PDA

View Full Version : How exactly do you create an animal companion?

theonesin
2008-11-18, 07:47 PM
I'm going to be playing my first Druid ever, and I'm using a Fleshraker Dinosaur as my animal companion. But I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to make it. Do I fill out a second character sheet for it or something? Or is it done differently than that? Also, what does it mean exactly when the monster entry says to "apply a -3 adjustment to the druid's level for purposes of determining the companion's characteristics and special abilities"? If it means anything, my Druid is starting at level 6.

Rei_Jin
2008-11-18, 07:56 PM
Okay, there's a table in the PHB for abilities that your Animal Companion gets as you advance in level. When you pick a creature that says (Druid Level -3), that means that you can't select it as an Animal Companion until you are at least level 4, and the bonuses it gets are 3 levels behind your Druid level at all times.

That help?

MeklorIlavator
2008-11-18, 07:57 PM
I'm going to be playing my first Druid ever, and I'm using a Fleshraker Dinosaur as my animal companion. But I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to make it. Do I fill out a second character sheet for it or something? Or is it done differently than that?
I would suggest getting a second character sheet. Remember that you can equip the animal with some stuff, and that the extra hit dice give it feats, skills, ability adjustments just like normal HD in addition to the benefits granted according to the table(note, size doesn't increase).

Also, what does it mean exactly when the monster entry says to "apply a -3 adjustment to the druid's level for purposes of determining the companion's characteristics and special abilities"? If it means anything, my Druid is starting at level 6.
Look on page for the rules on animal companions. Notice how the table that talks about advancement is based on druid level? Well, if it says to "apply a -3 adjustment to the druid's level for purposes of determining the companion's characteristics and special abilities", you treat yourself as a druid that's 3 levels lower for the purposes of the table, and nothing else. For instance, if your 6th level druid took one that had a -3 adjustment, then the companion would get 2 bonus hit dice, +2 NA, +1 STR and Dex, etc. instead of getting +4 hit dice, +4 NA, +2 Str and DEX, etc.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-18, 08:04 PM
Your AC does get it's own char sheet. It doesn't need a full on, but I find it makes my turn easier to have it. As a Druid, you can easily be controlling 4 monsters at the same time, and casting a spell, so every bit of simplification of your turn helps. This (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#theDruidsAnimalCompanion) section lists the abilities your AC gets. Because it is a Fleshraker, it gets the abilities of a Druid 3(+2 HD, +2 NA, +1 Str, +1 Dex, 2 bonus tricks, Evasion, Link, and Share Spells). The HD give it +1 BAB, +1 feat, +1 to all saves, +1 poison DC, and +2 skill points. I suggest taking the Multiattack feat. You may get it free later, but the boost now is worth it, especially if your DM allows you to trade up to Imp. Multi.

theonesin
2008-11-19, 01:39 PM
A similar question, but this time regarding Wild Shape. Do each creature I plan to change into need its own sheet(even if not a full one), or is there a simple set of stats and whatnot I can just print out easy?

JBento
2008-11-19, 01:43 PM
You're going to need to do some math yourself, since attack bonus and saves are based on your HD, not your form's, and then modified by your new (i.e., the creature's) ability scores - except Will saves, which will be unmodified from your own (and will therefore rock)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-19, 08:55 PM
Not sheets, but statblocks for all of your forms. Calculating exact bonuses in Wildshape takes time, and your fellow players don't want to sit there while you figure out your new saves. I'd say get a few specific forms you always use to fill certain roles, and a statblock for each. I'd say get a grappler, a charger, a flier, a land-based spy, and a swimmer.

theonesin
2008-11-21, 12:34 PM
Any particular recommendations for creatures to take to fill those roles? I'm not at all familiar with DnD monsters.

MeklorIlavator
2008-11-21, 01:26 PM
Swimmer: Fish/Shark/Dolphin/Whatever
Land-spy: Cat/Dog/mouse
Flyer: Hawk/Eagle/Giant X, where X is something that flys
Charger: Anything with pounce. Good in Core Choices are the big cats, out of core you can get fleshrakers, which are just awesome.
Grappler: I believe the progression is something like Croc<Black Bear<Brown Bear<Polar Bear

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-21, 01:37 PM
Swimmer go with anything. Shark and especially octopi are pretty good, but just being able to function in water puts you far ahead of the rest of the party. For the land-spy it depends on your setting, but senses, speed, and the general attitude of the locals are what matters(Riding Dogs are awesome, but if the city your in serves dogs for dinner as a delicacy, you may want to go cat:smallwink:). Pouncer, you want a Fleshraker if possible, anything else with Pounce if not. The cats are awesome. The grappler, just go with the biggest, strongest thing you can find that has Imp Grab. The list is about right.

littlechicory
2008-11-21, 03:11 PM
Depending on your druid's race, you might be able to afford the feat Natural Companion, which would allow you to treat your fleshraker as a 1st-level animal companion.

Then take the fleshraker stats from the MM3 and the animal progression from the Player's Handbook and work out the math bits yourself.

ETA: If you need to, go ahead and write up an extra character sheet for your animal companion. I usually do just fine with a piece of paper where I've written abilities, hit dice, hp, AC (and breakdown), and attacks.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-21, 03:15 PM
Depending on your druid's race, you might be able to afford the feat Natural Companion, which would allow you to treat your fleshraker as a 1st-level animal companion.

Then take the fleshraker stats from the MM3 and the animal progression from the Player's Handbook and work out the math bits yourself.Natural Bond, and you can still only get a Fleshraker once you've reached 4th level.

AslanCross
2008-11-21, 04:14 PM
WOTC has a revised 3.5 character sheet (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/DnD_charactersheet.zip) that provides an extra sheet for all class-specific features. This one has a large amount of space devoted to the animal companion/familiar features.

For the pounce form, I recommend the lion or the fleshraker for a pouncer. The lion's a bit tougher and has improved grab, while the fleshraker has lots of poisonous attacks.