PDA

View Full Version : Durkon in Warcraft?

yinkendra
2008-11-18, 05:00 AM
I was playing the new Warcraft expansion, and I stumbled across an NPC named "Durkon", he's a dwarf clad in a full set of plate armor, somewhat resembling a DnD cleric.

The could very well be a coincidence, but the fact is. The quest-chain that he is included in, involves searching for a lost Phylactery, which you are gonna use to destroy a Lich.

http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=27318

Wikimaster
2008-11-18, 05:54 AM
No, I don't think so. The NPC you mention has white hair, while Durkon has brown. He's also a bit stouter.

Athaniar
2008-11-18, 06:30 AM
Nah, I think it's too much to be a coincidence. How common name is Durkon for a dwarf, anyway? In my opinion, this is a reference.

Also, stouter? Dwarves only come in one size in WoW.

CaptainIreland
2008-11-18, 10:25 AM
Blizzard does that a LOT with Warcraft, dropping in references to other fantasy stories.

Looks like someone on the staff is a Stick fan.

FujinAkari
2008-11-18, 12:35 PM
Coincidence.

I did the same quest, but the hair is all wrong, and Durkon doesn't talk like Durkon. If you did the "Its a secret to everyone" questline... its pretty obvious when Blizz spoofs something.

Linkavitch
2008-11-18, 12:46 PM
I don't play WoW, but it does sound like just a coincidence to me...

Teatime
2008-11-18, 01:31 PM
I just did a search of Wowhead, and there were characters named "Big Roy" and "Haley Copperton" also introduced into Northrend. Possibly still a coincidence, but interesting.

Also, thought this was a parody of the "Durkon in Warhammer?" thread from a few weeks back...

tenguro
2008-11-18, 01:46 PM
Sadly, I'm horde....so I won't be able to do the quest line. Sounds like a Coincidence, but then again, Blizz (as mentioned before) Drops in a lot of Real world references, so there is a big possibility that it is a OoTS reference.

CaptainIreland
2008-11-18, 01:47 PM
I just did a search of Wowhead, and there were characters named "Big Roy" and "Haley Copperton" also introduced into Northrend. Possibly still a coincidence, but interesting.

Three characters with Stick names simultaneously introduced into a fantasy game known to put easter eggs everywhere (not to mention at least one involved in a plot connected to the comic's)?

I don't see how anyone could say this is a coincidence. Nice job, Blizzard.

Tre of the Wood
2008-11-18, 08:49 PM
On the page that is linked on the first post, his description actually says that he is Durkon from the order of the stick.

newcresty
2008-11-18, 08:53 PM
so, if I post on the comment that is Durkon, the evil drunken dwarf from Dracula (there isn't any Durkon on Dracula novel...), is he indeed?

Kranden
2008-11-19, 12:10 AM
Some dev probably thought it would be fun to name a NPC after a character from his favorite comic. I cant say for sure its him but I can say that I bet at least a few of the developers have to have read this comic to say the least. Also there are a lot of NPC's that are cultural references.

Wikimaster
2008-11-19, 06:29 AM
Nah, I think it's too much to be a coincidence. How common name is Durkon for a dwarf, anyway? In my opinion, this is a reference.

Also, stouter? Dwarves only come in one size in WoW.

My Bad. Must have been the Plate armour. Also, I'm sure that "Durkon" would be an ovious name for a Dwarf, if only because of it's sound. So no, I don't belive that's Durkon at all. Perhaps if he had a hammer...

PS: Like your work on WoWwiki. Hope you have a good Internet day!

CaptainIreland
2008-11-19, 10:46 AM
My Bad. Must have been the Plate armour. Also, I'm sure that "Durkon" would be an ovious name for a Dwarf, if only because of it's sound. So no, I don't belive that's Durkon at all. Perhaps if he had a hammer...

Durkon is an obvious name? Ok.....

What about Roy and Haley also having characters? That doesn't make it less of a coincidence but a hammer would change everything? (Not to mention the screenshot isn't of him in battle, and most of NPCs in Warcraft don't show weapons unless they're attacked.)

Fawkes
2008-11-19, 01:44 PM
This (http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=24785) is Big Roy, and this (http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=28797) is Haley. Not exactly a huge resemblance.

TheNovak
2008-11-19, 04:00 PM
Just because the NPC doesn't actually look like Durkon doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a reference. It'd have more credibility if the dwarf in question was bald with darker skin, but the whole setup with finding a phylactery and everything makes it sound like one of the programmers decided to just have a little fun and see if anyone noticed. WoW has plenty of subtle, semi-Easter Eggs.

amuletts
2008-11-19, 04:08 PM
No, it doesn't look much like Durkon from OOTS at all! That said I wouldn't be surprised if the person who made this read OOTS.

Kish
2008-11-19, 06:54 PM
Given that Roy in WoW could easily be human and isn't, and that Haley also isn't human...or named Starshine...and given that those are both known names in the real world, I think those two are probably coincidences.

However, given that Cavalier Durkon could be any race but a dwarf and is a dwarf, and given that the name "Durkon" never appeared in any baby-names book I've ever seen, I'm surprised anyone would seriously suggest that one's a coincidence.

Kranden
2008-11-19, 07:12 PM
I think it had to go something like this

Leaddev: OK ladies we need names for our 500 NPCs out there in Northrend.
first up dwarf #53
Juniordev:(I will suggest the name of a favorite comic of mine and they will all praise me for my brilliant refrence!)
How about Durkon?
Leaddev: that names terrible but its better than bob, ok Next npc!
Juniordev:DAMMIT!

omgpeachsnapple
2008-11-19, 07:22 PM
The fact that he's a dwarf named Durkon isn't exactly the most convincing argument. Maybe if he resembled him in any way, as far as appearance/clothing. Most of the time, they make their easter eggs way more obvious.

Wikimaster
2008-11-20, 06:14 AM
Durkon is an obvious name? Ok.....

Ok, that came out the wrong way. It's just that Durkon woudn't sound out of place in a list of Dwarven names. I mean, when I hear the word 'Durkon', I'd immediately think 'Dwarf', even if I got struck by a big rock and forget about Oots. Anyway, it woudn't be a good easter egg if they used only the name, and made the character entirely different(the full head of hair alone should be a disqualification). Sorry.

The Linker
2008-11-20, 12:22 PM
I think this is entirely reasonable as an easter egg. The combination of the name AND the similar plotline is too much, I think. And Blizzard puts SO many references in...

Some character differences are to expected. They're not taking the character from the comic, they're making a reference to him. Sure, he looks different, but consider some other references. Haris Pilton is a Blood Elf. Linken is a gnome. Hemet Nesingwary is a dwarf! Durkon's actually the same race as the source. AND his quest is extremely similar to happenings in OOTS, without going overboard and doing something that feels really out of place in Warcraft, like falling off a tower and only surviving by landing on a squishy monster. :smalltongue:

Yeah, some of the other references are much more obvious, but remember that the game isn't done by any one entity. I'm sure dozens of people design the quests, and dozens of other people design the NPCs. This Durkon might have been designed by someone who doesn't like his references to be too obvious, or maybe he was shy about it. Who knows? :smalltongue:

CaptainIreland
2008-11-21, 01:05 AM
It's just that Durkon woudn't sound out of place in a list of Dwarven names. I mean, when I hear the word 'Durkon', I'd immediately think 'Dwarf', even if I got struck by a big rock and forget about Oots.

That's different then, and makes more sense than what you originally said.

Anyway, it woudn't be a good easter egg if they used only the name, and made the character entirely different(the full head of hair alone should be a disqualification). Sorry.

No need to be sorry for your opinion that it's a weak Easter Egg. However, the likelihood of it being an accident (see above for other joke names and names alone) is so remote that it is foolish to not suspect a programmer of sneaking it in for fun.

Wikimaster
2008-11-21, 06:06 AM
Thank you, Captain Ireland, although I haven't conceded yet(White hair? not convincing). By the way, have you read the 'Durkon in Warhammer' thread yet? You might be able to shed some light on that subject.

Edit: moved the link here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95589

Querzis
2008-11-21, 06:23 AM
Thank you, Captain Ireland, although I haven't conceded yet(White hair? not convincing).

Take a look at linken:

http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=8737

He doesnt look anything like Link. But with his clothe and the gears he give you, hes still an obvious reference. Of course they dont look the same, they are making a reference, they arent copying him. I mean his name is Durkon and his quest is to send you find a lich phylactary, you really dont need anything else.

I mean, just take a look at some of the reference you can find in WoW:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/10878
http://www.wowwiki.com/List_of_pop_culture_references_in_Warcraft

And keep in mind that this is not all of them. Their appearance doesnt matter, just the name and the quest. Blizz are notorious for their many reference and they did reference much less obvious then that one (like the number 10 on the first site) as well as for some stuff much more obscure then OOTS.

Athaniar
2008-11-21, 06:27 AM
WoW references aren't meant to be all that obvious, mostly just, as is probable in this case, a name and a race. And the pop culture references in WoW are indeed very many from a multitude of different more and less obscure sources.

And thanks for the compliment, Wikimaster.

Sylphy
2008-11-21, 09:51 AM
The fact that he's a dwarf named Durkon isn't exactly the most convincing argument. Maybe if he resembled him in any way, as far as appearance/clothing. Most of the time, they make their easter eggs way more obvious.

Such as the Big Lebonski quests line with Lebonski, Walt, and Stanward.

'You're our of your element!'

Hydro Globus
2008-11-21, 09:58 AM
I'm pretty sure it is a reference to something - in WoW, clerics don't use metal armor. No, not even dwarves. But to be OOTS?

SureWhyNot?

The Linker
2008-11-21, 10:06 AM
I'm pretty sure it is a reference to something - in WoW, clerics don't use metal armor. No, not even dwarves.

I'm not sure what you mean here. There are no clerics in WoW. :smallconfused: I think the closest thing may be the Paladin class, which does use metal armor. I'd say they're closer to a Paladin than a Priest, at any rate, but maybe not.

Hydro Globus
2008-11-21, 10:11 AM
I meant priests then. In Hungarian these words are quite freely interchangable and I still can't get the difference in English. Sorry :(

The Linker
2008-11-21, 10:27 AM
Heh, my stepdad keeps calling Priests or Paladins 'Clerics' too, and he's doesn't have the valid excuse of English not being his native language. :smallbiggrin: He also calls Rogue 'Thiefs' and Warriors 'Fighters.' He just gets WoW mixed up with D&D a bit. :smalltongue:

FatJose
2008-11-21, 10:27 AM
The two engineers that were references to Star Trek didn't looks like their source material or even had the exact names. Jordie Laforge and Scotty weren't goblins. People still got the reference. Here we have a dwarf named Durkon who has a Lich slaying quest. Gray hair aside, I think that's a pretty solid reference for anyone who recognises the character.

omgpeachsnapple
2008-11-21, 12:45 PM
Such as the Big Lebonski quests line with Lebonski, Walt, and Stanward.

'You're our of your element!'

Lol exactly. Or Harris Pilton in Shattrath. Or Nessie, or "The Lost Vikings" and the Indiana Jones room in Uldaman.

I just think a lot more effort would have gone into making him appear more like OOTS's Durkon if that's what Blizzard intended.

Querzis
2008-11-21, 07:04 PM
Lol exactly. Or Harris Pilton in Shattrath. Or Nessie, or "The Lost Vikings" and the Indiana Jones room in Uldaman.

I just think a lot more effort would have gone into making him appear more like OOTS's Durkon if that's what Blizzard intended.

Did anyone read the page I linked? Apparently you just saw the most obvious reference but Blizzard had done reference a lot less obvious and a lot more obscure then that! Most of the time, the reference are just names and their races or their appearance got nothing to do with it. Here we got a dwarf named Durkon who send you on a quest to kill a lich! Its honestly one of the most obvious reference I saw really.

Seriously, just freaking read this:

http://www.wowwiki.com/List_of_pop_culture_references_in_Warcraft

Durkon is one of the most obvious one out there. Most character being referenced arent even the same race as the original character, at least Durkon is a dwarf.

Wikimaster
2008-11-22, 05:24 AM
I've read the article, and I say this: I concede, If only out of respect for the great WowWwiki. Now, can you give us the official list to still the others?