PDA

View Full Version : 3,5 Caster Nerf Campaign

Abbott
2008-11-18, 08:22 PM
I've had a thought on my mind for a while - a campaign where I disallow nearly all core casters.

The changes I'll make will be (sans splatbooks):

Wizard, Sorceror, Druid and Cleric are goners.
Paladins gain Turn Undead at level 2 (and there are Paladins of Tyranny).
Rangers I'm not sure about.
Bards exist, but I'll use the rule for Divine Bards, only make them cast with Charisma. Bardic lore is based on Wisdom, however, and represents divine insight.
Warlocks are in and no longer have a restriction on alignment.
Binders, Truenamers and Shadowcasters are the new casters.

The background is as follows:
Paladins and Bards are the primary links with the divine, representing the holy warrior and the charismatic priest respectively. Truenamers are the scholarly type of the kind that one would imagine wizards to be. Shadowcasters are intelligent too, but they're seen as using a tainted form of magic that does have its place, being the dark sorceror-like character. Warlocks are born with natural powers, often through some kind of bloodline. They're the primary creators of magic items (though I'll probably only allow bard and paladin spells for wand and scrolls) imbuing them with the power of the higher (and lower) realms. I have a soft spot for binders.

So what do you think? Utter garbage?

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-18, 08:25 PM
So what do you think? Utter garbage?

The Truenamer is, unless you lessen his Truenaming DCs.

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-18, 08:27 PM
Did you even look at the Truenamer before saying that it's a wizard replacment? That thing is more broken than a healer and only slightly better than a CW samurai.

Replace it with the Psion and you have an ok system.

Abbott
2008-11-18, 08:30 PM
It captures the feel of the way I view a wizard more then I think even the wizard does. How could you make it work?

Paul H
2008-11-18, 08:31 PM
Hi

Already an existing campaign where casters are nerfed - Living Planar.

Divine casters lose caster levels/spells at 6th & 12th lvls. Also no Enhancement bonuses to anything without special documentation. Full caster PrC's lose spells/CL at 1st level. (My Clr 3/Warmage4/Mystic Theurge 5 got badly hit)

As to your campaign, don't forget that the system has been balanced/designed with full casters in mind. To take them out you'll need to make balances elsewhere. Start by looking at creatures with special DR's, and encounters with multiple opponents. (Normally take these out/lock down with area affect spells).

Cheers
Paul H

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-18, 08:32 PM
It captures the feel of the way I view a wizard more then I think even the wizard does. How could you make it work?

Give the truenamer a bonus on his truenaming checks equal to his caster level.

Eldariel
2008-11-18, 08:33 PM
It gets precious little testing due to the fact that the Truename DCs are ludicrous. Therefore, it's hard to say things about its exact balance factors, but fixing the Truename DCs would be the first step. 10+1x seems more natural than 15+2x. Either 10+2x or 15+1x would work though.

Ascension
2008-11-18, 08:37 PM

There are some reworked Truenamers in Homebrew if you look around. Maybe one of those fixes will work for you.

Abbott
2008-11-18, 09:07 PM
Actually, I like Eldariel's idea. 10+2x seems fair. Would that make them remotely playable?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-18, 09:12 PM
Actually, I like Eldariel's idea. 10+2x seems fair. Would that make them remotely playable?That would be fine. The DCs are tough, but reachable. DC 12 at CR 1 with 4(ranks)+4(Int)+3(skill focus) makes it on a 4. DC 50 at CR 20 with 23(ranks)+12(Int)+10(magic item)+3(Skill focus).

Gralamin
2008-11-18, 09:14 PM
I much prefer this for truenaming. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90961)

Yukitsu
2008-11-18, 09:22 PM
What did the poor casters ever do to you?

Oh wait. Right.