PDA

View Full Version : Soul Eater Redux [PrC]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-11-18, 11:05 PM
Soul Eater (Redux)
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/82992.jpg
Saashan, kajubaan (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85658) soul eater

HD: d8

Requirements
Race: Any outsider with the evil subtype or undead
Alignment: Any evil
BAB: +7
Skills: Intimidate 10 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 2 ranks, Martial Lore 2 ranks
Feats: Weapon Focus (any natural or Dread Crown discipline associated weapon) and Vile Martial Strike or Vile Natural Attack
Maneuvers: Ability to use one maneuver and one stance of the Dread Crown (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76218) discipline.
Special: You must sign your soul or essense over to the power of some kind of creature or great malevolence, in most cases this creature grants you the powers of this class.

Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Martial Lore, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim and Tumble
Skill-points per level: 4+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Dread consumption stance, soul and sword
2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Soul rage
3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|--
4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Soul slave
5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Dread recharge
6th|+6|+5|+5|+2|Malign protection
7th|+7|+5|+5|+2|Soul resistance
8th|+8|+6|+6|+2|--
9th|+9|+6|+6|+3|Blasphemous call
10th|+10|+7|+7|+3|Sortilegic wrath
[/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
1st|1|0|0
2nd|0|1|0
3rd|1|0|0
4th|0|0|1
5th|1|0|0
6th|0|1|0
7th|1|0|0
8th|0|0|1
9th|1|0|0
10th|0|1|0
[/table]

Weapon and armor proficiencies: Soul eaters do not gain any additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Maneuvers: At 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th levels, a soul eater gains new maneuvers known from the Dread Crown (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76218), Shadow Hand or Tiger Claw disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full soul eater levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
If you do not already have a class capable of regaining maneuvers, you gain the ability to regain your maneuvers as a Swordsage would.
At 2nd, 6th and 10th levels, you gain additional maneuvers readied per encounter.

Stances Known: At 4th and 8th levels, you learn a new martial stance from the Dread Crown (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76218), Shadow Hand or Tiger Claw disciplines. You must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Dread Consumption Stance (Su): At first level, the soul eater knows instinctively how to rip bits of the soul from it's victims while in this supernatural stance. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any Dread Crown or Shadow Hand stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. While in this stance, any time you deal damage with any natural or Dread Crown associated weapon, you bestow one negative level upon the target, but you are only capable of dealing out one negative level per round. These negative levels stack but never lead to actual level loss, the negative levels dissolving after a number of hours equal to your soul eater level. A character that receives as many negative levels equal to their level or HD immediately dies.
Additionally, you must be in this stance to benefit from many of the class features granted by this class, as noted in each individual class feature entry.
At 7th level, you deal 2 negative levels per round instead of 1.

Soul and Sword (Ex): At first level, your ability to create magic both supernaturally and martially are enhanced. From this point on, all Outsider and Undead HD you have or will receive count for your full initiator level, as opposed to the normal half. Additionally, your caster level for all spell-like and supernatural abilities with an equivalent caster level are increased by your soul eater level.

Soul Rage (Su): At 2nd level, you are capable of flying into a terrible rage fueled by the power of the souls you've drained. I've you've dealt at least 2 negative levels in the past 24 hours, you are capable of using the rage ability of a barbarian of a level equal to your soul-eater level. You can rage as many times per day equal to the amount of victims you've killed in the past 24 hours, but still only once per encounter. Unlike a normal barbarian rage, you are capable of using spell-like abilities, but not spells. You must be in the dread consumption stance to use this ability.
Undead are a special case with this ability, because they do not have a Con score, their rage lasts 3+Cha modifier rounds, and grants fast healing equal to the amount the character's Con score would have been increased. This ability, however, does not increase the creature's Cha score.

Soul Slave (Su): At 4th level, you are capable of enslaving the bodies of the souls you have collected. Whenever you bestow enough negative levels or deal enough hit point damage to a living, corporeal foe to bring them to death, they rise the next round as a skeleton or zombie(your choice) under your control. You can only have as many HD in undead under your control with this ability equal to twice your initiator level. You must be in the soul consumption stance for this ability to function, but the undead remain if you leave the stance.
Undead creatures you enslave by virtue of this ability do not last as long as the normal undead made through the animate dead spell, and crumble into dust 24 hours after their creation.

Dread Recharge (Su): At 5th level, you are capable of regaining your martial powers with each kill you gain. Whenever you fell a foe in melee, you can take a swift action to regain all expended maneuvers, and an additional readied maneuver for the duration of the encounter.

Malign Protection (Su): At 6th level, whenever a soul eater deals at least 6 negative levels in the past 24 hours, it can grant itself a powerful ward against good and many magical effects. It is surrounded by an aura of protection that acts as a magic circle against good and a globe of invulnerability, both with a radius of 20 feet centered on the soul eater. This aura can be dispelled (caster level equal to initiator level) but can also be reactivated as a free action by the soul eater on it's next turn.

Soul Resistance (Su): At 7th level, you use the power of the souls you drain to make you more resistant to the dangers of the world around you. You gain a profane bonus to armor class and saving throws equal to +1 per 2 negative levels you've dealt in the past 24 hours, with a max to both equal to +5.

Blasphemous Call (Sp): At 9th level, a soul-eater can recycle the portions of soul it has harvested and turn it into a dread incantation. If the soul eater has bestowed at least 9 negative levels in the past 24 hours, it is capable of using blasphemy as a spell-like ability once per round with a caster level equal to it's initiator level or caster level, whichever is higher. The soul eater is only capable of using this blasphemy as many times a day equal to the number of negative levels it's bestowed in the past 24 hours. Unlike normal spell-like abilities, this one requires a verbal component. You must be in the soul consumption stance to use this ability.

Sortilegic Wrath (Sp): At 10th level, the soul eater is capable of transforming the power of the consumed souls into powerful magic. By reducing the effective souls they've consumed in the past 24 hours by 10, the soul eater is capable of using one 9th level spells from the list below. By meditating for 24 hours, the soul eater is capable of changing what spell they are capable of using. You cannot reduce the effective number of souls you've consumed to less than 0. You must be in the soul consumption stance to use this ability.

Spells: Abyssal Army*, Antipathy, Astral Projection, Black Blade of Disaster*, Detonate, Dominate Monster, Energy Drain, Enervating Breath*, Etherealness, Foresight, Gate(evil planes only), Hellish Hoard*, Hindsight*, Hunter of Hades*, Implosion, Imprisonment, Magic Miasma*, Meteor Swarm, Plague of Undead*, Power Word Kill, Reaving Dispel*, Soul Bind, Sphere of Ultimate Destruction*, Storm of Vengeance, Summon Monster IX(evil only), Time Stop, Transmute Rock to Lava*, Vile Death*, Wail of the Banshee, Weird.
*Spell can be found in the Spell Compendium.

SurlySeraph
2008-11-18, 11:45 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/funny-pictures-basement-cat-eats-souls.jpg

Now that I've gotten that out of the way...

The focus on this is a lot different from the original Soul Eater. It's about gaining benefits more than just killing the hell out of things. I'm not sure I like that the limit on levels drained per round, but it definitely makes things more balanced.

Stycotl
2008-11-19, 01:16 AM
i like the direction this is going. i have been fiddling around with soul-eating/trading/etc, and though this is a different direction, it looks good.

biggest thing that i think it needs is a homebrewed revamp of the spirit sense feat. talk about a weak feat. we can make flavor without having to cost someone a feat for it.

second, i really like soul and sword. cool effect.

third, i think that sortilegic wrath needs to have a predtermined spell list that is chosen from. i'd probably go with a few cleric domain lists, but that is just me. if left open, it is waaaay too abusable in my opinion. i understand that this is a rare, hard-to-execute casting, but i still think it is too abusable. but also, there are a billion spells out there that are now open to this guy, and the majority of them have absolutely nothing to do with the guy's penchant for eating souls.

The mighty kajubaan then consumes the essence of the recently slain, and from the black pits of hell, summons...

tinkerbell.

sure, she might be the 9th-lvl spell of badassedness that is here to wallop the pants right off of the soul eater's enemies--but she doesn't fit the portfolio.

other than that, very cool. as always.

aaron out.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-11-19, 03:17 AM
i like the direction this is going. i have been fiddling around with soul-eating/trading/etc, and though this is a different direction, it looks good.

biggest thing that i think it needs is a homebrewed revamp of the spirit sense feat. talk about a weak feat. we can make flavor without having to cost someone a feat for it.

What about a version that allowed you to see invisible and ethereal incorporeal creatures on top of what it gives?

third, i think that sortilegic wrath needs to have a predtermined spell list that is chosen from. i'd probably go with a few cleric domain lists, but that is just me. if left open, it is waaaay too abusable in my opinion. i understand that this is a rare, hard-to-execute casting, but i still think it is too abusable. but also, there are a billion spells out there that are now open to this guy, and the majority of them have absolutely nothing to do with the guy's penchant for eating souls.

The mighty kajubaan then consumes the essence of the recently slain, and from the black pits of hell, summons...

tinkerbell.

sure, she might be the 9th-lvl spell of badassedness that is here to wallop the pants right off of the soul eater's enemies--but she doesn't fit the portfolio.

other than that, very cool. as always.

aaron out.

I could probably just make a list of awesome and suiting spells for the class.

Stycotl
2008-11-19, 07:49 PM
What about a version that allowed you to see invisible and ethereal incorporeal creatures on top of what it gives?

if you automatically see them, it sounds a little too good to me, though there could be a variant that would work. maybe you have the possibility to see them; you roll a spot or listen check with a +4 bonus in order to notice ethereal/incorporeal/invisible creatures, and if you notice them, you can see them normally. additionally, you can communicate with any of the above creatures whether or not you share a language--empathic communication or something.

hmm, i might have to write this up now...

I could probably just make a list of awesome and suiting spells for the class.

sounds cool to me.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-11-19, 07:50 PM
I decided to just switch out Spirit Sense for Vile Martial Strike or Vile Natural Attack.

Stycotl
2008-11-19, 08:04 PM
fitting. looks good.