PDA

View Full Version : Stacking Touch Attacks

Cowboy_ninja
2008-11-19, 11:11 PM
3rd level wizrd

casts chill touch ( gets 3 touches)
uses 1 chill touch
next round casts shocking grasp and uses shocking grasp/chill touch right?

i ask because the spell compedium has a spell called ... flower spell? spell flower? it essentiall allows you to have a touch spell in each hand, wich makes me think that maybe the above senario is not possible?

if its not where are the rules that say that.

thanks in advance everyone!:smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-19, 11:14 PM
3rd level wizrd

casts chill touch ( gets 3 touches)
uses 1 chill touch
next round casts shocking grasp and uses shocking grasp/chill touch right?

i ask because the spell compedium has a spell called ... flower spell? spell flower? it essentiall allows you to have a touch spell in each hand, wich makes me think that maybe the above senario is not possible?

if its not where are the rules that say that.

thanks in advance everyone!:smallbiggrin:That works as far as I know. The SpC version is probably to let you discharge the spells separately.

If you want real fun, be a Dread Necro and land Chill Touch+Charnel Touch+Disease+Inflict X Wounds.

Zeful
2008-11-19, 11:16 PM
The rules say you can tack on a touch attack to a unarmed strike, I know of no mention in the PHb that covers what you ask beyond that. So your out of luck.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-19, 11:29 PM
Combat chapter under casting spells, emphasis added:

Holding the Charge
If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-19, 11:33 PM
Combat chapter under casting spells, emphasis added:But Chill Touch has a duration of 'Instantaneous'.

tyckspoon
2008-11-20, 12:11 AM
But Chill Touch has a duration of 'Instantaneous'.

The proper reading of that should be that the effects of Chill Touch on the targets are instantaneous: you touch them, they take 1d6 damage and possibly 1 Strength damage. This is a real permanent effect, barring healing, and cannot be Dispelled. That's generally what Instantaneous means in D&D. If you want to argue that it instead means the spell happens completely and only when you cast it, then the rules for 'Holding a charge' are utterly pointless for spells like Chill Touch and Shocking Grasp; the only time you could possibly touch somebody would be immediately upon casting the spell. Chill Touch's multiple discharges would be impossible to use at all. Biffoniacus has the right of this one.

Frosty
2008-11-20, 12:32 AM
The proper reading of that should be that the effects of Chill Touch on the targets are instantaneous: you touch them, they take 1d6 damage and possibly 1 Strength damage. This is a real permanent effect, barring healing, and cannot be Dispelled. That's generally what Instantaneous means in D&D. If you want to argue that it instead means the spell happens completely and only when you cast it, then the rules for 'Holding a charge' are utterly pointless for spells like Chill Touch and Shocking Grasp; the only time you could possibly touch somebody would be immediately upon casting the spell. Chill Touch's multiple discharges would be impossible to use at all. Biffoniacus has the right of this one.

Could you please comment on the thread I made about Chill Touch as well? I'd like some insight.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-20, 12:43 AM
I can't really say anything other than Biffonacious is completely correct; the point of Spell Flower is so that you can hold two touch spells without one overwriting the other.