PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Changeling Factotum

Canine
2008-11-18, 07:53 AM
I wanted to get some opinions on a character concept, the Changeling with Multiple Personality Disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_personality_disorder). My thinking has brought up two obvious paths, Factotum 20 and Factotum 5/Chameleon 10/{stuff} 5.

The Factotum 20 build would be indicative of a character with a variety of personalities struggling for control constantly. I'm not sure if my GM will accept Font of Inspiration, so for whatever power I need, I would probably have to select good spells. The group power level isn't high, so I believe Truestrike or Wraithstrike with Power Attack 1/day, Shivering Touch, Animate Dead w/no material component, etc. should keep me productive in combat.

The Factotum/Chameleon build would be a situation where one personality becomes dominant during the day, with brief glimpses of other personalities showing through. This give access to a broader spell base (and access to divine spells), though no higher level spells. With Chameleon divine casting and Factotum Turning, I believe it also opens up DMM cheese (eventually, taking some thematic feats first), so that should provide sufficient firepower for what I need to do.

I think that both concepts are flavorful and would probably let me contribute to the group, so I was hoping for opinions, small (or large) details that I might have missed, further inspiration, etc. Any input is appreciated.

BobVosh
2008-11-18, 07:57 AM
Changeling/Factotum/Chamelon is one of the most fun builds, and fairly solid in terms of optimizations

monty
2008-11-18, 12:53 PM
Factotum doesn't qualify for divine feats, because they don't actually have "Turn or Rebuke Undead." They have a similar ability, but it doesn't count.

Canine
2008-11-18, 01:15 PM
Good point, and the Chameleon ability explicitly can't be used to qualify. Oh well.

Zeful
2008-11-18, 01:18 PM
I wanted to get some opinions on a character concept, the Changeling with Multiple Personality Disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_personality_disorder). My thinking has brought up two obvious paths, Factotum 20 and Factotum 5/Chameleon 10/{stuff} 5.

The Factotum 20 build would be indicative of a character with a variety of personalities struggling for control constantly. I'm not sure if my GM will accept Font of Inspiration, so for whatever power I need, I would probably have to select good spells. The group power level isn't high, so I believe Truestrike or Wraithstrike with Power Attack 1/day, Shivering Touch, Animate Dead w/no material component, etc. should keep me productive in combat.

The Factotum/Chameleon build would be a situation where one personality becomes dominant during the day, with brief glimpses of other personalities showing through. This give access to a broader spell base (and access to divine spells), though no higher level spells. With Chameleon divine casting and Factotum Turning, I believe it also opens up DMM cheese (eventually, taking some thematic feats first), so that should provide sufficient firepower for what I need to do.

I think that both concepts are flavorful and would probably let me contribute to the group, so I was hoping for opinions, small (or large) details that I might have missed, further inspiration, etc. Any input is appreciated.

Aparently taking your first level in the Changling Rouge substitution levels give you more skill points to play with. (12+int)x4 or something.

As for the multiple personality things you could always make the seperate personalities using the Intelligent magic item system (namely the Ego portion). Whenever Something Important happens, roll to see if a personality takes over or something.

Madmal
2008-11-18, 01:20 PM
Heh, that's one of my mental projects right there. (that is, thing hardly even gotten on paper.), in my case i got the inspiration from Killer7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer7), where some personalities would be important persons in its life (mentors, friends, etc) that suffered a horrible fate, and influenced so much in that person, they kinda "leave a mark" on its psyche, some very deep ones. (mind you, this is all me, i've yet to finish the game, and it's an utter Mind Screw (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MindScrew))

what's so bad about going Factotum 10/Chameleon? iirc, there are some milestones to achieve in this class (8 and 11, methinks), also keep in mind that some bonuses depend on your factotum level, or your Int modifier.

Google "Factotum handbook", i believe there is a article on the WoTC boards about optimization of the factotum.

Canine
2008-11-18, 01:43 PM
Malmagor: Factotum 10/Chameleon 10 is certainly an option, I was just wondering if there was another thematic choice to mix in there that I had missed. I do need to remember to look at the Factotum Handbook at home; I try to waste time at work tweaking character concepts, but stupid firewalls keep the wizard's sites at bay.

Zeful: The intelligent item Ego idea is certainly an interesting one, I will have to look over those rules. And the Rogue substitution level would give 10+Int skill points, still very useful.

Thanks for the input all!

NeoVid
2008-11-18, 02:40 PM
Factotum11/Cham9 might be more useful, since 11 levels nets you one of the best Factotum abilities.

Though unless you can take Font 3 or 4 times, a lot of the abilities you get will be hard to use often enough...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-18, 07:51 PM
Rogue 1/Factotem 8/Master of Masks 1/Chameleon 10.

Kellus
2008-11-18, 08:45 PM
Factotum 10/Protean Adept (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55663&highlight=protean) 10