PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Arcane spells as a psion?

Dragannia
2008-11-21, 06:31 AM
Specifically, I want to cast Mind Fog.

Apart from the Erudite class, how else can I acquire such an ability? It doesn't have to be a power, but if it were that would be nice since that means I can raise its DC and such.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-21, 07:55 AM

Apart from the Erudite class, how else can I acquire such an ability? It doesn't have to be a power, but if it were that would be nice since that means I can raise its DC and such.

Ask you DM if you can Research a new power called Mind Fog?
The XPH has researching rules but it does cost XP (instead of gold like the Wizard).

Dragannia
2008-11-21, 08:13 AM
Assume I have to work within existing rules :smallsigh:

Kaiyanwang
2008-11-21, 08:47 AM
Do as Starbuck II suggested. It's within the rules.

If the XP issue is annoying, i suggest the power components optional rule in the DMG, in this case use them only for the psionic research.

Devils_Advocate
2008-11-21, 03:05 PM
Dear gods, why?

It's a spell that lowers Will saves... of creatures that fail their Will saves. 99% of the time, whatever you might want to lower their Will saves for, you're better off just casting that on them to start with.

RTGoodman
2008-11-21, 05:31 PM
Assume I have to work within existing rules :smallsigh:

Researching new powers IS within the existing rules.

Adding Powers
[...]
Independent Research

A psion also can research a power independently, duplicating an existing power or creating an entirely new one. If characters are allowed to develop new powers, use these guidelines to handle the situation.

Any kind of manifester can create a new power. The research involved requires access to a retreat conducive to uninterrupted meditation. Research involves an expenditure of 200 XP per week and takes one week per level of the power. At the end of that time, the character makes a Psicraft check (DC 10 + spell level). If that check succeeds, the character learns the new power if her research produced a viable power. If the check fails, the character must go through the research process again if she wants to keep trying.

Alternatively, I guess you could spend enough skill points to where you'd be able to always make a DC 20 Use Magic Device (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/Usemagicdevice.htm) check, which would let you use a staff of enchantment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/staffs.htm#enchantment) or some other staff of mind fog (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingStaffs).

EDIT:Ooh, or take 9 levels of Wizard or (I think) 13 levels of Bard. That should work for you. :smallwink:

Dragannia
2008-11-21, 05:35 PM
Well, for things like mass psionic dominating, Mind Blast (which doesn't have a spectacular DC), etc. I'm looking to play a Mind Flayer in a campaign which has a gestalt level every 4 levels, balanced against everyone else's gestalt per 2 levels, and one less manifester level, using the Savage Species progression with manifester level equal to HD and no spell-like abilities. In this case, telepath levels stack with HD to determine psion equivalent level.

Though, on retrospect, I guess a psionic endowment and Ability Focus can pump Mind Blast's DC by 4. Any other way to pump the DC of spell-likes (in this case, psi-like)?

EDIT:

Yeah I've raised the issue with my DM, he just laughed at me and said "In your dreams." :(