PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir

Archonic Energy
2008-11-18, 06:33 PM
Hi Everybody,
Hi Dr. Nick
as i know there are many RPG fans here my question is simple

anyone got the new expansion yet?
it's not quite out over here yet (it's due Friday)
but i've pre-ordered it.

thoughts, queries, & general NWN2:SoZ chat here!

please post all spoilers in spoiler tags.

JMobius
2008-11-18, 06:34 PM
Oh, that's coming out soon? I have it preordered on Amazon, and I'd forgotten.

Sweet. :smallsmile:

Dihan
2008-11-18, 06:37 PM
I'll get it only because I'm a sucker for expansions.

Though you've got to admit that they could have picked new classes that actually offer something new and exciting.

Selrahc
2008-11-18, 06:39 PM
Mask of the Betrayer was a brilliant expansion pack. I'm going to wait for the fan reactions, see if it is as good as MotB and then get the game anyway, because eventually my curiosity will win out.

But its not on the list for another month or so.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-18, 06:47 PM
I thought it wasn't going to be out until next year at the very least.:smallconfused:

Archonic Energy
2008-11-18, 06:53 PM
I thought it wasn't going to be out until next year at the very least.:smallconfused:

http://www.atari.com/nwn2/soz/news.html

you can thank me later :smallamused:

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-18, 07:08 PM
:smalleek: OH MY GOD I AM SO PUTTING THIS ON MY CHRISTMAS LIST!!!

The Evil Thing
2008-11-19, 08:22 AM
I think I'll preorder it as well. Actually, come to think of it I never completed Mask of the Betrayer. When it comes out I'll have one gigantic NWN2 playthrough, homework be damned! :smallbiggrin:

Shadowcaller
2008-11-19, 08:25 AM
The expansion is coming out so soon?:smalleek:

This will be my christmas present of the year along with microsoft word 2007,(...its a LONG story)

Brother Oni
2008-11-19, 10:07 AM
This will be my christmas present of the year along with microsoft word 2007,(...its a LONG story)

Why not try Open Office and save the money up for something more valuable like another game? :smallbiggrin:

JMobius
2008-11-19, 11:00 AM
I think I'll preorder it as well. Actually, come to think of it I never completed Mask of the Betrayer. When it comes out I'll have one gigantic NWN2 playthrough, homework be damned! :smallbiggrin:

Worth noting that, as I understand it, it is not a continuation of the main plot of the OC+MOTB, but something new entirely with pretty different gameplay.

Lorn
2008-11-19, 11:34 AM
Worth noting that, as I understand it, it is not a continuation of the main plot of the OC+MOTB, but something new entirely with pretty different gameplay.
I think I read somewhere it basically takes place at the same time as MOTB after the events of the OC.

Archonic Energy
2008-11-19, 12:04 PM
i wonder when they'll release a 4th Ed game (NWN3 or something)

The Evil Thing
2008-11-19, 12:29 PM
I don't doubt it, but it's a general principle of mine to complete the parts of the game that I own before buying more. :smalltongue:

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-19, 07:21 PM
I think I read somewhere it basically takes place at the same time as MOTB after the events of the OC.

Yes, that's correct. You won't be playing the Shardbearer, but Neverwinter will be one of the places you visit, as well as Crossroad Keep. Ah, the nostalgia's hit already. :smallamused:

Driderman
2008-11-21, 12:52 PM
Bought it, looking forward to not playing it during the weekend as I still have to complete MOTB and the OC even.

According to the manual, its supposed to be a more party oriented classic D&D adventure with some interesting additions like full-party conversations (got a barbarian high on intimidate? Let him talk down the cutthroats and such) and overland trade and random encounters.
It sounds interesting, although I'm not sure what I think on having the create the entire party- On one hand there won't be party interaction like the other games had, but then again is that really a bad thing considering the horrible NPCs Obsidian has a tendency to cook up? :smallwink:

jamroar
2008-11-21, 01:23 PM
i wonder when they'll release a 4th Ed game (NWN3 or something)

Seeing how abstract and "tactical" turn-based 4e is even compared to 3.5, I doubt it would lend itself well to a reasonably accurate RT game translation.

There is also the problem that in 4E FR timeline

Neverwinter was destroyed in the Spell Plague. Well, the idea could be to reclaim and rebuild the place yet again.

OTOH Baldur's Gate is now the largest city in the Realms. If that is any indication, I suspect we may see a BG MMORPG instead. :smallfrown:

Mx.Silver
2008-11-21, 01:33 PM
It sounds interesting, although I'm not sure what I think on having the create the entire party- On one hand there won't be party interaction like the other games had, but then again is that really a bad thing considering the horrible NPCs Obsidian has a tendency to cook up? :smallwink:

You really haven't completed MotB yet have you?:smalltongue:

I personally say it's about time full party conversations were included. As it was, there was no point whatsoever in investing in the social skills for any character other than the main/party leader.

Driderman
2008-11-21, 01:46 PM
You really haven't completed MotB yet have you?:smalltongue:

I personally say it's about time full party conversations were included. As it was, there was no point whatsoever in investing in the social skills for any character other than the main/party leader.

No, I played about 5 minutes of it until I realised I hadn't done the OC yet-Looking forward to the full-party conversations, it sounds interesting. Unfortunately, I think my computer may be dying. Again :smallfurious:
Piece of crap.

Also, isn't Waterdeep on the Sword Coast?

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-21, 02:30 PM
Yes, it's south of Neverwinter. The map in the NWN2 OC however only extends to the Mere of Dead Men. Waterdeep's further south than that.

Archonic Energy
2008-11-21, 02:37 PM
hmmm. looking at the manual makes me think there'll be alot of trading...

intresting...

patching... not long to go now!

Driderman
2008-11-21, 03:00 PM
Yes, it's south of Neverwinter. The map in the NWN2 OC however only extends to the Mere of Dead Men. Waterdeep's further south than that.

I was thinking of the comment that Baldurs Gate is the biggest city on the Sword Coast. Pretty sure that Waterdeep is supposed to be the larger

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-21, 03:09 PM
I thought that info was in the 4e book. Baldur's Gate recieved quite a bit of immigrants following the whole Spellplague hoo-hah.

Driderman
2008-11-21, 03:57 PM
R.I.P Graphics Card.

Bugger. It's weekend, I got a brand new game to play and my crap-computer dies on me for the second time in less than a year. Same issue as last time as well.

Seems I won't get to play this anytime soon

Breltar
2008-11-22, 01:11 AM
I'm going to buy it after I hear some reviews on it.

On a side note, the final patch for the original NWN1 came out not too long ago, it gave PCs the ability to ride horses and do mounted combat. They even tossed in purple dragon night prestige class.

Flickerdart
2008-11-22, 10:00 AM
Ah, mounted combat? Neat, I wish I still had my discs.

And shouldn't 4E lend itself well to PC gameplay? Everything is a lot more focused on combat, resting the night actually heals everyone by RAW (the game did it already anyway, in 5 seconds to boot) and MotB's Spirit Eater powers with their cooldown resemble 4E abilities a little bit already.

JMobius
2008-11-22, 12:38 PM
On a side note, the final patch for the original NWN1 came out not too long ago, it gave PCs the ability to ride horses and do mounted combat. They even tossed in purple dragon night prestige class.

That's... not an official patch, right?

SmartAlec
2008-11-22, 01:15 PM
That's... not an official patch, right?

Yes, Patch 1.69 (new tileset, new monsters, Purple Dragon Knight class, mounted combat) was official. The last official patch, according to BioWare, but official.

Aricandor
2008-11-22, 03:18 PM
I got it yesterday and have been playing like mad ever since.

WALL OF TEXT INCOMING!

My impressions so far:
-The whole overland map thing is pretty cool and reminded me of the old Heroes of Might and Magic days. With the right skills, you'll frequently discover minor places to click on and get minor things from. Other than that the descriptive text pops up over your miniature character representation's head when you discover something rather than in a dialogue box it's eerily similar to HoMM 3. Oh, and the monsters aren't stationary.
- As those of us who followed it from early on expected, the new classes aren't particularly interesting.
Swashbuckler is as useless as ever for single-classing; moreso than in PnP, in fact, since some abilities can't be properly computerized.
The Doomguide seems to be cheaped out on spell progression for no apparent reason.
The Hellfire Warlock is as cool as in PnP, however. As always, a cleric friend that can make Lesser Restoration potions is highly advised. :smalltongue:
I kind of wish they had done something more exciting though. The Tome of Battle classes, for example, would have been nine kinds of awesome (See what I did there? Hur hur), especially after the spellcaster-loaded MotB.
- No cinematic style interactions at all (that is, KotOR-style), which I guess is due to the party conversation system. Which, by the way, is pretty cool and is used in the game to the point of abuse; there's plenty of opportunities to use skills other than Bluff/Diplomacy/Intimidate here. When they encourage you to get a party with diverse skills, they *really* mean it. Even the Craft skills have occasionally come in handy in conversation...
Bottom line here is: look out for speech bubbles on other character portraits all the time - they indicate if another character than the selected one has something different available to say.
- There is LOTS of skill use on the map (even beyond the obvious Hide/MS/Spot/Listen/Search). Without saying too much, it feels like a ranger would be a major boon in any party, but a druid backed up by a rogue as I chose seems to work too.
- The AI is extremely unforgiving and practically never played to monster intelligence. The times it is probably just happens to be when you face a monster that WOULD start eating as soon as a character drops.
The death and dying rules in the SoZ campaign are pretty close to 3.5 as written (minus stabilization rolls and you die at -½ max instead of -10), but as opposed to PnP where most monsters leave the killing for when all PCs are down, they tend to keep shooting/stabbing a character that's already down until they're dead unless you can REALLY manage to distract them.
(No storyline spoiler, just a minor place I visited):
I stumbled into a camp of not-so-friendly elves (no, not Drow :smallwink: ), which shot down two of my character's to dying and then kept shooting them until they were dead, even as my melee characters closed up and started slashing.

Perhaps they did it in OC/MotB too, but it was less obvious when you didn't actually die in combat, but it felt much more like monsters focused fire on my characters one by one. This felt especially cruel as most of my characters have level adjustments. They also seem to HATE rogues, as even mindless beetles, skeletons and spiders headed straight for my poor rogue when they saw my party coming. :smallmad:
Another location; no story or anything but spoilered for safety:

I've also ran into a lot of various caves during the game so far (unsurprisingly) and quite often as I started fighting the entry guards a LOT of the nearby (un)friendly monster population started pouring in to help their friends. As the cave where I first noticed this turned out to be packed *full* of ogres and trolls with greataxes and class levels it got... Very, very messy, especially as my average party level was about 7 or 8.

- There's a LOT of trading/merchant-play to do, but so far it feels a little, well... Shallow. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious, or perhaps all there really is to being a merchant is "buy low, sell high". Most is automatic after you set up trade routes however, which you'll be grateful for when you notice how much profit you have to make to proceed the storyline.
- Some of the campaign's DCs are outright cheesy. Maybe I just stumbled into the wrong areas way too early, but even with an un-adjusted character with maxed out Disable Device I occasionally found traps with DCs she couldn't even beat on a roll of 20 - even a +10 thieving kit would only have her succeed on 15+ or so. Evasion has saved her life on many occasions...
The Spot DCs for roaming monsters on the overland map are also ridiculously high at times; you'd expect the DC to spot a rampaging band of monsters led by a troll or a band of bright fire elementals in a dark forest to be lower than 25+. I can forgive the latter instance, as it encourages you to put many points into the respective skills, but the unbeatable traps are just plain cheesy.
- The towns also feel rather shallow (so far). Most interaction with them is carried out on the overland map, unless you want to visit a temple or inn for something other than healing/ressurrection and resting. To think of it, this is true for most of the content. There's certainly a fair amount of places to find and explore, but they're usually not very extensive.

Overall the whole expansion feels more like showing off how cool a feature the overland map is than anything else (you'll run back and forth across it a lot) - for example the campaigns only lets you rest on the map itself or at inns. Most of the time this is easily justifiable I guess (no resting in the middle of the ogre caves), though sometimes it gets ridiculous as you can't even set up camp, say, just outside the walls of a logging camp and be safe with its guards nearby.

I expect modders to be able to do a whole lot of cool stuff with the map though, so all in all I'm pretty happy. The campaign is okay so far and reminds me a little of Baldur's Gate minus the godspawn thing. It's also proving just as plot-twisty as anything previously by Obsidian, so that's cool.
Setting up trade stations everywhere and sinking all your gold into bigger and bigger caravans is also pretty neat, even if it sometimes feels like I was playing a blend of Civilization and Pac-Man rather than Neverwinter Nights.

Now if you excuse me, I've a game to finish. :smallbiggrin:

Comet
2008-11-22, 03:32 PM
Does the expansion have your characters start out as level 1 novices or is it an epic-level romp like MotB?

Also (on a not-so-important note) how much piratey action does it have? For some reason I've gotten a distinct impression of good ol' swasbuckling goodness from the previews and trailers.

Aricandor
2008-11-22, 03:35 PM
Does the expansion have your characters start out as level 1 novices or is it an epic-level romp like MotB?

Also (on a not-so-important note) how much piratey action does it have? For some reason I've gotten a distinct impression of good ol' swasbuckling goodness from the previews and trailers.

You start out with 8000 experience points on each character, so you're 2000 short to get you to level 5.

No piratey swashbuckling I'm afraid.
The scenes right after the storm and ship crashing into the shore nod slightly towards it, but so far I've yet to see a single ship after the start.

Oh, right, there's one docked in Port Llast too. But you don't get to sail it. :smalltongue:

Drascin
2008-11-23, 07:27 AM
I never beat Mask of the Betrayer (a friend lent it to me, but I couldn't finish it before he asked for it back for lack of time) but I might just get this one. I've heard you can make your team wholly, instead of being limited to your character and then the NPCs the campaign throws at you. But is it neccessary to go all-out optimizing with the roles (as in, having pretty much everything covered among the four guys, Cleric/Cleric/Rogue/Wizard party style) or does the campaign allow you to do a bit more experimentation without being punished for it? I wanted to try a Hellfire Warlock, myself.

Driderman
2008-11-23, 10:37 AM
So I got my computer working again and am starting to play MotB, but have encountered an odd issue.

I'm not sure whether Safiya's initial dialogue is supposed to be voiced, but in my case it isn't. Also, the dialogue lines have only about 1 second delay between them. I'm pretty good at speed-reading but not that good.
Any ideas what's going on and how to fix it?

Flickerdart
2008-11-23, 10:54 AM
Safiya's first cinematic dialogue is supposed to be voiced, as are all such. Since there's no voice, I assume the program decides to skip it...never seen that error before. You can press Space to pause the game and read the lines, of course.

And you can definitely play a Warlock. I'm playing one right now. Word of Changing was changed from a Baleful Polymorph into Polymorph Self to a Horned Devil. It can't hit much, but it has good AC and Regen 5, so you'll never die pretty much. It's also sweet because of the 24-hour low-level buffs you can sink your lower Invocations into. Leaps and Bounds now gives +4 Dex instead of +2 Jump and whatnot. Stack that with Dark One's Own Luck and Beguiling Influence, and you've got a nice set of buffs. Fire off a few long-lasting invocations like Chilling Tentacles and Vitriolic Blast, change into the Horned Devil and go to town! Not optimal, sure, but it works. It also offsets the constant damage you take from the Spirit Eater curse.

Driderman
2008-11-23, 11:02 AM
Found the answer on Biowares support forums. It seems that installing Storm Of Zehir deletes the "vo_xp1.zip" file, which causes dialogue issues in MotB.
There is no fix for it yet :smalleek:
So I suppose I'll have to uninstall it to play MotB.

Zenos
2008-11-23, 11:31 AM
I now really want this game.

Toastkart
2008-11-23, 03:46 PM
I was looking forward to this game, so I loaded up motb and updated it. No sooner do I hit the play button than I get an error that says: "A required security module could not be activated."

Sadly, it's an unnecessary problem caused by the SecuRom that Atari uses. I've tried several suggested fixes but none have worked so far. Anyone had this issue before and had it fixed?

It pisses me off so much. There's no reason for the Securom to work in the way that it does that causes this error, and prevents me from buying the new game. :smallfurious:

Aricandor
2008-11-23, 06:04 PM
I never beat Mask of the Betrayer (a friend lent it to me, but I couldn't finish it before he asked for it back for lack of time) but I might just get this one. I've heard you can make your team wholly, instead of being limited to your character and then the NPCs the campaign throws at you. But is it neccessary to go all-out optimizing with the roles (as in, having pretty much everything covered among the four guys, Cleric/Cleric/Rogue/Wizard party style) or does the campaign allow you to do a bit more experimentation without being punished for it? I wanted to try a Hellfire Warlock, myself.

You can pick up various NPCs to serve as the fifth and sixth party member (then switchable just as in the OC) if you wish, and from what I could tell there's a fair amount of diversity in the companions you can find. As long as you have someone in your core-four that can take a few blows in the beginning before you find and pick them up, you should be fine.
Also, you can swap your created four as well at certain points in the game (books by the doors at inns). So you can switch the meatshield if you find an NPC to serve as it instead. :smallsmile:
After a certain point in the story you can even buy training (XP) for characters that are lagging behind, so you can create a new character from scratch mid-campaign and not have to use cheats to bring them up on par with the rest of the group. The training is kind of expensive though; seemed to be about 1 GP/experience point when I looked, but I'm not 100% certain.

All in all it feels like they've done everything they can in order to make sure you can play with the characters you like, whenever you like throughout the campaign.

Breltar
2008-12-01, 10:17 AM
Well I picked it up the other day and this is the best expansion for NWN2 imo because it gives the players a feel of freedom and adventure instead of a more static storyline. That is not to say that there isnt a storyline, but that it is more of 'do it on your own time' type of game.

Recommend anyone with NWN2 and MoTB to pick this up.

JMobius
2008-12-01, 12:23 PM
Finally really started playing it yesterday. Its much more addictive than I'd anticipated.

It seems much more like 'traditional' D&D than the heavily story focused adventures of the likes of MOTB. While on one hand, I prefer story focused games, I think that the game shines more than it otherwise would just because they're really using the ruleset like it was meant to be used. As an example, this is the first time I've ever really used the feats for crafting scrolls, wands, and the like. Healing wands are a lifesaver; a common problem in tabletop, but never before was it an issue for me in NWN.

It also has some of the most challenging encounters I've seen in the series to date. Beatable, but for some of them some thought has to go into it. MUCH preferable to the invariable trouncing you gave everything in your path in the previous titles.

Tingel
2008-12-01, 08:07 PM
I really like the game. So far I am having more fun than I had with the previous two installments. The party system, worldmap and exploration is all very much to my liking, and so far the story was interesting enough. I am not that far into the game yet, however, so I cannot really judge the story yet.

Here's my party:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa90/vengeful_child/1-1.png
He'll become a Nightsong Enforcer as soon as he has received Evasion from his second Shadowdancer level. He and Sasha form my Sneak Attack commando.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa90/vengeful_child/2-1.png

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa90/vengeful_child/3-1.png

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa90/vengeful_child/4-1.png

And an in-game group shot:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa90/vengeful_child/5-1.png

Breltar
2008-12-01, 09:47 PM
I have this....

Clan Foehammer

Breltar Foehammer - Fighter/Dwarven Defender - he is the 'tank' and charges in with all the AC I can give him.
Brellia Foehammer - Cleric/ eventual Warpriest - she is the healer and can stand toe to toe and do combat healing
Dairna Foehammer - Wizard/Eldritch Knight - she is the blaster but with armor and some combat prowess (dwarven waraxe and the samarach patrol armor)
Drugan Foehammer - Rogue - my trap finder, disarmer and pick lock. He uses twin handaxes and might eventually get some swashbuckler levels

Right now I also have the druid with the dino (cant remember his name) and the ship captain.

I love the fact that resting is limited and that your allies do not magically get a free raise after the fight is over.

zaei
2008-12-01, 11:12 PM
Pictures...

I see someone is using Kaedrin's class pack. Best mod for that game ever.

I'm currently running through with a Bard/Rogue/Druid, aiming for a slightly modified Canaith Lyrist (I allowed it to progress both Bard and Druid casting, like in PnP), and a Swashie/Fighter/Champion of the Wild, cleric, and my girlfriend's Ranger/Sorc/Arcane Archer.

We started the expansion several days ago, but were having some issues getting into it. We restarted this weekend, and now we are totally hooked.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-12-02, 12:10 AM
Thug? Nightsong Infiltrator? Are those new prestige classes? I know Swashbuckler is one of the new base classes.

Driderman
2008-12-02, 03:25 AM
Thug? Nightsong Infiltrator? Are those new prestige classes? I know Swashbuckler is one of the new base classes.

If you read the post above yours you should be able to deduce that they're classes from a mod of some sort. I was pretty confused too initially :)

As for the game, it does seem rather good. I've been playing it a lot these last couple of days since my computer resurrected and I'm home sick from work. Feels like I haven't really touched on the main plot yet, except for a few hints and the initial introduction.
Right now my Bane-worshipping band of freaks (Earth Genasi Fighter/Weapon Master, Yuan-Ti Pureblood Ranger, Drow Favoured Soul/Rogue and Tiefling Warlock) are busy building a trading empire and growing rich and fat- Screw other peoples problems :smallbiggrin:

Tingel
2008-12-02, 07:57 AM

The expansion only introduced one new base class (swashbuckler) and two prestige classes. However, as zaei has pointed out, I am making good use of a player created class expansion. I found it in the Neverwinter Nights 2 Vault, here (http://nwvault.ign.com).

The class pack I use (Kaedrin's) adds one new base class (Thug, basically a Fighter with sneak Attack instead of bonus feats and armor) and many prestige classes. it adds variety to character creation, so I think it's a great addition to the game.

I also got new hairstyles and faces from that site, as well as some good homemade adventure modules. The game's fan community is quite productive and talented, apparently.

Om
2008-12-05, 03:34 PM
It seems much more like 'traditional' D&D than the heavily story focused adventures of the likes of MOTBOh oh, alarm bells are ringing in my head. What's the quality of the writing/characters/plot like? Anything comparable to MotB?

JMobius
2008-12-05, 03:39 PM
Oh oh, alarm bells are ringing in my head. What's the quality of the writing/characters/plot like? Anything comparable to MotB?

No. Disappointing, to say the last, after the quality that was MOTB. What I find is that the new game is fundamentally a different flavor, which has to be appreciated for its own sake.

Only one writing wallbanger that really irked me so far:
Mindflayer merchants? What? Seriously?

Forgive me if there's some precedent for this, but based on what I know from LoM, this seems so ridiculously out of character for the species it is not even funny.

Arioch
2008-12-07, 06:19 AM
Mindflayer merchants? What? Seriously?

Forgive me if there's some precedent for this, but based on what I know from LoM, this seems so ridiculously out of character for the species it is not even funny.

I don't think it's that stupid. They are Lawful Evil, after all. If they have a good supply of brains to snack on, there's no reason why they wouldn't set up a market like that if it was in their interests (which it is, since they fleece you mercilessly).

Also, can anyone tells me what happens to the goods you send back to Crossroad Keep? Can they be retrieved, and if so, where?

Breltar
2008-12-08, 12:42 AM
Also, can anyone tells me what happens to the goods you send back to Crossroad Keep? Can they be retrieved, and if so, where?

If you are talking about the trade goods then its a trading route, not something you can actually obtain. You can get your share of the trade bars from Variel though.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-12-08, 01:19 AM
I'm not sure if I want to buy this now or wait until I finish putting my half-orc paladin/sorcerer/red dragon disciple/divine champion through her OC and then send her through MOTB as well. I'm not best pleased by leaving a campaign uncompleted, but if SOZ is worth seeing...

Arioch
2008-12-08, 12:28 PM
If you are talking about the trade goods then its a trading route, not something you can actually obtain. You can get your share of the trade bars from Variel though.

I'm talking about the option where you can send goods back to crossroads keep directly. I got the impression that one should be able to get them from the Keep, but according to NWN2 forums this is buggy.

Driderman
2008-12-08, 01:15 PM
I'm talking about the option where you can send goods back to crossroads keep directly. I got the impression that one should be able to get them from the Keep, but according to NWN2 forums this is buggy.

I did it a couple of times, I just talked to the caravan master outside the merchant HQ to get it. No bugs for me

JMobius
2008-12-08, 01:20 PM
Minor spoily question:

Where do you find Volo after traveling to the Sword Coast? I know I can go back there, but last I saw he wasn't at his old spot.

Arioch
2008-12-08, 02:06 PM
Minor spoily question:

Where do you find Volo after traveling to the Sword Coast? I know I can go back there, but last I saw he wasn't at his old spot.

He's in Crossroad Keep, in the Merchant Company HQ, in the room to the right of Sa'Sani where you keep your unused cohorts.

Breltar
2008-12-08, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure if I want to buy this now or wait until I finish putting my half-orc paladin/sorcerer/red dragon disciple/divine champion through her OC and then send her through MOTB as well. I'm not best pleased by leaving a campaign uncompleted, but if SOZ is worth seeing...

Finish the OC and you probably won't be too lost with the references in SoZ back to that one.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-12-08, 06:44 PM
I've played the OC and MOTB before. I'm just wondering if I should finish it with my current character.

JMobius
2008-12-08, 06:48 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like the encounters-while-resting can be pretty brutal sometimes? I can deal with a few of them, but when they happen in sequence it can really suck once the casters start getting completely dry.

The Dire Wolves encounter also seems to be particularly brutal, especially for its CR.

Breltar
2008-12-09, 08:29 AM
Is it just me, or does it seem like the encounters-while-resting can be pretty brutal sometimes? I can deal with a few of them, but when they happen in sequence it can really suck once the casters start getting completely dry.

The Dire Wolves encounter also seems to be particularly brutal, especially for its CR.

Hints from me...

Have a move silent and hide character active when you overland rest, seems to help.

Have a Druid to deal with the dire wolves if possible. (conversation option)

Inhuman Bot
2008-12-09, 09:20 AM
Wait, you actually make all of the charcters in your party?

JMobius
2008-12-09, 10:55 AM
^ Yep.

I've actually got a ranger I use for overland travel, who has hide/move silent/spot/listen/search/survival all maxed out. The interrupted resting encounters are my primary problem, especially as you don't even get a chance to parlay with them.

Breltar
2008-12-09, 03:53 PM
^ Yep.

I've actually got a ranger I use for overland travel, who has hide/move silent/spot/listen/search/survival all maxed out. The interrupted resting encounters are my primary problem, especially as you don't even get a chance to parlay with them.

There are the camp setup and improved camp setup teamwork abilities that you can get from the adventurer's guild. Those lower the chances of encounters while resting by 25 and 50 percent respectively.

Jinura
2008-12-10, 04:12 PM
I was wondering if this by any chance fixed the economy problem where you at lv 5 could have 50k gold pieces..?

Inhuman Bot
2008-12-10, 04:25 PM
opinion question!
I liked the original nwn, nwn 2 and all the expansions thus far.
In your opinions, would it be worth asking for this as a gift, I.E. it has a decent plot, not too many bugs, and has a decent playtime?

thanks.

zaei
2008-12-10, 10:55 PM
My girlfriend and I are finding it to be a lot of fun. Definitely worth getting, especially if you liked the previous two.

Breltar
2008-12-11, 07:54 AM
opinion question!
I liked the original nwn, nwn 2 and all the expansions thus far.
In your opinions, would it be worth asking for this as a gift, I.E. it has a decent plot, not too many bugs, and has a decent playtime?

thanks.

Was virtually bug free for me, though it didn't like my anti virus program to run while it was running.

Plot is good/great and the playtime seems decent if you are a 'do everything you can' type.

Athaniar
2008-12-14, 01:04 PM
Questions:

Do you have to have that Betrayer expansion installed to play this?
Is the plot "new" or does it follow from the previous two games?
Can this game generally be considered worth buying for someone who liked the original NWN?

Breltar
2008-12-14, 05:20 PM
Questions:

Do you have to have that Betrayer expansion installed to play this?
Yes.
Is the plot "new" or does it follow from the previous two games?
It is a new plot, though it incorporates some of the events from the first game.
Can this game generally be considered worth buying for someone who liked the original NWN?
Yes I believe it is the best thing to hit NWN2 period.

In other words, would make a good gift.

Larrin
2008-12-17, 04:21 PM
Definitely good fun.

It has a very wide open feel to it, you can bum around for a bit exploring the map and then when you've found all the crates and fought enough random encouters, go do some story line for a bit.

I do wish some the "dungeons" were a little bigger, often you walk into a cave and its small enough to fit on the screen and "boom" you fight 15 orcs, and then you find the one chest and get a +2 dagger....and thats it. The least they could've done was had you find something side questy or something.

But that little quibble aside its my favorite NWN2 experience. I super love making my own party! None of this "well, i guess i'll use this poorly made thief character they stuck me with since i had to be cleric and can't unlock anything...." I can have my cleric and thief it too!

zaei
2008-12-17, 11:35 PM
As far as I know, you do not need Mask of the Betrayer installed to play SoZ, but some content will be disabled (I believe people have been having issues with using MotB classes and being unable to level).

Paul H
2008-12-30, 02:59 PM
Hi

Finally finished it a week ago. Started with a 15th lvl (?) Warlock/Rogue from MotB campaign, & created 3 x lvl 4 characters so they'd already have appropriate weapons/armour at the start.

The Cleric went Doomguide, since it's too good not to take.
The Rogue/Swashbuckler went Wpn Specialist
The Gray Dwarf Fighter took couple levels of Bard, then went Red Dragon Disciple. Specialised with a Scythe in one hand, (:smalltongue:) just for fun......

Ending was a bit sudden, though. Wish it had gone on longer. Definitely the best NWN2 so far... (Still haven't finished MotB).

Cheers
Paul H