PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #609 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2008-11-20, 03:20 PM
New comic is up.

Shas aia Toriia
2008-11-20, 03:23 PM
That was fantastic, as usual. Way to go, Giant!

FoE
2008-11-20, 03:25 PM
Oh gods, this is bad. This is bad!

C'mon, Celia, where the hell are you?

Texas Jedi
2008-11-20, 03:26 PM
Great comic Giant!

Getting worried about Haley's group.

PhantomFox
Uh oh, this doesn't look good. I hope she doesn't die, since we've been through all this with Roy before. How will the cavalry come to save the day I wonder...

Surfing HalfOrc
Woot! A daytime post! I knew wasting time at work would pay off sooner or later!

And: OUCH! Massive damage to Haley!

Lira
Ouch :smalleek:.

I'm glad we get to hear more about Haley's father though, I love it when questions I've had for a long time get answered.

EDIT: I like the title repitition too (428 is also called "It takes a thief")

Paragraph
Wow, what a surprising end...

Does that mean he actually IS 4 levels higher than her? Sounds like more than a tough fight even under fair conditions, but she didn't really stand a chance under this circumstances, not even remotely. Quite distressing.

Simon

Mephit
2008-11-20, 03:27 PM
Cinematic-style awesome. Although a bit shocking. :smalleek:

So 2 down, 4 to go, I guess. :smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
FoE's right - this isn't looking so good! I'm hoping we don't get left on a cliff-hanger here and switch back to Roy/Elan/V/anyone else.

thestarvingpoet
What a great start to the afternoon!

But also... EEP!

Davedude
2008-11-20, 03:28 PM
Here I was hoping Roy would get revived soon, and another character (Probably) dies!

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-20, 03:28 PM
So Haley's entire backstory situation is a result of Bozzak's scheming? That's pretty cool. She's still in deep trouble.

Animefunkmaster
2008-11-20, 03:29 PM
Holy mother of all things sacred... we are loosing main characters here. Someone get in here!!! Come on Elan you know she is in trouble use the 'way of the Plot' to discern her location and somehow telephone in (wishful thinking).

Man, that sneak attack really surprised me. Good comic Giant.

Pandabear
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! :smalleek:

Oracle_Hunter
Man, we need some Dwarf Ex Machina right about now. :smalleek:

Still, I have to applaud The Giant's weaving of exposition into action - it's always been a strength of his, and it works great! :smallbiggrin:

Also: I find his depiction of tumbling hilarious for some reason. Particularly when a big Half-Orc Fighter/Rogue is doing it :smalltongue:

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and "Your purchasing habits are at your own discretion" is excellent :smallsmile:

Jetty
Nice strip.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-20, 03:30 PM
Wow, what a surprising end...

Does that mean he actually IS 4 levels higher than her? Sounds like more than a tough fight even under fair conditions, but she didn't really stand a chance under this circumstances, not even remotely. Quite distressing.

Simon

When he said Rapid XP gain at the end, he obviously meant that he's considered a rival like Crystal is, so whenever Haley gained a level so did he. And since he's older than her he'd most likely be higher leveled than her to begin with, so it's plausible.

At least due to the fact that she doesn't have X's in her eyes we know she's alive (barely). Way to keep us hangin' on the edge of our seats, Mr. Burlew! You know how to deliver!

Shatteredtower
2008-11-20, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I'll be surprised if anyone hates this one for any reason other than hating to see Haley beaten or suffering.

Jetty
2008-11-20, 03:32 PM
By the way, is that the greenhilt sword?

Morty
When he said Rapid XP gain at the end, he obviously meant that he's considered a rival like Crystal is, so whenever Haley gained a level so did he. And since he's older than her he'd most likely be higher leveled than her to begin with, so it's plausible.

Ummm... nope. I belive that he meant that killing thieves who try to leave the guild is not only profitable but has given him enough XP to be 4 levels higher than Haley.

Twilight Jack

At least due to the fact that she doesn't have X's in her eyes we know she's alive (barely). Way to keep us hangin' on the edge of our seats, Mr. Burlew! You know how to deliver!

What he actually meant was an answer to Haley's question as to why he feels it necessary to KILL all non-Guild thieves, rather than just drive them away. He gains XP from personally offing them, allowing him to have progressed much higher in level than Haley.

Ted The Bug
2008-11-20, 03:33 PM
Ow!
Even if Celia were to show up, what would she do exactly?

someonenonotyou
2008-11-20, 03:34 PM
Awesome yeah go rich i cant wait for the next one

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-20, 03:35 PM
By the way, is that the greenhilt sword?

No. It's longer and thinner, and you can't wield greatswords one-handed. I'd say it's a Bastard Sword (as opposed to all the Katanas we saw in Azure City).

Lissou
That's not looking for for Haley...
At least she's alive AND said "resurrection(s)" AND we got to hear a bit mor about her father. I'm more and more curious about it.

Finwe

Actually, I'm pretty sure he was referring to the fact that all the rogues he killed were a good source of experience.

Kcalehc
2008-11-20, 03:36 PM
Oh dear. I'm guessing no XX's inthe eyes means 0hp (and possibly dropping) but not actual death yet.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-20, 03:37 PM
Ummm... nope. I belive that he meant that killing thieves who try to leave the guild is not only profitable but has given him enough XP to be 4 levels higher than Haley.

Which means he's like LV 17... or higher (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95005). Man, Greysky City is home to some powerful characters :smalleek:

Zaggab
2008-11-20, 03:37 PM
Somehow I think Belkar will come and save the day.
How, I don't know

bibliophile
2008-11-20, 03:38 PM
I don't see how Haley can avoid being killed soon. This buzzock is clearly higher level than she is, and shes outnumbered.

T-O-E
Uh oh, this is really bad.

RecklessFable
Holy smokes!

Jeivar
2008-11-20, 03:39 PM
Ow!

Well, I'm pretty sure Crystal has an abysmal Will Save . . .

harrydresden
2008-11-20, 03:40 PM
Is everyone taking it for granted that Bozzok was really the initial instigator behind Haley's pop's disapperance? After all, Haley was leaning toward not believing it, and Bozzok himself claimed it was merely a distraction... Interesting plot twist if it is true, but I would prefer some deeper cause behind her father's capture.

(Not that Rich would take anyone's preferences into account, and I'm not comlaining about the amazing storyline at all, just to make that clear. :smallsmile:)

orcmonk89
2008-11-20, 03:41 PM
Ouch. Not looking good for our #1 rogue... :smalleek:

Now would be a good time for a natural 20 on the bluff check.

Järnblomma
Oh my! That surprised me completely! O_o

But she's not dead (no X's as people have pointed out) and we can hope a dwarf is on his way...

Or maybe the overly charismatic healer.

Or fake character-growth Belkar.

Actually, there are a couple of persons who can help out...

Lord_Ventnor
No! Haley! HAYLEEEEEEEEEY!!!

Morty
2008-11-20, 03:43 PM
Which means he's like LV 17... or higher (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95005). Man, Greysky City is home to some powerful characters :smalleek:

It's most certainly a major city and a home to one of the most powerful thieving guilds in its part of the world. 17th level Rogue running the Thieves Guild in such a city is perfectly belivable, if you ask me.

chibibar
2008-11-20, 03:43 PM
ouch... Haley is not dead :) just unconscious.... (No X.X eyes)

Grunthos
2008-11-20, 03:46 PM
Aieeeeeee!

Mind you, Haley's been asking for this for a while. Confidence is great. Overconfidence, not so much.

Edhelras
2008-11-20, 03:56 PM
Noooo!!! Not Haley!!!

Saph
2008-11-20, 03:56 PM
Ouch. That looked painful.

Stormwolf
2008-11-20, 04:06 PM
Aieeeeeee! Mind you, Haley's been asking for this for a while. Confidence is great. Overconfidence, not so much.

Not really overconfidence when the Sending included "bring diamonds for resurrection(s)" . Haley just fights smart (easy fighting minions, not too hard fighting Crystal... unfortunately she just ran into someone smarter) but she knew she has a good chance of getting killed here.

It's kinda hard to see what's going to stop one of them coup de gracing her now though :/

Mando Knight
2008-11-20, 04:14 PM
Mrrh... RRRHhhh... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tim5nU3DwIE&feature=related) nnnoooOOOOooo! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigNo)

St. Salieri
2008-11-20, 04:20 PM
Crystal looks a little loopy in the second panel. I wonder if Haley took a level in monk (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0408.html) without telling anyone...

Also: I find his depiction of tumbling hilarious for some reason. Particularly when a big Half-Orc Fighter/Rogue is doing it :smalltongue:

I had a similar reaction.

"Surgeon General's Warning: Stick-figure heads are springier than real-person heads. Do not try these stunts at home. Unless you're a stick-person."

Grunthos
2008-11-20, 04:20 PM
Presumably, the diamonds were for Roy's benefit.

But the larger point was less about the situation in Greysky City, and more about Haley's behavior for most of the run of the comic. While she may recognize strong odds against, her *tactical* thinking is generally very aggressive, and she cuts the margins pretty fine. Part of staying just one step ahead of your opponents is staying two steps ahead so that their unexpected moves still don't catch you. Relying on her conditional sneak attack immunity without paying attention to possible changes in condition - that's overconfidence. And it's not the first time.

Not to harp on her, here... leadership is tough. But she can learn from this. If she lives.

Ravenred
2008-11-20, 04:33 PM
Oooooh... Haley's in deep MiTD manure now...

Three main sources of salvation present themselves:

- Celia... ditz as she is,she's still got some power, although I find it hard to believe that she can either outfight or outwit both Bozzak AND Crystal.
- Belkar... absolutely capable of taking on the two rogues (yes, yes, one Rogue/Fighter) and at the very least drawing them away from Haley. This is, of course, dependent on the Loki cleric panicking enough to remove the MoJ
- Roy... my preference, simply because it brings the "dead Roy" storyline to a conclusion (which has been overdue by at least 50 strips, but I digress), but once again that depends on the Loki priest being very activist

A Deus Ex Burlew is possible, but hopefully the resolution is more a product of good writing from the existing pieces.

Can't wait for 610

Superglucose
2008-11-20, 04:35 PM
She's not dead yet.

Remember, daddy was a first edition thief, it runs in the family :smallwink:

Mando Knight
2008-11-20, 04:40 PM
- Roy... my preference, simply because it brings the "dead Roy" storyline to a conclusion (which has been overdue by at least 50 strips, but I digress), but once again that depends on the Loki priest being very activist

See, I think that it would be somewhat awkwardly awesome if Roy suddenly appears, kicks all of the Thieves' Guild members' rears, and as Bozzok calls him out on being dead just moments before, Roy replies "Martial. Power." just before swinging his greatsword straight through the guy's gut...

chiasaur11
2008-11-20, 05:25 PM
She's not dead yet.
No Xs for eyes and everything.
So, there might be a chance for Durkon to save some money.

On the other hand, she's out for now, and that is really bad news.

Welf
2008-11-20, 05:26 PM
Uhhh, Roy golemfied, V run loose, Belcar comatose, Celia on the run, Hailey near dead. Seems as if the GM was in bad mood the last sessions.

omgpeachsnapple
2008-11-20, 05:28 PM
HALEY .... NOOOOOOOOOOO

:smallsigh:

Mauve Shirt
2008-11-20, 05:29 PM
Bad news. :smalleek:
So Bozzok's behind her father's imprisonment??? That particular plot thickens!

HOLEkevin
2008-11-20, 05:30 PM
Pow! Bozzok, master of distraction!

carebearbecky
2008-11-20, 05:32 PM
Ooof! Now that looked like it hurt.

headhoncho
2008-11-20, 05:33 PM
If this guy's 17th or higher, she really had no chance.

I've really loved this webcomic since its inception, and I'm guessing the view I'm about to express will be a minority one here... but I'm starting to lose interest. A lot of the magic for me was in the interaction of all of the characters together. This time apart has felt too extended, and perhaps a bit too dark, for my own personal tastes. And Roy has been dead for what has felt like an eternity.

Obviously, YMMV, but I'm really loving Erfworld a lot more right now, and that's kind of a shock to me.

tenguro
2008-11-20, 05:35 PM
Very, VERY, unexpected, and as usual, great comic!

daggaz
2008-11-20, 08:04 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! :smalleek:

Man, you summed it up best.. =(

Mike_the_Mystic
2008-11-20, 08:04 PM
While i'm not too sure, but imaling means that haley is going to die soon, right? She doesn't have the x.x eyes, but i'm not sure you can survive that, unless the cleric comes fast, it will most certainly look like Roy's #2 is going to be meeting him soon. :eek:

JanessaVR
2008-11-21, 12:46 AM
Looking like a TPK in the works for this half of the party at this rate...hope Durkon gets a good deal on those diamonds!

Starscream
2008-11-21, 12:47 AM
This doesn't look good for Haley. At least she could definitely outsmart her equal-in-levels counterpart Crystal. Now she's stuck between two rogues (one of whom is at least 4 levels higher than her) and from the looks of it plunging towards negative hit points.

And Bozzok is responsible for Ian Starshine's imprisonment? The plot thickens!

Zevox
2008-11-21, 12:53 AM
:smalleek: Well, that's not good. She isn't dead yet - no Xs for eyes - but prospects for her remaining that way don't look too good. Celia needs to pull off something miraculous here. Or that Cleric needs to de-curse Belkar in a hurry.

Or Durkon needs to save up for another batch of diamonds...

Zevox

Flame of Anor
2008-11-21, 12:55 AM
So my quick calculation puts Bozzok's damage at around 40 points...eep! :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

Anyway, here's my theory: The cleric of Loki will finish the Sending, then panic and heal Belkar. Belkar may or may not kill the cleric, then will go out and start massacring rogues. Durkon will get the Sending, then send his own Sending to Vaarsuvius, who will magically locate them (probably using Celia as a scrying focus) and charge in. Between Belkar, Celia, and Vaarsuvius, they will defeat the Guild and rescue Haley or her body, then move on to resurrecting Roy (and Haley if applicable). While I don't want Haley to die, it could be cool to see the Chaotic Good-ish afterlife, though. We'll see, though, won't we...

Edea
2008-11-21, 01:02 AM
Huh. I wonder why Haley didn't take Crystal's dagger after knocking her out (she seems totally out of it in panel 2).

B.I.T.T.
2008-11-21, 01:04 AM
:smalleek:

Amarsir
2008-11-21, 01:05 AM
Mommy?

Haley's going to be OK, right? Right? :smalleek:

(I figure after Old Pete gets healed up he'll come back and make things right. It would redeem him for selling her out, and he seems like the only one who can get to her right now anyway.)

RosesOnConcrete
2008-11-21, 01:05 AM
*wibble*

OK, since when do freaking stick figures make me get all nervous for them?

My bet's on either Celia proving she does indeed have a spine, or something along the lines of "Durkon Ex Machina". I don't even wanna think about her dying.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-11-21, 01:06 AM
HALEEEEEEY!!!!

Wow. This is so not looking good.

JonahFalcon
2008-11-21, 01:09 AM
She doesn't have X's for eyes. She's fine.

RosesOnConcrete
2008-11-21, 01:18 AM

No X's yet. Still nervous for my favorite rogue.

JonahFalcon
2008-11-21, 01:22 AM
If you've ever read Lois McMaster Bujold, you know that a writer always considers, "What's the worst thing that can happen to <name>?"

Niley
2008-11-21, 01:23 AM
Aw come on! Where the [censored] is Celia?!

Stormthorn
2008-11-21, 01:24 AM
That was awesome! I mean, as far as awesome villainy goes.

chiasaur11
2008-11-21, 01:32 AM
I think she'll make it, between the fact that you can regain consciousness by yourself (but the odds are really bad) and the good old narrative contrivance.

No one can reveal they were the one who betrayed someone's pop mid fight and get away with it.

Guchalez
2008-11-21, 01:35 AM
I really hope Haley makes it out OK, I don't want to think how she will, I'll let the Giant surprise me.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-11-21, 01:39 AM
If you've ever read Lois McMaster Bujold, you know that a writer always considers, "What's the worst thing that can happen to <name>?"

But is <name> in this case Haley, Bozzok, Crystal or Celia?

I think that whatever Bozzok's friends said to Ian to make him run off will be revealed as either something with actual weight or some sort of hilarious joke. Personally, I think
(Speculation)

They informed him that his brother, who had earlier taken on the name Lord Tyrinar had softened up and was willing to have a little sense talked into him. Seeing the (possibly short-lived) opportunity to rebuild the rift that had torn his family apart and make life easier for all those suffering under Tyrinar's rule, Ian took off.
...yes, that was just a convoluted way of getting

:elan: and :haley: to find out they are first-cousins.

More than likely, it would have something to do with Mia, Ian's wife, Haley's mom (who Haley thinks left because she wasn't good enough).

One last thing...I'm just glad we got to see a 2-Handed sneak attack with a Greatsword...or a Broadsword, or a Longsword, or a Bastard Sword or whatever that is.

Flame of Anor
2008-11-21, 01:45 AM

Fine? Not dead yet, but I wouldn't call it "fine."

Captain Six
2008-11-21, 01:52 AM
You know, if all the PCs get killed they'll probably be less divided than they are now. :smallconfused:

randomnondescri
2008-11-21, 02:05 AM
Presumably, the diamonds were for Roy's benefit.

Haley says that she wasn't expecting to survive this battle. She set a clever trap for Crystal, and up until this point, did a pretty darn good job as surviving and buying time for the sending... Which of course, begs the question, how much time has passed? Obviously there's been some "off-camera" goings on, but how much?

Oh and "schtuth" sounds like it hurts... :smalleek:

Super_slash2
2008-11-21, 02:12 AM
Wow. This strip was awesomely done.....

I was wondering why Bozzok would tumble in panel 6 for no reason; I didn't think he was setting up for a Sneak Attack all the way through. And even then. since she was facing him, he HAD to tell her she was flanking hi, just so Haley would look back (since Crystal's Level is unproven).

Did anyone else see this in like, movie video mode? I saw this unfold dramatically in slow motion when I first read it. Especially the fact that Bozzok DIDN'T scream Sneak Attack but just muttered it through his teeth.

Why does Bozzok hold his sword with two hands for the Sneak Attack? It has to be pre-planned, he threw down the shield to do it.....

I know how Haley will be saved (if she is to be saved),

The Sending Spell will work, Durkon will know she's in trouble and Hinjo will try to summon her to them, leaving behind Roy's Body, I guess. The Summoning will work because that effect is implied with Cloister (Not that Liriam got in through Durkon but that she managed to leave Durkon's Dungeon afterwards). Of course, since Mr. Burlew dislikes people guessing his plot lines, he might change it but that's my take on it. Celia can't do much and she's still got Hank to worry about; Belkar would still be disoriented and even if he isn't, he's even lower in level than Haley, I think. The only way to take them down in a fight is to chuck Mr. Scruffy at them; distractions will be the only way out. However, if they all DO make it out of this alive, Celia will really have redeemed herself since she's not even been in a real fight (I presume).

Ron Miel
2008-11-21, 02:14 AM
Wow, fantastic strip. There's so much happening.

I'm predicting that Belkar will come to Haley's rescue.

I'm more worried about Celia. Why doesn't she answer? It's looking very bad for her. I think she may be dead. :smalleek:

Bozzok's sword is very similar to Roy's. Co-incidence? Could be some significance in it. Bozzok's half-orc, isn't he? Maybe his human side is descended from great grandpa Greenhilt.

We're given some background on Haley's father. I guess Bozzok was telling the truth. What was in the letter? I bet it was something to do with Haley's mom leaving.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-11-21, 02:17 AM
Of course, since Mr. Burlew dislikes people guessing his plot lines, he might change it but that's my take on it.

Rich does mention that in the FAQ, but since he wrote that there's been a rule about putting all your speculations in spoilers. That way, Rich will choose not to click on them and will never see them. It's why I put all my speculations, no matter how nonsensical or implausible in spoilers...just in case my mind manages for one brief moment to synch with Mr. Burlew's.

Anyhow...about your theory:

Hinjo's not a spellcaster and even he had one capable of summoning the Order to him, he probably would have cast it by now with or without a message.

tyckspoon
2008-11-21, 02:17 AM

I was wondering why Bozzok would tumble in panel 6 for no reason; I didn't think he was setting up for a Sneak Attack all the way through. And even then. since she was facing him, he HAD to tell her she was flanking hi, just so Haley would look back (since Crystal's Level is unproven).

Rules-wise, Bozzok would Tumble both to be able to move through Haley's space and to avoid the Attack of Opportunity for doing so. He doesn't really need to- an unarmed Haley without the ability to Sneak Attack him isn't much of a threat- but it's probably a habit for him. A lot of characters with good Tumble checks do it just because they can.

whitelaughter
2008-11-21, 02:20 AM
that haley is going to die soon, right? She doesn't have the x.x eyes, but i'm not sure you can survive that, unless the cleric comes fast, it will most certainly look like Roy's #2 is going to be meeting him soon. :eek:

Haley is chaotic - there's no way she'll be heading to Celestia. While I hate the thought of Haley being killed, we may get a glimpse at the chaotic good afterlife shortly: possibly being given the tour by Shojo!

Nice touch with Bozzok switching to a twohanded grip with that bastard sword to finish Haley off.

whitelaughter
2008-11-21, 02:24 AM
You know, if all the PCs get killed they'll probably be less divided than they are now. :smallconfused:

How? Durkon can join Roy, sure - but Elan *can't* be Lawful, Haley is Chaotic, V seems True Neutral, while Belkar can give demons tips on how to be CE. They'll be scattered across the planes.

OH, and I hope that Celia *doesn't* come back - Haley can be raised! If Celia dies, she's gone!

Eloel
2008-11-21, 02:26 AM

The Sending Spell will work, Durkon will know she's in trouble and Hinjo will try to summon her to them, leaving behind Roy's Body, I guess. The Summoning will work because that effect is implied with Cloister (Not that Liriam got in through Durkon but that she managed to leave Durkon's Dungeon afterwards). Of course, since Mr. Burlew dislikes people guessing his plot lines, he might change it but that's my take on it. Celia can't do much and she's still got Hank to worry about; Belkar would still be disoriented and even if he isn't, he's even lower in level than Haley, I think. The only way to take them down in a fight is to chuck Mr. Scruffy at them; distractions will be the only way out. However, if they all DO make it out of this alive, Celia will really have redeemed herself since she's not even been in a real fight (I presume).
No reason? He tumbled through her space (he has to tumble to do it), to get to her other side, where she would have her BACK against Crystal, unable to see her coming..

DBear
2008-11-21, 02:38 AM
Ow!

bring the lightning (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0070.html) , for one thing...

Grey Watcher
2008-11-21, 02:41 AM
...Why does Bozzok hold his sword with two hands for the Sneak Attack? It has to be pre-planned, he threw down the shield to do it.....

With non-light weapons (such as longswords and bastard swords, which is what Bozzok appears to be wielding), you gain a bonus to damage for wielding them with two hands. If Bozzok is capable of using the Power Attack feat, he gets an even bigger bonus when using Power Attack two-handed. Basically, he was setting Haley up for a single, fight-ending hit, and was doing his best to pile on as much damage as possible.

Also, an intense comic. I'm actually kinda siding with Haley and being at least a little skeptical of Bozzok's story that he sold out Ian Starshine. Still, it's an interesting thought and bears investigation (once Haley's finished being a damsel in distress, at any rate).

I anxiously await the resolution to this!

King of Nowhere
2008-11-21, 02:46 AM
OH CRAP!
Halwy's face when Bozzok sneack attacked her was also mine. I tought he was the kind of guy who send other people to do his dirty job. Also, from his equipment, I tought he was a fighter.
Now dude is friggin scary. Also, he's the second highest level villain in the strip, way below Redcloack :smalleek: (even if :redcloak: could probably still beat him, being clerics broken)

Enlong
2008-11-21, 03:00 AM
Rich does mention that in the FAQ, but since he wrote that there's been a rule about putting all your speculations in spoilers. That way, Rich will choose not to click on them and will never see them. It's why I put all my speculations, no matter how nonsensical or implausible in spoilers...just in case my mind manages for one brief moment to synch with Mr. Burlew's.

Anyhow...about your theory:

Hinjo's not a spellcaster and even he had one capable of summoning the Order to him, he probably would have cast it by now with or without a message.

Erm... he's a Paladin, so yes, he is a spellcaster. However, Paladins don't get any kind of summoning or teleportation spells anyway.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-11-21, 03:04 AM
Erm... he's a Paladin, so yes, he is a spellcaster.

Let me rephrase that: not a spellcaster capable of anything worth mentioning. Except for maybe summoning mounts for everyone.

Ridureyu
2008-11-21, 03:05 AM
I've been in a few games in which the PCs all run up against enemies whom they have no hope of defeating, with no way to escape. Sometimes a DMPC comes in and saves the day for much glory. Sometimes it's a plot-driven moment to progress things. Sometimes we all just die/are beaten/both/etc.

...And sometimes we roll a miraculous number of 20s, the DM rolls 1s, and we make him very, very angry.

Oh, and a hilarious way to end this would be a REAL Deus Ex Machina. Just have part of the ceiling randomly cave in and land on Bozzak's head.

Dr. Simon
2008-11-21, 03:07 AM
Interesting.

I note that Ian Starshine seems to be imprisoned in the Western Continent. And where is Girard's Gate also located? I see converging plotlines for the next segment.

Super_slash2
2008-11-21, 03:16 AM
Sorry, I wasn't clear. When I say Hinjo summoning, I meant that any of Hinjo's minions + that part of The Order Of The Stick (if they can). Since Hinjo is the ruler, I kind-of meant that any abilities his loyal subjects possess becomes an ability he can command.

You misunderstood ozgun92, I meant that at the time I read it, The Tumble seemed useless and random. Only at the end did it become clear; just an example of good fore-sight.

I thought Summoning required you to know where the subject was.... this is what you get for learning about a game from a web comic, heh.

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-21, 03:18 AM
OH CRAP!
Halwy's face when Bozzok sneack attacked her was also mine. I tought he was the kind of guy who send other people to do his dirty job. Also, from his equipment, I tought he was a fighter.
Now dude is friggin scary. Also, he's the second highest level villain in the strip, way below Redcloack :smalleek: (even if :redcloak: could probably still beat him, being clerics broken)

Bozzak's not way below Redcloak in levels. Redcloak has been crunched to be around level 15, while to sneak attack haley, Bozzak needs to be level 17.

factotum
2008-11-21, 03:19 AM
I note that Ian Starshine seems to be imprisoned in the Western Continent. And where is Girard's Gate also located? I see converging plotlines for the next segment.

Pretty sure that's been the general theory for some time now...this just confirms the part about Lord Tyrinar's domain being on the Western continent, which was only speculation until now.

Anyway, it's difficult to see how anyone could get Haley out of this. Even if Belkar were to be cured by the cleric and could somehow join the fight without re-activating his Mark of Justice, a poorly optimised level 13 Ranger isn't going to last long against a level 13 Assassin and a level 17+ Rogue, and that's assuming there are no other high level members of the Guild wandering around (like that fighter who took down Haley a couple of strips ago).

David Argall
2008-11-21, 03:39 AM
OK, Haley is in deep do-do... How can she get out?...

Celia finally shows, and makes a deal, details could be anything, based on her being a flier and able to get away if they don't agree not to finish off Haley.
The cleric finishes the sending and gets Belkar back to normal and he goes on a rampage at least long enough to distract Crystal and her boss, again, allowing Celia to get Haley out of there.
V shows up and starts casting fireballs, etc or at least threatening to if anybody bothers Haley. Durkon may be useful in the longer run, but he can't get to Greysky until the emergency is long over. About all he can do is Raise Dead. But V might have been heading to the city for a week now and could be right outside the door.

I can't say I think much of the Ian Starshine idea, but it doesn't hurt to have an explanation as to why Daddy left Haley in town here. And the explanation is not impossible.

Bozzak is apparently pure rogue. He needs to have 17+ levels to sneak attack Haley, and that already makes him one of the highest levels we have yet to see.

Pronounceable
2008-11-21, 03:59 AM
It's just a fleshwound...

That said, I like Bozzok more by the strip. It's the little things that add up (like dropping the shield). Here's hoping he'll be all right.
And Haley will be fine in the end. It might take a resurrection on Durkon's part, but she'll ultimately be fine.

Scion_of_Darkness
2008-11-21, 04:27 AM
Nicely done. Its about time somebody used the stalling for time tactic in this comic. However I expected it to be used on V, her lengthy responses would make it more effective.

Veneficus
2008-11-21, 04:40 AM
Oh no! Poor Hayley!

I think its time for Belkar to even up the fight somehow. Not sure exactly how as Bozzok is an extremely powerful NPC.

Perhaps if Celia and Belkar work together they could overcome him....

Red XIV
2008-11-21, 04:50 AM
It's most certainly a major city and a home to one of the most powerful thieving guilds in its part of the world. 17th level Rogue running the Thieves Guild in such a city is perfectly belivable, if you ask me.
Level 17 is ludicrously high in the OotS world, though. The only living character we know to be of a higher level is Xykon. Belkar speculated a while back that Redcloak is probably 17th level, but even that's not certain.

I'm more worried about Celia. Why doesn't she answer? It's looking very bad for her. I think she may be dead. :smalleek:
An off-panel death for an important character? I doubt it.

Scion_of_Darkness
2008-11-21, 05:08 AM
If Celia were to die it would not be off panel, but perhaps it is simultaneously happening with the current events and will be shown later.

banjo1985
2008-11-21, 05:13 AM
Oh....oh dear :smalleek:

C'mon Belkar! Save the day! Otherwise it'll be left to Mr Scruffy...

Noobfish
2008-11-21, 05:15 AM
Hmmm... For those who say Belkar doesn't stand a chance, remember, he's in the same room with a decently-high-level cleric. I smell buffs and lots of them. :smallsmile:

Maryring
2008-11-21, 05:15 AM
If the story switches now, there will be much blood shed as the masses rage against the injustice that is cliffhangers.

hungryLIKEALION
2008-11-21, 05:21 AM
Mommy, I'm scared :((((

Samurai Jill
2008-11-21, 05:38 AM
Oh gods, this is bad. This is bad!
C'mon, Celia, where the hell are you?
E-ve-erry cloud has a silverr lining...

If Haley dies, maybe she can go visit Shojo. Shojo is good.

Paramour Pink
2008-11-21, 05:41 AM
Wow, it really seems like the only one that can carry on the main story is Elan. Everyone else is either dead, dying or distracted. :smalleek:

raphfrk
2008-11-21, 05:42 AM
Anyway, it's difficult to see how anyone could get Haley out of this. Even if Belkar were to be cured by the cleric and could somehow join the fight without re-activating his Mark of Justice, a poorly optimised level 13 Ranger isn't going to last long against a level 13 Assassin and a level 17+ Rogue, and that's assuming there are no other high level members of the Guild wandering around (like that fighter who took down Haley a couple of strips ago).

However, he would have healer support. How much of a difference does that make? In any case, it would be 2 vs 2.

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-21, 05:45 AM
Also, at level 17, Bozzak has roughly the same Base Attack Bonus as Belkar and other Martial characters. If Belkar can keep Bozzak at bay with his multiple attacks and superior hit dice (11d8+2d12 vs 17d6), then Haley can continue to take on Crystal.

Roderick_BR
2008-11-21, 05:59 AM
Bad day, bad day, bad day.
Awesome comic. Now I'll be on my toes for days till the next update :smallbiggrin:

factotum
2008-11-21, 06:00 AM
Also, at level 17, Bozzak has roughly the same Base Attack Bonus as Belkar and other Martial characters. If Belkar can keep Bozzak at bay with his multiple attacks and superior hit dice (11d8+2d12 vs 17d6), then Haley can continue to take on Crystal.

You mean, the same Haley who is currently lying unconscious on the floor, quite possibly into negative HP and falling fast? Going to take a lot of healing to bring her back into the fight, and we don't know just how powerful the cleric of Loki actually is--he only has to be level 7 to be able to cast both Remove Curse and Sending.

Hamilkar
2008-11-21, 06:03 AM
Whyyyy...........
Why did Harley not take Crystals knife and cut her throat!? :smalleek:
Harly is to good for this world. :smallwink: Although she isn't dead, yet!

It seems the hero Belkar must come to the rescue! Only his curse must be removed for that!

Lokasenna
2008-11-21, 06:08 AM
I think the fact that Haley isn't dead yet means she isn't going to die now. When was the last time someone was killed when they were unconscious without waking up first?

I do buy Bozzak's explanation, if only for the fact that he knows where Ian is, which I'm sure isn't public knowledge. Unless Haley told him in Origins off screen, or he reads incoming mail. Wait, Haley probably did tell him. Never mind.

Belkster11
2008-11-21, 06:26 AM
I don't know how to do spoilers, but this is what I think:

If V's approaching Greysky City, he may notice a fight going on and go investigate. Once he learns that it's Haley in trouble, he'll go bloody apecrap.I could imagine him pulling Darth Vader, killing everyone on sight. BUUUUUT, that'll have to be a stretch, considering that he'll have to KNOW that Haley's there, otherwise he'll be wasting his time zapping up people.

A more plausible theroy is that the cleric heals Belkar in a panic, and Belkar gets to kill off everyone.

But for some reason, I like the blood-thirsty V going in and killing all the Thieves Guild members...I've read too much "Looking for Group".

END SPOILERS

Jubal_Barca
2008-11-21, 06:41 AM
I think redcloak will save them all...

"Just because I'm betting on the long shot doesn't mean I don't know the odds"

Gamerlord
2008-11-21, 07:02 AM
OK lets see, gamerkid, use your D&D knowladge!
OK, She is at -1 or worst cause we don't see any X's, she looks asleep, and is on the floor,same as elan in the first battle of linear guild vs. oots. But that means they might coup-de-grace her.

Wheres a cleric when ya need one? Miles away, it would seem.

Hallavast
2008-11-21, 07:02 AM
Oh noes!

Who does this "thieve's guildmaster" guy think he is, anyway... comin outta the woodworks with all these high fallutin, high level NPC's... why back in my day we had to walk uphill both ways in the snow to even get the chance to adventure... and that was after we had to kill a bear with a loose-leaf notebook... these kids nowadays got it too easy... *grumble*... GET OFF MY LAWN!... *grumble*

:smallbiggrin:

PandaCthulhu
2008-11-21, 07:20 AM
Level 17 is ludicrously high in the OotS world, though. The only living character we know to be of a higher level is Xykon. Belkar speculated a while back that Redcloak is probably 17th level, but even that's not certain.

I'm not sure I'd describe Xykon as living....

I can't see any easy way of defeating Bozzok here. Even if Durkon does turn up, they'd still have to get Haley's body back first before he could raise/resurrect her.

pendell
2008-11-21, 07:30 AM
OK lets see, gamerkid, use your D&D knowladge!
OK, She is at -1 or worst cause we don't see any X's, she looks asleep, and is on the floor,same as elan in the first battle of linear guild vs. oots. But that means they might coup-de-grace her.

Wheres a cleric when ya need one? Miles away, it would seem.

Just in the next room, actually. Not that he can do much when he has no combat ability and there's a pair of high-level assassins and rogues in the next room.

OTOH, "Death's little helper" is with him..

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Jubal_Barca
2008-11-21, 07:32 AM
Oooh! I know...

What if crystal goes psycho on Bozzok for killing Haley when she wanted to?

Gamerlord
2008-11-21, 08:02 AM
Just in the next room, actually. Not that he can do much when he has no combat ability and there's a pair of high-level assassins and rogues in the next room.

OTOH, "Death's little helper" is with him..

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I know about him, but i bet that he still has a dozen-or-so rounds to continue casting that spell,by then they probably will have killed haley and dumped her corpse somewhere.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-11-21, 08:06 AM
Last time Haley's life was in this much danger, Elan came crashing through the window...

This time? I really don't know what will happen next! And I LOVE IT!!!

Rich spent a lot of time making a Lawful Good person into an antagonist, maybe it's time for a Chaotic Evil one to show some real Heroics.

kingofelves
2008-11-21, 08:10 AM
*sings*
Oh buddy haley your guts, your guts are falling
All over the ground.

That...sucks for her...
SAVE HER ELAN SAVE HER!!!!

Scutatus
2008-11-21, 08:10 AM
And so the "Empire Strikes Back" of the OOTS continues. Blimey its been going for a while now hasn't it?

They are falling like flies, either mentally, morally or literally. Only Elan and Durkon are left now! Crikey!

Can this storyline get any grimmer?

factotum
2008-11-21, 08:14 AM
Oooh! I know...

What if crystal goes psycho on Bozzok for killing Haley when she wanted to?

Do you think she'd be grinning like she was in that last panel if that was the case? Besides, Haley ATEN'T DEAD--no Xs in her eyes. There's plenty of time for Crystal to administer the coup de grace if she chooses to.

DigoDragon
2008-11-21, 08:33 AM
Hurray for Greysky city justice.

Hydro Globus
2008-11-21, 08:36 AM
Uh oh, this doesn't look good. I hope she doesn't die, since we've been through all this with Roy before. How will the cavalry come to save the day I wonder...

IDK if anyone wrote it here (I didn't read the 5 pages), but: Vaarsuvius maybe?

Also, I regged only to say this, so hi all! :)

Eran of Arcadia
2008-11-21, 08:44 AM
See, now, you can't go eviscerating main characters willy-nilly like that.

I suppose that when the Giant said he had the end of the strip figured out, he meant "kill them all".

But actually, good strip. Kudos.

Hydro Globus
2008-11-21, 08:47 AM
Except Elan. He gets a happy ending.

Eraniverse
2008-11-21, 08:49 AM
It's just a fleshwound...

That said, I like Bozzok more by the strip. It's the little things that add up (like dropping the shield). Here's hoping he'll be all right.
And Haley will be fine in the end. It might take a resurrection on Durkon's part, but she'll ultimately be fine.

I'm worried about his possible entanglement in Haley's backstory. He's making himself vulnerable to plot powers demanding his death or severe comeuppance.

Neat character though. Seems easy to underestimate him as just a thug but he demonstrates an invigorating ruthlessness in his planning and execution(heh puns).

jamroar
2008-11-21, 09:13 AM
Except Elan. He gets a happy ending.

For all we know, his happy ending is

him sacrificing himself so the world and the rest of the OOTS can survive. So it's classically happy for him, but not for his friends.

Griffinwarrior
2008-11-21, 09:18 AM
holy crap:smalleek:

Hydro Globus
2008-11-21, 09:22 AM
For all we know, his happy ending is

him sacrificing himself so the world and the rest of the OOTS can survive. So it's classically happy for him, but not for his friends.

Might be true... After all, he gets to the same afterlife as Haley. I didn't think of that possibility really.

Dacia Brabant
2008-11-21, 09:25 AM
Nice reference in the title there. Now where's Robert Wagner to break in and save the day when you need him? :smallwink:

As for what might happen next,

I can see Celia making liberal use of Charm Person against the thieves, especially Dumb-Dumb there, Crystal--which could have some pretty hilarious subtext actually. Belkar should be able to convince the rogue Cleric to uncurse him, unleashing the fury of Death's Little Helper, and together the three plus any charmed minions should be able to drive Bozzok off.

Hydro Globus
2008-11-21, 09:29 AM
... Vaarsuvius, who will magically locate them (probably using Celia as a scrying focus)

S/he doesn't know Celia is there. But V did fly away so s/he might arrive just in time (I think that is what will happen).

pendell
2008-11-21, 09:35 AM
Well, I've gotta hand it to the Giant -- he certainly has no qualms about busting up the plot shields.

I know that Elan has been promised a 'happy ending' -- which implies Haley wouldn't die. We've already seen with the Oracle some slams at too-clever prophecy interpretation (including one made by yours truly -- I thought Belkar giving Roy the Ring was the fulfillment of 'cause the death of Roy').

Still .. there is really no guarantee Haley won't die! She probably has to be raised if she gets killed, but the possibility of raising means there's a very real possibility of death in the next strip or two.

I don't know what happens next.

And that .. is a mark of EXCELLENT storytelling.

I like it because I'm reasonably sure this strip will have a happy ending. The Giant pokes fun at the cliches of dungeoneering, but to me it looks more like the pokes one gives a loved one rather than setting out to deliberately stand the entire mythology on its head. I think OOTS will have a happy ending, as opposed to one where the villains win and everyone is all angsty and brooding about how life is meaningless blah blah blah.

I almost left the strip after Xykon's bouncy ball.

And the Ghost Martyrs in the next strip utterly turned that whole storyline around in an instant.

So I have faith in where the story's going. There's no telling where it will go in the next few strips -- any or all the characters might very well die -- but I'm reasonably sure that the eventual, long-range outcome will be worth waiting for.

Still .. there seems to be one overarching theme in this arc, and that is death is *real*. It is a real consequence.

It's hard to get people to take death seriously in a world where there might almost be drive-through resurrection-while-u-wait temples. Heck, they even have a revolving door in the afterlife.

In such an environment, if there's going to be any tension, death has to be meaningful. It has to have real consequences, and it has to be overcome only with great difficulty and at great cost. I believe this is a problem the Giant has spent the entire arc addressing and has done a good job doing so. Though in the process this has become less of a light, zany rules comedy and more of a serious work.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Hallavast
2008-11-21, 09:36 AM
It has come to my attention that this comic shares the exact same name as comic 428.

If you're keen on renaming this one, might I suggest "It Takes Two Thieves" or something like that (seeing how Haley was flanked and all). :smallwink:

Shatteredtower
2008-11-21, 09:50 AM
Wacky wondering:

Does this mean we'll soon find out what Haley meant when she said, "Elan, it turns out I may not be exactly what you would call--" back in strip #309? Or is it already self-evident that she meant to finish the sentence with, "--a member of the Thieves' Guild," which in turn indicates another way in which Sabine is Haley's evil opposite? I don't mean that Sabine's a member of the thieves' guild. I mean that she's still a subordinate in good standing with her superiors while also being her party's second-in-command.

Editted to add: Well put, Mr. Pendell.

baerdith
2008-11-21, 10:40 AM
New comic is up.

(clear throat) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good comic, but now my weekend is shot worrying about Haley.......

Scarlet Knight
2008-11-21, 11:03 AM
"Haley's not really dead; she's only faking , right?"
"I don't understand."
"Who kills Bozzok? Is it Belkar? Who?"
"Nobody kills Bozzok. He lives."
"Jeez, Giant! Why'd you read me this story!"
:smallfrown:

Taekwondodo
2008-11-21, 11:05 AM
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!:smalleek:
Not Hayley!

Fine? Not dead yet, but I wouldn't call it "fine."
Yes and dead is "stable"

Edit: just realized that didn't make all that much sense but you know how doctors sometimes just say a patient is stable.

Dilvish
2008-11-21, 11:09 AM
My first post. ;) And it is because Haley just got gutted by a big sword. :(

I can envision several ways of sending in the cavalry and saving Haley. One idea I'll throw out anyway. Haley is down, but not passed out. She has also seen the ending of the movie Wizards.

Hmm, about Celia, Ride of the Valkyries anyone?

Thanks for the spoiler help, Hydro Globus. Hobgoblins just don't get the respect they deserve.

1.) A weak way of doing it. Mr. Scruffy really does a touch of the divine in him.

2.) Roy's case worker archon decides that intervention is legal under the archon rulebook and leads in the cavalry. Maybe he/she even consults the officials from last week's Steelers game. ;-)

3.) My favorite. Celia isn't around because Celia went to get help. I admit to not knowing what exactly Celia's abilities are. Is she extra-planer? If so, can she travel between the planes? Go home and organize the air cavalry?

Hydro Globus
2008-11-21, 11:14 AM
Wow! I'm not the only firstposter because of this strip... :)

If I may help, Dilvish: Put [spoi ler] in front of the spoiler and [/spoi ler] at the end, without the spaces.

Teatime
2008-11-21, 11:19 AM
Wacky wondering:

Does this mean we'll soon find out what Haley meant when she said, "Elan, it turns out I may not be exactly what you would call--" back in strip #309? Or is it already self-evident that she meant to finish the sentence with, "--a member of the Thieves' Guild," which in turn indicates another way in which Sabine is Haley's evil opposite? I don't mean that Sabine's a member of the thieves' guild. I mean that she's still a subordinate in good standing with her superiors while also being her party's second-in-command.

Editted to add: Well put, Mr. Pendell.

Earlier in that same comic, one of her other confessions was "I'm not really in the thieves guild anymore," along with "my dad is being held ransom by an evil dictator," so those obviously aren't the big super-secret she's still hiding.

Cizak
2008-11-21, 11:30 AM
WHOO!! That took me COMPLETELY by suprise!

Come on, Celia or Belkar, what are you doing?

Vectner
2008-11-21, 11:33 AM
So was that a two-handed power-sneak attack with a bastard sword? That is a whole lotta damage. Ouch!

Poor Haley, Celia has to come in at some point.

Hydro Globus
2008-11-21, 11:45 AM
Power-sneak attack? Is that valid?

Ron Miel
2008-11-21, 11:53 AM
Earlier in that same comic, one of her other confessions was "I'm not really in the thieves guild anymore," along with "my dad is being held ransom by an evil dictator," so those obviously aren't the big super-secret she's still hiding.

My speculation on that:

she is a descendant of Loki

Morty
2008-11-21, 11:58 AM
See, now, you can't go eviscerating main characters willy-nilly like that.

I belive that the newest strip proves that yes, you can. And that's why I love it.

Shatteredtower
2008-11-21, 12:05 PM

Well, that was a stupid oversight on my part. Thank you for pointing it out. Still wondering if we'll get some clarification of what she was trying to say, though.

My speculation on that:

she is a descendant of Loki

But then how does that fit with the rest of that evasively worded sentence? It may be possible, but I confess to being unable to see it.

Eran of Arcadia
2008-11-21, 12:05 PM
I belive that the newest strip proves that yes, you can. And that's why I love it.

Well, I should clarify: you can't go around eviscerating characters willy-nilly like that, without consequences. Those consequences may be hilarious, I can't say.

Guran
2008-11-21, 12:08 PM
Noooooooo! Haley!:smallfrown:
Get up girl, you can do it

Starbuck_II
2008-11-21, 12:20 PM
Power-sneak attack? Is that valid?

Yep, and rather useful...though TWFing always seemed to be more damage since multiple attacks would get Sneak attack.

But you can totally do a 2 handed one.

Hey, maybe Belkar's "evil" twin will arrive and save the day!

Adventurer
2008-11-21, 12:22 PM
Poor Haley, Celia has to come in at some point.

I wonder how good an idea it is for Celia and the rogues that accompany her to reach Haley:smallconfused:

Shatteredtower
2008-11-21, 12:23 PM

What, you mean like Son of YikYik II: Greysky Parting or something like that?

Rhuna_Coppermane
2008-11-21, 12:48 PM
No X's yet. Still nervous for my favorite rogue.

Yup. My reaction on getting to the end of the comic was "Well, scrubbed!"

I am obviously a sad, sad puppy, though, cos I thought Bazzak was hot.

Pronounceable
2008-11-21, 01:05 PM
About Bozzok, we only know that he has 17 levels of rogue. He might have fighter/barb levels and be epic for all we know (probably not, but it'd be nice).

And I'll bet my hat we'll be switching to somewhere else.

Linkavitch
2008-11-21, 01:07 PM
OK, V needs to come flying through the window with several Disintigration spells at the ready really soon!

Also, I would have posted that sometime yesterday, but the forum was down.

Hawkeye
2008-11-21, 01:10 PM
Noooooooo! Haley!:smallfrown:
Get up girl, you can do it

You stole my post :(

I'm trying to think of a way that Haley can get out alive, but I'm just not seeing it :smalleek:

Ron Miel
2008-11-21, 01:11 PM
But then how does that fit with the rest of that evasively worded sentence? It may be possible, but I confess to being unable to see it.

I'm not exactly what you'd call.... ...completely human. I'm part Goddess.

Alex Knight
2008-11-21, 01:16 PM
What I think would be entertaining:

Belkar: "HEY! Nobody kills Haley but me! And I don't plan on killing her!"
(aside: "That's what a 'team player' should say, right?")

Fitzclowningham
2008-11-21, 01:40 PM
If I were Haley, I'd bluff my brains out pretending to be <0 hp. That is, unless I actually was at <0 hp...

I'd at least like to know what's up with Celia before we make the switch.

nybbler
2008-11-21, 01:55 PM
If I were Haley, I'd bluff my brains out pretending to be <0 hp. That is, unless I actually was at <0 hp...

I'd at least like to know what's up with Celia before we make the switch.

Since the next round should be Crystal with the coup-de-grace, it wouldn't matter if she was bluffing or not. But I doubt that's what the Giant has in mind. Unless he's sick of OOTS and is going for the TPK.

Vercon
2008-11-21, 02:07 PM
I'm hoping V flies in for the rescue.

silvadel
2008-11-21, 02:20 PM
That just seems too high a level for bozzak -- I mean why bother even being in greysky at that point? It puts him and his organization almost as powerful as the big-bad. They could mop up say the linear guild with him being 17+.

He also seems to have as much disdain for his minions as Xykon does -- I mean he didnt need to send the low levels to their deaths there.

He actually reminds me a little bit of Kabuto.

Yoyoyo
2008-11-21, 02:32 PM
I kept wanting to yell, "Look out!" And when I did, it didn't seem to help.
:belkar:? :vaarsuvius:? Anybody?

texascarl
2008-11-21, 02:37 PM
Who is that rat with the bastard sword?
Bozzack is his name
He is the half-orc Thieves Guild lord
Hank is his companion
Sneak attacks are his game

Heal ye up, Haley soon
Decapitate that Crystal goon
Celia's the Slyph our buddy Roy loves the best
Activate your 'inner greed'
Drink the healing potions you need
Seal that huge gash Bozzack put in your chest

Will Belkar ever lose his curse?
Did he-she V go insane?
Will Roy's bone-golem be rescued?
(Do bone-golems feel pain?)

Do you feel like a big OotS geek
Well, tune in again next week
In time for another Order of the Stick

randomnondescri
2008-11-21, 02:39 PM
He also seems to have as much disdain for his minions as Xykon does -- I mean he didnt need to send the low levels to their deaths there.

He had no idea what Haley's been up to, whether she's gained any XP since he saw her last... maybe he assumed that his minions would be able to take care of it.
(Unless Crystal ever thought to mention her free levels to him, which, given her grasp on the concept of thinking ahead, seems unlikey)

Prowl
2008-11-21, 02:39 PM
That just seems too high a level for bozzak -- I mean why bother even being in greysky at that point? It puts him and his organization almost as powerful as the big-bad. They could mop up say the linear guild with him being 17+.

He actually reminds me a little bit of Kabuto.

What else would a high level thief do, if not run a thieves' guild in a major city? He seems to be doing pretty well for himself in the job, and appears to effectively control the city.

The_Firenail
2008-11-21, 03:22 PM
SHE IS OUTTA HERE!
'cause I'm pretty sure that that's gotta hurt.

Grey Watcher
2008-11-21, 03:33 PM
I will say (as several others have) that, given her prior enthusiasm for offing Haley and her overall bad-tempered, angsty nature, Crystal seems remarkably content with Bozzok's kill-stealing here.

Red XIV
2008-11-21, 03:35 PM
Being Evil has its benefits, in other words.

Son_of_Meepo
2008-11-21, 03:58 PM
Yep, and rather useful...though TWFing always seemed to be more damage since multiple attacks would get Sneak attack.

But you can totally do a 2 handed one.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Haley got feinted right out of her Dex bonus with that one. Which means Bozzak could have easy power attacked for the house (12 at level 17).

Assuming that's a bastard sword, you are looking at 1d10+9d6+35 damage or so if he's even near optimized, not counting any other tricks he might have at 17th level to increase that damage. That's and average of 70+ damage in one hit.

One Skunk Todd
2008-11-21, 04:09 PM
"Haley's not really dead; she's only faking , right?"
"I don't understand."
"Who kills Bozzok? Is it Belkar? Who?"
"Nobody kills Bozzok. He lives."
"Jeez, Giant! Why'd you read me this story!"
:smallfrown:

"You know, you've been very sick and you're taking this story very seriously, I think we better stop now..." :P

silvadel
2008-11-21, 04:17 PM
Hmmm -- what else would a level 17+ rogue with an organization do....

Maybe take over a whole nation as opposed to staying in a single city?

Make a play for the world itself like Xykon is doing?

He does seem to have significant connections in other parts of the world.

Just seems like running protection rackets and getting the occasional big diamond is beneath him at this point.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2008-11-21, 06:35 PM
If I recall correctly, this comic was originally entitled, "It Takes a Thief." Sometime between when I last checked and the addition of the next comic, the title changed to, "It Takes Two Thieves, Actually."

I find this to be a nice touch.

Fael IsilLuin
2008-11-21, 07:13 PM
Someone in this thread (in page 1, I think) noticed that strip 428 was named "It takes a thief" too. And the Giant's mistake is forever immoirtalized by the big emphasized "TWO" in the new title.:smallsmile: