PDA

View Full Version : In Nomine

Abbott
2008-11-18, 09:23 PM
Anyone here a fan of this wonderful game?

Riffington
2008-11-18, 09:27 PM
Yes. Yes I am.

:)

Abbott
2008-11-18, 09:31 PM
Ever played it? If so as what (both Character or if you were a DM would be nice to know).

I've personally only DM'd one squad of Angels and one of Demons and they're amongs the best games I've ever had. Can't wait to play that Kyriotate wannabe Balseraph of Kronos or that Eliite turned Swordie Malakite...

Riffington
2008-11-18, 09:37 PM
Well, I played in two campaigns - never ran one. The first, I was a Bright Lilim of Gabriel. I had a huge amount of fun hiding that fact when the Game came into town... I was friends with a Seraph of Revelation, who obviously had a little difficulty keeping secrets.

The second, played an Impudite of Fleurity. It turned out to be the Night Music campaign, though... and when I was reassigned to Furfur he insisted I get rid of my "Peace Pipe"

But yeah - it's an amazing game.

obliged_salmon
2008-11-18, 11:08 PM
Currently playing an elohite of Yves. He's got a private eye role and deals in celestial problem solving, in Dublin. Quite fun.

toasty
2008-11-19, 12:00 AM
What is this game based on? In Nomine... in name? On Name? My latin isn't amazing.

bosssmiley
2008-11-19, 05:49 AM
In Nomine (http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/) is love. :smallbiggrin:

Kubal ftw!

Riffington
2008-11-19, 06:29 AM
What is this game based on? In Nomine... in name? On Name? My latin isn't amazing.

It's the game that Dogma was based on.

The Latin is literally "In the Name" - but you know the next word will be in the possessive, so translate it "In the Name of"

Abbott
2008-11-19, 06:47 AM
Would somebody be interested in running a PbP-game?

toasty
2008-11-19, 07:19 AM
It's the game that Dogma was based on.

The Latin is literally "In the Name" - but you know the next word will be in the possessive, so translate it "In the Name of"

Its possesive? I though nomen's possive was nominus, plural nominum...

My latin book tells me Nomine is in the ablative case...

Quincunx
2008-11-19, 07:51 AM
The next, unwritten word will be possessive. You're right, what is there is ablative.

RPGuru1331
2008-11-19, 08:45 AM
In Nomine is pretty amazing, but I never got to actually play it, which is a darn shame..

Shisumo
2008-11-19, 10:42 AM
In Nomine is a game with a setting as gorgeous as a sunset from space and a system that leaves me weeping from sheer frustration at its atmospheric genius and mechanical inanity.

Brother Pain
2008-11-19, 11:16 AM
It's called In Nomine because the original title of the game was a bit too controversial.

Wikipedia on INS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Nomine_Satanis).

Riffington
2008-11-19, 01:19 PM
Would somebody be interested in running a PbP-game?

I wouldn't be able to run it, but I would also love to play in one.

Preneurdetête
2008-11-19, 02:33 PM
The original name of the game is In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas. The concept is actually rather simple : it is like IRL, but you an angel (or a demon)...

This game is probably the most successfull french p&p rpg. Indeed, the developpers decided to put an end to the game after about 17 years of existence... which is a rather happy ending (even though the team went through a lot a difficulties), considering the situation of the market in France.

I am a real fan of the french version. They made fun of politicians, intellectuals and other celebrities in almost every books ! I think this is one of the reason why it was difficult to export it : there were a lot of pun, jokes etc... that non-French could not understand if they were not familiar to the country.

I heard the english version was very different. How did it manage with the humor ?

And for those interested, here is a web site where previous extensions can be downloaded (but only in french) : http://www.xxiemeciel.com/ins_ebook01.php

Riffington
2008-11-19, 03:03 PM
I heard the english version was very different. How did it manage with the humor ?

It has nothing about politics or current events. But it is actually still a pretty funny game - it has theological playfulness, it never takes itself too seriously, and it's written with sort of a wry sense of humor in there.

Heck, just the idea that there used to be a Demon Prince of Sloth, but then Gluttony ate him... genius :)

also, I don't think they changed the name to be less controversial. I think they wanted to make it clearly one game instead of two. So they just shortened it to "In Nomine" while letting you decide whether that should be "In Nomine Satanis", "In Nomine Dei", or something else.

Preneurdetête
2008-11-19, 03:52 PM
It Heck, just the idea that there used to be a Demon Prince of Sloth, but then Gluttony ate him... genius :)

Nog has been eaten :smallconfused: ?

Well, it is not that weird compared to some stuff of the original version... In 96/97, Andréalphus (Lust) decided to get pregnant, for his/her personal development. After mating with Baal (War) in a mortuary, he/she ultimately succeed in having a child, Damien, who ended up replacing Satan, who tired of his job. Phuphus was utterly destroyed in the process, along with his/het brother Biffron (Death) - I mean completely removed from the creation - and thus replaced by Marie-Jolie. MJ also got pregnant, with 5 children, 2 with a Demon Prince (there are a lot of rumors concerning the identity of the father) and 1 with a woman.

I am pretty sure I can find other curiosities in the official background...

Also, I wondered how did IN managed the geographical implementation of the forces of Heaven and Hell. For instance, in INS/MV, the HQ of the forces of Heaven is the cathedral of Paris. And God is in holydays in La Bourboule, famous for its thermal cure. I guess they changed this aspect of the background in IN ? Unfortunately this game can not be found in hops in France...

Riffington
2008-11-19, 04:24 PM
Nog has been eaten :smallconfused: ?

Well, it's not a straight-up port, so you'll have to tell me about Nog.
But they wanted to show that Hell is dynamic. And having a Prince of the Media meant that some of Sloth's territory got taken...

Also, I wondered how did IN managed the geographical implementation of the forces of Heaven and Hell. For instance, in INS/MV, the HQ of the forces of Heaven is the cathedral of Paris. And God is in holydays in La Bourboule, famous for its thermal cure. I guess they changed this aspect of the background in IN ? Unfortunately this game can not be found in hops in France...
Regarding G-d... the Archangels say He exists, but nobody's heard from him in ages.

As to headquarters, Earth is tied to Heaven or Hell (or even to the Etherial Realm) at various places called Tethers, where great or terrible deeds happened; it does take a little Celestial effort to keep the link open, but only mortals can create one in the first place.

So Notre Dame may be a powerful tether to the domain of Laurence - Archangel of the Sword, but there are many other such tethers. In whatever city you want to play, you should put at least one Angelic and one Demonic tether (more for a very large city). An official book can be obtained at http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/Tethers/

Abbott
2008-11-19, 04:37 PM
Yup, Heaven and Hell lie outside of the mundane world. You get to it either by just ascending or using a Tether, a place where something something sufficiently Heavenly or Hellish has occured to form a sort of a fortress with a more or less permanent Gate to either Higher Plane.

Riffington
2008-11-20, 02:40 PM
considering the situation of the market in France.

What is the situation of the market in France, by the way?