View Full Version : Gestalt Arena Test Match - Marshall vs Jain

theterran
2008-11-19, 10:47 AM
A towering figure in a dark robe enters the room where you have been milling around sizing up the competition. His face is completely obscured by his hood. He raises both hands to get your attention and speaks in a deep voice.
Sam, Camael. You have been chosen to fight. Prepare yourselves!
With that he brings his hands down and the two of you find yourself transported to the arena (http://excessivefreetime.org/arena/arena3.html)

OOC:
You've got time for one swift action and one standard action before you get transported in case you need to adopt a stance or activate an item.

On the map, green is open terrain, yellow is difficult terrain, red/brown is the cliffs (10ft, Climb DC20, blocks LoS). Arena has a 60 foot ceiling.

Opening post should have an initiative roll, anything you said after he called your name and what, if anything you did with the 'surprise round' before being transported. After that, start fighting in initiative order.

((For simplicities sake, you start in A40 and I'll Start in AN1...that work?))

theterran
2008-11-19, 10:58 AM
Marshall - Surprise Round

[roll0]

Actions:
Standard - Activate Ring of Invisibility
Swift - Activate Immortal Fortitude Stance

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 11:05 AM
OOC: I'm game.

Initiative:
[roll0]

Standard action:
Activate Skin of the Celestial Embrace. (Sprouts wings, eyes start glowing, the whole nine yards.)
Swift action to activate stance:
Blood in the water.

Maneuvers readied:

Counter Charge
Cloak of Deception
Action before Thought
Mind over body.

The places work for me.

IC:

"Your time on this plane of existance has expired. Prepare for swift departure."

(:smallwink:)

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 11:14 AM
I believe that makes it my turn. Very well... I believe that we do not have LoS, due to that nasty cliff in front of you.

Actions:

Activate Boots of Speed, free action. Fly to the height of 45 ft, remaining in the same spot. Ready an action to fire upon LoS.

If you at any point come from behind the cliff, I believe we will have LoS, in which case you can open the spoiler. (Even thought it contains some other information as well).

Your turn.

theterran
2008-11-19, 11:25 AM
Crap...I forgot to list my readied maneuvers...all 23 of them :smallannoyed:
I just marked them on my sheet...:smallsigh:

Will post moves momentarily..

theterran
2008-11-19, 11:43 AM
If you can see invisible things, you can see me in square:
15ft up in AH7

Otherwise, it's your go!

Stats:
HP:144/144
AC: 32 Touch: 19 FF: 27
In Hands: Rapiers
Stance(s): Immortal Fortitude
Crusader Stances Granted (# marked on Sheet):
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 11:54 AM
Ok. Jain continues to ascend to heavens, going up 180 feet, to a total of 225 feet. Still in the square A40.

Through the run-action.

The ball's in your court now.

theterran
2008-11-19, 11:57 AM
There's a 60ft Ceiling on the Arena...might want to redo your action :smallwink:

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 12:00 PM
Ah, my bad. I thought the limit was never established.

Anyways... Move action to move to the limit, standard action to:
Use Holy Aura spell-like ability.

Your turn.

Stats:

AC: 36 + 4 (holy aura) + 3 (stats from half-celestial) +1 NA +1 Dodge. = 45
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +18, Will +25.
AB: +31 + 3 +1 =+35
Damage: 1d8+22.

theterran
2008-11-19, 12:03 PM
Actions:
Move up to 55ft High in AH7.

I'm done.

Your go.

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 12:06 PM
Move to A 22.

Other actions:
Ready an action to attack with Mind Arrow on LoS.

End of turn.

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 12:14 PM
Oh, and a reactive Spot check for this turn if you at any point come within 30 feet. Might as well also roll for Listen, opposed by your Move silently.

Spot:
[roll0]
Listen:
[roll1]

theterran
2008-11-19, 12:16 PM
Actions:
Move to T7 60ft up.

Your go.

I'm not within 30ft. :smallwink:

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 12:34 PM
Move to A4.

Other actions:

You're up.

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 12:38 PM
Forgot:
Spot:
[roll0]
Listen:
[roll1]

I hope you're rolling those Move silently checks in the spoilers...

theterran
2008-11-19, 01:08 PM
Actions:
Move into I7.

You're up.

CoyoteCode appears to be down so I cannot access my sheet presently...:smallmad:

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 01:20 PM
Move to R4.

Other actions:

Spot:
[roll0]
Listen:
[roll1]

End of turn.

theterran
2008-11-19, 03:01 PM
Actions:
Swift Action: Raging Mongoose

[roll0]
[roll1]

If you are able to pinpoint based on either of these rolls vs your rolls, look into the spoiler below.

Charge At you Into R5 using pounce for a full attack.

Main Weapon Attacks:

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Off-Hand Weapon Attacks:

[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

Turn Not Done, regardless...

theterran
2008-11-19, 03:04 PM
Crap...add +2 to all of those rolls...forgot my charging bonus :smallannoyed:

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 03:06 PM
I believe the DC to pin-point an invisible character is a flat 40, regardless of your hide check.

A creature can generally notice the presence of an active invisible creature within 30 feet with a DC 20 Spot check. The observer gains a hunch that “something’s there” but can’t see it or target it accurately with an attack. A creature who is holding still is very hard to notice (DC 30). An inanimate object, an unliving creature holding still, or a completely immobile creature is even harder to spot (DC 40). It’s practically impossible (+20 DC) to pinpoint an invisible creature’s location with a Spot check, and even if a character succeeds on such a check, the invisible creature still benefits from total concealment (50% miss chance).

Your attacks only negate dexterity to AC, yes?

EDIT: Which would mean that only attacks that exceed 38 would hit.

AC breakdown:
10 + 10 armor + 12 Wis + 4 Def + 1 NA + 1 Dodge.

theterran
2008-11-19, 03:06 PM
:smallmad:
Only 1 Crit

[roll0]
[roll1]

(You loose a level for each crit)

(edit)

Again, forgot the Charging bonus :smallfurious:

theterran
2008-11-19, 03:07 PM
I believe the DC to pin-point an invisible character is a flat 40, regardless of your hide check.

Your attacks only negate dexterity to AC, yes?

Yes, just Dex.

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 03:11 PM
I take 10 damage, am I correct? Is it my turn now?

theterran
2008-11-19, 03:11 PM
I forgot the charging bonus on the Crit Confirm as well...would that make it hit?

If so you loose a level.

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 03:12 PM
No. The AC without Dex is 38, I believe.

theterran
2008-11-19, 03:14 PM
Then it's 9 damage...:smallsigh:

theterran
2008-11-19, 03:15 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how did you get your AC that high?

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 03:19 PM
Then it's my turn. A 5-foot 'step' back and here we go...

A flurry of gleaming arrows of force materialize on Jain's fingertips and shoot forward to stab you.

Attack #1:
[roll0]
Damage #1:
[roll1]

Attack #2:
[roll2]
Damage #2:
[roll3]

Attack #3:
[roll4]
Damage #3:
[roll5]

Attack #4:
[roll6]
Damage #1:
[roll7]

Attack #5:
[roll8]
Damage #5:
[roll9]

Also, each arrow is Wounding, and if memory serves correct, deals 1 point of Con damage. And due to Seeking, concealment is negated.

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 03:20 PM
Damnit, sorry, wrote 1d20 instead of 1d8 on damage. Fixing that right away.

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 03:22 PM
Damage #1:
[roll0]

Damage #2:
[roll1]

Damage #3:
[roll2]

Damage #4:
[roll3]

Damage #5:
[roll4]

And I think I saw a critical there...
Confirm:
[roll5]
Damage:
[roll6]

EDIT:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get your AC that high?
You can look into the AC break-down in the spoiler at one of my posts back there after the match.

theterran
2008-11-19, 03:25 PM
LoL...I think that finished me...:smalleek:

(edit) What's Holy Aura From?

And I think I need to rethink my character somewhat...:smallannoyed:

theterran
2008-11-19, 03:31 PM
Also, how did you get your Wisdom so High? +6 Periapt, +2 Race, +3 Level...

What am I missing, cause that still leaves you at 19 Wis...

(I'm not criticizing, I'm just trying to learn :smallsmile:)

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 03:34 PM
Also, how did you get your Wisdom so High? +6 Periapt, +2 Race, +3 Level...

What am I missing, cause that still leaves you at 19 Wis...

(I'm not criticizing, I'm just trying to learn :smallsmile:)

Bear with me, it's been a while since I made this character.

Wisdom:
18 base + 2 race + 3 level + 6 periapt + 1 age = 30. I also used Skin of Celestial Embrace to gain the Half-celestial template, another +4 to Wis. Holy Aura is from the half-celestial template as well.

AC:
10 + 10 armor + 12 Wis + 4 Def + 1 NA + 1 Dodge + 4 Dex = 42.

theterran
2008-11-19, 03:35 PM
Bear with me, it's been a while since I made this character.

Wisdom:
18 base + 2 race + 3 level + 6 periapt + 1 age = 30. I also used Skin of Celestial Embrace to gain the Half-celestial template, another +4 to Wis. Holy Aura is from the half-celestial template as well.

What book is the Celestial Half-Template in?

I'm beginning to think I'm doing Archery all wrong...:smallsmile:

(edit)

Oh, and where does the +20 on your arrows come from?

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 03:36 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfCelestial.htm

There you go. The Skin is from Complete Psionic.

theterran
2008-11-19, 03:37 PM
Oh, and where does the +20 on your arrows come from?

Since you Ninja'd my edit :smallwink:

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 03:39 PM
The damage, you mean?

1d8 + 4 enhancement + 12 Wis + 5 Collision + 1 Braces of Archery, Greater = 1d8+22.

theterran
2008-11-19, 03:39 PM
You do realize that the Half Celestial Template adds +4 to the LA?

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 03:41 PM
You do realize that the Half Celestial Template adds +4 to the LA?

It's a magic item that temporarily grants you the effects of the template for 15 rounds. I don't think you apply LA from that? It cost me majority of my wealth, anyway.

theterran
2008-11-19, 03:41 PM
The damage, you mean?

1d8 + 4 enhancement + 12 Wis + 5 Collision + 1 Braces of Archery, Greater = 1d8+22.

What let you add Wis to your damage modifiers?

And disregard my previous post...the skin LETS you take on the template :smallsmile:

Adumbration
2008-11-19, 03:42 PM
What let you add Wis to your damage modifiers?

And disregard my previous post...the skin LETS you take on the template :smallsmile:

Soulbow class feature. I love that class. It actually makes archers cool and useful. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Anyway, I'm off now. I've got an exam tomorrow, and I gotta go to sleep.

theterran
2008-11-19, 03:49 PM
Soulbow class feature. I love that class. It actually makes archers cool and useful. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Anyway, I'm off now. I've got an exam tomorrow, and I gotta go to sleep.

Alright,

Thanks for the match...I think I'm going to play around with my characters and see what I can come up with...

Don't be surprised if you see a character using some of the same stuff from me...I won't mimic yours entirely though...I have a few other ideas I'd like to try :smallwink:

But I might can my Dvati Idea, depending on how they work against Talic...
He put a +2 LA on Dvati, which hurts :smallannoyed:

Adumbration
2008-11-20, 07:04 AM
Alright,

Thanks for the match...I think I'm going to play around with my characters and see what I can come up with...

Don't be surprised if you see a character using some of the same stuff from me...I won't mimic yours entirely though...I have a few other ideas I'd like to try :smallwink:

But I might can my Dvati Idea, depending on how they work against Talic...
He put a +2 LA on Dvati, which hurts :smallannoyed:

Heh, I don't mind. :smallwink: It's very satisfying to see that the character turned out pretty much as I wanted. I think I have to get some way of seeing invisible, since it pretty much cramps the idea of shooting your enemies from a distance, if I have to wait until they come within 30 feet.

Too bad I don't have MiC, the mask looks nice.

theterran
2008-11-20, 11:19 AM
Yeah...the mask is nice...but there are other items that grant see invisibility as well...or, I could just PM you the specs to the mask :smallwink:

Adumbration
2008-11-20, 12:21 PM
Yeah...the mask is nice...but there are other items that grant see invisibility as well...or, I could just PM you the specs to the mask :smallwink:

Thanks for reminding me, by the way. I had all but forgotten the Hand of Glory, the core see invisibility item. And it costs 8k, just about right for my budget. I'll ditch Ring of Protection +2 to get it - I can replicate the effect with Holy Aura if necessary.

theterran
2008-11-20, 12:33 PM
I'm working really hard to make my Zen Archer a skirmisher...I think I'll actually make two Zen Archers though...since the concept is new a fun for me :smallbiggrin:

One will be a skirmisher...the other a bard :smallwink:

The skirmisher is using Soulbow...not sure if I'm going to with the bard though...

Did you realize that the Raging Mongoose maneuver from ToB can be used on ranged attacks?

That's what my Dvati are attempting to abuse...

with them, each arrow has the potential do deal (1d8+5 Normal Damage) + (6d6 Fire Damage) + (3d6 Skirmish Damage)...and with Raging Mongoose and a Rapid Shot attack, each one of the Dvati Twins gets 6 attacks...4 at max BAB...:smallwink:

I just gotta get their attack up higher, as +21 you've shown me isn't enough...

Adumbration
2008-11-20, 12:41 PM
I'm working really hard to make my Zen Archer a skirmisher...I think I'll actually make two Zen Archers though...since the concept is new a fun for me :smallbiggrin:

One will be a skirmisher...the other a bard :smallwink:

The skirmisher is using Soulbow...not sure if I'm going to with the bard though...

Did you realize that the Raging Mongoose maneuver from ToB can be used on ranged attacks?

That's what my Dvati are attempting to abuse...

with them, each arrow has the potential do deal (1d8+5 Normal Damage) + (6d6 Fire Damage) + (3d6 Skirmish Damage)...and with Raging Mongoose and a Rapid Shot attack, each one of the Dvati Twins gets 6 attacks...4 at max BAB...:smallwink:

I just gotta get their attack up higher, as +21 you've shown me isn't enough...

Cool. My original plan - when I made this character for the old gestalt tournament - was to use Raging Mongoose, but then I discovered that my Swordsage levels weren't enough, and to get it, I would have to remake my build.

After figuring out the fractional saves for about half an hour, I didn't want to do it again, so I just left it as it was. :smallwink:

theterran
2008-11-20, 01:07 PM
Yeah...I had to read Dancing and Raging Mongoose a few times before it sunk in :smallsmile:

My biggest worry in this is that both my BAB and my AC are going to be too low. I mean...having to roll Nat 20s to hit someone isn't really fun...:smallannoyed:

And with some abusing templates to the point where they have 96 Str...it's just ridiculous...:smallsigh: