PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Would adding the Elemental Plane of Candy to my cosmology be too much...

newbDM
2008-11-18, 07:34 AM
So I was reading through the final book in the Portable Hole Full of Beer series, Bride of Portable Hole (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=2544&it=1) (available for free from RPGnow.com. I highly recommend it!), which is a book I am quickly falling in love with. I just came across the Elemental Plane of Candy, detailed down to the dwarf community who mines the stuff to ship to other planes and their local planeshifting dentist, and I instantly wanted to add it to my cosmology sheet. However, I fear I might be finally going too far.

Sure, as some of you may have seen, my games are more light-hearted and fun oriented. Heck, I am stating out Rita Repulsa and her goons as a major power in my solar system, and am making my homeworld's terrasque enhanced to human intelligence with a British accent and perhaps even a top-hat and monocle. I have even added the Demiplane of Ale from the first Portable Hole book (much to a dwarf PC's/player's delight), and I am working on a mushroom house at D&D scale with Reaper Minis mushroom people miniatures. But I fear that this one might take away any shred of seriousness and respect players would have for me and my homebrewed setting/multiverse (or whatever bit is left...).

What do you all think?

Would you think any less of a DM for basically adding Candy Land into the D&D cosmology?

Adumbration
2008-11-18, 08:03 AM
I think it would be pretty sweet.

WhiteShark
2008-11-18, 08:05 AM
I think it would be pretty sweet.

Pun intended?

Anyway, if you already have Rita Repulsa and a British Tarrasque, I would guess that you didn't have any seriousness in the game to begin with. :smallwink:

Kaiyanwang
2008-11-18, 08:42 AM
It worths only if you fill it with candy creatures.. Candy Elementals, Swarms of Candies, Golems of Caramel, and so on...

Sereg
2008-11-18, 09:24 AM
I agree with the others though you might want to make it a demiplane to prevent candy form being considered an element and the possabilaty of spells like "candyball".

arguskos
2008-11-18, 09:34 AM
As a note, I can see a plane of alcohol, Rita Repulsa, and even an awakened Tarrasque in a semi-serious light... but the Elemental Plane of CANDY?? I mean, I know that I wouldn't be able to treat the game with any seriousness at all, which would ruin the fun for me. However, that's just me.

If you wanted to introduce some strange new demiplane/candy-based-magic, that'd be awesomely cool... but Candy as a fundamental part of the universe... yeaaaaaah, I'm just not feeling it.

Of course, if your players think that seriousness is for squares, and they want licorice-magic, then damn, go for it!

bosssmiley
2008-11-18, 10:17 AM
You nutter newbDM. Any fule kno that candy isn't an element, it's a [type]. :smallamused:

Caramel, on the other hand, is an element (the quasi-plane of Caramel is created by that action of the Positive Energy Plane on the sugar groves of the Elemental Plane of Wood). It is the stickiest and most delicious of all the planes, and is the home of the much sought-after Caramephit.

mostlyharmful
2008-11-18, 10:27 AM
I agree with the others though you might want to make it a demiplane to prevent candy form being considered an element and the possabilaty of spells like "candyball".

You say it like it's a bad thing... :smallconfused: "Candyball to the FACE!!!!!"
he he he he he!

i wan to play. i want to be assualted by the evil villinous marshmellow man and argue ettiquette with the rampaging polite tarrarasque. Sounds great fun.:smallsmile:

Dentarthur
2008-11-18, 10:48 AM
Damn the naysayers. Elemental candy is full of win, and I sincerely hope the party wizard picks up Candyball, Ray of Candy, or heck, Energy Substitution [candy]. I also propose throwing in an opposing Elemental Plane of Brussels Sprouts.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-18, 11:16 AM
Damn the naysayers. Elemental candy is full of win, and I sincerely hope the party wizard picks up Candyball, Ray of Candy, or heck, Energy Substitution [candy]. I also propose throwing in an opposing Elemental Plane of Brussels Sprouts.

Tasty: +1 enchancement that makes you deal on a successful hit +1d6 candy damage.

I'd buy it.
You could invent a 2nd level spell: Resist Candy: Gives Candy resistance of 10 (same progression as Resist energy) as well as allowing you to not crave candy for duration.

Devils_Advocate
2008-11-18, 11:47 AM
As I believe I've mentioned before, this sort of thing is technically not an elemental plane, but a kindaelemental plane. :smalltongue: (Y'know, like quasielemental or paraelemental, but with a less formal name because it's silly. Get it? Fine, I'll shut up.)

Anyway, you can still tell serious stories in a fundamentally absurd setting. You can even do a gritty deconstruction of the setting that explores all sorts of depressingly negative consequences of living in an ultimately incomprehensible universe: Crises keep cropping up seemingly out of nowhere, and things go very badly for very many people if they aren't managed well. (But opportunities to do great good keep showing up, too, so with hard work you can earn a happy ending (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EarnYourHappyEnding).)

Roderick_BR
2008-11-18, 11:55 AM
Would you think any less of a DM for basically adding Candy Land into the D&D cosmology?
Think any less? Heck, I want to add it to my games :smallbiggrin: I know some players that'll LOVE it :smallamused:
Now I have an excuse to use candy-powered golens! Thanks for the link!

Winter_Wolf
2008-11-18, 12:03 PM
How disturbing to be eaten by a caramel ooze. Battered by a rock candy golem. Maybe it's the long lost home plane of the gelatinous cube? Imagine seeing such famous sights as the gingerbread palace, or the Great Chocolate Wall.

Yeah, you could make that work.

hamishspence
2008-11-18, 01:00 PM
well, Munchkin did have gummi golems. in a tougue in cheek game, could be fun.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-18, 01:20 PM
As I believe I've mentioned before, this sort of thing is technically not an elemental plane, but a kindaelemental plane. :smalltongue: (Y'know, like quasielemental or paraelemental, but with a less formal name because it's silly. Get it? Fine, I'll shut up.)

You want formal?
Plane of m-Formyl methanol. Start Codon powers activate! Replication begin.
(I had a Genetics test today as you can see).

skywalker
2008-11-18, 01:32 PM
Tasty: +1 enchancement that makes you deal on a successful hit +1d6 candy damage.

I'd buy it.
You could invent a 2nd level spell: Resist Candy: Gives Candy resistance of 10 (same progression as Resist energy) as well as allowing you to not crave candy for duration.

WTF is "candy damage," tho?

Anyway, I think that's an awesome idea.

Personally, a guy I game with(who supplies all the minis) has some "Monsterpocalypse" minis, the "powered up" versions of which look like candy. Those would make great "candy[type]" monsters.

What about an elemental plane of pancakes? Every time I hear the word candy, I think of Stewie Griffin, and every time I think of Stewie, I think of pancakes...

Glyde
2008-11-18, 01:35 PM
I remember a while ago reading about the stats of a gingerbread golem - Anyone remember what it's from?

Telonius
2008-11-18, 02:12 PM
I'll approve, but only if it's ruled by Queen Frostine.

hamishspence
2008-11-18, 02:16 PM
a hook handed villain made of chocolate, who appears if you say his name five times- Candyman! :smallbiggrin:

TempusCCK
2008-11-18, 02:26 PM
A long long time ago I had an entire Plane of Pudding made up and posted here on the forums. Pudding is delicious.

hamishspence
2008-11-18, 02:30 PM
Black Pudding might be delicious but not very safe to eat- especially when its crawling after you.

PurinaDragonCho
2008-11-18, 02:41 PM
You need an army of militant gnomes known as the Lollipop Guild. They wield +1 lollipops that are so sticky, they can disarm characters like kou toa slime does.

Devils_Advocate
2008-11-18, 02:44 PM
The subject is partially transmuted into delicious confection.

Obviously. Sheesh, we shouldn't have to explain such elementary concepts. :smalltongue:

JadedDM
2008-11-18, 03:02 PM
Hey, if there can be a dimension of nothing but shrimp, why not candy?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-18, 03:07 PM
Still not as cool as the Elemental Plane of Dairy.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-18, 03:08 PM
Still not as cool as the Elemental Plane of Dairy.

What if your character is lactose intolerant?

Istari
2008-11-18, 03:27 PM
Plane of candy is made of win

Coidzor
2008-11-18, 03:38 PM
You'll have to figure out a way to give either a disease or status ailment or curse for diabetes though from taking too much candy/sugar damage, making one even more vulnerable to the stuff...

Obviously. Sheesh, we shouldn't have to explain such elementary concepts. :smalltongue:

Nah, that'd be a transmutation spell "Flesh to Candy"

And then there could be "Candyskin" or some kind of "Instill Candy" to bring forth the latent essence of candy within a creature. "Inflict Serious Diabetes" or something like that... maybe with a minor, criticual, sorta thing for how severely the candy will hurt.

Ascension
2008-11-18, 03:40 PM

No, no, candy damage causes you to develop cavities on contact. Candified swords are the real reason high-level Barbarians have no teeth.

Prometheus
2008-11-18, 04:22 PM
I had an extraplanar merchant who would sell magical food of any and every variety, so I happen to be familiar with some of the better things that these boards have to offer in terms of candy-monsters:
-Rich Burlew's Gingerbread Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/Cc85LTNvTgOuH1xTRjz.html)
-Maerok's Chocolate Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46749&highlight=chocolate+golem)
-Danu's Mint and Cherry Candy Oozes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41639&highlight=candy+ooze)

Oh, and if you have trouble justifying it, just say it is a satellite somewhere around a chaotic plane (such as Limbo) and therefore it doesn't have to make much sense.

hamishspence
2008-11-18, 04:26 PM
A layer of the Abyss- where gluttons get an ironic comeuppance?

"In Soviet Russia, Candy eats You!"

celestialkin
2008-11-18, 04:32 PM

Anyone got any serious (or at least somewhat serious) ideas for how to make Candy Damage an official element damage in a game?

For a great example: How would you add it the list of energy damage types to psionic powers like Energy Wall (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyWall.htm), or Energy Missle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyMissile.htm)?

How disturbing to be eaten by a caramel ooze. Battered by a rock candy golem. Maybe it's the long lost home plane of the gelatinous cube? Imagine seeing such famous sights as the gingerbread palace, or the Great Chocolate Wall.

Yeah, you could make that work.

But, who/what would be eating/dissolving who?

Starbuck_II
2008-11-18, 04:59 PM
You'll have to figure out a way to give either a disease or status ailment or curse for diabetes though from taking too much candy/sugar damage, making one even more vulnerable to the stuff...

Nah, that'd be a transmutation spell "Flesh to Candy"

And then there could be "Candyskin" or some kind of "Instill Candy" to bring forth the latent essence of candy within a creature. "Inflict Serious Diabetes" or something like that... maybe with a minor, criticual, sorta thing for how severely the candy will hurt.

So similar to inflict damage:
1) Inflict minor Diabetes: deals 1 candy damage
2) Inflict light Disabetes: Deals 1d8+1/level (max 5) candy damage
etc?

I'm glad that my Candy damage idea is catching on.

mostlyharmful
2008-11-18, 05:59 PM
If we sub in metabolic problems then sudden influxes of a substance (we may as well label it candy here) could be said to damage the internal organs and divert the systems resources, for this actually the hp system would make the most sense in a modeling real life way. Say we call poisons that do hp damage "candy" damage in much the way that ADHD kids get mucked up by it or that dentists profit by it.... actually now I want to run a dentist BBEG. I even have his theme tune from a certain exemplary musical....

Hal
2008-11-18, 06:55 PM

I've never heard of anyone playing a fat wizard, so this spell clearly already exists in every setting.

But yeah, this plane should be mined by gnomes and halflings, not dwarves.

Kris Strife
2008-11-18, 07:20 PM
It was origionally created by an elf artificer who wanted to be a dentist, but had his dreams crushed. He planned to use it to give the entire world toothaches before being talked out of his plan by an Awakened flying reindeer who could project a cone of light from his nose

Prometheus
2008-11-18, 09:49 PM
If we sub in metabolic problems then sudden influxes of a substance (we may as well label it candy here) could be said to damage the internal organs and divert the systems resources, for this actually the hp system would make the most sense in a modeling real life way. Say we call poisons that do hp damage "candy" damage in much the way that ADHD kids get mucked up by it or that dentists profit by it.... actually now I want to run a dentist BBEG. I even have his theme tune from a certain exemplary musical....
There is at least one person who would be incredibly disappointed. (http://www.giantitp.com/Images/ElanMagnet.gif)

Sereg
2008-11-18, 10:15 PM
These are actually pretty good ideas. Look, I personaly don't mind the ridiculous (I liked Draco dei's acid classes so much I made some of my own), I'm happy to incorporate the riuculous into my games (my campaign setting has a kingdom cursed to be eternally covered in dung), I'm even happy to play in games based on the ridiculous, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into in the first place. It could be fun to have a setting where the best armour is made of blue cheese, all monarchs are budgies and the gods are puppets but if you're prepared for a heroic game it can be disconcerting. If your players are happy with it go ahead. I personally can see candy magic and a demiplane of candy but makeing it an element means it's as fundamental a part of your world as fire, earth, water and air, or at least magma, cold, smoke, ooze, vapour, lightning, radiance, minerals, dust, ash, salt and vacuum which challenges the assumptions of a typical setting.

newbDM
2008-11-18, 11:32 PM
Wow. I am surprised at how this thread took off, and that so many people actually liked this idea.

And there are so many great ideas and suggestion here, which I will need to carefully go over in the morning.

Please, if you can/want to refine your ideas posted here, or suggest new ones for all this, please visit the thread I made for this in the Homebrew board.

*Linkie to thread* (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5319446#post5319446)

Enlong
2008-11-19, 01:26 AM

No, they raise your BLOOD SUGAR (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=4&p=001274) level, exposing you to more traditional forms of damage (or more candy damage).

someone needs to stat out a Chocolate or Molasses Golem. Maybe some more spells, like: Animate Licorice, or Conjure Candy Armor (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=4&p=001097).

BobVosh
2008-11-19, 02:24 AM
Wizards, once again, come out ahead.

Mordenkainen Magnificent Gingerbread Mansion.

Can't even trust wizards with candy, I mean almost nothing has resistance candy. Except Green Hags, who consider the elemental plane of cough drops to be candy.

Kaiyanwang
2008-11-19, 03:40 AM
Sweer Candybear [Metamagic]

Prerequisite: Spellcraft 4, Profession (cook) 4

You can substitute the energy of any spell with Candy damage. For example,
a fireball of a 10th level Wizard would do 10d6 Candy damage in the radius, spreading candies and jelly all around.

This can lead to a whole feat tier:

Honey-bun:

Prerequisite: Spellcraft 8, Sweet Candybear

Benefit: you can add honey to a spell modified with the Sweet Candybear feat. Any creature under the effect of the spell must save CD 10 + spell level or be entangled by the honey for 1 round.

maniakmastah
2008-12-07, 06:42 PM
Have you also thought about putting an NPC character who basically terrorizes the Candy Plane as well as the Material Plane. Here's my idea

The PCs get requested to put a mad Artificer who only goes by the name of Willy Wonka, who with his terror machines and race of enslaved island gnomes from Oompah, leads raids on the Elemental Plane of Candy for both his own sugar crazed addiction, using enslaved candy creatures for assaults on some random village, and anything else you desire.

This is just my idea.

dspeyer
2008-12-07, 09:24 PM
Candy Elemental
Tiny - Huge Elemental
HD: (2^size)d8 (i.e. 1 for tiny, 2 for small, 4 for medium...)
Elemental traits
Vulnerability to fire (see white dragon)
Usually neutral
Temptation: As a standard action, a candy elemental may look very tasty. All living, corporeal creatures within thirty feet must make a will save (dc 15+cha) or attempt to bite the elemental. The negative effects of succeeding vary by subtype, but the bite deals damage as normal. A candy elemental trying this tactic against a colossal dragon would quickly regret it, but they are rarely that foolish.
Level adjust: -

Hard Candy Elemental
Candy Elemental traits
Stats: STR: 6+hd DEX: 6 CON: 10+hd/2 INT: 4 WIS: 8 CHA: 14
Resistance 15 to piercing, slashing and bludgeoning.
Solubility: Water damages hard candy elementals as if it were acid.
Extraordinary Hardness: Any weapon which strikes a hard candy elemental takes half the damage dealt (before resistance) as damage to itself. Magic weapons can be sundered this way if the total enchantment bonus is strictly less than the size category of the elemental (i.e. a tiny elemental can only sunder mundane weapons, a small elemental +1, etc.). Damage to natural weapons and unarmed strikes is treated as damage to the attacking creature.

Caramel Elemental
Candy Elemental traits
Stats: STR: 6+HD/2 DEX: 10+HD CON: 12 INT: 4 WIS: 8 CHA: 14+HD/2
Immunity to piercing and critical hits
Shapeshift: A caramel elemental can form itself into a copy of any creature of equal size, but sometimes gives itself away with a general goopiness, and cannot convincingly act like a creature much smarter than it is. Caramel elementals gain a +8 bonus to disguise checks when shapeshifted.
Sticky: Anything that strikes a caramel elemental (including weapons and body parts) cannot be removed unless the elemental allows it, or by a dc 25 strength check (grease on the object decreases this dc to 10). Anything so stuck cannot be used effectively (e.g. weapons cannot be attacked with, mouths cannot be spoken with).

Deth Muncher
2008-12-07, 09:32 PM
You say it like it's a bad thing... :smallconfused: "Candyball to the FACE!!!!!"
he he he he he!

But wait. Wouldn't that then be a jawbreaker?

newbDM
2008-12-09, 02:11 PM
But wait. Wouldn't that then be a jawbreaker?

Candy slings ammunition? Possibly with the candy property (still trying to figure out what that is)?

Or possibly candy ammunition with the candy property for catapults and such? I am starting to get a very fun idea for a scene/encounter where gingerbread men are protecting a gingerbread castle with the help of the PCs as a possible first big conflict for my games (anyone got an idea what they are protecting the delicious castle from?). :smallbiggrin:

newbDM
2008-12-09, 02:23 PM
And thank you all for the great amount of help with this so far. It has been extremely appreciated by me.

My campaign came to a sudden stop because of a player just before I was going to start implementing the option (I run a sandbox style game world) where they would have been able to get to this plane (I was going to steer things towards this a little, though. :smallbiggrin:). So I put it on hold for a bit, but now that I am talking with a local gaming store manager about running a new game there I am very interested in continuing this.

ericgrau
2008-12-09, 04:08 PM
I don't think adding candy damage is the way. Too much monster revision involved, what with resistances and all, as well as technical explanations. Instead...:

Candyball (level 3, maybe 4): A 2 foot diameter jawbreaker deals 2d6 bludgeoning damage to 1 target, then shatters in a 20 foot burst for 6d6 piercing (whether it hits target or not), leaving 150 lbs. of candy fragments on the ground. Touch attack to hit target and if hit the target gets no save against the burst damage. Material component: a round gem or precious stone worth at least 25gp (or some amount more than the value of the candy).

Ray of Candy (level 2): A single continuous stick of sharpened peppermint springs from your out-stretched finger, dealing 4d6 piercing damage. Targets regular AC not touch AC. You get more rays at higher levels. Material component and candy produced are similar to first spell (but different candy weight, gem, etc.).

Wall of candy (level 4): per wall of stone, but higher thickness, lower HP, slightly lower hardness. Bonds to any rough surface, including both stone and candy. Vulnerable to fire. Water will dissolve over time.

Resist Candy (level 2): A barely visible shield of shimmering flouride forms around you, providing an effective barrier against all incoming candy and sugar attacks. Your teeth are also safe against decay for the duration of the spell, and you feel no sugar cravings. The shield itself typically causes no damage to creatures, but a creature intentionally inhaling its contents or pinned in a grapple and forced to inhale the contents or remaining in contact with the shield for more than an hour must make a fortitude save or become nauseated. The shield absorbs up to 100 points of candy-caused damage and then dissipates.