PDA

View Full Version : A low level spell against detect aligment spells

Frog Dragon
2008-11-21, 03:05 PM
A spell to rid you of the problems of paladins running around with detect evil. Really how long is say, an evil cult going to keep up if they can't do this without being Elminster? Well now they can.

False Alignment
Illusion
Level: Clr 1, Sor/Wis 1, Ass 1, Bard 1
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 4 Hours per caster level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You are capable of detecting any alignment divining spell that you are targeted with of lvl 2 or lower. You immediately recognize the spell and can feed whatever information you like. For example a chaotic evil character could pose as a good character if under the effects of this spell while being affected by an alignment detecting spell. Note that you cannot feed any information other what the spell you're being targeted with is capable of detecting. So if you were targeted by detect evil you could only choose between evil and not evil.

azalinthegreat
2008-11-23, 04:24 PM
I like it. I'd just change the part where it says "that you are targeted with" because very few spells like this technically target anything.

Zeful
2008-11-23, 04:51 PM
A spell to rid you of the problems of paladins running around with detect evil. Really how long is say, an evil cult going to keep up if they can't do this without being Elminster? Well now they can.

False Alignment
Illusion
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 4 Hours per caster level

You are capable of detecting any alignment divining spell that you are targeted with of lvl 2 or lower. You immediately recognize the spell and can feed whatever information you like. For example a chaotic evil character could pose as a good character if under the effects of this spell while being targeted by an alingment detecting spell. Note that you cannot feed any information other what the spell you're being targeted with is capable of detecting. So if you were targeted by detect evil you could only choose between evil and not evil.

You can be detected by simply holding a holy weapon.
The Detect Alignment x spells don't target anything, so this spell is useless. It might be better if you used the word "affected" rather than "targeted" so that way it does what you want. If I were writing it I would done this:

False Alignment
Illusion
Range: Personal
Duration: 1 Hour per caster level

When you cast this spell you are considered to be a chosen alignment for the duration. Effects that key off of alignment (such as the holy weapon enchantment) treat you as if you were the specified alignment while spells that deal damage based on alignment (Holy word) effect you normally. When affected with divinations that reveal your alignment you must make a caster level check (as Nondetection) or have the divination show your true alignment. Otherwise they show the alignment chosen at the time of casting.

But that's just me.

Jack_Simth
2008-11-23, 05:30 PM
It needs to be higher than first, considering that the existing, Core, Undetectable Alignment spell is Brd 1, Clr 2, Pal 2, standard-action spell.

DracoDei
2008-11-23, 06:36 PM
I beleive the entire point is that he considers Undetectable Alignment to be over leveled and underpowerful for the feel he wants for his campaign.

Jack_Simth
2008-11-23, 06:47 PM
I beleive the entire point is that he considers Undetectable Alignment to be over leveled and underpowerful for the feel he wants for his campaign.
Considering that he's got the "without being Elminster" bit in the OP? I doubt that somewhat.

Frog Dragon
2008-11-28, 02:57 PM
I think the Alingment detection spells should be easily countered if you know how to prepare. See the Probelm with Undetectable alingment is

Paladin: "I'll detect evil on that guy"
No Reading

Paladin: "Okay he's got something to hide"

With this spell it's

Not Evil

Paladin: "OK"

Oh and fixed the "targeted" "affected" thing

Jack_Simth
2008-11-28, 04:26 PM
I think the Alingment detection spells should be easily countered if you know how to prepare. See the Probelm with Undetectable alingment is

No Reading

Paladin: "Okay he's got something to hide"

With this spell it's

Not Evil

Paladin: "OK"

Oh and fixed the "targeted" "affected" thing

Umm... that's not, as written, how the Detect(Alignment) spells work.

You can sense the presence of evil. The amount of information revealed depends on how long you study a particular area or subject.

1st Round: Presence or absence of evil.

2nd Round: Number of evil auras (creatures, objects, or spells) in the area and the power of the most potent evil aura present.

If you are of good alignment, and the strongest evil aura’s power is overwhelming (see below), and the HD or level of the aura’s source is at least twice your character level, you are stunned for 1 round and the spell ends.

3rd Round: The power and location of each aura. If an aura is outside your line of sight, then you discern its direction but not its exact location.

Aura Power: An evil aura’s power depends on the type of evil creature or object that you’re detecting and its HD, caster level, or (in the case of a cleric) class level; see the accompanying table. If an aura falls into more than one strength category, the spell indicates the stronger of the two.
If you've got Undetectable Alignment running, when someone hits you with Detect [Your Alignment], on round one, he gets "absent" (your alignment doesn't detect). On round 2, he gets "0" (yours doesn't count), and "null" (your aura isn't counted in finding the strongest aura of evil). On round 3, he gets nothing at all, as there are no detectable auras in his area that he can get location or power on. Basically, he gets exactly what he'd expect to get if he was scanning a completely empty area, or he was scanning an area that included creatures of opposite alignment to the one he's detecting (e.g., a Paladin using Detect Evil on Good creatures).

It's only when you're posing as a Cleric of a non-neutral deity, and someone thinks to try all four on you that you've got issues when using Undetectable Alignment.