PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of 'Prom Week'...

Neko Toast
2008-11-18, 10:49 AM
I know Prom Week ended, but I'm just curious about something.

Did you ever go to your high school prom?

I never managed to. It's not a big deal, really. But I kind of wanted to.

Junior year I think I was busy.

Senior year, I was going to organize a group with a "friend" of mine. Once prom was coming up, I asked her when we were going to do that. She told me that she "already had a group that she was going with". I asked if I could tag along, and she basically said 'no'. *sigh* By then, every other friend I had had a date. *facepalm*

I am no longer friends with this person, for several other reasons, actually.

Enough of my ramblings. Talk about your prom!

dish
2008-11-18, 10:53 AM
When I was at school in the UK they didn't have proms. I think that a lot of secondary schools and sixth form colleges have adopted the idea now though.

So you are not alone. I didn't go to a prom either.

someonenonotyou
2008-11-18, 11:06 AM
i counden't go to my junior prom cause my GF mother is a %@&/?@!

hopfully i can go to my senior one

arguskos
2008-11-18, 11:10 AM
I did manage to swing my senior prom. It was meh, though I did singlehandedly drink all the Dr. Pepper AND all the Sprite at the bar they had there (I didn't do much else, I don't dance really). I didn't go to graduation (speaking of other important social events in High School), but that's a different tale.

afroakuma
2008-11-18, 11:15 AM
Against my better judgement, I went to my senior prom.

Asked two girls who I was friends with in junior year, and both said no. Asked another one, who basically set me on fire, which was a calumnous surprise.

And then I went for it, decided to ask out the (then) girl of my dreams. Just as friends, mind you.

She actually said yes.

The very next day, though, she told me online that she was having second thoughts, that she felt it would be awkward - and that she felt her refusal would make things so awkward between us that she never wanted to speak to me again.

Which was great, I mean, I had only made restaurant reservations, limo reservations, called ahead for a tux rental etc.

So I cancelled all of those except the tux, since I'd already placed the down-payment and everyone was shouting at me telling me I should still go. I only actually remembered to purchase the ticket that morning.

That afternoon, I picked up my tux, went home. My mother suggested we go down to McDonald's.

I very politely informed her that I could think of nothing more depressing to be doing on the night of my one and only senior prom.

I did go, of course. Everyone I knew showed up an hour late, having a great time, all in couples, including the kid with Asperger's (and I mean, really, good for him.) Most of them were quite drunk, while the rest had only a bit in them.

Best part? The Grand March. Everyone had to stand in line to take pictures. When it was my turn to cross the stage, I got up, and silence fell. Looked to the side, and a teacher was waving me off. Sicne, you know, I wasn't a couple.

About the only good thing to come of that night was that I heard "Scatman" by Scatman John, which I inexplicably find ridiculously catchy.

Thread slain.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-11-18, 11:21 AM
To small of a school to have a prom.:smallsigh:
Not to mention its a school full of mentally disabled children.
Let alone the boy-girl ratio of 39-2.

Jack Squat
2008-11-18, 11:22 AM
I went both my Senior year and the year after (my girlfriend is a year younger than me). Senior year was in a formal kilt/ Prince Charlie Jacket, and I just wore a normal suit for the next.

My experience both times is that the school needs to hire a new DJ, the whole affair is entirely over rated, and some people don't know what formal is. Did anyone else have the guys who wore a tux and then a ball-cap (gangsta style of course) or cheap cowboy hat?

TwoBitWriter
2008-11-18, 11:42 AM
I actually had a really good experience with my Senior Prom.

It was held on the same day as State Competition for Drama, so I originally wasn't going to go because I would have had only an hour to drive back from a different city, dress up, pick up my date, eat, and then make it to prom...

However, this very cute girl, Lien-Anh, was someone I had my eye on for a long time (she also happened to be class valedictorian... of 450 kids...) and we had been buddies for a long time. We weren't like, great friends or anything, but we always got along great.

Well, after my friends chided me to do so, I decided to talk to her. I told her that I wanted to ask someone to prom, but because of my other conflict I was afraid that a girl wouldn't want to be late to her Senior Prom. I tried to not make it too obvious I wanted to ask her.

She then said that she didn't think a girl would mind because I was such a great guy to be with. She was actually blushing a bit, so I knew that she had already figured out I wanted to ask her.

So I looked in her eyes and asked, "Lien-Anh, would you like to go to the Prom with me."

Without a moments hesitation she blurted out, "Yes!" And we hugged.

Prom night, we were indeed about an hour late, but it didn't matter. She was wearing this adorable pink dress and we spent the whole evening dancing together and having great time.

We ended up dating for almost a year after that, but since we were going to different colleges, it was just too hard to keep up. But even now that I'm married to someone else, I treasure what a magical night I had with that girl.

Player_Zero
2008-11-18, 11:46 AM
When I was at school in the UK they didn't have proms. I think that a lot of secondary schools and sixth form colleges have adopted the idea now though.

So you are not alone. I didn't go to a prom either.

Our school had a prom-style dealie end-of-year do. It's more of aleaving party than anything else though.

No, I did not go. This is because I am a sad act.

ghost_warlock
2008-11-18, 11:49 AM
I just wrote about this in another thread but, hey, what the heck.

I went to both junior and senior prom.

For my junior prom, I went stag and, when the senior class president gave a little speech comparing the various member of the junior class to movie characters, I was compared to Hannibal Lector.

For my senior prom, I ended up taking a friend of mine as my 'date.' I ended up burning my hand on the gravy at the dinner and skipping out on the after-prom party. Instead, I ended up driving about an hour with a couple friends to go to a specific restaurant, only to find out it was out-of-business when we arrived. :smallconfused::smallfrown:

Mauve Shirt
2008-11-18, 12:01 PM
I went dateless to my senior year prom. Had some fun. Mostly just stood by the chocolate fountain and watched people grind.

Krytha
2008-11-18, 12:03 PM
So... what's the deal with american proms? Do you have one every year of highschool? Cuz where I went to school, prom was only for graduating students - unless you were invited by one of the aforementioned students.

Anyway, I asked a girl that I liked and she gave me the "It's not me it's you" speech. Not really, but it might've made me feel better as for having a good reason to be turned down - I guess she was going with a group of friends as opposed to a single person.

I didn't ask anyone else from my school and didn't really know if I was going after that experience. Finally, the night before prom, I called up a friend from my orchestra and asked her if she wanted to go. She was more than a little surprised, but said yes. I bought the tickets the morning of prom and went home to wait. I felt kinda bad, because when she met me at my house the next day it was obvious that she had gotten her hair done and I was... well... not in any state of great preparation.

Staying true to my roots, I took the streetcar to my prom. I felt it would be weird wearing a suit on public transit, so I put it in a plastic bag. We both did actually, and we got changed when we got there. We got there late, sat at a table where no one was sitting anymore because they were dancing on a small and crappy dance floor, had one round of the terrible buffet and halfway through eating, we both said screw it and left. Then we walked around downtown, bought bubble tea, and just laughed and walked the evening away. Oh wait. The afterparty was supposed to be at my house.

I didn't want the afterparty to be at my house, but it was. My mom was home. I guess I didn't tell them people (or the whole school) would be coming over. Maybe I did. I can't remember. I certainly didn't want it there, but I guess I was somehow pressured into it anyway.

My neighborhood is not the kind that had loud parties full of drunk screaming teen fools very often. I was a nervous wreck and hid in my room for the vast majority of it. Some guys were rolling blunts on the coffee table and things were rather out of control. Finally, the cops came and gave us a warning. I was like "No! Please! Come back!" which they did anyway 15 minutes later because the neighbors complained again. Did I mention that I was underaged and not allowed to host a party with alcohol legally? So, despite being pressured by "FAQ the police, man" guests, I caved to their demands only too willingly to tell everyone to get the hell out. Thank god for our men and women in blue and badge. This was at 4 AM.

The rest of the early morn was spent hauling empties to a dumpster 5 blocks away (with the help of my sister and some of her friends, god bless them) so that my mom would not awaken to a debacle of epic proportions (and somehow she slept through the whole thing). Finally, I passed out. The next morning, my parents asked me how prom went - to which I calmly replied - "The police came. I'm going back to bed."

Ahhh such fond memories.

Jack Squat
2008-11-18, 12:05 PM
So... what's the deal with american proms? Do you have one every year of highschool? Cuz where I went to school, prom was only for graduating students - unless you were invited by one of the aforementioned students.

At least around here, it's for juniors and seniors (and their dates of course).

B-Man
2008-11-18, 12:13 PM
I did not go to the social after graduation in high school. I really didn't see the point in it. Too many people were sneaking alcohol in and I really don't function well in social situations.

Eldan
2008-11-18, 12:19 PM
I don't think we had something like that here. And if we had, I probably wouldn't have gone, since I really, really disliked everyone in my class, except my two friends, one of which left that school after two years.
On the other hand, I'm not even sure what year of school over here is the equivalent of highschool, so...

skywalker
2008-11-18, 12:50 PM
The next morning, my parents asked me how prom went - to which I calmly replied - "The police came. I'm going back to bed."

Ahhh such fond memories.

Best quote evah!

Aaaanyway, I went to my junior and senior proms. My junior prom was a very weird affair because I wasn't planning on taking a date, but one night, I was talking to this girl online. My dad asked who I was talking to. I said "Some girl..." He responded "You're asking her to prom."

So I did. Most awkward time EVER! She was two years younger than my group of friends(that would make her a freshman), it was a week before prom, she and I had less than zero in common, my friends decided to go to a steakhouse(she's a vegetarian), and when we finally got to prom, she ignored me all night and called her mom to take her home early. I wound up dancing a lot with my future senior year date, as well as a couple of teacheres :smallwink:. I went to a post-prom party with my friends, which kicked ass.

My senior prom, I actually asked the girl who wanted me to ask her(but perplexingly would not tell me she wanted me to), and prom was generally much cooler. My date actually ate dinner(Regas, if you're ever in Knoxville, don't go there. Not worth what you pay), was insistent that we take pictures, and actually wanted to dance with me. Also, after prom party was at her house, which also kicked ass. We played D&D the next evening. I love my friends.

TwoBitWriter
2008-11-18, 12:52 PM
My senior prom, I actually asked the girl who wanted me to ask her(but perplexingly would not tell me she wanted me to),

A girl will never tell you that they want you to ask them out. They want you to figure it out for yourself. Problem is, guy's skulls can be so damn thick...

I'm very glad that the second prom turned out great for you though!

Krytha
2008-11-18, 12:59 PM
Yes, I think I see the usefulness of Junior prom now. It lets you mess up and try to do better next time.

No one is ever having parties at my house ever again.

FdL
2008-11-18, 01:10 PM
Though having spent most of high school being socially inept, I did go to the post-graduation party.

It wasn't very fun *shrugs* We don't do the whole prom with date and stuff here, so it's not like I had to go through the prom-etiquette. Asking someone would have certainly proved complicated.

three08
2008-11-18, 01:37 PM
my graduating class was 15 people. at the time, this was about normal for my school, which had ~300 students in grades 6-12. our proms were legendary for their #$^&tiness. also, if i had gone, it'd've been with a lady friend of mine (note the space between lady and friend) who, as i suspected at the time and later confirmed, had been telling everyone except me that she and i were dating.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-11-18, 01:56 PM
Hmmm, this reminds me of my awkwardness at a previous high school of mine, which was pretty much the school that threw the most awesome parties in the city....

Oh that was one damn good school, and not alone for its party throwing skills.... It's just a damn fine school, not to mention that it only hosts the most difficult level of high school....

Morty
2008-11-18, 01:59 PM
I've never, ever, willingly gone to any sort of school party. I've never seen the point.

LightWraith
2008-11-18, 03:21 PM
I had no resounding urge to go to my prom (we only had one, of the senior variety).

Instead, I had a LAN party with some of my younger friends. I'm relatively certain that I had a better time that night :smallcool:

Zarrexaij
2008-11-18, 03:31 PM
I didn't go to either my junior or senior prom because I thought it was complete waste of time and money.

I'd rather be a poor loser nerd, kthnxbai, than make an ass out of myself on the dance floor.

I mean, even if I wanted to go I would not have been able to buy a prom dress.

Prom becomes an expression of "Oh, look how much money my parents can spend on me to vicariously live through me because they were wash outs!" far too often.

Tirian
2008-11-18, 03:43 PM
Instead, I had a LAN party with some of my younger friends. I'm relatively certain that I had a better time that night :smallcool:

http://www.xkcd.com/422/

I skipped mine. Went to a few formals in college, but I'd just as soon as skipped those too in retrospect.

Dragonrider
2008-11-18, 03:57 PM
A girl will never tell you that they want you to ask them out. They want you to figure it out for yourself. Problem is, guy's skulls can be so damn thick...

My parents went to a dance together their freshman year of high school (how cute is THAT?! :smallbiggrin:) and apparently the way it happened was Mom asked her friend to ask her friend to ask his friend to ask my dad to ask her to the prom. :smalltongue: :smallamused:

Coidzor
2008-11-18, 04:12 PM
I went to not one, not two, but THREE proms. Once as a sophomore with a freshman and a senior (who I'd recently broken up with but that was beside the point for some reason)... It was a kinda weird situation to begin with, since I think my ex rigged the double-date(having 2-dates to prom) situation as a way to give her friend who had to use her prom-bid to get one of us in due to us being underclassmen and only being allowed in supervised even if we had managed to get tickets in our name... Well, basically, we didn't dance and socialized a bit, and after about an hour we got back to find that my ex's friend and her boyfriend had only recently gotten to third base in my ex's minivan. Then I think we all went to waffle house after laughing at his hesitancy or something, dropped people off, and almost got seduced by my ex in my driveway but my mom had decided to stay up to 3 AM despite being warned that I'd be out a bit later due to being the last stop on the carpool (in addition to my ex's party and my ex's friend and her boyfriend we had 3 other parties in the car and had to drop them off all over the county).

Then my junior and senior proms I went with my girlfriend of a year and two years respectively, and mostly was miserable because she didn't want to interact with anyone and was hesitant to dance and when we did start dancing she didn't really like anything I did. So all in all it was a frustrating thing and she ended up crying by the end of the night for the first one, so we went for a walk and I took her out for milkshakes.

Then senior year I got to wear my kilt and she'd grown up enough to be able to stand my friends and socializing with them. She still somehow got the impression that someone else there was flirting with me though, but she actually enjoyed herself more that time around, and we went and found a photo-booth after we left and took some annoying, anime inspired strips of photographs of ourselves.

Funnily enough, despite the fact that the wool of the kilt is a bit itchy at first and I was essentially wearing stockings instead of socks, the kilt was more comfortable to wear than the tuxedo (and I was still wearing a tuxedo shirt and black-tie, formal-cut dinner jacket (coloquially known as Bonny Prince Charlie jackets or something) And this was taking the breeze into account.

Jack Squat
2008-11-18, 04:19 PM
Funnily enough, despite the fact that the wool of the kilt is a bit itchy at first and I was essentially wearing stockings instead of socks, the kilt was more comfortable to wear than the tuxedo (and I was still wearing a tuxedo shirt and black-tie, formal-cut dinner jacket (coloquially known as Bonny Prince Charlie jackets or something) And this was taking the breeze into account.

I got around the "itchy" by wearing some jean shorts...they came in handy later on as well, when I decided to hang the kilt up for the night. The stockings are called kilt hose, and yes, it's a Prince Charlie jacket.

I'll also note that kilt + hose is warmer than a pair of slacks as well, that comes in play with the kilt being made of 8 oz wool.

...I really need to finally get a kilt; as soon as I get a spare $500.

TRM
2008-11-18, 04:20 PM
My parents went to a dance together their freshman year of high school (how cute is THAT?! :smallbiggrin:) and apparently the way it happened was Mom asked her friend to ask her friend to ask his friend to ask my dad to ask her to the prom. :smalltongue: :smallamused:
Mine too! Not the whole part with the dance and the convoluted chain of requests, but they started dating when they were 15 or 16 and are still going strong. *fuzzy feelings*

I've never been to a prom. I don't intend to; but I fear that if I indeed have a girlfriend in the spring, she will be keen on me going with her... :smallsigh:

Don Julio Anejo
2008-11-18, 04:35 PM
Wow people... My school's prom was just an expensive prelude for people to go to a boat party where a friend of mine passed out in the bathtub (that was pretty hilarious in and of itself) and another (female) friend who wanted to do the same thing, wandered towards the bathtub, fell into it and jumped out shrieking after realizing there was someone else in there :biggrin:

I don't think anyone really cared about the prom itself...

Haruki-kun
2008-11-18, 04:39 PM
I went to mine and didn't get drunk. WOO!

It's awesome when everyone around you is getting drunk and you're not and you get to laugh behind their backs and get them to do 30 push-ups just to prove they can. :smallbiggrin:

Although, come to think of it, I'm sure they'll never let students from my school hold a party in that place anymore... <.<

PhoeKun
2008-11-18, 04:52 PM
I remember my high school prom. I went with a very good friend, and she and I were about 2 hours late because I can't read a map. >.> I don't understand why they held the prom three towns over from the school, anyway...

But we got there, we tried dancing, and fun was had, but not nearly as much as the ensuing trip to Blockbuster and the watching of many cheesy sci-fi movies. All in all, we probably should have just dressed up and had a movie night.

Deathslayer7
2008-11-18, 04:53 PM
Ah. We also arrived two hours late to our prom. Dinner ran late for us. But I enjoyed it. We didn't really get to dance much at prom. Only one dance, which was the last dance of the night ironically.

Afterwards, we went bowling together and had fun. :smallsmile:

Closet_Skeleton
2008-11-18, 04:59 PM
I didn't bother going to any of the around graduation time parties I could have gone to

They wanted to charge me money for some reason.

Castaras
2008-11-18, 05:12 PM
This is the problem that I'm having to face at the moment. :smalltongue:

All my friends want me to come to the prom. I'm still not sure if I want to or not. I said I'd probably be going, but I really don't know... Is it really worth going to the prom for some socially inept kid who doesn't like dancing or socialising in massive crowds?

Red Sock
2008-11-18, 05:13 PM

All my friends want me to come to the prom. I'm still not sure if I want to or not. I said I'd probably be going, but I really don't know... Is it really worth going to the prom for some socially inept kid who doesn't like dancing or socialising in massive crowds?

Yes. Yest it is.

skywalker
2008-11-18, 05:21 PM

Always worth it to go to prom.

I forgot to add, all the alcohol stories reminded me:
After going to extreme lengths to keep us from drinking before, after, or during prom(such as only allowing people into prom half an hour late without a timely phone call explaining some legitimate excuse, allowing people to leave only half an hour early without a call to parents, encouraging parents severely to monitor post-prom activities, warning of random breathalyzer checks, etc.), my school handed seniors their prom souvenir on the way out the door: koozies. You know, like you see Bubba using to keep his beer cold. I looked at it and said "Oh, you know, it could be for water or soda, it's just a koozie." The assistant principal, who was rather cynical about such things and apparently had nothing to do with the choice of gift, looked at me with a sad smile and said "I didn't even know there was a name other than 'beer koozie.'" :smallfrown:

Morty
2008-11-18, 05:21 PM

No, it's probably not. Speaking from my experience, my family has always told me that if I go to parties it'll help me socialize, but it ended up untrue. I was having no fun at all and others didn't like it to have a grumpy, unhappy looking person around either.

Lykan
2008-11-18, 05:27 PM
Haven't been to the prom. Probably not gonna go anyway, due to lack of finances, female friends in the area, and girl parts.

Also, I hate the grand majority of the people at school too, and I really don't want to see them any more than I have to. :smallyuk:

RS14
2008-11-18, 06:15 PM
My high-schools prom was open to students from all four years.

I went Freshman and Sophmore year with my girlfriend. It was ok. Not really great, though, so Junior year we just went out for sushi and doughnuts and watched LoTR at her house. Senior year I went bowling with friends instead.

For the record, Junior and Senior year were better. :smallbiggrin:

zeratul
2008-11-18, 07:09 PM
Only a sophmore now so I haven;t been, the only case in which I'll go is if me and my friends decide to crash it in some way, probably just gonna hang out with some people and binge on mountain dew and video games, sounds more like my thing :smallwink:

Haruki-kun
2008-11-18, 07:10 PM

Many of these people you'll never see again in your entire life. Sure, some of them you probably don't want to, but they're still people you've shared the last few years of your life with.

I'm also a socially inept kid who never goes to parties, for the most part. And you know what? I went to my prom, and if I had to chose again, I'd go anyway. And I almost didn't go.

Think about it this way: If you don't enjoy it, it's no big deal. But if you don't go, you'll really regret it for the rest of your life.

I don't get many chances to give people real advice, but this is one such case.

Helanna
2008-11-18, 07:15 PM
My school prom is coming up! Not until, you know, June, but my friends and I have already decided what we're doing. It was an odd conversation:

It started with Physics class, and are grades therein. None of our grades are very good (because the teacher is a LUNATIC:smallfurious: :smallfrown: Alright, not really, I'm just sick of that class.)

So my best friend, number one in our grade, said she didn't care about her physics grade so long as it didn't get her disqualified from the National Junior Honor Society.

Another friend said "What about Gold Cards?" Gold cards being a reward system - you can use them as a pass in the halls, and it lets you get into certain school functions free.

So my friend pointed out that the only dances she was planning on going to was the prom, and Gold Cards don't cover that.

So yet another friend (I do love lunch period) started talking about plans for the prom.

And that's how we finally decided to go as a group and rent a limo. :smallbiggrin: From physics to prom in 6 easy steps!

Deathslayer7
2008-11-18, 08:26 PM
Many of these people you'll never see again in your entire life. Sure, some of them you probably don't want to, but they're still people you've shared the last few years of your life with.

I'm also a socially inept kid who never goes to parties, for the most part. And you know what? I went to my prom, and if I had to chose again, I'd go anyway. And I almost didn't go.

Think about it this way: If you don't enjoy it, it's no big deal. But if you don't go, you'll really regret it for the rest of your life.

I don't get many chances to give people real advice, but this is one such case.

I agree with haruki-kun on this. I almost didn't go, but i promised a friend i would go with her so i did. And i had fun. :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Moon
2008-11-18, 08:36 PM
Meh.

I'm not into the whole "prom scene". Hell, in my whole life, I've only ever owned one real dress - which is currently on my floor somewhere, wondering why it hasn't been dry-cleaned yet. Factor in my flaming contempt for almost everyone in the school, lack of any romantic interest in any one there, and the fact that any dance I've ever gone to lead to me leaving in tears...

Yeah. I'll stay home, maybe see if one of my friends will let us host a Brawl tournament on his flat-screen.

Felixaar
2008-11-18, 08:51 PM
I'd graduated long before my High School Formal, so I didn't get to go. But I would've loved to go and totally crash it with disco music and casual clothes.

though, I wouldn't have had a semi-date who nearly gave me a heart attack with her sudden appearance.

Recaiden
2008-11-18, 09:11 PM

Strangely, yes it is, especially since you said your friends wanted you to come. They'll be there, and you'll have fun.

BisectedBrioche
2008-11-18, 10:38 PM
I didn't go. I've never been the most social of people. I don't regret not going.

Dragonrider
2008-11-19, 12:46 AM
Mine too! Not the whole part with the dance and the convoluted chain of requests, but they started dating when they were 15 or 16 and are still going strong. *fuzzy feelings*

Mine didn't officially date till college, but Mom had a crush on him from the day she met him and eventually he figured out that she didn't JUST want to be friends. :smallbiggrin:

though, I wouldn't have had a semi-date who nearly gave me a heart attack with her sudden appearance.

No need for cardiac arrest, now...you asked me for one dance so I came for a dance. Heart attacks? Hey, now. No death allowed here! :smallamused: :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Ninja Chocobo
2008-11-19, 01:44 AM
I went to my Year 12 Formal, which I suppose is the equivalent.
I went to an all-boys school. I was not friends with those who did things outside school. Hence, I had no female friends, and certainly none that I would call a 'date'.
The food tasted alright, but everything was so loud I couldn't hear my friend talking two seats away, resulting in much boredom on my part once I'd finished eating.
After dinner, I wasn't able to leave for another few hours, spent largely in awkward silence, despite the presence of most of my friends.
At one point I was talked to by a rather inebriated fellow who told me for half an hour that I was really a good guy, seriously.
All in all, it was fairly okay, but not worth the $125 entry fee.
Actually, wait. After re-reading my post, I wish to revise my opinion. It was awful, and I would've gotten a better experience by setting fire to the money and inhaling the chemicals (our money is made from plastic).
Especially since, after I left, The Lonely set in fairly deep.
---
All this was two days ago.
EDIT: And now, if you'll excuse me, I have an appointment with a lachrymose vertex. Good day.

Quincunx
2008-11-19, 02:59 AM
Shotgun prom date. Mind you, the one who set it up didn't need the shotgun, as we were both aware she would headlock him into submission if he didn't agree, and I was spineless. From there until it was over, unmitigated and expensive suck. There was a bit of hanging out at someone's house after prom, which wasn't even memorable, as the high point of the evening.

Felixaar
2008-11-19, 07:12 AM
No need for cardiac arrest, now...you asked me for one dance so I came for a dance. Heart attacks? Hey, now. No death allowed here! :smallamused: :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

:smallsigh: Alright. But only because you said so.

Thufir
2008-11-19, 07:12 AM
I went to my prom, with a whole group of friends ('Cause I was much too useless to ask the girl I liked, obviously). It was pretty fun.

DrizztFan24
2008-11-19, 10:35 AM
I am a senior this year and waiting on my second prom. We get one our Junior year also. My first eyar I was supposed to go with my best friend in the area and had it set since September/Novermber-ish. Our Prom is like the second week in April or some such and I had no idea what to expect. THIRD WEEK IN FEBRUARY, one of my friends is responsible for getting my date grounded from prom. Thanks a bunch you...*feels like name a feminine hygeine product*. So I have close to, what, 5 weeks before prom? After everyone else was asked in January? I managed to find a date with a girl that I didn't really talk to much, but was still friends with. I was a BRIGHT yellow zoot suit with orange and yellow striping. P.I.M.P. I even had the thing altered to fit me. Date went and baught a purple dress one her vacation so I had to suddenly make the two colors work. Cue the fedora and hat band. I look like a pimp or a druglord. The night was OK and I actually spent most of the time with the incredibly fine Swedish exchange girl.

This year should be amazing.

Dirk Kris
2008-11-19, 10:45 AM
Freshman year, went with an older friend who later turned out to be gay.
Sophomore year, was asked by my GF, who got grounded the week before, so I went with her best friend, who was dateless. The rest of their friends, not being in on it, glared daggers at me all night.
Junior year, moved to a new school a month before prom. Went with my new best friend there. Rode in the limo, had a nice dinner, went to Prom, went to Denny's until 2 AM, then we all went to her place (4 couples). Someone, DEFINITELY not me *cough*, decided it would be fun to skateboard down the diving board and do tricks into the pool - in our prom gear. So that's what we did.
Senior year, went stag, danced with all my friends. When the DJ announced last dance of the evening, EVERYONE who was waiting to dance with me ran up. So I had a line extending in front of me AND behind me, about 12 people, all of us hugging the person in front and swaying. There's pictures somewhere - it was cute.

skywalker
2008-11-19, 01:45 PM
I was a BRIGHT yellow zoot suit with orange and yellow striping. P.I.M.P. I even had the thing altered to fit me. Date went and baught a purple dress one her vacation so I had to suddenly make the two colors work. Cue the fedora and hat band. I look like a pimp or a druglord. The night was OK and I actually spent most of the time with the incredibly fine Swedish exchange girl.
That is pretty P.I.M.P.

But not as P.I.M.P as this:

Senior year, went stag, danced with all my friends. When the DJ announced last dance of the evening, EVERYONE who was waiting to dance with me ran up. So I had a line extending in front of me AND behind me, about 12 people, all of us hugging the person in front and swaying. There's pictures somewhere - it was cute.

Yeah, that's hardcore.

Alarra
2008-11-20, 12:08 AM
I went to both my junior and senior proms. I had the same boyfriend for both years, so we went together, although for senior prom, I really had two dates, kind of for junior as well, although not quite so blatantly.

My junior year, I designed my dress and then helped my grandma make it. We went with a large group of couples. I went with my boyfriend at the time, and my best friend (also a guy, who I'd kinda been 'dating' covertly for awhile). Best friend got some girl to come along with him, but once we actually got to the prom they basically ignored one another and I pretty much had two dates. We had a really nice dinner, although didn't rent a limo, and went to the after party after, which was 'casino' themed and a lot of fun.

Senior year, same thing, only best friend didn't even bother finding a date, and I bought my flowy plum dress instead of making it. All our pre-prom pictures are of the three of us. In the big group pictures he stands with one of our other friends who's boyfriend, or maybe it was fiance by that point, was unfortunately out of town, but there was never any thought that they were each other's 'dates'. We had a fun time that time too, a nice dinner, didn't stay at the after party too long, but rather moved our own party up to a hotel. I never got drunk before or during the proms, but after? yeah...

DigoDragon
2008-11-20, 08:15 AM
Never had a Junior prom at my school, but I went to my Senior prom despite having no date and instead having a cold. :smallsmile: I made the most of it and at least had a decent time hanging out with my circle of friends.

And I managed not to pass my cold out to any of my friends.

Silence
2008-11-20, 08:31 AM
My damn school doesn't have a prom. Makes me angry.... Christian private school thinks dancing will get you pregnant.

Jack Squat
2008-11-20, 08:48 AM
My damn school doesn't have a prom. Makes me angry.... Christian private school thinks dancing will get you pregnant.

sounds familiar... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwBbMXYDsXw&feature=related)

You need Kevin Bacon to come to your town :smalltongue:

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-20, 09:36 AM
I may have been one of the few people who enjoyed my leaving Prom. All my mates seemed to have far too much emotional/ social drama going on. Where as I went with a great platonic girlfriend, and we just drank wine*, ate tasty cheesecake, and danced. It was great.

*Can I get a hell yeah for legal drinking at 18!

Krytha
2008-11-20, 11:19 AM

Don't you know? Dancing does get you pregnant. I once put my hands on a girls waist during a slow dance and she just popped out of her dress!

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-20, 11:24 AM
Don't you know? Dancing does get you pregnant

The 'Tango de los muertes' certainly does. You are now carrying my child.

TwoBitWriter
2008-11-20, 11:35 AM

"But...how?"

"It is a mystery of the dance!"

Totally Guy
2008-11-20, 12:11 PM
I won the raffle at my leavers ball. Got a bottle of wine.

I made my ex-girlfriend cry when I said I'd not get back together with her... so we weren't completely devoid of drama.

With university around the corner there were sure to be other girls. There were not.

Then I went to work. I've asked out a couple of girls but they said no.

In the most recent year I've not had any girls in my life what-so-ever. Unless you count girls that don't self identify as girls and a couple of asexuals.

Bugger.:smallfrown:

Krytha
2008-11-20, 12:37 PM
"But...how?"

"It is a mystery of the dance!"

Dance magic? Dance magic, dance! Dance magic? Dance!

Zeful
2008-11-20, 01:40 PM
I did not go to any form of school sponsored dance. Because A: I knew I'd be going alone. As I had a grand total of 0 friend/people that like me. B: If I went I'd stop being a dance and turn into the "haze Zeful" party (or as I have an extreme temper the assisted suicide Olympics). C: by the time I was a senior I was in a charter school that was too small for a prom.

skywalker
2008-11-20, 01:41 PM

Actually, I know some people who were on prom committee at another school(not mine, no, nothing ever happened at my school's dances*), and when they cleaned up the gym after the dance, they found four or five used prophylactics.... So in certain cases...

*except for that one time our art teacher took a picture of the dance floor which, when developed, revealed a senior with his hand all the way up the front of his freshman date's skirt... ANYWAY...

I may have been one of the few people who enjoyed my leaving Prom. All my mates seemed to have far too much emotional/ social drama going on. Where as I went with a great platonic girlfriend, and we just drank wine*, ate tasty cheesecake, and danced. It was great.

*Can I get a hell yeah for legal drinking at 18!

Yes, yes, you can. Hell yeah!

Coidzor
2008-11-20, 01:43 PM
Actually, I know some people who were on prom committee at another school(not mine, no, nothing ever happened at my school's dances*), and when they cleaned up the gym after the dance, they found four or five used prophylactics.... So in certain cases...

At least they're using condoms...

Felixaar
2008-11-21, 02:38 AM

"Only one man was crazy enough to do that dance! And he is dead!"
"Yes... my twin brother! But where he died, I shall live... in his apartment."

"Somewhere, I know, your father looks down on you and smiles. Oh, there he is!"

RabbitHoleLost
2008-11-21, 02:42 AM
I had a relatively average prom.
Went with Terumitsu.

Yeah.
Have pictures, but its back from when I was fat, so, no sharing =P

Felixaar
2008-11-21, 04:34 AM
Aww... we promise not too make fun of you, Rabbs.

Right, men?

skywalker
2008-11-21, 04:47 AM
Aww... we promise not too make fun of you, Rabbs.

Right, men?

What about the ladies? Don't they count?

Felixaar
2008-11-21, 05:07 AM
They certainly do, but I don't speak for them...

dish
2008-11-21, 05:32 AM

The ladies on this forum are far too ...well...ladylike... to ever consider making fun of one of their number's appearance. I think we're all aware of how impolitic that can be among women (see comic 608), as well as how we are all equally vulnerable on that front.

However, it is Rabbit's perogative NOT to show you photos unless she wants to.

Krytha
2008-11-21, 09:27 AM
Well... I thought that was a given, anyway...

I wish I had some pictures of my prom...

skywalker
2008-11-21, 01:45 PM

But you do speak for your own gender?

I'm not sure I'm seeing the relationship there. If you're going to go ahead and speak for half the species and probably a significantly higher fraction of the forum, why not speak for everybody?

Pyrian
2008-11-21, 02:57 PM
But you do speak for your own gender?He did actually ASK. :smallcool:

Felixaar
2008-11-21, 08:33 PM
Listen to the smart man with the cool hat.

Pyrian
2008-11-21, 08:36 PM
:smallbiggrin: Sig'd!

skywalker
2008-11-21, 09:50 PM
He did actually ASK. :smallcool:

I maintain it was one of those questions it's impossible to say no to! A rhetorical question, if you will. Sort of like "You're with me, right?"

Well of course I am, when you frame it that way...

AslanCross
2008-11-22, 01:19 AM
Though my own prom was ages ago (it was okay, apart from the really embarrassing part where I fell asleep in the car on the way home beside my date, dad was driving), prom drama is heating up in the school I teach in.

The biggest problem is that boys outnumber girls 2:1 (more or less), and that they aren't allowed to take dates from outside the school (cost is apparently the biggest factor here), so a lot of people are definitely going to end up going stag.

Thing is, I have this one student in my creative writing elective who is dead set on asking this one girl, but is taking forever to do it. Sometimes he spontaneously rants about it in the middle of class in a very flowery manner (he's kind of odd) and it takes 87.65% of my force of will to keep from smacking him upside the head for interrupting the class.

Everyone in the class teases him about it, and even I keep telling him that he's never going to get around to doing it since he keeps planning (he speaks of it in military terms, using phraseology like "I shall continue my all-out offensive today" or "I am using my intelligence bureau to learn more about my subject") and doesn't just up and do it. He's failed to carry out his "intricate plans" so far.

Add to this the reality that about 50% of the batch already knows he wants to ask this girl, including the girl, who's also asked for my help regarding this guy.

Does this guy have any hope?

Side note: One of the coolest things about being a high school teacher is the ability to go to the prom every year at absolutely no cost. Two years ago the prom was an extremely extravagant affair in a hotel (http://aslancross.wordpress.com/2007/02/18/welcome-to-the-masquerade/) with a band that was actually good. (the batch was rich and the girl who headed the prom committee was the daughter of the guy who owns the Philippine Stock Exchange).

Last year, we had our prom in a too-small venue that would have otherwise been a great place. (10-foot square dance floors, whee)

I'm bracing hard for this year's prom, because I heard the place is even tinier. >_o

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-22, 05:14 PM
Does this guy have any hope?

Speaking as someone who has been that guy, no. Unless he actually does it soon, or she asks him.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-11-22, 05:46 PM
We had a prom at our school. Unlike a fair few of the stories I've read in the thread ours was a right laugh, mainly because we didn't try (one of my friends word I pirate hat, one wore a fake moustache)

Of course, I blame the boy to girl ratio in our school for not getting a date, not my obvious negative qualities. Luckily, I'm friends with nerds, so no-one had a date :smallbiggrin:

We played Lazer Age (sort of combat thing) with everyone, and stole all the place's jam to sell on to people, and laughed at the drunks.

Allright night really, perhaps due to our incredibly low expectations of the evening.

Oh yeah, and afterwards we had a moment that pretty much summed us up as nerds. Whilst everyone else went off to whatever after parties they had, I went straight onto my computer and found that my friend and I had both sighned into MSN at about 1am in the morning to waste our time away on the internet :smallamused:

Mr. Moon
2008-11-22, 06:58 PM
The ladies on this forum are far too ...well...ladylike...

Speak for yourself! :smallamused:

Flag_Pole_Sitta
2008-11-22, 07:54 PM
I have to share my story of Prom win and glory. I went with a male friend (I'm female), in a larger group of friends, many of whom did not have specific dates. I wore a tuxedo, he wore a dress.

Before hand we went, in formal wear, to the local gaming shop to play D&D. We hung out at prom for a bit. Thought it was lame, so we went to see Speed Racer in theaters.

Best Prom ever.

It was my Senior Prom, by the way. I couldn't be arsed to go to my Junior one.