PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Tempest Fighter idea and suggestions

MammonAzrael
2008-11-19, 09:10 PM
This Friday I'll be starting a rather large game. The DM has stated that it's going to be fairly low magic, so only Humans and Martial classes are allowed.

I'm guessing that we'll start at lvl 1, but so far the Human/Martial restriction is the only info I have. So I'm thinking about a Human Fighter, with the new Tempest option. My general ideas thus far are:

STR>DEX>WIS>CON>INT>CHA

At-Will: Cleave, Dual Strike, Footwork Lure
Encounter: ???
Daily: ???

Feats: Weapon Proficiency (Double Sword), ???

My understanding is that the +2 damage bonus, and the +1 to hit bonus will apply to both ends of the Double Sword, which is quite nice. I'm not entirely sure on what stats should take precedence after STR.

Later on I'm looking to enter that Shock Trooper PP and Ranger multiclass.

And advice or suggestions, both for level 1 and for following levels are welcome. :smallsmile:

Mando Knight
2008-11-19, 09:20 PM
...Does your DM realize that 4E isn't exactly the best system for low-magic? If he's assuming that Low-Magic=Low Power in 4E, he's dead wrong...

I'll probably post more tomorrow, when my Martial Power may arrive in the mail...

...Also, to-hit in 4E is still quite magic item dependent: at higher levels, you'll need the bonus just to get a 50% hit chance...

KKL
2008-11-19, 09:31 PM
...Does your DM realize that 4E isn't exactly the best system for low-magic? If he's assuming that Low-Magic=Low Power in 4E, he's dead wrong...

I'll probably post more tomorrow, when my Martial Power may arrive in the mail...

...Also, to-hit in 4E is still quite magic item dependent: at higher levels, you'll need the bonus just to get a 50% hit chance...

It's at least better than finangling with everything and their dogs when you wanted a low-magic campaign in 3.5e. All you need to do in 4e is just hand out an intrinsic +1 bonus every 5 levels or so to attack rolls and defenses. And damage rolls if you feel like it. I think the DMG even mentions this...

Anyways, for the extra feat...Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades) never hurt. There are probably better things but in the meantime I'm running late to a class. I'll help when I get back though, extensively. I have contacts who knows Temptest Fightars.

Starsinger
2008-11-19, 09:37 PM

True, but only Martial Classes has a nice way of getting a Lord of the Rings-esque feel.

nows7
2008-11-19, 11:07 PM
I personally don't see much advantage to the 2HSword, but i can't recall it's stats.

If the setting is low magic, I would make sure the DM is aware of the math regarding to hit, and how not having that to hit will really end up meaning alot later on. I'd politely broach the subject with him.

One other thought would be regarding healing and control. You'll be without divine healing goodness, and wizardy minion slaughter. Cleave is good to replace the wizard, but that still leaves the healing.

I might give some thought to the Invigerating* powers that martial power presents, and to the class option that lets you get the most from it. Consider dropping dual strike for the Invigorating keyword at will. Judgeing by your mention of going for ranger multi-class, i'm guessing you are going for a more striker-ish fighter, so the invigorating class option might not be for you, but consider it.

Just my two CP.

*I think that is the right keyword, but I am away from my books.

Kurald Galain
2008-11-20, 04:42 AM
I'm not convinced (yet) that Footwork Lure is all that useful. It seems that pushing things is more useful than pulling them into your square, because you get to push them off cliffs and into fires and so forth. Note that any fighter worth his salt can bull rush, anyway, which works effectively like a fourth at-will.

Worth considering if you have the con is the "attack and gain temp hp" at-will from MP.

I'd have to do the math on dual strike vs. brash strike to see which is better. I suspect it may be dual strike.

For a daily power, tempest dance is very appropriate, and awesome, and a triple mark.

I'd recommend against using a double sword at first level, simply because you have so many other things to spend your feats on, and it's not that big a benefit over simply using two regular swords. Like ranger multiclass, yes. But also the regular human feats, and martial prowess (or something, that gives you +5 to some saves).

I'd say dump int and cha, as you won't be using them. Pick one from dex, wis, con (I'd recommend wis) and keep it as high as possible as your secondary stat, put a point or two into the other two if needed for feats, and keep them there.