DeviledEggs
2008-11-18, 11:27 PM
The lime green ones she didn't like?

Lira
2008-11-18, 11:29 PM
It seems likely.

Blue Ghost
2008-11-18, 11:36 PM
Perhaps. But I doubt Haley had Boots of Speed back when she was 19, with them being such powerful magic items and all. The way I read her statements about the Boots of Speed, I figured that she chose not to take them.
I believe that those boots are not the Boots of Speed, but Haley's bad memories from those boots were a large reason that she did not take the Boots of Speed.

Kranden
2008-11-18, 11:53 PM
No obviously, its just a coincidence.

What the hell do you think!

Don't take it too seriously its just a little joke :smallwink:

Gargor
2008-11-19, 12:01 AM
Most likely.

Lord_Ventnor
2008-11-19, 12:23 AM
Perhaps. Who can really say? (Well, besides Mr. Burlew, of course)

mockingbyrd7
2008-11-19, 12:30 AM
Darn, you beat me to it, DeviledEggs. :smallbiggrin:

Ramien
2008-11-19, 12:31 AM
Perhaps. But I doubt Haley had Boots of Speed back when she was 19, with them being such powerful magic items and all. The way I read her statements about the Boots of Speed, I figured that she chose not to take them.
I believe that those boots are not the Boots of Speed, but Haley's bad memories from those boots were a large reason that she did not take the Boots of Speed.

They could very well be the boots, though. Her dad was influential in the guild at the time, after all.

bdh5533
2008-11-19, 01:28 AM
Clearly these are the infamous boots of speed that were "totally lime green."

what better way to make a woman doubt the fashion sense of something than to compliment it!

crystal complimenting the boots was the straw that broke the camels back on whether it was worth it or not to use the unfashionable, but very beneficial boots.

edit* also human starting age can be as low as 16 i believe so by 19 you could easy be the appropriate level. adn as mentioned if daddy is the leader the girl is surely going to get some nice gifts

King of Nowhere
2008-11-19, 03:07 AM
For the very first time, I understand why she put them back. But couldn't she have painted them? I don't think that would block the magic.

Also, it seems that between the dark mistress and the Haley we know, she had at least another phase. I wonder how much changes in personality Haley got.

David Argall
2008-11-19, 03:10 AM

We have Celia's testimony that lime green boots are simply not for Haley, boots of speed or not. It's possible that we are talking about two sets of boots, but it seems more likely Haley's dad found them at the ladies magic botique remainder sale and, being male, saw a perfectly usable set of boots instead of a fashion nightmare.

Nekobasu
2008-11-19, 06:56 AM
Whether they're the actual boots in question, or just similar boots which put her off lime green for life, we should give a small round of applause for a pretty funny pay-off of the longest running gag in the strip!

pjackson
2008-11-19, 07:05 AM
it seems more likely Haley's dad found them at the ladies magic botique remainder sale and, being male, saw a perfectly usable set of boots instead of a fashion nightmare.

How dare you! I was going to write that, but you got in first and did it better :smallsmile:

Evil DM Mark3
2008-11-19, 07:07 AM

+1. This makes most sense.

Linkavitch
2008-11-19, 02:04 PM
Well, considering Crystal said "Nice boots", meaning she likes them, and Haley hates Crystal, that could be a reason why Haley doesn't have the boots now, 'cuz they look similar.

keilyn
2008-11-19, 02:08 PM
Well, considering Crystal said "Nice boots", meaning she likes them, and Haley hates Crystal, that could be a reason why Haley doesn't have the boots now, 'cuz they look similar.

Or, as I assumed reading the comment, they were each being sarcastic, and it took them a moment to realize it. Who knows.

Oxymoron
2008-11-19, 02:23 PM
Damn, you guys beat me to it. But i absolutly think these were the shoes she was talking about earlier.

Ramien
2008-11-19, 02:23 PM
We have Celia's testimony that lime green boots are simply not for Haley, boots of speed or not. It's possible that we are talking about two sets of boots, but it seems more likely Haley's dad found them at the ladies magic botique remainder sale and, being male, saw a perfectly usable set of boots instead of a fashion nightmare.

'Sale' In this case meaning 'was breaking into the boutique and decided to apply a five-finger discount', of course.

archon_huskie
2008-11-19, 05:05 PM
Allow me to offer a different perspective.

Crystal has a bad hair cut.
Haley is wearing Lime Green boots.

Crystal: "... Nice Boots." (She insulted Haley)
Haley: "Nice Hair." (She insulted Crystal)

The girls found something the other was insecure about and mocked the other for it. That's why they hate each other.

SilentNight
2008-11-19, 06:11 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing when I read it for the second time.

JaxGaret
2008-11-19, 11:23 PM
Or, as I assumed reading the comment, they were each being sarcastic, and it took them a moment to realize it. Who knows.

That's exactly how I read it, except they both realized it pretty much immediately.

It was hate at first sight.

amuletts
2008-11-19, 11:35 PM
Allow me to offer a different perspective.

Crystal has a bad hair cut.
Haley is wearing Lime Green boots.

Crystal: "... Nice Boots." (She insulted Haley)
Haley: "Nice Hair." (She insulted Crystal)

The girls found something the other was insecure about and mocked the other for it. That's why they hate each other.

This seems to make sense to me. I did think of the boots of speed the moment I saw the boots. But I think the main point of them being that color is because it has already been established that Haley does not like it.