PDA

View Full Version : Build Request: Laser Cleric (3.5)

Starsinger
2008-11-18, 12:56 PM
Somewhat related to my "To Go Back" thread, I'd like to request help from you guys in making a "Laser Cleric" for 3.5. For those not in the know, Laser Clerics are the fan term for the ranged cleric build in 4e who focus on casters, have two ranged at will abilities (a blast of light and a ball of sacred fire) and are more like white mages than upfront combat medics.

Ideally, I want some form of ranged healing and a decent reserve feat I can use to blast things indefinitely (preferably one like Searing Light, but I'll probably have to settle for another damage type). I'd also prefer if it could be done with Favored Soul as opposed to Cleric, since I prefer spontaneous casters.

And this is less necessary, but the lower level possible the better. Nothing supremely cheesey, but dumpster diving through umpteen splatbooks for just the right thing is fine. Homebrew is iffy, since there's not a game in question yet and thus I have no DM to run it by.

Thanks in advance.

ZeroNumerous
2008-11-18, 01:13 PM
Ideally, I want some form of ranged healing and a decent reserve feat I can use to blast things indefinitely (preferably one like Searing Light, but I'll probably have to settle for another damage type). I'd also prefer if it could be done with Favored Soul as opposed to Cleric, since I prefer spontaneous casters.

The ranged healing: There is a feat that allows you to do so in Complete Champion whose name I cannot recall off the top of my head. There is also a ritual feat in C.Arc or C.Div that allows you to spend turning attempts(1/companion at the start of the day) to allow you to heal allies at 30ft range.

As for ranged attacks: The Fire Blast reserve feat in C.Mage allows you to make a standard fire-based attack that deals damage in d6s equal to the highest available [Fire] subtype spell you have memorized/spell slots to cast for the day. If you're a Favored Soul, this only gives you 5d6 at level 10 or 8d6 at level 16, but if you're a Cleric you can take Heighten Spell and Energy Substitution to make your Sound Burst spell into a [Fire] type of any level-1.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-18, 01:22 PM
Hm. Well, you'll want ray spells. It sounds like you'd be well served by by scorching ray, Reach Spell (CDiv) metamagic coupled with inflict spells, and probably a couple things like lucent lance (SC) and ray of flame (SC).

Alternatively, refluff cloud of knives (PHB-II) to be tiny points of light blazing from your halo/corona/eyeballs/what have you. Also try Spell Thematics (Lasers) (PGtF), the Spellwarp Sniper class (varianted to be divine instead of arcane; CScn), and Ocular Spell metamagic (LoM).

Townopolis
2008-11-18, 01:28 PM
Unfortunately, favored soul lends itself much more to being a melee caster than either cleric or archivist. I like spontaneous casting a lot, but you're going to have to decide whether it's more important, or if being as close as possible to a white mage is.

If the latter, I'd recommend an archivist or cloistered cleric variant. I'd say the cheapest and easiest way to get ranged healing would be to try and get an item of unlimited spectral hand. Otherwise, the feat Zero spoke of that allows you to expend turn attempts is in PHB2 and you also have to spend a turn attempt every time you cast a cure spell, it's not that fabulous.

Starsinger
2008-11-18, 01:29 PM
Unfortunately, favored soul lends itself much more to being a melee caster than either cleric or archivist. I like spontaneous casting a lot, but you're going to have to decide whether it's more important, or if being as close as possible to a white mage is.

If the latter, I'd recommend an archivist or cloistered cleric variant. I'd say the cheapest and easiest way to get ranged healing would be to try and get an item of unlimited spectral hand. Otherwise, the feat Zero spoke of that allows you to expend turn attempts is in PHB2 and you also have to spend a turn attempt every time you cast a cure spell, it's not that fabulous.

If worse comes to worst, I can always ask about the Spontaneous Cleric variant (possibly with Cloistered on top)

Fax Celestis
2008-11-18, 01:36 PM
Actually, on the favored soul note, the PHB-II alt class feature makes a favored soul into a buffmonster: every time you buff someone, you grant temp. HP equal to twice the spell's level. It's really awesome, especially when combined with the Combat Medic prestige class (in Heroes of Battle, which you'll need to drop two levels to get into as it requires Evasion. Monk 2 would be a decent choice: Wis-to-AC and all good saves), which gets a class feature called Healing Kicker: every time you heal someone, you can attach a rider effect (IIRC, either an aid spell, a bonus to reflex saves, or a sanctuary effect; it's limited to class level uses per day, but it wouldn't be broken to allow it to function an unlimited number of times). Plus, no CL loss, improved evasion, and...I think Mobility? I forget the whole thing, but it's a great class.

ZeroNumerous
2008-11-18, 01:40 PM
If the latter, I'd recommend an archivist or cloistered cleric variant. I'd say the cheapest and easiest way to get ranged healing would be to try and get an item of unlimited spectral hand.

That would require two standard actions just to heal someone. Much, much more efficient to simply buy lots of nightsticks.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-18, 01:58 PM
Somewhat related to my "To Go Back" thread, I'd like to request help from you guys in making a "Laser Cleric" for 3.5. For those not in the know, Laser Clerics are the fan term for the ranged cleric build in 4e who focus on casters, have two ranged at will abilities (a blast of light and a ball of sacred fire) and are more like white mages than upfront combat medics.

Thanks in advance.

Reach is a +2 metamagic (could be +1 in Complete Divine, but I think +2) making a spell have up to 30 feet in range.
It would let you use healing at range.

1) You could also then Reach Cause Light Wound to cause Negative (I mean Necrotic since you play 4E alot) damage type at range.

2) Searing Light
3) cloud of knives
4) Blessed Aim acts like Lance of Faith adding +2 bonus to allies Ranged attacks. It only adds the effect part of Lance of Faith though.
5) Foundation of Stone adds a bonus to untyped AC similar to Priest's Shield (bonus granted only when the target isn't moving; it checks each round).
6) Guided Light also +2 ranged attack bonus against creatures.
7) Sacred Fame in 3.5 (damage/range)
a. Light of Lunia: 2 Lazers deal 1d6.
b. Light of Mercuria: 2 lazers 1d6, but 2d6 versus undead.
c. Darkfire: 1d6 damage/2 levels. Touch or thrown weapon.
d. Light of Venya: 2 bolts dealing 2d6, or 4d6 versus undead and evil outsiders.
e. Slashing Darkness: 1d8/2 levels or heals undead.
8) Moon Bolt: 1d4 Str damage/3 levels, or make undead helpless.
9) Sound Lance: 1d8/level sonic damage (Thunder in 4E)
10) Close Wounds is a ranged healing spell cast on anyones turn.

RukiTanuki
2008-11-18, 02:09 PM
May I recommend the Eldritch Disciple (CMage)? You lose two levels of spellcasting (one for Warlock, one for the first level of the class), but you'll end up casting as a Warlock 11/Cleric 18 at 20th level. You can take the Healing Blast gift and expend a turn undead attempt to use your eldritch blast to heal targets instead.

Starsinger
2008-11-18, 03:23 PM
May I recommend the Eldritch Disciple (CMage)? You lose two levels of spellcasting (one for Warlock, one for the first level of the class), but you'll end up casting as a Warlock 11/Cleric 18 at 20th level. You can take the Healing Blast gift and expend a turn undead attempt to use your eldritch blast to heal targets instead.

Could you show me a class progression (and pre-requisite feat progression) at least for the pre-reqs or is it just Cleric 4/ Warlock 1? Cuz I suppose that won't be too bad.

Reach is a +2 metamagic (could be +1 in Complete Divine, but I think +2) making a spell have up to 30 feet in range.
It would let you use healing at range.

Mm.. Metamagic. In-combat healing is already dumb in 3.5, I don't wanna waste a 3rd level slot for 1d8+5 hp, that just screams extra dumb. Is Hierophant the only way to reliably get infinite close range on touch?

Fax Celestis
2008-11-18, 03:28 PM
Cheap Reach is pretty much Hierophant only, yes.

As for entry to Eldritch Disciple...I think FS 4/Warlock 1 should get you in, unless I'm remembering the prereqs wrongly.

Rei_Jin
2008-11-18, 06:52 PM
Let's see...

Requirements are...

Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks
Knowledge (The planes) 4 ranks
Able to cast 2nd level Divine spells
Able to use Least Invocations
Must be able to Turn or Rebuke Undead
Must worship a Chaotic or Evil Deity

I'd take Warlock 2/Cleric 3 to get into it, giving you Detect Magic at will.

You select the Healing Blast effect, giving you the ability to heal with your Eldritch Blast rather than damage. Combine this with an Eldritch Chain and you can heal allies and damage undead nicely.

Another option for you would be to use the Divine Ward feat from the PHBII. It burns up your Turn Undead attempts pretty quickly, but it does allow you to heal at range. Perhaps take a 1 level dip in cleric for the Turn Undead and put everything else into Favoured Soul? You'll have your spontaneous spells, as well as Turn Undead to power your ranged healing.

Combine that with a Reserve feat for your ranged fire and you're set!

Starsinger
2008-11-18, 06:55 PM
Okay Eldritch Disciple is rather awesome. Would Cleric 5 be better afterwords or would Enlightened Spirit 5? (Maybe sprinkled in the middle?) In other words Warlock 1/Cleric 9/Eldritch Disciple 10. Or Warlock 1/ Cleric 4/ Eldritch Disciple 10 Enlightened Spirit 5? What about Warlock 1/ Cleric 5/ ED 10/ES 4?

Rei_Jin
2008-11-18, 07:05 PM
Depends on whether or not you want to be able to cast Miracle or not.

Me, I'd be going for the 5 levels of Cleric.

More Spellcasting = More Awesome.

Starsinger
2008-11-18, 07:06 PM
Depends on whether or not you want to be able to cast Miracle or not.

Me, I'd be going for the 5 levels of Cleric.

More Spellcasting = More Awesome.

True but really Cleric stops being interesting after I get into a PrC. Any full casting PrC I could pick up for 5 levels for more class features?

Fax Celestis
2008-11-18, 07:13 PM
...divine version of Spellwarp Sniper? Drop two feats and take some Ruby Knight Vindicator? :P

No, those don't really fit with what you're doing. However, I know there's a PRC out there somewhere that gives Evasion first level--I don't recall if it's divine or arcane, but if you can get your hands on that one level and then go into Combat Medic, you'd be sitting pretty.

Rei_Jin
2008-11-18, 07:15 PM
Yeah, take levels in Mystic Wanderer from Magic of Faerun. Level 1 of that class gives you Charisma bonus to AC as a Deflection Modifier when unarmoured. It gives full spellcasting progression, as well as a bunch of handy other stuff.

Combine that with a Monks Belt, and you're set.

Starsinger
2008-11-18, 07:16 PM
Charisma bonus to AC as a Deflection Modifier when unarmoured

You sir, are my hero.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-18, 07:20 PM
Yeah, take levels in Mystic Wanderer from Magic of Faerun. Level 1 of that class gives you Charisma bonus to AC as a Deflection Modifier when unarmoured. It gives full spellcasting progression, as well as a bunch of handy other stuff.

Combine that with a Monks Belt, and you're set.

Holy crap.

My Spellthief//Hexblade Ghost just found a PrC.

Rei_Jin
2008-11-18, 07:21 PM
*Bows*

Thank you.

I'm doing something similar with a Spirit Shaman that I'm playing. Most people see their MAD as a problem, but I'm intending on exploiting it by getting as many stats to AC as possible.

So far I've got Dex, Con, Wis, and Cha. I can add Int if I take levels in Duelist (which would be a waste, as my Int isn't high and it's not a stat I need.)

Only thing I can't find a way to add is Str, but I'm sure there's a way to do it.

Starsinger
2008-11-18, 07:27 PM
Holy crap.

My Spellthief//Hexblade Ghost just found a PrC.

Requires 2nd level divine spells.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-18, 07:30 PM
Requires 2nd level divine spells.

>_>

<_<

I can steal second level divine spells. yes i know that doesn't count

Rei_Jin
2008-11-18, 07:32 PM
You sir, are my hero.

Consider this sigged.

Starsinger
2008-11-18, 07:38 PM
>_>

<_<

I won't tell anyone :smallcool:

Keld Denar
2008-11-18, 07:56 PM
5 levels of Contemplative (CDivine) wouldn't be a bad finisher for your Cleric/Lock/ED. This nets you an extra domain (get one with funky spells!) and some other neato tricks. The prereqs are cake for a 15th level character, and that cake is no lie. Otherwise, I hear Paragnostic Apostle from Complete Champion is a pretty no-pain PrC to level in, 1-3 of those should be fairly noteworthy.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-18, 08:08 PM
>_>

<_<

I think it does count. But only on the days you steal 2nd level spells.

Example, while leveling you steal a 2nd level spell: you gain Prc due to meeting requirement.
But since you lose that 2nd level spell soon (is it a minute or 10?) you lose benefits of the Prc till you regain a 2nd level spell.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-18, 08:13 PM
Example, while leveling you steal a 2nd level spell: you gain Prc due to meeting requirement.
But since you lose that 2nd level spell soon (is it a minute or 10?) you lose benefits of the Prc till you regain a 2nd level spell.Actually, the 'lose requirements, lose PrC' thing only applies to PrCs in CArc and CWar, IIRC. Otherwise, the Dragon Disciple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/dragonDisciple.htm) is even more nerfed.

Fax Celestis
2008-11-18, 08:18 PM
I think it does count. But only on the days you steal 2nd level spells.

But since you lose that 2nd level spell soon (is it a minute or 10?) you lose benefits of the Prc till you regain a 2nd level spell.

CustServ clairified:

Can a Spellthief use his Steal Spell ability to qualify for prestige classes that require the ability to cast spells of X level? Can he use his Steal Spell ability to qualify for prestige classes that require the ability to cast a specific spell? Can he use his Steal Spell-Like Ability ability to qualify for prestige classes that require a specific spell-like ability (such as any prestige class that requires Eldritch Blast)?

Thank you for writing. The Steal Spell ability does not qualify the Spellthief for prestige classes that require spellcasting ability, regardless of the spell stolen.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-18, 08:27 PM
CustServ clairified:CustServ are idiots. The Spellthief can cast 2nd level spells at 4th level. Would a Cleric cease to qualify after burning through his slots, or if he forgot to prepare spells?

Fax Celestis
2008-11-18, 08:35 PM
CustServ are idiots. The Spellthief can cast 2nd level spells at 4th level. Would a Cleric cease to qualify after burning through his slots, or if he forgot to prepare spells?

Normally, I'd agree with you, but it makes the spellthief incredibly broken. Consider thus: a spellthief, under the reading in which it can qualify for things with its thefts, can qualify for any arcane, divine, invoking, psionic, mystery, truenaming, or class combination thereof.

One could also make the argument that you could use UMD/UPD to emulate a race, feat, or class to qualify for more stuff.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-18, 08:48 PM
Actually, the 'lose requirements, lose PrC' thing only applies to PrCs in CArc and CWar, IIRC. Otherwise, the Dragon Disciple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/dragonDisciple.htm) is even more nerfed.

Dragon Disciple is broken: it doesn't work.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-18, 08:50 PM
Normally, I'd agree with you, but it makes the spellthief incredibly broken. Consider thus: a spellthief, under the reading in which it can qualify for things with its thefts, can qualify for any arcane, divine, invoking, psionic, mystery, truenaming, or class combination thereof.

One could also make the argument that you could use UMD/UPD to emulate a race, feat, or class to qualify for more stuff.Yes, it would be broken, but I think RaW supports my view.

Charlie Kemek
2008-11-18, 08:52 PM
You might also want to concider the archivist instead of the cleric, HERE (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3)

RukiTanuki
2008-11-19, 05:29 PM
Archivist, however, wouldn't qualify for Eldritch Disciple, as it cannot turn undead. Actually, that prevents Favored Soul from entering as well.

ED's easy to enter, but I'd be torn between entering as a Warlock2/Cleric3 or a Warlock1/Cleric4. Warlock2 gets you Detect Magic at will, but you'd end up as a Warlock 12, which (invocations-wise) gets nothing. Cleric 18, on the other hand, has an additional 9th-level spell over Cleric 17.

The Eldritch Disciple is my favorite part of Complete Mage. If I could run down someone local with a 3.5 campaign, I'd be playing an ED. :)