PDA

View Full Version : Help building a kobold ranger, please?

Kiyona
2008-11-20, 10:15 AM
Hello all,

I am making a backup character incase my sorcerer bites the grass. (highly probable the way this campaign has developed ^^). I was thinking of playing a ranger of my favourite race, kobold. With a one level dip in beastmaster to boost his dire weasel. I started out wanting him to be a mounted warrior type, but the -4 to str is a bit of handicap in such a build. Or is it? :smallbiggrin:

So, what im looking for is suggestions. =) Should I go for TW fighting or archery? Wich is the most effective from "horse"back? I have never played a ranger (or any kind of melee character except rogue) before so all suggestions are welcome. Feats? how should I place his abilitys? Complete builds?

Thanks in advance =)

[EDIT] Oh, sorry, forgot. lvl 9, all official books allowed. [EDIT]

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-20, 10:21 AM
The Swift Hunter feat is awesome(stack Ranger and Scout for Skirmish and Favored Enemy). Scout 4/Ranger 15/Beastmaster 1 nicely fills in the dead levels. Don't forget the Natural Bond feat(+3 to your Druid level for AC) and the Kobold Ranger Sub level for another +3. You're 9th level, so a Splitting Bow and the Greater Manyshot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot) feat with Scout 3/Ranger 6 is incredible.

Kiyona
2008-11-20, 10:44 AM
The Swift Hunter feat is awesome(stack Ranger and Scout for Skirmish and Favored Enemy). Scout 4/Ranger 15/Beastmaster 1 nicely fills in the dead levels. Don't forget the Natural Bond feat(+3 to your Druid level for AC) and the Kobold Ranger Sub level for another +3. You're 9th level, so a Splitting Bow and the Greater Manyshot feat with Scout 3/Ranger 6 is incredible.

Oh, wow that is awesome! I had no idea such a thing existed. Cool =) Scout doesnt help the companion right? But I suppose that with beastmaster, natural bond and kobold sublevels that wont matter. Does all that stack BTW?

So, youre suggestion archery then? Good good, I prefer to be out of melee anyway. Dont like my squishy character taking hits. =) Were can I find the splitting bow?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-20, 10:50 AM
Splitting I think is MIC, and may be OP for your group. Keep an eye on it. All the AC bonuses are untyped, so they all stack, though there are limits to the order you can apply them in. And yes, Swift Hunters make Ranged combat very nice. It is possible to make a decent TWF with it, but it requires a lot of rules-manipulation.

Kiyona
2008-11-20, 11:49 AM
Hm, cant find it. And my google-fu is failing me. But I will find it eventually. =)
How would you calculate his druid level for the weasel? Is it half ranger lvl +3 for natural bond +3for beastmaster, or is it half (ranger lvl +3, +3)?

Mounted combat seems to be draining lots of feats. And beastmaster needs skill focus, maybe I should drop beastmaster. What do you all think?

jcsw
2008-11-20, 12:02 PM
It's (0.5xRanger Levels)+3(Beastmaster)+3(Natural Bond), i've not read kobold ranger so I've no idea where *that* +3 fits in.

Kiyona
2008-11-20, 12:07 PM
i've not read kobold ranger so I've no idea where *that* +3 fits in.

That just lets kobold rangers take the dire weasel companion without taking a -4 to their effective character lvl.

Thanks, the math is a bit confusing sometimes

Darrin
2008-11-20, 12:28 PM
So, what im looking for is suggestions. =) Should I go for TW fighting or archery? Wich is the most effective from "horse"back? I have never played a ranger (or any kind of melee character except rogue) before so all suggestions are welcome. Feats? how should I place his abilitys? Complete builds?

Hmm. Well, if you want an archery build, try flying + manyshot + skirmish. With the right PrCs, you can pull even with the rogues on sneak attack damage. However, this is *not* a mounted build. Your dire weasel would spend most of his time on the ground while you flew around and killed things. Even if you did ride a mount, you can't get skirmish damage via your mount's movement.

Earth Kobold Dragonborn of Bahumat (Wings)
1. Ranger 1. Feat: Point Blank Shot
2. Ranger 2. Combat Style: Rapid Shot
3. Scout 1. Feat: Skill Focus (Handle Animal)
4. Scout 2.
5. Scout 3.
6. Ranger 3. Feat: Manyshot, Fly 30'
7. Scout 4. Bonus: Swift Hunter, Skirmish 2d6
8. Ranger 4. Animal Companion.
9. Beastmaster 1. Feat: Improved Skirmish 2d6/4d6
10. Ranger 5. Skirmish 3d6/5d6
11. Dragon Devotee 1.
12. Dragon Devotee 2. Feat: Greater Manyshot, Skirmish 4d6/6d6, Unlimited Fly 30'
13. Dragon Devotee 3. Sorcerer 1st.
14. Dragon Devotee 4. Skirmish 5d6/7d6
15. Unseen Seer 1. Feat: Precise Shot, Skirmish 6d6/8d6
16. Unseen Seer 2.
17. Unseen Seer 3.
18. Unseen Seer 4. Feat: Draconic Reservoir, Skirmish 7d6/9d6
19. Highland Stalker 1.
20. Highland Stalker 2. Skirmish 8d6/10d6

BAB 17, 3rd level Sorcerer spells, Fly 30', up to 10d6 skirmish damage (including two favored enemies such as undead/oozes/constructs/plants), Animal Companion = Druid 6th.

Abilities: Dex, Str, Int, Con, Wis, Cha

To do TWF, just replace the archery feats with TWF stuff. PB Shot -> Travel Devotion, Combat Style -> TWF, Manyshot -> ImpTWF, Gr. Manyshot -> GrTWF, Precise Shot -> Imp. Crit.

If you really want to do mounted combat on the dire weasel, see if your GM will allow you to take the Mounted Combat variant ranger combat style from Dragon #326. 2nd = Ride-by Attack, 6th = Spirited Charge, 11th = Trample. For bonus damage, Power Attack is probably best. If your DM will allow it, get a Heavy Lance (Magic of Faerun p. 179), medium-size + strongarm bracers, and you can up the damage from 1d8 to 2d6.

Kiyona
2008-11-20, 01:39 PM
Even if you did ride a mount, you can't get skirmish damage via your mount's movement

You cant?? Well that ruins everything...

I really wanted a dire weasel only for the awesomeness of the concept. :smallbiggrin: So I guess I can ditch the idea. It looks like a really solid build, but what is an earth kobold? Bahamut is the good dragongod right? If I.ll be going pure archer without mount Ill definitily steal it. =) Thanks

Maybe I could make it a paladin/druid kind of thing. I think there is a feat out there that stacks mount with companion. And go with the trample and overrun tactic... I just like the idea of a kobold riding a dire weasel companion. They get climb speed. :smallbiggrin:

Winter_Wolf
2008-11-20, 02:26 PM
Earth kobold, I'm pretty sure out of Unearthed Arcana. At least, that's where I've seen it.

Behold the mighty earth kobold warrior upon his, er, valiant...? dire weasel steed. Protecting the scaly from the vile gnome threat.

You win points for cool. But unless little scaly has at least 10 strength after adjustments, I'd stick with some kind of crossbow or ammo that relies more on some kind of special damage (shocking burst, flaming, what have you) than on base damage.

In order of relative importance, I'd say
Dex
Int (you won't ever be the strongest, you might as well invest in skill points)
Con
Str (you'll want at least 10 after adjustments if you can get it)
Wis (really, never found ranger spells to be essential)
Cha (it's a scaly. How many non-scaly types you know that like 'em?)

Skillwise, I'd say priorities would be hide, move silently, and listen. You'll probably want to pick up a few ranks in ride, probably survival, some knowledge (dungeoneering)... see this is why intelligence is so important....

I'd stick with archery for mounted, then you'd have mobility and ranged attacks, very handy if you're doing anything tactical. Though I realize I have no idea what the movement rate of a dire weasel actually is.

I suddenly have the urge to create a kobold kingdom defended by kobold slingers on dire weasels.

Darrin
2008-11-20, 02:49 PM
I really wanted a dire weasel only for the awesomeness of the concept. :smallbiggrin: So I guess I can ditch the idea. It looks like a really solid build, but what is an earth kobold? Bahamut is the good dragongod right? If I.ll be going pure archer without mount Ill definitily steal it. =) Thanks

Earth kobold is a variant race in Unearthed Arcana (p. 17). I used it because it may have better stats than a standard kobold: -2 Str, -2 Con instead of -4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con.

Dragonborn of Bahumant is a ritual that can add the dragonblooded type to any humanoid. Races of the Dragon, p. 9., costs 100 GP. You can select one aspect of a dragon: heart, wings, or mind. Heart gives you a breath attack, wings gives you flight at certain hit dice, and mind gives you vision/blindsense abilities as you gain hit dice. You gain +2 Con, -2 Dex, and you lose most of your existing racial traits, but it's a good way to add flight without spending any feats, taking on level adjustment, or relying on spells/items.

Maybe I could make it a paladin/druid kind of thing. I think there is a feat out there that stacks mount with companion. And go with the trample and overrun tactic... I just like the idea of a kobold riding a dire weasel companion. They get climb speed. :smallbiggrin:

Ah, well what you want is a supermount build, then. Start with Paladin 5/Beastmaster 1 to pick up a mount, and use the Devoted Tracker feat (CAdv)to treat your mount as your animal companion. Now add Wild Plains Outrider and add those levels to your animal companion/mount.

From there, if you're a halfling, you can go into Halfling Outrider and those levels are stacked on top of *BOTH* your paladin and beastmaster levels to determine your mount/animal companion abilities. Unfortunately, there aren't any easy ways to turn your kobold into a halfling.

For a kobold... well, try this: Paladin 5/Beastmaster 1, pick up the Devoted Tracker feat. From there, more Beastmaster, Ranger, Wild Plains Outrider, or Cavalier levels will increase your mount/animal companion abilities.

only1doug
2008-11-20, 02:50 PM
out of curiosity are you going with venerable dragon-wrought cheese?

Kiyona
2008-11-21, 03:13 AM
Behold the mighty earth kobold warrior upon his, er, valiant...? dire weasel steed. Protecting the scaly from the vile gnome threat.

Hehehe, exactly! :smallbiggrin:

Mm, I was gonna give him 10 str and even some str boosting items. But mostly so he wont be completly defensless when he cant shoot. Movement rate is 40ft so no horse, but still better than normal. And if I would take scout levels I dont think DM would mind giving my mount fast movement instead of me. He is nice that way. ^^

A stupid question, does str or dex add to bonus damage with a bow or crossbow? I realize I hav no clue... :smalleek:

Darrin

Earth kobold seems like a great idea, losing dex is probably worth it to not get a -4 in str. Talked to DM though, paladins are banned (makes sense though, the group is mostly evil and it just wouldnt mesh well) so no devoted tracker. Too bad though, looked like an awesome build. =)

But, he allowed me to get skirmish while on a mount, he figured archers are nerfed as it is. ^^ So, back to my original plan then. A swift hunter ranger/scout/beastmaster dip.

Oh, and on dragonborn, thanks for the advice, but I really want to stay mounted. It is a great idea to keep until next time Ill be playing a kobold though. I just love the little scalys. :smallbiggrin:

out of curiosity are you going with venerable dragon-wrought cheese?

I have no idea what that is, but cheese is always tasty in small doses. Please explain to me. :smallbiggrin:

SoD
2008-11-21, 03:17 AM
You take the Dragonwrought feat (RotD) which makes a kobold basically more dragon-like, opens stuff up for other feats (like dragon wings), and stops the age penalties. So play a vurnerable dragonwrought kobold, and that's +3 int, +3 wis and +3 cha all for the cost of a single feat!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-11-21, 04:09 AM
Skirmish doesn't work while mounted, as per errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a), bolding added:

Page 12: Skirmish (class feature)
The second sentence of the skirmish class feature
should read as follows (new text indicated in red): She
deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks she
makes during any round in which she moves at least 10
feet away from where she was at the start of her turn.
The extra damage applies only to attacks made after the
scout has moved at least 10 feet. The skirmish ability
cannot be used while mounted.
This update should be made wherever the skirmish
ability description is presented (see also pages 31, 56,
and 177).

I'd consider a TWF Spirited Charge build, power attacking with a double weapon and the spell Lion's Charge (SC), with Pearls of Power to recover it between encounters. You could also possibly go with an alternative fighting style (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/), found in Dragon 326. The Mounted Combat style gives Rideby Attack at 2, Spirited Charge at 6, and Trample at 11. Use that with a Lance two-handed and the spell Rhino's Rush (SC) to deal x4 damage on your charge attack. Charger builds are especially nice for small-size characters on medium-size mounts, since large-size mounts usually won't fit into a dungeon crawl.

Kiyona
2008-11-21, 06:17 AM
SoD

That is a very nice thing to know. Thank you. =) But I dont think I will take it now, my kobold needs all the feats he can get his scaly claws on, and the mental stats arent that important.

Biffoniacus_Furiou

Yeah, I know, but DM is nice and houseruled it in. I can use skirmish while mounted. The party consist of a cleric of Cyric with a small army of undead, a wizard, and a barbarian who can deal out massive amounts of damage, so I guess he wants little kobold ranger to be able to hold his own. =)

I originaly wanted him to be a mounted combat fighter thou, so if that is possible with such a heavy penalty to str that would be awesome. =)

Weapon finesse lets him use dex to hit (not with a lance?) is there a way to get dex, or even int, to damage?? And how is it with bows and crossbows? Do I add str or dex to damage?

Im sorry for stupid questions, but I have never done a melee build in DnD. ^^

If you have any suggestions for a mounted combat- or skirmishbuild I would be very grateful. =)

Tsotha-lanti
2008-11-21, 06:31 AM
You cant?? Well that ruins everything...

Why would you have to ride the dire weasel? Use it to screen yourself while you use ranged attacks. An animal companion with level bonuses higher than your character level is amazingly good - just regular druid animal companions are usually more powerful than many party members around level 6+.

Kiyona
2008-11-21, 08:03 AM
Why would you have to ride the dire weasel? Use it to screen yourself while you use ranged attacks. An animal companion with level bonuses higher than your character level is amazingly good - just regular druid animal companions are usually more powerful than many party members around level 6+.

That could work I suppose, the image of a kobold hiding behind a dire weasel for cover, sniping away at its enemies, is almost as hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

So, how would I go about to create a powerful dire weasel? Since paladins are banned, the devoted tracker wont work. Some kind of ranger or druid build with beastmaster? I would like to avoid druid as much as possible, since I dont want spells. But maybe I could convince DM to let me trade spell lvls for feats or some such. Maybe trade spells and wildshape for a fighter feat progression and BA. Would that be to OP? Or even UP?

I still want to be able to give some hurt to enemies, not relying complete on the weasel. Is that possible?

Darrin
2008-11-21, 08:36 AM
A stupid question, does str or dex add to bonus damage with a bow or crossbow?

Mighty composite longbows allow you to add Str bonus to damage. Crossbows don't get any Str bonus or penalty (the string is pulled back mechanically, not via your arm strength). This makes crossbows ideal for low-strength characters such as wizards, since they don't get the strength penalty on damage.

Thrown weapons use Dex for attacks and Str for damage. There's a feat called Brutal Throw that switches Str bonus for attacks, but I can't see how that would help you.

There is a feat called Dead Eye in the Dragon Compendium (*NOT* the "Deadeye Shot" feat in PHBII, which sucks) that gives you Dex bonus on damage to targets within 30'. Requires Dex 17, PB Shot, Weapon Focus (ranged weapon), and BAB +1 (books says +14, but errata corrected this to +1). However, this is unlikely to be worth it within such a short range.

Talked to DM though, paladins are banned (makes sense though, the group is mostly evil and it just wouldnt mesh well) so no devoted tracker. Too bad though, looked like an awesome build. =)

Eh, paladin's one of the weaker base classes. What makes the build obscene is Halfling Outrider advancing both mount and animal companion at the same time. It drives your mount up to epic levels way before you get there. But that's not available to a kobold.

There are a variety of paladin variants that don't require Lawful Good. Devoted Tracker wants Smite Evil, however... there are ways around that but... well, probably not worth it in the long run.

But, he allowed me to get skirmish while on a mount, he figured archers are nerfed as it is. ^^ So, back to my original plan then. A swift hunter ranger/scout/beastmaster dip.

Sounds good. A Scout 4/Ranger 2/Beastmaster 1/Ranger +13 should be pretty effective with just Swift Hunter and Improved Skirmish. If you run into favored class trouble, I think I mentioned the Desert or Wild racial template already (Dragon #306) to switch your favored class to ranger.

Heliomance
2008-11-21, 08:36 AM
If he's banning paladins purely because of alignment not meshing withthe party, ask about the Paldin of Slaughter/Tyranny variants from UA.

Darrin
2008-11-21, 08:58 AM
So, how would I go about to create a powerful dire weasel? Since paladins are banned, the devoted tracker wont work. Some kind of ranger or druid build with beastmaster?

Beastmaster and Wild Plains Outrider add their full levels to calculating your animal companion abilities. So you'd probably want to take more levels in Beastmaster. The problem is those are no longer levels you'd be gaining in ranger or scout, so you'd be losing skirmish damage. You can try to make up for some of this with the PrCs I mentioned earlier (Dragon Devotee, Unseen Seer, Highland Stalker) which advance skirmish damage, but those are levels that don't advance your animal companion.

What you really need is some kind of alternate class feature... such as, give up your ranger spells to gain Animal Companion at 1st level instead of 4th, and treat your ranger levels as full druid levels for determining its capabilities. To make it a bit more balanced, maybe give up Favored Enemy at 1st level, too, since it's the lower levels where animal companions are going to be more effective than some PCs.

I would like to avoid druid as much as possible, since I dont want spells. But maybe I could convince DM to let me trade spell lvls for feats or some such. Maybe trade spells and wildshape for a fighter feat progression and BA. Would that be to OP? Or even UP?

There are druid variants that give up wild shape and some other class abilities, but they all retain spellcasting... and if a druid lost spellcasting, I can't imagine you could even call it a druid anymore. It'd be more like a monk with better class abilities.

I still want to be able to give some hurt to enemies, not relying complete on the weasel. Is that possible?

With skirmish? Sure. One level of Barbarian for Spirit Lion Totem gives you the pounce ability, full attack on a charge. Rage helps too.

If you do go with a Swift Hunter build, make sure your first favored enemy is something that is normally immune to precision damage. One of the features of the Swift Hunter feat is it allows you to apply skirmish damage to enemies that would normally be immune to it, such as undead/constructs/oozes/plants. Your first favored enemy should probably be undead, since that's probably one of the most common types of enemy you'll encounter. Next most likely... depends on your DM/campaign, but constructs is probably best, since golems are immune to so many other things. After that, oozes. Enemy plants... *shrug* usually burn pretty well.

Kiyona
2008-11-21, 08:59 AM
Sounds good. A Scout 4/Ranger 2/Beastmaster 1/Ranger +13 should be pretty effective with just Swift Hunter and Improved Skirmish. If you run into favored class trouble, I think I mentioned the Desert or Wild racial template already (Dragon #306) to switch your favored class to ranger.

That sounds awesome! :smallbiggrin: I was wondering how much xp I would loose multiclassing like that. But that solves it. =)
Do you know if how much the penalty is for shooting from "horse"back? Do I need the mounted combat, archer feats?
And thank you for clearing up the str/dex bouns to damage thing, I felt quite stupid. :smallredface:

Darrin
2008-11-21, 09:48 AM
Do you know if how much the penalty is for shooting from "horse"back? Do I need the mounted combat, archer feats?

I know very little about mounted combat... hmm, glancing at rules compendium. Ok, if your mount does not move any farther than their normal speed rating, there is no penalty on ranged attacks. If your mount moves more than their speed, such as with a double-move, charge, or running, then a -4 penalty is applied to ranged attacks, and -8 if the mount is running. You can reduce these penalties to -2/-4 with the Mounted Archery feat (PHB/Core), and Improved Mounted Archery improves this to zero/-2. I've never had to deal much with mounted combat, so I have no idea how often this happens... I would expect not a lot, since most of the time your mount will be charging into melee or move+standard attack. You can probably skip the Mounted Archery feats.

Oh, also there are some templates you can add to your Dire Weasel... see if your DM will allow any of these:

Magebred (Eberron p. 295): +2 natural armor, +4 to either Str/Dex/Con and +2 to the other two, -2 to training DCs, +10 to movement or another +2 natural armor or +4 to tracking, and a bonus feat such as Improved Natural Attack or Multiattack.

Horrid (Eberron p. 289): +5 natural armor, alignment = NE, +4 Con, +1d6 acid damage on primary natural attack, acid immunity, +4 to training DCs, Improved Natural Attack for all natural weapons.

Warbeast (MM2 p. 219): +1 HD, +3 Str, +3 Con, Wis +2, +10' speed, +2 on ride checks, proficient with all armor/barding.

Kiyona
2008-11-21, 09:52 AM
Ninja'd

Beastmaster and Wild Plains Outrider add their full levels to calculating your animal companion abilities. So you'd probably want to take more levels in Beastmaster. The problem is those are no longer levels you'd be gaining in ranger or scout, so you'd be losing skirmish damage. You can try to make up for some of this with the PrCs I mentioned earlier (Dragon Devotee, Unseen Seer, Highland Stalker) which advance skirmish damage, but those are levels that don't advance your animal companion.

Mm, I thought about that too. But I think that with the bonuses from natural bond and first level beastmaster, it will be alright up to lvl 10, but start fallling behind from there.

What you really need is some kind of alternate class feature... such as, give up your ranger spells to gain Animal Companion at 1st level instead of 4th, and treat your ranger levels as full druid levels for determining its capabilities. To make it a bit more balanced, maybe give up Favored Enemy at 1st level, too, since it's the lower levels where animal companions are going to be more effective than some PCs.

This is what I tried to do with the druid, but this is more clever. =) I really dont want spells anyway. (I have played way to many spellcasters)
I will try it with DM.

About the favoured enemy, I think kobolds are only allowed gnomes and fey, but I might be wrong. I dont have my books right now. If not, that is a great suggestions. Especially undead, there are a lot of them in this campaign.

Thank you for your help, it is really appreciated.
I love the playground, everyone here is so helpful, and willing to spend time to help strangers online. I think that is extrodinary. =)

[EDIT] and ninja'd again, You are a fast one. =) [EDIT]

Ok, yeah I probably wont need them then. Great. =)
Oh, those are some really neat templates. Can I just add them like that? Or does it count as a higher powerlevel, reducing his druidlevel even more?

Darrin
2008-11-21, 12:56 PM
About the favoured enemy, I think kobolds are only allowed gnomes and fey, but I might be wrong. I dont have my books right now. If not, that is a great suggestions. Especially undead, there are a lot of them in this campaign.

I'm not aware of any restrictions on picking your favored enemy, unless you're using a variant ranger class or racial substitution level. Besides... kobolds are almost universally reviled as annoying nuisances... hard for me to imagine they only have gnomes and fey as enemies.

Oh, those are some really neat templates. Can I just add them like that? Or does it count as a higher powerlevel, reducing his druidlevel even more?

The Desert and Wild templates have a level adjustment of +0, so you can apply them to any base race without affecting your ECL. But they are from Dragon Magazine and are 3.0 material, so some DMs may not allow them because of that. If you can't track down issue #306, check Crystalkeep's pdfs for the 3.0 templates, which should have all the necessary details.

Desert template: base stats stay the same. +1 vs saves against fire, -1 vs saves against cold. +2 racial bonus to wilderness lore and intuit direction, which translates easily enough into just a +2 survival bonus in 3.5. If the base race has spell-like abilities (kobolds normally don't), then you gain create water 1/day.

Wild template: +2 Str, -2 Int, -2 Cha. +5' to your base speed. Loses all racial skill bonuses, which for kobolds would be +2 on craft (trapmaking), profession (miner), and search. Gains 1 extra skill point per level (same as humans), and +2 racial bonus on listen, +2 on spot, and +4 on wilderness lore (survival). Also gets a -2 penalty on bluff, diplomacy, and sense motive. Loses any spell-like abilities.

A Wild Earth kobold might be the best option, although you do wind up with -2 on three stats. You'd start with: -2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha. But no Str penalty. As an earth kobold, you also gain:

* +1 racial attack bonus against creatures with the air subtype.
* -2 vs spells/abilities with the air subtype or from creatures with the air subtype
* Stability, +4 to resist bull rush/trip attacks when standing on solid ground (but not when climbing/flying/riding).

(Your racial bonus on craft (trapmaking) on stonework traps would normally go up to +4, but the Wild template removes this ability.)

Also, there was a web enhancement for Races of the Dragon on the WotC website that added some additional racial abilities to kobolds:

* Natural weapons: two primary claw attacks and a secondary bite attack, 1d3 damage each.
* Slight build: whenever it would be advantageous, treat as one size smaller. (Hardly ever comes up but could be useful for an additional +4 on hide checks).
* Weapon proficiency: gains martial weapon proficiency for heavy and light pick.
* Weapon familiarity: treat great picks as martial weapons.

And, finally, don't forget sundark goggles, 10 GP, Races of the Dragon p. 122. Cancels the penalty for light sensitivity.