PDA

View Full Version : Chargenners Anonymous

Heliomance
2008-11-21, 10:25 AM
So I've recently started getting into optimisation, and I'm finding that creating characters is becoming somewhat addictive. Two nights ago I got no sleep at all because I literally stayed up all night looking up class features and templates that combined well together. How many other Playgrounders find this? That just creating a character, even if you're never going to play it, is fun in its own right, for the challenge of fitting things together to build something strong?

potatocubed
2008-11-21, 10:28 AM
If you swap 'strong' for 'wacky' and 'optmised' for 'ridiculous', then sure. :smallsmile:

I know what you mean, though. My priorities may be different, but the urge to stat things up is the same.

jcsw
2008-11-21, 10:30 AM
I only actually create a char sheet for characters I'll play, but I spend many an hour thinking up such optimized/broken-combo builds

AmberVael
2008-11-21, 10:34 AM
>.>
<.<

My nickname on another board is 'endless fount of characters,' so...

However, like potatocubed, I don't focus on theoretical optimization or the like. My focus is on concepts, backstory, and roleplay. Fluff, if you will.
Granted, my characters typically turn out to be quite powerful anyways... >.>

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-21, 01:45 PM
My IRL group comes to me with concepts and I make them viable. Tonight I'm working with one of my friends turning a Warforged Juggernaut into an Ubercharger.

RukiTanuki
2008-11-21, 01:53 PM
This is the single greatest reason why I have trouble finishing computer/console RPGs: Partway through I have mastered my character's abilities and want to try another character.

I still haven't finished Neverwinter 2. I keep bouncing between a Druid, a Paladin/Cleric, a Bard, a Ranger/Bard/RDD... :)

I was also an altaholic during my MMORPG stint.

Truth be told, it's part of the reason why I DM: I really don't get the chance to become tired of any given character's mechanics (and I can roleplay whomever I want as much as I want).

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-21, 02:00 PM
Man, I was terrible on City of Heroes - I kept making new characters whenever a new concept hit me. :smallbiggrin:

For 4E, I've rolled up something like 30 characters in my free time. Initially it was to get used to how 4E advancement worked, but then I started making interesting concepts (The Eladrin Spearmaiden is one of my favorites), and then entire parties (a squad of mercenaries from the Dwarven Nations in my campaign, a squad of revolutionaries from the recently "democratized" nation, etc.).

Then I went back and began advancing those characters to Paragon. I can't stop! :smalleek:

arguskos
2008-11-21, 02:51 PM
Eh... I used to do characters, but now I make items, spells, and other custom stuff. I think I have 100's of items and spells laying around, as the whim takes me or I see something in a game that needs stating out.

Keld Denar
2008-11-21, 03:47 PM
I've stated out a few sample characters and posted around here or over on charops for review. Some of them have been:

Glimmerskin Strongheart Halfling Bardblade dagger tosser
Dwarven Urgosh optimization attempt
Paladin/RKV blended build

And I've been currently stewing around the idea for a Gravetouched Ghoul Uberparalyzer, but I can't seem to find my copy of Tome of Magic to read up on Binders to get the last piece of the puzzle figured out. DC40 ghoul paralysis by level 10 will be mine!!!!!! MWA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

The only character that has seen any play is the Paladin/RKV build, which was kind of fun, but ended up being to TU intensive that it was almost unplayable. TU to cast extra spells, TU to get cha to damage, TU to gain an extra move action, and you burn out after 1-2 combats.

SurlySeraph
2008-11-21, 06:17 PM
Yeah, making characters is a lot of fun. I like to start with a really unoptimal concept (Ranger/wizard! Dexterity-based barbarian!) and make it as strong as possible within that concept. Which is usually weaker than any sanely built character, but it's fun anyway.