PDA

View Full Version : Kobold Campaign

Froogleyboy
2008-11-19, 06:56 PM
Does anyone have an idea for a kobold themed campaign? And could you list some kobold minis for the campaign.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-19, 07:11 PM
I think the first thing you'd have to decide was how serious you wanted the campaign to be. Kobolds kind of have a reputation for being cute comic-relief types, ever since Deekin Scalesinger became famous.

Stupendous_Man
2008-11-19, 07:11 PM
Clerics of Pun-Pun?

Froogleyboy
2008-11-19, 07:13 PM
I wan't it to be serious but I'll probably include some funny charcters and scenes. The characters I'm DMing are 1st lvl

AetherFox
2008-11-19, 07:18 PM
I love kobolds, a lot of the time because they take PC's off guard. Two words:
Class
Levels.

Also look up "Tucker's Kobolds" if you really want to make some tough enemies.

RagnaroksChosen
2008-11-19, 07:19 PM
I love kobold games... We had an awsome kobold and goblin game going for a while... much seriousness and halarity... it was great...

Make sure you allow Dragon magic/dragonomicon and races of dragon and the Kobold web article thing (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a)..
Makes it alot more fun...

Prometheus
2008-11-19, 07:24 PM
Am I the only one who feels as much warmth for kobolds as I do troglodytes?

Actually that's not a bad idea: go with a scaly campaign and allow kobolds, troglodytes, lizardfolk, sahuagin, yuan-ti, or half-dragons.

Lord_Ventnor
2008-11-19, 07:26 PM
Perhaps their tribe is being ruled by a tyrannical dragon and they have to find a way to slay it or something?

monty
2008-11-19, 07:34 PM
There's a simple rule:
Kobolds Do It Better.

In a realistic world, kobolds would rule. Play it like that, where all the major cities are run by kobolds, while humans, elves, and whatnot live oppressed in villages.

revolver kobold
2008-11-19, 07:39 PM
Check e-Bay for some kobold minis. My current DM managed to pick up 40 or so kobold miners and trap makers for about $0.50 AUD each. Reaper have a few good kobold miniatures too. And by using a pair of wings from a psuedodragon, i was able to create a pretty neat Winged Dragonwrought kobold.

chiasaur11
2008-11-19, 07:40 PM
There's a simple rule:
Kobolds Do It Better.

In a realistic world, kobolds would rule. Play it like that, where all the major cities are run by kobolds, while humans, elves, and whatnot live oppressed in villages.

I agree this is probably true, but I would appreciate if you'd explain further on the subject.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-19, 08:20 PM
I agree this is probably true, but I would appreciate if you'd explain further on the subject.Kobolds for some reason can do almost anything better than other races. Pun-Pun is a Kobold, Dragonwrought is insane for casters of every type, and at first level they're able to get 4 attacks when meleeing. What other race can do that?

chiasaur11
2008-11-19, 08:37 PM
Kobolds for some reason can do almost anything better than other races. Pun-Pun is a Kobold, Dragonwrought is insane for casters of every type, and at first level they're able to get 4 attacks when meleeing. What other race can do that?

I was just thinking the "Realistic Setting" things. I mean, Dragonwrought and 4 melee are awesome, but those don't, by themselves, say "totally rules the world." I mean, other than Pun-Pun.

I'm betting there are even better reasons. Those are what I want to know.

monty
2008-11-19, 08:42 PM
I was just thinking the "Realistic Setting" things. I mean, Dragonwrought and 4 melee are awesome, but those don't, by themselves, say "totally rules the world." I mean, other than Pun-Pun.

I'm betting there are even better reasons. Those are what I want to know.

As stated, they're better at everything. Also, they're rich, with lots of money invested in Dragon stock. And they're well-adapted for an industrial economy.

chiasaur11
2008-11-19, 08:44 PM
As stated, they're better at everything. Also, they're rich, with lots of money invested in Dragon stock. And they're well-adapted for an industrial economy.

The industrial economy is what I was thinking might be it. And they're good at sucking up to the more powerful, come to think, which is very useful.

Hooray for Kobolds!

monty
2008-11-19, 08:56 PM
Think about it. You could hire a dragon to take out that group of adventurers that have been attacking your citizens. Role reversal!

chiasaur11
2008-11-19, 08:59 PM
Think about it. You could hire a dragon to take out that group of adventurers that have been attacking your citizens. Role reversal!

Yeah!

Also, The theoretical "Almost no class level guys, all monsters" thing?

Kobolds could survive the time gaps until big name heroes come by cozying up with dragons for protection, get rich, and stay safe.

Man. Kobolds.

Lert, A.
2008-11-19, 09:34 PM
I used a setting where Kobolds were essentially slaves because of their physical weakness. By harnessing their dragon heritage and using superior tactics (Tucker's) they eventually gain power.

Other races want to be at the top and attack farms and supply trains headed for Kobold cities. The Kobold leadership form a group to stop these guerrilla attacks, and the conspiracy that is behind them.

OneFamiliarFace
2008-11-19, 09:40 PM
One of my favorite PbP's was an all kobold campaign. I don't think the DM would mind you using his idea:

A warband of kobolds is running out of food, so the players have to go find more.

He divided us into two groups: the privileged and the outcasts, and let each group choose how they wanted to go about getting food. Options included things like hunting or raiding a nearby human/gnome fort which guarded the border between their lands.

It's a solid idea with a lot of simple and easily runnable ideas, and not a bad run for 1st level characters. Then for all of the early levels, it could pretty much just be working with tribal stuff. Mid-levels could go into territorial defense or territorial takeover. Higher levels could involve dragons in some way. Maybe the kobolds need to protect a dragon from adventurers or help one dragon combat another.

I do loves me some kobolds.

Coplantor
2008-11-19, 09:51 PM
Well, you could read the goblins webcomic for some ideas.

As a second idea, you know what's better than a kobolds campaign? A kobolds and modrons campaign!

ChaosDefender24
2008-11-19, 10:09 PM
I'm not much on the fluff, but mechanics-wise if you let your players do dragonwrought you should have a great time. Just expect a decidedly arcane-focused party. Even your main fighters will probably be gishes of some sort, especially with dragon-related Alter Self etc. Just don't allow cheesewrought like any sane DM and everything should go smoothly.

Tyrael
2008-11-19, 10:24 PM
If you did a PbP Kobold campaign, I would SO join that in a heartbeat. I love the little guys.

monty
2008-11-19, 10:25 PM
That would be pretty awesome.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-19, 10:27 PM
That would be pretty awesome.I so want to make a Kobold Scout/Barbarian with Boots of Speed. 80' move rate when small would be awesome. I could even make it work well mechanically.

TheEmerged
2008-11-19, 11:17 PM
The campaign I spent most of 3.0 in was a 'monster' campaign, in which my character was a kobold psion.

For one thing, you can only start with the 'poor us' attitude. Take a good read through the Goblins comic someone mentioned above. It starts out as a whole camp struggling to defeat 5 adventurers. Current issues have them taking on an entire town's guard, and they're only 3rd level (althought one of the characters, Thaco, kinda defies level).

Eventually your group is going to be full-blown characters. The DM I played with had a lot of fun turning standard gaming cliches on their head, but eventually (we went from 3rd to 18th level) our race really didn't affect the tone of the campaign.

Our campaign started with a twist a classic first adventure cliche. The princess has gone missing, and the local king has hired a bunch of low-level adventurers to rescue her from the vicious monsters that are trying to steal part of his kingdom. Except... the players are the "vicious monsters" trying to ferret out all the adventure groups invading your territory -- while trying to find out what REALLY happened to the princess.

Another classic technique for this sort of thing is the "Dungeon Keeper" gag. We tried it for a couple of sessions and decided it would get old, but the jest of it is that you have to design the defenses that the forces of good are trying to breach. Again, it got old fast but it was an enjoyable couple of sessions.

Coplantor
2008-11-20, 05:27 AM
Why? Just make the king tell them that an evil princess kidnapped the kingdom's pet wyrmling.

Tempest Fennac
2008-11-20, 05:55 AM
I don't know if I'd want to use a standard Kobold due to their weaknesses (the race is unbalanced without the Races of the Dragon cheese if you ask me), but I would be interrested in a Scaly campaign if I could test my LA 0 Lizardfolk (+2 Con,-2 Int, +2 Natural Armour, +2 to Balance, Jump and Swim checks and they can hold their breath for 4 times as long as a normal creature).

sleepy
2008-11-20, 06:06 AM
Campaign starts with the PCs getting called before the elders of the tribe. The "beloved master" (uncaring chromatic dragon) expressed a whim in passing. The party members have been volunteered to retrieve/achieve it. Make it something fairly petty and take the opportunity to showcase kobold society. Have the tribe's mighty sorcerer overlord intimidate the inevitably cowardly and reluctant characters with hilarious displays of tiny rage.

Subtly emphasize the PC's unfamiliarity with the outside world. Describe everything as enormous and terrifying. Have them encounter a pair of level 1 commoners working in the fields. Describe like they're a serious combat threat worthy of respect and caution. Continue in this fashion until the characters (and players!) discover being 6 feet tall doesn't make you so tough.

Create strategically significant terrain with high ground, bottlenecks, and the materials for improvised traps. Maximizing the terrain advantage and riddling a battleground with hazards are crowning achievements of koboldness. Be sure to enable them. If they don't pick up on it, have them discover a ranger's meal trap set over a rabbit run to plant the seed, then describe the wild-found components in similar words later. If you need any explanations of real world primitive deadfalls and snares, shoot me a PM.

Lastly if I remember rightly and kobolds are dazzled by sunlight... consider granting daylight adaptation as a bonus feat. Use it as the justification for their being chosen for the mission.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-20, 06:10 AM
Lastly if I remember rightly and kobolds are dazzled by sunlight... consider granting daylight adaptation as a bonus feat. Use it as the justification for their being chosen for the mission.There is a 10GP item called Underdark Sungoggles that grants immunity to Light Sensitivity. And besides, what player doesn't want his tiny whirling doom to look totally bad***?

sleepy
2008-11-20, 06:21 AM
There is a 10GP item called Underdark Sungoggles that grants immunity to Light Sensitivity. And besides, what player doesn't want his tiny whirling doom to look totally bad***?

Brilliant! Have your already semi-comedy party start referring to everywhere outside town as "the matrix" and describe combat in bullet time. Not exactly the effect I was going for, but now I want to do that.

Coplantor
2008-11-20, 06:22 AM
And make them all monks.

Ravens_cry
2008-11-20, 06:28 AM
And make them all monks.

*takes a feat*

"I know kung-fu."

Tempest Fennac
2008-11-20, 06:35 AM
If this goes ahead, I'll probably play as a Dragon Shaman (I'd want to be a Good character, though; I struggle with RPing Evil characters, and I wouldn't stay Neutral for very long).

Kredine
2008-11-20, 06:40 AM
I'm currently running a campaign with kobolds. A new kobold god has killed the other one and then freed a load of kobolds from undermountain. These are now killing and conquering in his name while building there own undermountain. The campaign started with thier being four encampments surrounding the players home village, which were frequently attacking the village.
After defeating these encampments they are now tracking down a kobold who holds the location of the new undermountain.

KKL
2008-11-20, 07:01 AM
And make them all monks.

Everybody was kung-fu fighting~

Na Na Na Na Na Na NA Na Na!

And they were fast as lightning~

Coplantor
2008-11-20, 07:18 AM
And if you dont mind having low hit points, add them the quick trait. The guys in matrix never showed a lot of HP though, they just dodge things.

hewhosaysfish
2008-11-20, 09:22 AM
Adventure idea:
Your peaceful little kobold kommunity is cheerfully farming durable fungus and mining nutritious ore underneath North Mountain when word reaches them that the kobolds at West Mountain have turned to the worship of Tiamat and are plotting to kidnap human children from nearby South Village to sacrifice to their evil goddess.
Oh noes! Whether they succeed or fail, their plan will surely anger, dismay and/or frighten the human of South Village and they will send for help. Adventurers from East City will flood into the Mountains, killing everything with scales! North Mountain is in grave danger.
For the good of the kommunity, your bravest and best (that would be the PCs) must ventures forth from your kaves to disrupt the wicked plan of the Western Kobolds. And the Western Kobolds must not suspect what you are doing, or it will mean war between your tribes. And the humans must not suspect what is happening or they may decide to loose the adventurers anyway.
Your little kobolds will have to be very klever....

Possible complications:
- The Western Kobolds have already kidnapped the children and you must rescue them, quickly!
- The Western Kobolds' sudden conversion to Tiamatism was trigger by the arrival of a Vey Scary emissary of Tiamat, possibly even a dragon!
- Alternative formulation: It is your own tribe that has turned to Tiamat and you must plot secretly to thwart the plans of your friends and neighbours to prevent them from bringing doom upon you all.

Coplantor
2008-11-20, 09:30 AM
That is an awesome idea, I want to play it right now!

Greenfaun
2008-11-20, 09:55 AM
ALL HAIL KING TORG! :)

But seriously, kobolds are a rich vein to mine (pardon the pun). Lots of good ideas already, but I'll add one: Inspired by Tucker's Kobolds, how about a defensive campaign? Make the focus digging misleading tunnels and creating deadly traps to defend your cavern complex from invading adventurers or other bigfolk. It could create a really interesting role reversal when the DM tries to run a group of NPC adventurers through the trapped dungeon that the players have created, while the players flip switches and shoot poison darts and cackle with glee at the screams of pain.

monty
2008-11-20, 12:35 PM
Alternately, make them all bards and model them after ZZ Top.

kbk
2008-11-20, 01:13 PM
While not an all kobold campaign, we had one kobold in our low level party who raised an army of kobold followers. He had a multi-session adventure where he lead his kobold tribe against the cave bear in the next door cave.

The kobolds were slaughtered to the last one.

monty
2008-11-20, 01:23 PM
The kobolds were slaughtered to the last one.

Then he wasn't doing it right. Kobolds don't lose.

chiasaur11
2008-11-20, 02:41 PM
Then he wasn't doing it right. Kobolds don't lose.

And if they do...

They lost to other Kobolds. The supposed victor was just the fall guy.