PDA

View Full Version : It occurs to me with belated clarity

Schaffer1979
2008-11-21, 03:32 PM
I would say Belkar is nowhere close to dying according to this strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html

The prophet tells him yes in response to killing a number of individuals.

Maybe V obtains ultimate power by telling Belkar something like, "Kill me now, halfling" or something in order to become an Elven liche or something.

In any case, belkar can't die until he's killed V.

pswbr
2008-11-21, 03:39 PM
you are late. the belkar's prophecy has already been completed

Roy: borrowing the ring of jump he inderectly caused his death, because without it Roy would never be able to jump on the dead dragon, thus never being able to fall from the great height that killed him.

Oracle: Well, nothing to be said here... Belkar killed him. Period. No other possible interpretations like the one above.

Schaffer1979
2008-11-21, 04:18 PM
I'm not late. No one said Belkar's prophecy has been completed except you.

The oracle indicates belkar kills all of them and to date everyone he said yes to is dead except V.

I think he has one more person to kill according to his prophecy.

Hydro Globus
2008-11-21, 04:24 PM
"Any of the following" does not mean "All of the following". And Belkar killed the Oracle. Period.

(Of course I'm not saying that he will not kill V, just not necessarily (sp?).

[TS] Shadow
2008-11-21, 04:51 PM
Belkar didn't kill Miko, or Miko's horse. He obscurely and indirectly had something to do with their deaths. However, I have a feeling that Belkar will have something to do with V's death, though.

TDG
2008-11-21, 06:31 PM
Do you own any of the following - a hat, a bed, a book or a seven foot garden gnome statue that speaks french and is responsible for the death of ninety different species?

Just because you answer yes to owning one of them doesn't mean you own them all.

FoE
2008-11-21, 06:34 PM
Sorry, OP, but your Epileptic Tree is not going to take root. Belkar killed the Oracle. Prophecy fulfilled.

mikeejimbo
2008-11-21, 09:32 PM
He used or instead of xor, which means he could kill more, but since he didn't say and, it means that he only needed to kill one of them for the prophecy to be complete. And he did.

Zevox
2008-11-21, 11:04 PM
As others have pointed out, Belkar asked if he would kill any of those. Not all, any. That means even one is sufficient to fulfill the prophecy. Granted, it is possible he will also kill more than one, but it is not required.

You'll also note that the Oracle's attempts to convince Belkar he had "caused the death of" Roy, Miko, and Windstriker were just that - mere attempts. Except for Roy, they weren't even particularly logical, and stretched any credibility they may have to the absolute limit. And at the end of that comic, the Oracle said even he didn't believe them ("I wasn't really buying those theories either..."), which kind of invalidates them, since the Oracle would know the actual answer to his prophecy.

Belkar may, in some way, cause the death of V. The Oracle seemed to have had another spin ready for that, albeit yet another one that would be just a vain effort to keep Belkar from killing him, which does imply that V will die during the comic. But it isn't necessary - the Oracle's death could easily be all there is to the prophecy. As far as we know, the prophecy is fulfilled.

Zevox

Spiky
2008-11-21, 11:29 PM
Somehow I think V will outlive Belkar by 100s of years.

DeviledEggs
2008-11-22, 01:14 AM
As for the elf

"You did not kill him/her."

Dalenthas
2008-11-22, 06:53 PM
"As for the elf, by slowing down Haley in her attempts at retrieving Roy's body, you've kept her seperate from the party, driving V insane, a kind of spiritual death, if you will."

Kurald Galain
2008-11-22, 07:26 PM
"As for the elf, by slowing down Haley in her attempts at retrieving Roy's body, you've kept her seperate from the party, driving V insane, a kind of spiritual death, if you will."

Yep. It'll turn out that Belkar is also responsible for the death of Kraagor.