | Master Thrower 2 | Fighter 11
12 | Master Thrower 3 | Fighter 12 | Weapon Specialization (dagger), Greater Weapon Focus (dagger), Trip Shot
13 | Master Thrower 4 | Fighter 13
14 | Master Thrower 5 | Fighter 14 | Rapid Shot, Weak Spot
15 | Invisible Blade 1 | Fighter 15 | Mage Slayer
16 | Invisible Blade 2 | Fighter 16 | Pierce Magical Protection
17 | Invisible Blade 3 | Fighter 17
18 | Invisible Blade 4 | Fighter 18 | Greater Weapon Specialization (dagger), Weapon Supremacy (dagger)
19 | Invisible Blade 5 | Fighter 19
20 | Warblade 2 | Fighter 20 | Concealed Ambush[/table]
Level 20 numbers:
HP 6d12+14d10+40
BAB +20/+15/+10/+5
Base saves: Fort +12 Ref +10 Will +8

Kill things with daggers. Really well. That's about all there is to it. Stormguard Warrior for lots of bonus damage, then unleash the fury in the second round. Alternately, trip everything and let someone else finish them off. With decent skill points and a respectable Int (and ALL skills in-class at first), he can be a good backup skillmonkey as well.

only1doug
2008-11-18, 04:07 PM
I think I'll modify my thrower build from a previous contest.

Venerable Kobold (because Kobolds Do It Better)
Factotum 3 / Marshal 1 / Warblade 2 / Bloodstorm Blade 4 / Master Thrower 5 / Invisible Blade 5 // Fighter 20
Str 6 Dex 18 Con 13 Int 16 Wis 10 Cha 16

<snip>

Not taking any of the Kobold fighter racial substitution levels?
I'd happily swap a fighter bonus feat for +2 str or con.

monty
2008-11-18, 07:13 PM
Not taking any of the Kobold fighter racial substitution levels?
I'd happily swap a fighter bonus feat for +2 str or con.

Give me a break; I wrote up that build entirely from memory and Crystal Keep. I'll check those out now.

JeminiZero
2008-11-18, 09:38 PM
Cyborg Commando
This is meant to be a wilderness skillmonkey, able to ceaselessly track its prey, and can fight reasonably well alone.

Basics
Race: Warforged or Warforged Scout
Alignment: Any

28 Point Buy
00 Str 8
10 Dex 16 +4 level up = 20
06 Con 14
06 Int 14
06 Wis 14 -2 Warforged +1 level up = 13
00 Cha 8 -2 Warforged = 6

Normal Warforged is Med size and gives +2 Con
Warforged Scout provides small size (20 ft movement speed) and +2 Dex but at -2 Str

Progression
{table=head]Level|Class 1|Class 2|Abilities
01| Scout 01| Warblade 1| Char Feat: Unarmored Body
02| Scout 02| Fighter 1 | Fighter Feat: Weapon finesse
03| Scout 03| Ranger 1 (Solitary Hunting Variant)| Char Feat: EWP-Shuriken
04| Scout 04| Fighter 2| Scout Feat: Point Blank Shot, Fighter Feat: WF-Shuriken
05| Scout 05| Warblade 2|
06| Scout 06| Warblade 3| Char Feat: Swift Hunter
07| Scout 07| Exotic Weapon Master 1| Exotic Weapon Stunt-Close Quarter Ranged Combat
08| Scout 08| Warblade 4| Scout Feat: Precise Shot
09| Scout 09| Master Thrower 1| Char Feat: Dark Stalker, Thrown Weapon Trick-Trip Shot
10| Scout 10| Master Thrower 2|
11| Scout 11| Master Thrower 3| Thrown Weapon Trick-Two with One Blow
12| Scout 12| Master Thrower 4| Char Feat: 2WF, Scout Feat: Far Shot
13| Scout 13| Master Thrower 5| Thrown Weapon Trick-Weak Spot
14| Scout 14| Warblade 5| Warblade Feat: Ironheart Aura
15| Scout 15| Warblade 6| Char Feat: I2WF
16| Scout 16| Warblade 7| Scout Feat: Ranged Skirmisher
17| Scout 17| Warblade 8|
18| Scout 18| Warblade 9| Char Feat: G2WF, Warblade Feat: Stormguard Warrior
19| Scout 19| Warblade 10|
20| Scout 20| Warblade 11| Scout Feat: Hinder
[/table]

Recommended Warblade Maneuvers & Stances
{table=head]Level|Warblade Level|Initiator Level|Maneuvers|Stances
01| Warblade 1| 1 | Sudden Leap, Wolf Fang Strike, Moment of Perfect Mind | One of Choice (possibly Hunter's Sense to help track)
05| Warblade 2| 3 | Emerald Razor
06| Warblade 3| 4 | Claw at the Moon
08| Warblade 4| 6 | Wolf Fang Strike -> Iron Heart Surge | Absolute Steel (req for IH Aura)
14| Warblade 5| 9 | Dancing Mongoose
15| Warblade 6| 10 | Emerald Razor -> Pouncing Charge
16| Warblade 7| 11 | Iron Heart Endurance
17| Warblade 8| 12 | Claw at the Moon -> Wolf Climbs the Mountain/Rabid Bear Strike
18| Warblade 9| 13 | Finishing Move
19| Warblade 10| 14 | Sudden Leap -> Hamstring Attack/Swooping Dragon Strike |Press Advantage
20| Warblade 11| 15 | Raging Mongoose
[/table]

Mechanics
-Left side of progression is the trapfinding "Skillmonkey" half. Full Scout gives 8 skill points per level (+2 Int Bonus), Camouflage/HiPS/Darkstalker, Blindsense/sight, Free movement and Speed Bonus.
-Right side is the "Warrior" half, giving full BAB, better HD and a couple of maneuvers. The Maneuver list above tries to focus on those that either trigger (Sudden Leap, Pouncing Charge, Press Advantage) or boost Skirmish Damage (Dancing/Raging Mongoose). A couple also aid survivability (Perfect Mind, IH Surge, IH Endurance). Perfect Mind in particular can help compensate for your terrible will saves.
-Ends with a powerful ranged attack (see Unlimited Shuriken Works)
-Ranger: Solitary Hunter Variant lets the ranger apply his favored enemy bonus to atack rolls, but loses his animal companion. Ranger + Swift Hunter means your Scout level effectively gives you favored enemies.
-Warforged provides a poison, disease and level drain immunity. But more importantly, allows this build to survive indefinitely without natural concerns, letting it track its prey without resting.

Break Points
Without racial HD or template LA, this is playable from level 1. Its power progresses quite steadily, but 3 notable break points occur:
09: Has Close Quarter Ranged Combat. Gains Trip Shot + Quick Draw, lets it act as basic battlefield control.
14: Gain HiPS and Dancing Mongoose
18: Gain Press Advantage to constantly trigger Skirmish

It would help immensely if you could lay your hands on items that let you trigger Skirmish at earlier levels (like Eberron Skates).

Level 20 Stats
HD: 12 + 6d8 + 3d10 + 10d12
Ave Base HP: 12 + 27 + 16.5 + 65 = 120.5
Fort: 15 Good + 5 Bad = 10 +2 Con +Scout Battle Fortitude (3)
Will: 20 Bad = 6 +1 Wis (use Perfect Mind to help compensate for this)
Reflex: 20 Good = 12 +5 Dex +Warblade Battle Clarity (2)
20 (BAB) + 5 (Dex) + 1 (Weapon Focus) = +26

Unlimited Shuriken Works
-You can replace Shuriken with any exotic throw weapon of your choosing.
-In particular, Sai counts as both a melee and a thrown weapon.
-Scout provides skirmish damage. Warblade provide Press Advantage which lets you move 10 ft as a free action 1/round to trigger skirmish damage.
-Swift Hunter lets your skirmish damage ignores the critical hit immunity of your selected favored enemies, so you want to pick those enemies that are normally critical immune. These are usually:
a. Undead
b. Constructs
c. Elementals
d. Plant
e. Ooze
-Exotic Weapon Master provides Close Quarter fighting, allowing you to make ranged attacks in melee without incurring AoOs
-Ranged Skrimisher improves the range at which you can use skirmish on ranged attacks to 60 ft.
-Thrown Weapon Master gives weak spot, which allows you to make ranged attacks as touch attacks
-Full BAB and the G2WF means this gets 7 attacks per round.
-Warblade also provides Raging and Dancing Mongeese which provide additional attacks per round.

Stack all the above together, and at level 20 you get a skirmisher, who can move 10 ft as a free action, trigger Raging mongoose as a swift action, and then throw 11 shurikens, each doing +5d6 skirmish damage that can punch through the normal critical immunity of most monsters, all as touch attacks. And he can do this anywhere within 60 ft of the enemy, even if caught in melee range. The next round he can do it again with Dancing Mongoose for 9 attacks. On the 3rd round he only has normal full attack for 7 attacks, or else he has to spend a turn to recharge warblade maneuvers.

Other Notes
-I am uncertain if double toss does skirmish damage for each toss. If it does, ditch 2 for 1 blow for double toss, and double your skirmish damage.
-Interestingly, since this challenge does not permit potions and what not, a warforged is less disadvantaged in terms of healing, since everyone else cannot heal via magic either.

Prometheus
2008-11-18, 10:07 PM
Name: Norm
Race: Human
Progression: Commoner 20 // Expert 10/Warrior 10 (alternating)

He's the best character at being normal. He is normal right from level 1 but at higher levels he really excels at mediocrity (relative to other players). Amazingly, he could even be mediocre in a world of non-gestalts!

Telonius
2008-11-19, 05:36 AM
Name: Norm
Progression: Commoner 20 // Expert 10/Warrior 10 (alternating)

He's the best character at being normal. He is normal right from level 1 but at higher levels he really excels at mediocrity (relative to other players). Amazingly, he could even be mediocre in a world of non-gestalts!

Make it an Awakened Donkey instead of a Human, give him an evil alignment, and I'd say that's perfect. :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2008-11-19, 12:28 PM
Make it an Awakened Donkey instead of a Human, give him an evil alignment, and I'd say that's perfect. :smallbiggrin:

Ah!
But talking Donkeys need magic to preform basic tasks. Namely, Talking.

Canine
2008-11-21, 07:24 AM
My gestalt build-fu is a little weak right now, but I found two prestige classes that might work out well in this Badass Normal challenge.

Survivor (Savage Species) is 5 levels, d6 HD, good save, no BAB, and gives you Improved Uncanny Dodge, Improved Evasion, and DR 5/-. This could help out the survival of the badass normal, and being gestalt, you'll still get BAB out of the other side of the build.

Iaijutsu Master (Oriental Adventures) is 10 levels, full BAB, and a bunch of EX combat abilities, including 2 katana attacks as a standard action, Weapon Finesse (Katana), Int to AC, and Cha to initiative and Iaijutsu Focus damage. It is a bit MAD, but could probably be used with a Marshal/Swashbuckler base. I feel like there is another obvious paring that I am missing, but can't figure it out.

Hopefully someone wiser than I will be inspired by one of these ideas.

Sereg
2008-11-21, 07:37 AM
Ah!
But talking Donkeys need magic to preform basic tasks. Namely, Talking.

Solved by making it an anthropomorphic donkey.

Learnedguy
2008-11-21, 07:53 AM
Extreme Explorer something.

'nuff said.

Celeres
2008-11-21, 08:47 AM
hmmm... lemme see if i can mess around with the orc build that took out the fiendworm in one turn...

(this is assuming eye of gruumsh levels stack for greater and mighty rage, mind you. if not, lemme know)

Orc:

18 str (38 after equipment, racial abilities, and level enhancements) , 16 dex (26 after equipment), 10 con, 8 int, 6 wis, 6 cha

equipment: Large +5 collision greataxe of speed, boots of striding and springing, belt of giant strength +6, gloves of Dex +6, +1 eager dagger (not used), +5 tome of strength, +4 tome of dex, +5 padded armor, headband of intellect +2

AC: 27

flaws: Shaky, Vulnerable

progression:
1st: gestalt fighter/barbarian (lion totem and whirling frenzy variants)
feats: monkey grip, shadow marches warmonger, Power attack, Improved Bullrush
2nd: gestalt fighter/barbarian
feat: weapon focus (orc double axe)
3rd: same
feat: improved initiative
4th: same
feat: weapon specialization (orc double axe)
5th: same
6th:same
feat: reckless rage, leap attack
7th: exotic weapon master (flurry of blows)
8th: eye of gruumsh
9th: eye of gruumsh
feat: melee weapon mastery - slashing
10:same
11th:same
12th:same
feat:shock trooper
13th:same
14th:same
15th:same
feat: chaos rage
16th:same
17th:same
18th: gestalt fighter/barbarian
feat: leap of the heavens
19th: gestalt fighter/barbarian:
feat: brutal throw
20th: same

skills: craft weapon smithing, jump, intimidate

the idea here is to make a character so incredibly powerful nothing survives the first turn, making sure he can hit on this turn, and doing his damndest to get the first turn. if worse comes to worst (wizard flies), he can jump and throw his weapon for one attack.

while frenzying, he gets a +16 to strength, putting it up to 54. +22 ability mod. +22 to hit, +44 to damage, +22 to jump. with his class abilities, magic weapon, etc. he gets 7 attacks in one turn.

which doing the math appear like this... (+22 str, +20 BAB, +5 magic weapon, +5 for feats, -6 for other feats and weapon abilities)) 46/46/46/46/41/36/31

jump checks: +23 ranks, +22 for str, +5 for boots of striding and springing, +5 for leap of heavens = 55. on a 5, that's 60. 15 feet in the air, minimal penalties for throwing (and it's at least 51 damage, and that's something even to a 20th level wizard)

anyway, time for melee...

+ 14 to initiative, pretty good.

you rage and charge. even the highest AC can't block this, but for safety's sake let's shock trooper out power attack damage (as high as you can).

ok, all attacks hit. let's calculate damage...

44+(BABx3 for leap attack)+5 for weapon being "+5" + 5 for collision + 1 for shadow marches warmonger + 4 for weapon specialization and mastery.

that adds up to...

3d6+119/3d6+119/" "+119/" "+119/" "+104/" "+89/" "74/.

calculating... a minimum of 763 damage. maximum of 868 damage.

i might have misread and added some things i might not have been allowed to, lemme know if i did.

dspeyer
2008-11-23, 03:52 AM
Celeres, I see we are thinking along similar lines. But I started putting mine together before you posted, so I figure I may as well go ahead with the finished one.

Classes: Barbarian 8 / Fighter 2 / Frenzied Berserker 10 // violent rogue 2 / swordsage 18
Stats: con, str > dex, int, wis > cha
Feats: power attack, cleave, great cleave, mounted combat, ride-by attack, spirited charge, destructive rage, intimidating rage, leap-attack, brutal throw, quick draw, shock trooper
Important maneuvers: Moment of Perfect Mind, Emerald Razor, Pouncing Charge, Diamond Nightmare Blade, Time Stands Still, Feral Death Blow

The concept here is an extremely damaging melee build and a decent skill-monkey besides.

For damage, we start with power attack. FB's Supreme Power Attack give x4. Leaping attack gives x3. I think these stack to get x5, though it's a little unclear. Then the base and strength damage get added, and the whole thing gets multiplied by 3 for spirited charge. Because we added first, we multiply for real, getting x15. If we add on Diamond Nightmare Blade, which is x4, it stacks with spirited charge to be x6, and gives us a total of x30. With 20 BAB to drop, this is 600 points of power attack damage per attack. Frenzy gives an extra attack at no penalty, and then Time Stands Still doubles that. There aren't many non-epic creatures with over 2400hp.

The perennial flaw of the frenzied berserker is involuntary rage. For not going into a rage, Moment of Perfect Mind allows a concentration check for a will save. This is based on con (an important stat) and ranks, which grow much faster than any save. This doesn't help with leaving rage, as concentration is impossible, but swordsage's good will progression does.

As for skills, rogue has 8 and swordsage has 6. Human gives a bonus. The need to keep the usually not useful Concentration and Jump maxed out digs into this a little, but it still leaves room for Spot, Listen, Intimidate, Survival and a bunch of small dips. Dance of the Spider also helps, eliminating the need for climb ranks.

I notice that upthread there were some suggestions that ToB was too close to magic for this. I read through the flavor sections, and it seems that magic and skill are mixed together pretty freely without explicit separation. However, each maneuver starts with a description of what the character is actually doing by invoking it, and I tried to pick only maneuvers which described mundane skill.

playswithfire
2008-11-23, 09:07 AM
Given that there's a 3.5 update for Oriental Adventures, could I use the Shiba Protector (even though it's not actually in the update; which I assume it means it comes through unedited) to get one of my favorite Ex abilities: No thought?

Trying to work out a character that only needs mental stats, specifically INT and WIS.
(probably middle age) Human
Swashbuckler 3//Factotum 3
blah blah
couple swordsage levels, original 10 level Invisible Blade, one level dip in Shiba Protector
with Intuitive Attack

Double WIS to hit; INT and WIS to damage with any light weapon
INT and WIS to AC
INT to STR and DEX check and skill checks

Still need to resolve issues with probably not very good CON, but otherwise I think it'd work