PDA

View Full Version : Most Creative Cleric and/or Paladin

Lycan 01
2008-11-19, 12:39 AM
So I was talking to my roommate earlier, trying to convince him to play DnD. Somehow, we got on the topic of Clerics and Paladins, and we started joking about crazy Deities they could worship and fight for. And, well... We reached a hilarious agreement.

Apparently, I'm get to DM a solo session for him at some point this week, in which he will be playing as a Cleric of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. :smallbiggrin:

So, I'm curious. What sort of crazy Deities and stuff have you and your players come up with for their Clerics and Paladins to worship? Cthulhu? Banjo? Christopher Walken?

Better yet, what sort of crazy ideas have you or your DMs allowed? :smallamused:

ClericofPhwarrr
2008-11-19, 12:43 AM
So, I'm curious. What sort of crazy Deities and stuff have you and your players come up with for their Clerics and Paladins to worship? Cthulhu? Banjo? Christopher Walken?

Better yet, what sort of crazy ideas have you or your DMs allowed? :smallamused:

I allowed a player with a dwarf cleric to worship himself--specifically, his extreme level of badassitude.

He changed his mind, and decided to venerate the warrior spirits of his ancestors. Which ended up being pretty cool, especially the way he roleplayed Commune.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-19, 12:47 AM
My friend once played a halfling Paladin of Sehanine, in her capacity as 4th Edition Generic goddess of lovers and the night. I missed seeing it, but he was basically a 4-foot sword-swinging Love Machine, apparently. Ever read Discworld? Remember Casanunda? Yeah.

BobVosh
2008-11-19, 12:50 AM
http://newgodsofmankind.com/
I played this game in beta, and had a god.

I played in a friends game who also beta'd it. So I played a cleric to my own god. Funny part is we got partly into spelljammer, and due to the way the gods work in NGoM I didn't have the divine spellfailure chance.

streakster
2008-11-19, 12:51 AM
I so want to replicate Father Alexander Anderson in a game sometime.

Lycan 01
2008-11-19, 12:54 AM

My thoughts exactly. :smallbiggrin:

Actually, my Call of Cthulhu character is basically Father Grigori from Half-Life 2 with a slight pinch of Father Anderson thrown into the mix... :smallamused:

Mikeavelli
2008-11-19, 12:55 AM
I didn't come up with this one

(Hell, I think it came from these boards originally!)

But the best Paladin I'd ever heard of was a Paladin of the Harmonium (Planescape faction, essentially believes that everyone should work together in a supremely lawful, harmonious way) dual-wielding a hammer and sickle. Red Full Plate completes the ensemble.

SurlySeraph
2008-11-19, 01:00 AM

You aren't the only one. (http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsanime/hellsing/hellalexander.html)

And now for something completely different: a paladin who was captured by illithids, had his will broken over the course of years, and became a Blackguard worshipping the illithid god Ilsenine. Since illithids are technically from another plane, they counted for the "friendly contact with an evil outsider" clause of the Blackguard requirements.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-19, 01:00 AM
I created a magic-user in AFMBE that was a stage magician and never said whether the magic was real or fake.

Keld Denar
2008-11-19, 01:19 AM
Once had a player play a cleric of Micheal Jordan, the god of AIR, in a farce campaign. Was humerous for a while, I'll admit.

Eclipse
2008-11-19, 01:31 AM
I was thinking about running an OOTS style game at some point. That is to say, a game in which the characters know all about the rules of D&D... well, at least as much as the players know.

In this game, one of my players was going to be a cleric of the almighty Dungeon Master. Clearly, he was of an evil alignment. DMs are always evil.

I also let someone worship the killer bunny from Monty Python and the Holy Grail during the first game I ran. It was going to be insane anyway, so why not go all out?

TempusCCK
2008-11-19, 01:57 AM
A neat idea would be a traditional D&D game with a Cleric who believes that life itself creates a tangible and very powerful emanation that when tapped into, can guide and perform very powerful effects. He'd obviously have to carry some sort of ridiculously powerful two handed sword that his order required him to build before he initiated.

Eh, instead of cleric, probably better go with a paladin homebrew...

We'll call the order the Sedi, and they'll be the protectors and enforcers of the galaxy, err, the land.

KnightDisciple
2008-11-19, 03:20 AM
Well, I haven't played it, or seen it played, but the idea is just too awesome...

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7935/clericofkaminamu6.jpg
Seriously, who wouldn't want to play one?

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-19, 04:35 AM
Thanks to a botched Knowledge (Religion) check, we were under the belief that the clerics we fought were worshippers of the fluffy bunny god of waugther and wuv.

He was really Nerull.

starwoof
2008-11-19, 04:39 AM
Once, when I was playing with my tertiary party, I told a story about one of the players in one of my PbP campaigns. The party thought it was so badass that the cleric decided that he would worship a guy I met on the internet because he met Gary Gygax once.

We are such nerds.:smalltongue:

kamikasei
2008-11-19, 05:25 AM
I had a player who wanted to worship Richard Dawkins once. I pointed out he wasn't a member of the setting's pantheon. Same player may have put down "Larry Wall" as another character's deity.

Since illithids are technically from another plane, they counted for the "friendly contact with an evil outsider" clause of the Blackguard requirements.

Being from another plane makes you [extraplanar], not an outsider.

Ravens_cry
2008-11-19, 06:01 AM
I want to play as a cleric fluffed as a barbarian princess who believes in herself, literally. Her goal in life is to replace the present god of slaughter with herself. It actually means leveling makes sense because over time her powers grow as more and more people worship her, in turn attracting more worshipers. I plan to write all sorts of short stirring speeches, and see if I can get the DM to actually perform them real-time.
It will have to wait until I am experienced enough as a role player myself to take the Leadership feat and do well by it.
That 'be a god' rpg btw sounds like something my massively over sized ego could enjoy.

Hal
2008-11-19, 07:02 AM
I was thinking about running an OOTS style game at some point. That is to say, a game in which the characters know all about the rules of D&D... well, at least as much as the players know.

In this game, one of my players was going to be a cleric of the almighty Dungeon Master. Clearly, he was of an evil alignment. DMs are always evil.

I also let someone worship the killer bunny from Monty Python and the Holy Grail during the first game I ran. It was going to be insane anyway, so why not go all out?

Not a new idea, per se. (http://www.goblinscomic.com/d/20050715.html)

kladams707
2008-11-19, 07:40 AM
one of my DMs came up w/ "Ericthor", even more uncaring than boccob.

Totally Guy
2008-11-19, 07:42 AM
I'm planning on using a cleric as a BBEG. He'll be the leader of a Land named Idaloren which is an established location but not properly designed yet. I then thought and thought about the name... and decided that their neighbours named the city after the false idols they worship.

In the city there will be 3 temples.
The Temple of Love.
The Temple of Truth.
And the Temple of Peace.

I've lifted these straight out of 1984 by George Orwell. But I'm going to use this to establish what kind of baddie this ruler is and what kind of concepts, not deities, he worships.

It needs some work but I think I have a full session to get through before the players approach his lands.

Edit: Oh! I missed the temple of Plenty!

Lord_Gareth
2008-11-19, 08:06 AM
I would like to take this time to point out that, unless the DM says otherwise and/or you're in the Forgotten Realms, a paladin draws power from his or her alignment, and not from gods.

That said, I had a reformed villain paladin once - exalted feats and everything, but my god she acted like the most evil bitch you ever met - at least, she talked like it. Her most famous quote was uttered when we were saving the female wizard from being a virgin sacrifice to a dark god - "You call yourselves evil? You haven't even raped her yet!"

(The wizard slept with at least three princes afterwards. Ironically, the paladin was then captured to be the next virign sacrifice, for which she blamed the wizard).

valadil
2008-11-19, 08:24 AM
I saw another player run an atheist cleric. His justification was that a god tricked him into it with false explanations of how divine magic really works, while providing the divine magic as usual. I can't remember if the god had any motivations of his own.

I once played a cloister cleric who was a casual worshipper of Mystra and believed himself to be a wizard. Spontaneous access to the force domain helped with that tremendously.

DigoDragon
2008-11-19, 10:32 AM
I've had an evil cleric worship a jar with a pickled cat in it. The PCs had no idea how that worked since my character still got spells from it. After some unfortunate events my character was killed, but the jar survived and the players decided to break it open for curiosity's sake.

They figured curiosity killed the cat, but in this case the cat was already dead and pickled so they had nothing to loose. :smallamused:

SurlySeraph
2008-11-19, 12:57 PM
Being from another plane makes you [extraplanar], not an outsider.

I know. But the DM said it counted, and his word is law.

vegetalss4
2008-11-19, 02:03 PM
I know. But the DM said it counted, and his word is law.

QFT
now the closest i have had was a sorcerer that acted more like a cleric than the cleric, and that thanks to taint for a short while realised that he where only a charecter in a roleplaying game. ah good times

Nohwl
2008-11-19, 02:07 PM
i had a cleric that worshipped sephiroth once. that was a fun character.

Ganurath
2008-11-19, 02:42 PM
Boccob, with emphasis on the title of The Uncaring. He still hasn't bothered to learn the names of his teammates.

Lemur
2008-11-19, 03:13 PM
I had a cleric who was the sole believer in his patron deity, ala Terry Pratchett's Small Gods. The god presumably followed him around during the game, although no one was able to see him except the cleric. I had a lot of fun looking at my shoulder and talking into nothingness, as the cleric and his deity would have "conversations" with each other, which were rather one-sided to anyone watching.

Prometheus
2008-11-19, 03:17 PM
I had a character who was a deist. I was floored. The whole point of D&D religion is to be a completely ridiculous and that was just too reasonable for me. It's like trying to play a natural scientist in a magic world (actually, come to think of it that's not entirely inaccurate in RL either).

WinterSolstice
2008-11-19, 03:29 PM
Well, I haven't played it, or seen it played, but the idea is just too awesome...

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7935/clericofkaminamu6.jpg
Seriously, who wouldn't want to play one?

you forgot a few chief commandments!:smallbiggrin:
-Surpass the Impossible and Kick off with momentum!
-Whether Impossible or Laughable, great men open up paths of battle!

and don't forget his warcry...er battle-prayer
WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!
(or
ORE WA DARE DATTO OMOTTE YAGARU?! if you prefer the original)

Lycan 01
2008-11-19, 03:37 PM
I totally don't get the reference... :smallfrown:

vicente408
2008-11-19, 03:47 PM
I totally don't get the reference... :smallfrown:

Change your life. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TengenToppaGurrenLagann)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-19, 08:48 PM
I had a cleric who was the sole believer in his patron deity, ala Terry Pratchett's Small Gods. The god presumably followed him around during the game, although no one was able to see him except the cleric. I had a lot of fun looking at my shoulder and talking into nothingness, as the cleric and his deity would have "conversations" with each other, which were rather one-sided to anyone watching.One of my friends has that in our AQ (http://www.aquest.com/AQJAERNdownload.htm) game. He was present at the birth of a god, so it follows him around and his actions will determine it's portfolio. It doesn't actually do anything right now except grant a few generic low-level spells and make it so if anyone casts Detect Divinity around him they're blinded for 5 minutes, but it's very fun.

mabriss lethe
2008-11-19, 11:20 PM
Lemme see.

There was the cleric who "worshiped" the empty spot in the cosmology where an insane god once stood before his cult betrayed and murdered their own patron deity.

The Glyphstone
2008-11-19, 11:49 PM
and don't forget his warcry...er battle-prayer
WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!
(or
ORE WA DARE DATTO OMOTTE YAGARU?! if you prefer the original)

So, he's the patron god of Frank MillarBatman wizards?

amanamana
2008-11-20, 12:08 AM
Well, that's the cleric of Joe Pesci:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8evsSNdXcs
:smallbiggrin:

Ganurath
2008-11-20, 12:30 AM
So, he's the patron god of Frank MillarBatman wizards?Kamina > Batman, considering the latter wouldn't stand up to a giant mech with nothing but a katana, and the former had a cause he was willing to die for.