PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Armies?

JMobius
2008-11-21, 11:46 AM
I've heard some interesting things about this system, and my understanding reminds me considerably of WoD Mage. How do people feel about it?

1of3
2008-11-21, 12:28 PM
It's WoD with gothic aesthatics removed and everyday's insanity added. You could be a wizard... by watching your favorite TV show every day. But dare not miss it!

Prometheus
2008-11-21, 02:36 PM
I haven't played it, but I read the rules and I really like the occultism feel that it has going for it. Whether or not the actual rules are the best way to do it, I believe the setting to be one of the best for a modern world.

potatocubed
2008-11-21, 04:43 PM
I really like Unknown Armies. When I read it, I thought "This is what Mage should have been."

I haven't played it much (that is, once) but I found the rules were fantastic. Basically, if you get into a fight, you're going to die. (Unless it's a fist fight, in which case you're going to get beaten up until you unload magic death spells on the poor fool who jumped you.) It's much more important to think problems through and solve them with negotiation, roleplaying, etc., than it is to shoot them.

There are a couple of adventure anthologies kicking around for it. Weep, and... the other one. Both have got hit and miss stuff in, but I expect that what hits and misses varies depending on who's reading it.

Kemper Boyd
2008-11-22, 06:47 AM
Unknown Armies is probably the best roleplaying game of the nineties. Period.

charl
2008-11-22, 06:54 AM
The way they handle magic in general is excellent. Post-modern magic, they call it, and that is pretty much what it is too. It's great.

I also like the combat rules. Especially the one where if you enter a knife fight with someone, you are going to get cut. The only thing you can change is how much and how bad.

JMobius
2008-11-22, 01:09 PM
Huh. Obtained a copy, started reading. It's pretty awesome. So awesome, I think it's going to unseat oWoD Mage for my #2 favorite setting.

JMobius
2008-11-23, 10:48 AM
Having now gotten to the cosmic portion of the book... yeah, this setting is #2. Not quite good enough to overtake Nobilis, but damn is it interesting. I've already got some campaign ideas that excite me more than anything I've come up with in a while.

Thanks to all those that recommended it. :smallsmile: