PDA

View Full Version : [Pirate] The Beauteous Lure

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-10, 11:20 PM
On the high seas, many things can go wrong. An attack by pirates, a storm, or a supernatural menace can leave a ship adrift, empty but for a few survivors. As such, all sailors are honor-bound to aid one another if they should come across a ship in distress. However, there is one group of pirates who shamelessly take advantage of that fact...
vote for me
The Nymph Pirates ply the shipping lines, pretending to be a ship in distress, utilizing their feminine wiles to gain access to ships suspicious of their stories of woe and misfortune.
please
Ydani the Pirate-Queen is the captain of the Beauteous Lure, the ship owned by the Nymph Pirates and crewed (almost) exclusively by nymphs. Once aboard a ship, they do their best to incapacitate the crew using nonlethal means such as blinding, sleep spells, and the like. If their targets prove resistant to their efforts, the nymphs will unleash their more lethal magics, but they prefer not to cause any casualties.
give me money (not really)
Once their targets are incapacitated, the nymphs search the ship, the crew, and any passengers, taking all the valuables they can find. They then make their getaway, leaving behind enough potions of remove blindness to cure anyone who was blinded by their beauty.
give peace a chance
Ydani and her nymphs use the wealth gained through their acts of piracy to purchase logging rights to tracts of virgin forestland, thus ensuring that it will be protected.
... I can't think of anything...
Captain Ydani the Pirate-Queen (Nymph 6/Bard 9)
Size/Type: Medium Fey
Hit Dice: 15d6+30 (82 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), swim 20 ft.
Armor Class: 20 (+3 Dex, +7 deflection), touch 20, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+11
Attack: Dagger +13 melee (1d4+3/19-20)
Full Attack: Dagger +13/+8 melee (1d4+3/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Blinding beauty, spells, spell-like abilities, stunning glance, bardic music 9/day
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/cold iron, low-light vision, unearthly grace, wild empathy, bardic knowledge +13
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +18, Will +17
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 19, Wis 15, Cha 24
Skills: Balance +18, Bluff +28, Concentration +20, Diplomacy +22, Escape Artist +12, Handle Animal +19, Heal +11, Hide +15, Listen +11, Move Silently +15, Profession (sailor) +17, Ride +5, Sense Motive +14, Perform (sing) +25, Spot +14, Swim +10, Use Rope +3 (+5 with bindings)
Feats: Skill Focus (Concentration), Dodge, Weapon Finesse, Skill Focus (Bluff), Extend Spell, Quick Draw
Possessions: +1 dagger, circlet of persuasion, Beauteous Lure (ship), spell component pouch
Challenge Rating: 16
Alignment: CG
Catchphrase: "You wouldn't refuse help to a ship in distress, would you?"

Ydani is about the height and weight of a female elf. She speaks Common, Elven, and Sylvan.

Combat
Blinding Beauty (Su)
This ability affects all humanoids within 30 feet of Ydani. Those who look directly at her must succeed on a DC 24 Fortitude save or be blinded permanently as though by the blindness spell. Ydani can suppress or resume this ability as a free action.
The save DC is Charisma-based.
Spell-Like Abilities
1/day—dimension door. Caster level 7th.
Spells
Ydani casts divine spells as a 7th-level druid and arcane spells as a 9th-level bard.
Typical Druid Spells Prepared (6/5/4/2/1, save DC 12 + spell level)
0—cure minor wounds, detect magic, flare, guidance, light, resistance; 1st—cure light wounds (2), longstrider, obscuring mist, shillelagh; 2nd—warp wood (2), gust of wind, wood shape; 3rd—call lightning, sleet storm; 4th—ice storm.
Bard Spells Known (3/5/5/4 per day, save DC 17 + spell level)
0—dancing lights, daze, lullaby, message, open/close, prestidigitation; 1st—charm person, hypnotism, identify, sleep; 2nd—eagle’s splendor, hypnotic pattern, suggestion, silence; 3rd--deep slumber, glibness, speak with animals.
Stunning Glance (Su)
As a standard action, Ydani can stun a creature within 30 feet with a look. The target creature must succeed on a DC 24 Fortitude save or be stunned for 2d4 rounds. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Unearthly Grace (Su)
Ydani adds her Charisma modifier as a bonus on all her saving throws, and as a deflection bonus to her Armor Class. (Her statistics block already reflects these bonuses).
Wild Empathy (Ex)
This power works like the druid’s wild empathy class feature, except that Ydani has a +6 racial bonus on the check.
Bardic Music
9 times per day, Ydani can use bardic music to create one of the following effects: countersong, fascinate, inspire courage +2, inspire competence, suggestion, or inpire greatness.
Bardic Knowledge
Ydani can make bardic knowledge checks with a bonus of +13.
Skills
Ydani has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. She can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. She can use the run action while swimming, provided she swims in a straight line.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-14, 08:54 PM
First Mate Haruhi (Female Human Bard 15)
Size/Type: Outsider (Human, Native, Psionic)
Hit Dice: 15d6+15 (105 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+1 Dex, +7 deflection), touch 18, flatfooted 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+12 *
Attack: +12 unarmed strike (1d3+1 nonlethal) or +13 wooden hammer (2d6+1 nonlethal, 19-20/x3)
Full Attack: +12/+7/+2 unarmed strike (1d3+1 nonlethal) or +13/+8/+3 wooden hammer (2d6+1 nonlethal, 19-20/x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Bardic music, psi-like abilities
Special Qualities: Unaware, human racial traits, divine rank 0, DR 10/epic, fire resistance 5, spell resistance 32, immunities, bardic knack
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +9
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 8, Cha 24
Skills: Balance +20, Bluff +27, Climb +21, Diplomacy +25, Disguise +25, Intimidate +15, Jump +19, Perform (dance) +28, Perform (sing) +28, Perform (stringed instrument) +28, Swim +21, Tumble +20
Feats: Persuasive, Athletic, Weapon Focus (wooden hammer), Power Attack, Improved Critical (wooden hammer), Skill Focus [Perform (dance, sing, stringed instruments)]
Challenge Rating: 15
Possessions: Schoolgirl's outfit, spell component pouch
Alignment: CN
Spells per Day: 4/6/6/6/5/3
Spells Known (Caster Level 20, save DC 17 + power level): 0 – dancing lights, daze, detect magic, ghost sound, read magic, summon instrument; 1st – cure light wounds, hideous laughter, lesser confusion, sleep, ventriloquism; 2nd – cure moderate wounds, daze monster, hypnotic pattern, mirror image, sound burst; 3rd – blink, confusion, cure serious wounds, deep slumber, phantom steed; 4th – cure critical wounds, freedom of movement, rainbow pattern, shout, zone of silence; 5th – cure light wounds, mass; heroism, greater; mislead.
Catchphrase: "Wouldn't it be neat if..."

Unaware (Ex): Haruhi is unaware that she is anything other than a normal, if multi-talented, girl. She cannot use her astral construct and genesis powers voluntarily, but only when she reaches a certain level of aggravation.
Immunities: Haruhi is immune to polymorphing, petrification, or any other attack that would alter her form. Any shape-altering powers she might have work normally on herself. Haruhi is not subject to energy drain, ability drain, or ability damage. Haruhi is immune to mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Psi-like Abilities (Ps): The manifester level for these effects is 20. At will as a swift action – psionic minor creation; 1/day – astral construct, genesis. Haruhi’s psionic minor creation can create only wooden hammers, which she wields as two-handed weapon that deal 2d6 plus Str mod nonlethal damage. She is proficient with her wooden hammers.
Bardic Music: Haruhi can produce the countersong, fascinate, inspire courage +3, inspire competence, suggestion, inspire greatness, song of freedom, and inspire heroics effects.
Bardic Knack: Haruhi has the bardic knack alternate class feature, which can be found in the PHBII. This ability grants Haruhi the ability to make untrained skill checks as if she hand ranks in those skills equal to her bard level. This ability allows her to use even trained-only skills, and replaces her bardic knowledge ability.

Haruhi is a mystery. One day, she simply appeared in Ydani's grove as Ydani and some other nymphs were debating what to do about some loggers in the area. She offered the nymphs some slightly eccentric advice: become pirates and use the money to pay the loggers not to cut down trees the nymphs wanted to protect. The nymph were unsure, but Haruhi convinced them, even making their endless decanter of potions for them. The nymphs are not quite sure how Haruhi did this, and suspect that Haruhi is far more than the *highly eccentric schoolgirl she appears to be. In any event, Haruhi is content to serve as the Beauteous Lure's first mate while Ydani is the Captain, though if Haruhi wants something, she is almost certain to get it regardless of her official authority.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-14, 09:49 PM
Endless Decanter of Potions

This flask can create any potion the carrier wishes; the liquid retains these properties even if poured from the flask into another container. Filling the flask with a potion requires an Intelligence or Spellcraft check against DC 5 + the level of the spell to be contained in the potion.

Strong universal; CL 17th, Craft Wondrous Item, wish; Market Price 2,775,400 gp.

The endless decanter of potions and a supply of 2d10+10 empty vials are the only items of treasure stored continually aboard the Beauteous Lure. Roll to see how much treasure the Beauteous Lure has aboard when encountered:

{table]
d% ResultTreasure Aboard
01-50No treasure
51-75Standard treasure for a CR 5 encounter
76-88Standard treasure for a CR 10 encounter
89-98Standard treasure for a CR 15 encounter
99-00Double standard treasure for a CR 15 encounter
[/table]

The Demented One
2006-09-14, 10:23 PM
The fact that this lacks Haruhi makes the Demented One cry.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-14, 10:46 PM
That can be remedied. Which Haruhi did you mean (there's 5 on wikipedia :-[)?

V: Thanks. I'll get to work on that ASAP.

The Demented One
2006-09-15, 12:58 AM
The only one that's the head of the SOS-dan, Haruhi Zuzmiya. And if you find a good way to work her in, you deserve my vote just for that.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-19, 04:48 PM
The fact that this lacks Haruhi makes the Demented One cry.

The Demented One say ye, scallywag? I ne'er heard o' sucha strange soudin' name in all my forty years on the Eighth Sea! Be ye daft, Captain?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-19, 05:28 PM
So, what think ye, Cap'n Dementia, o' my effort?

(@ V: Be this better?)

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-19, 05:32 PM
Ye too, Iames? First ye make sich a beaut'of a ship with an original crew, then ye go daft on me like that? Pirate king are ye? Bah! Me swabby would wipe the floor with yer severed spleen! Seems to me that you be forgettin' the day it is: the nineteenth of September, mate, and ye not be upholdin' tradition. This'n here forum would count as speakin', see, and if'n that be speakin' like a pirate, then me pet kraken'll give birth to a landlubber.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-19, 06:04 PM
Yer pet kraken will give birth to a landlubber?
*baby crying, spanking noise*
... It be a boy, Cap'n Seraph! Yer pet kraken gone an' 'ad a landlovin' dwarven son, tho it blow me as to how it managed the feat.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-19, 06:13 PM
Naw, Iames, that not be its son, though I should'a knowed it'd be a bad idear to 'ave fed a both sexes of d'arves to th' monstrosity, tho' what with th' beards on'em ya never quite know which is which. Now how the tyke managed t' suvive is somthing' my mariner's will ne'ver cease to ponder.

Now let's geroff of this 'ere tangent and get ya some reviewin' for ths 'ere ship 'n crew.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-19, 06:22 PM
Agreed.

The Demented One
2006-09-19, 06:32 PM
Yar, I be only kiddin' on the matter of the Haruhi wench. Howevarr, your renditioning be a'makin' me proud.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-19, 06:34 PM
Aye, I be knowin 'twere a jest once ye PMed me, but as I 'd already begun, I saw nae reason not ter finish the job.

The Demented One
2006-09-19, 07:07 PM
Er, sanity?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-19, 07:28 PM
Sanity - Hah! A designer cares not for that thing.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-24, 02:23 PM
http://mirage.air-nifty.com/sarumani/images/haruhi_2_28.jpg
Goddess approves!

The Demented One
2006-09-24, 02:47 PM
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/6861/yukiharuhieb4.jpg
Yukifyed Goddess does not approve!

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-24, 04:18 PM
http://mirage.air-nifty.com/sarumani/images/haruhi_2_28.jpg
Goddess approves!
Yay!

And may I say that the Nausicaa avi rocks. Nausicaa in general rocks.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-25, 10:28 AM
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/6861/yukiharuhieb4.jpg
Yukifyed Goddess does not approve!
ZA WARUDO!

Uh, anyways, very interesting entry. I like the unique concept, particularly the motivation for the nymph pirates. I'd love to see more - particularly some information about their ship.

On another note, as big a Haruhi fanboy as I am, I think it's a bit off to have her so much higher level than Ydani. Might be worthwhile to lower Haruhi's level and/or increase Ydani's a bit. Perhaps bump Ydani to Bard 9, and Haruhi down to Bard 15, making them equal level? Additionally, the Bardic Knack alternate ability from the PHBII (which, IIRC, allows bards to attempt untrained skill checks as if they had ranks in the skill, I think equal to bard level) would be much more appropriate for Haruhi than Bardic Knowledge.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-25, 08:28 PM
Hmmm. Like that idea. I'll do that... eventually...

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-26, 03:56 PM
Might wanna get to it, the clock's ticking, Iames.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-26, 04:51 PM
I've still got 5 more days...

You're right...
[hr]
Done!