PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding on a system

Aptera
2008-11-18, 06:28 PM
Fellow Playgrounders, I need your help! I have an idea for a campaign but I don't know what system to use, and I'd like your advice.

The Setting/Campaign:
You're a small kid living in a small town in an isolated area, and one day you accidentally go under your bed or into your closet, or your basement at night.. Blacking out you wake up and nothing seems different. You get up and the next day you get up, eat breakfast pack your bag and get on the school bus. Then it happens. For a brief second you find yourself in a fog covered world with strange shadows where your schoolmates used to be. Then your back.
It gets worse as the day goes on. You stay longer and when you try to talk to others in this world they merely look at you. Then when you touch them the darkness falls off and you see just a strange twisted mash of flesh and bone stitched together in strange ways. Slowly mor and more time is spent in this other world, but you also meet other kids who go there (the other PCs) and find the remains of those who once went. Then the monsters really to start to appear. Its up to you and your fr to save your town as the monsters try to seep into the day world through you.

Thematically the story is based off of Coraline by Neil Gaiman and a number of other children's books involving scary other worlds. my main problem setting wise is that the characters are kids, ages 9-12 (roughly fourth through sixth grade if your American) and I don't really know any system which can really get this. I've thought of Call of Cthulhu, but I don't know if that would work well. has anyone tried child characters in CoC? I've also thought of Savage worlds, but I'm also not sure there. What do you guys suggest?

-Thanks in Advance!
Aptera.

Lappy9000
2008-11-18, 07:09 PM
They've done younger kids in Dungeons and Dragons before. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfif5DiGMYc)

Only ever played the d20 meself, but from what I've heard, Call of Cthulu would tramutize those 12-year olds for the rest of their lives :smalleek:

Kagehime
2008-11-18, 07:11 PM
World of Darkness: Innocents is all about playing as children.

Aptera
2008-11-18, 07:13 PM
They've done younger kids in Dungeons and Dragons before. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfif5DiGMYc)

Only ever played the d20 meself, but from what I've heard, Call of Cthulu would tramutize those 12-year olds for the rest of their lives :smalleek:
Stupid Stupid Stupid Aptera!:smallredface: I meant the characters are kids. Let me fix that.

Lappy9000
2008-11-18, 07:41 PM
Stupid Stupid Stupid Aptera!:smallredface: I meant the characters are kids. Let me fix that.

:smallbiggrin:

No, no, I got that, but CoC would result in some very messed up PC's if they were kids. Having a 10-year character old glancing upon an elder evil greater than comprehension causing him to lose his sanity would just seem a little messed up (even for CoC).

Aptera
2008-11-18, 10:18 PM
:smallbiggrin:

No, no, I got that, but CoC would result in some very messed up PC's if they were kids. Having a 10-year character old glancing upon an elder evil greater than comprehension causing him to lose his sanity would just seem a little messed up (even for CoC).
Oh good, thats what I was thinking as well.

Lord Tataraus
2008-11-18, 10:39 PM
World of Darkness: Innocents is all about playing as children.

Seconded since, well, that's what this system was made for: playing innocent kids in a normal world except the monsters and demons under the bed/in the closet are real.

Satyr
2008-11-20, 12:20 PM
What you write seems like an almost exact description of a Little Fears campaign to me. I think that this system is out of print for a couple of years by now, but it would be the best system for a campaign like that. It is a great game, even though perhaps a bit too grim for the taste of some people. I would recommend it, but I don't know if you can get it.

Alternatively, try Unknown Armies. One of the greatest games when you are interested in an overall mystic game, and overall welll adaptable to play with weaker characters - like children.
Besides, it has one of the greatest magic systems I know of.