PDA

View Full Version : DMing players who don't get along

PurinaDragonCho
2008-11-21, 10:54 AM
Anyone had this problem? Any suggestions on how to deal with it?

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-21, 11:55 AM
don't try and use D&D as a sly way to help reconcile their social issues. If you try and meddle with things on the sly/try and force them to be friends via the game they will resent you for it

let them just play the game. If they end up killing each other a lot, then just keep handing out the character sheets.

Human Paragon 3
2008-11-21, 11:59 AM
Don't do it. Somebody will likely throw a hissy fit and storm out. It won't be fun.

JMobius
2008-11-21, 12:02 PM
My group has a pair of step-brothers that has this problem. While I agree with Pancake that the game should not be a medium for reconciling their issues, I do not believe it should be allowed to become a medium for them to express those issues. I know how disruptive this can be to a game.

I would talk with them both OOC, preferably separately, and explain how their bickering is causing problems for you and the other players, and ask them politely if they can do their best to set their differences aside. If they aren't willing to do that, I'd probably have them leave.

valadil
2008-11-21, 12:32 PM
Can you be a bit more descriptive in how they don't get along?

We've always had problems when more than one alpha male type player was in the game. They'd always butt heads then try and polarize the rest of the group into picking sides. The best answer we found for that was to only have one dominant player at the table, maybe two if one of them was GMing.

Saph
2008-11-21, 12:57 PM
Seat them as far away from each other as possible, preferably with other people in between them so that it's really hard for them to see, hear, or talk to each other. Very simple, but try it and you'll be surprised how well it works.

Also, give them both things to focus on other than the object of their dislike.

- Saph

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-21, 12:59 PM
Yeah more info is needed.

If the people don't get along, don't DM them. It'll end poorly.

If the people's playstyles don't get along (e.g. both want to be the leader, one is a schemer and one is a White Knight, etc.) then you may be able to work something out.

AKA_Bait
2008-11-21, 01:05 PM
Yeah more info is needed.

If the people don't get along, don't DM them. It'll end poorly.

If the people's playstyles don't get along (e.g. both want to be the leader, one is a schemer and one is a White Knight, etc.) then you may be able to work something out.

100% agree. Trying to make people who honestly don't like eachother in real life get along through D&D (or any other prefabricated means) is only going to end in tears. They may come and try to keep it civil, but everyone will be doing that, keeping it civil, rather than having fun. Just, don't if that's the case.

PurinaDragonCho
2008-11-21, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the responses.

The two players didn't even know each other before the campaign started. They have very different playstyles. One is the very chaotic stupid "I put my face in it" type of player, and his dorky actions put the other player's character in danger at one point. Now player 2 is super-critical of everything Player 1 does and takes it personally.

Since I started the thread, and before I came back to read the responses, I've already pretty much decided I'm just going to pull the plug on the whole campaign. It's too stressful. :smallfrown:

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-21, 01:31 PM
Well... dealing with Chaotic Stupid can be difficult, but so can dealing with a hyper-critical player.

In particular, your "chaotic stupid" player sounds more like a jokester than a true Chaotic Stupid. Chaotic Stupids are dangerous not because they do silly things, but because they end up stabbing random people that can actually screw up a plot and force the other PCs to restrain/kill the PC. If he's just doing stuff like walking unprepared into situations, then this is something which you can either talk to him about (asking him why he does it - he might just think he's being funny) or encourage the other players to let him suffer the consequences of his actions.

Now, the hyper-critical player is a danger to any gaming group. Nobody likes being told how to play their character, particularly if the complainer is right. If the hyper-critical player is critical of everyone, then you can ask him to tone it down a bit, and let people be sub-optimal. If he's otherwise a decent person, then you can encourage him to let the "chaotic stupid" player suffer the natural consequences of his actions. Or to have his character take appropriate steps to prevent the "chaotic stupid" player from causing trouble.

But yeah, if it's too stressful for you, you might as well just shut down the game. Good luck on your next one!