PDA

View Full Version : Truenamers

Abbott
2008-11-21, 03:50 PM
We all know truenaming, as it is, just doen't work. Most suggest lowering the target number for the skill check (or redoing the class altogether). I however, wonder about a slightly different approach. What about removing the chance to save against the effects? That would make it powerful but difficult to master. Or am I just talking crazy?

AmberVael
2008-11-21, 03:56 PM
Attempting to apply a 'single fix' to the Truenamer is like trying to decide what single tool to use on someone in need of a heart transplant. Some tools may look better than others, but you know in the end there is going to be flying blood and death in the room.

Lapak
2008-11-21, 04:12 PM
There's a fairly elaborate reworking of Truenaming (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90961) in the homebrew forum. Removing saving throws and spell resistance is just one of the changes that come into play there, and I'd consider the suggested system as pretty playable.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-21, 04:55 PM
We all know truenaming, as it is, just doen't work. Most suggest lowering the target number for the skill check (or redoing the class altogether). I however, wonder about a slightly different approach. What about removing the chance to save against the effects? That would make it powerful but difficult to master. Or am I just talking crazy?
That would just exacerbate the problem. Non-optimized truenamers would still suck because they still could only rarely make their checks, while optimized truenamers would be awesome because they'd always make their checks and in addition their spells would be irresistible.

TS

monty
2008-11-21, 05:17 PM
Monty's guide to playing an effective Truenamer:

Step 1:
Be a Factotum 8 / Truenamer X (Factotum gets Truenaming as a class skill, after all).

Step 2:
Use one of your Truenaming abilities. Chances are you'll fail.

Step 3:
Cunning Surge, and do something useful instead.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-21, 05:47 PM
Attempting to apply a 'single fix' to the Truenamer is like trying to decide what single tool to use on someone in need of a heart transplant. Some tools may look better than others, but you know in the end there is going to be flying blood and death in the room.

That was an amazing analogy. Though I'm not sure if death is a good result.

monty
2008-11-21, 06:43 PM
That was an amazing analogy. Though I'm not sure if death is a good result.

That would be your death. Because the enemy sees how pitiful you are and decides to put you out of your misery.

Belkarsbadside1
2008-11-21, 06:47 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4915339)

I am going to be using this soon. I think it is very good.