View Full Version : OOTS #610 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

The Giant
2008-11-21, 03:56 PM
New comic is up.

Hranat
2008-11-21, 04:00 PM
Huh, those two came quickly...

Anyway! SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR! Been screaming that line at my screen way before I read it...

Adumbration
2008-11-21, 04:01 PM
This is what I'm talking about! Frigging awesome! :smallbiggrin:

High King Iggy
YES YES YES !!!

GO GOD OF WAR !

Rich,... please don't make us wait :smallsmile:

Ryuuk
That was great. This is the kind of moment that deserves its double comic.

Scarlet Knight
2008-11-21, 04:02 PM
Whooooooo! Belllllkaaaarrr!

WalkingTarget
This is going to be good. Can't wait for the follow up, Giant. :smallbiggrin:

Thufir
Of course! Though, this'll be interesting, if Belkar ends up saving them all now.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-21, 04:03 PM
I wonder which "Evolve or Die" the comic was meant to reference?

herrhauptmann
2008-11-21, 04:04 PM
Nice, I've been expecting/hoping him to say something like that for a while now.
The passcode is a nice touch.

Oregano
2008-11-21, 04:04 PM
C'mon Belkar! Awesome strip.:smallbiggrin:

Thant
2008-11-21, 04:05 PM
Simply awesome!!! Freaking A+ for you giant and keep on rockin':smallcool:

Lissou
Argh, you're killing me >_<

(I like Haley's new haircut. Now she looks like the part of her who wanted to return to comedy. I bet Elan will like it too... Unless it grows to much before he sees her, of course).

I can't wait to see what happens next. But, er... take your time anyway. But fast >.>.

BRC
Is this a postmortem CMOA for Shojo?

Istari
The constant focus shifting added nice views on what was going on

Reaver225
Belkar: You may not like him, but you'll turn to him when absolutely EVERYTHING must die.

Go go sociopathic killing machine!

donblas
2008-11-21, 04:07 PM
Just registered so I could reply. This comic was pure epicness.

Doug Lampert
2008-11-21, 04:07 PM
Is this a postmortem CMOA for Shojo?Nah, this could just be Belkar halucinating, seems a bit bright for that, but it could be.

His postmortem CMOA was when the curse went off and his head showed up to say "sucks to be you" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0569.html). Or possibly when he refused resurection.

Kwarkpudding
2008-11-21, 04:08 PM
In my opinion, this was brilliant. I'm all happy now :smallbiggrin:

ChomZ
2008-11-21, 04:09 PM
nice strip today =P
I liked the dialogue with Belkar and Shojo

Tirian
2008-11-21, 04:09 PM
(I like Haley's new haircut. Now she looks like the part of her who wanted to return to comedy. I bet Elan will like it too... Unless it grows to much before he sees her, of course).

The priest just got through sending a message to Belkar, so he and Elan will probably show up pretty soon. I have a hard time believing that Hinjo doesn't have any teleporters left.

Faramir
2008-11-21, 04:10 PM
Yay! Belkar to the rescue! I can't believe I'm saying that ...

Ashtar
2008-11-21, 04:10 PM
Go Go Shoeless god of war! Make us sociopaths proud! :smallbiggrin:

AKA_Bait
2008-11-21, 04:11 PM
I can honestly say, never before has a webcomic made me literally sit on the edge of my seat and get nervous. Fantastic!

::standing ovation::

T-O-E
2008-11-21, 04:11 PM
Great strip. Truly.

Bayar
2008-11-21, 04:12 PM
Haley looks like Ichigo from Bleach ! :eek::biggrin:

Uber comic, Giant !

OITS
2008-11-21, 04:12 PM
The last strip was very tough for me, but now I will be able to sleep again. Brilliant :)

TheSaylesMan
2008-11-21, 04:14 PM
Holy crap.

This is the best the comic has been in a while. Its even better than V's homicide and subsequent departure.

Eloel
2008-11-21, 04:16 PM
AWESOME! Best quality strip in a long while. Had me FEEL it(and ouch on haircut)

Pip
And then there came a Reconning!

ShellBullet
Woah. A comic that made me sit on edge whole time while almost shoutin "unleash the beast Belkar!!!"

Simply a great comic.

Doran
Ensue the ass kicking!

Cthclain
2008-11-21, 04:17 PM
So long as Belkar saves the Priest, Haley and Celia. I'll be happy with him. First time in a long time I've being rooting for him.

But doesn't anyone know what "Evolve or Die" is referring to?

Salty
2008-11-21, 04:18 PM
W00T!!!

The Belkster's back!

Mad Scientist
Wow am I worried now! Poor Haley - she's going to be shish-kababed at any moment.
Let's hope that the whole remove curse thing makes Belkar healty instantly. It would be very ironic if the chaotic evil character saves the day.

Hydro Globus
No Vaarsuvius for me :(

But this is even better. Now the obvious question: Will Belkar ever, ever become a real god?

dzerostar
I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!!

I feel like I've been waiting to read that phrase forever!

fizzbang
It's comics like this one that make every slow and clever build-up, and dashed hope, and desperate chance come back and pay off in glorious dividends. Great set-up and marvelous execution, Rich!

silvadel
Nice strip -- I wonder if he is a little bit divine now? That certainly looked like a good first step towards a godhood.

Evil DM Mark3
This, this might hurt a lottle.

Spiryt
Wow, this is getting really interesting, I must say.

Well done, well done!

Sothicus
Thank you, thank you, thank you for not having us wait an enternity to see if Haley got simply coup-de-gras'd.

I'm also interested to know how the cleric knew the pass code... was it a successful Knowledge: Arcana check or what?

B.I.T.T.
2008-11-21, 04:19 PM
GET GO 'EM, BELKSTER!

Good comic.

garylian
2008-11-21, 04:20 PM
This comic can be summed up in one word.

YES!!!!!!!

Oh, he's coming back to us! There is going to be some serious hell to pay in the next strip or two.

Giant, this is looking like the best Thanksgiving I'll have in a while, because the Belkster is going to be on the loose, and able to be smarter about it.

WOOHOO!

silversaraph
Some comics are good, some are great, some are awesome, and some are epic.

This comic was epic. Not only was the character advancement/the remove curse the best, it was a double pager.

My comic favorites are either huge character development, with a catch phrase, or something that ends a major story like in one panel. comic 595 was the last one, and before that was when haley got her speech back.

Way to go.

I am in awe.

Give us a conclusion, hooray!:smallbiggrin::smallsmile::smalltongue:

Hydro Globus
I'm also interested to know how the cleric knew the pass code... was it a successful Knowledge: Arcana check or what?

He also realised it was a Mark of Justice, so likely a successful Knowledge rolled earlier, yes.

Earendill
2008-11-21, 04:21 PM
Really one of the best comic strips I've read in a long long while. Sweeney Toddette.... Go Hulk Belkar !!

Question. What are the technical chances for Belkar to get through Bozzak (at least 4 levels higher) and Crystal without too much of a deus ex ? (no dragon head falling or stuff ?

Side question - what are the chances of Belkar dying in the process ? You, know, to fullfill the prophecy?

Bayar
Funny thing now would be for Belkar to kill the cleric :biggrin:

Bendal
Oh boy, the Sexy Shoeless God of War is about to open a full-sized can of kick*ss on these thieves. Let's hope he can get to Haley before it's too late!

Ancalagon
2008-11-21, 04:23 PM
Nice. Reminds me of "Comes the Inquisitor".

Who are you?

Vulion
2008-11-21, 04:25 PM
I cannot express the awesome of this comic! The tension kept me at the edge of my seat through out.

Belkar, may you kill many in rampage...excluding Celia, Haley and the cleric.:smallbiggrin::smallwink:

Shaqspaere
2008-11-21, 04:27 PM
Wow, absolutely one of my all time favorites. Nice work. I loved the scene shifting back and forth, with building story. Nice.

Vercon
2008-11-21, 04:28 PM
Absolutely fantastic. What a great way to end a long work week.

Ulti
2008-11-21, 04:29 PM
Absolutely amazing comic.

baerdith
Yeahhhh!!!!! Go Belkar!!!!!!!

A++++++++++

St. Salieri
Well, this looks like a good time to check up on Kazumi and Daigo, doesn't it? :tongue:

Nice to see what once looked like a throw-away joke come back to serve a purpose.

The Hop Goblin
You can just hear the dramatic, suspenseful musical score accompanying this page - followed by the shere kickass track to follow.

Voyager_I
2008-11-21, 04:32 PM
Looks like we're into the 4th Act now.

I'm excited to see some good old fashioned violence.

Scion_of_Darkness
2008-11-21, 04:34 PM
There was only one way for me to respond to this strip:

"Oh f**k yes!"

That was the greatest strip in a long time. Oh and I would like to make an apology. Some time ago I was complaining about the rate of updates. Giant has just launched several great updates in a few days, thank you for this.

snafu
2008-11-21, 04:34 PM
This. Is. Going. To. Rock.

And I bet Belkar just got a whole bucket of bonus XP for character development too.

My only worry now is... what's going to stop him? He's had nothing but abuse from Haley and Celia lately. Now the Mark of Justice is gone, once he's finished slaughtering all in his path, isn't he simply going to head on out into a city whose general milieu suits his sociopathic personality, and begin a happy life of villainy?

... No. He'll save everyone just so that he can gloat about how he did it and how they all suck and he's a sexy shoeless god of war.

Prowl
2008-11-21, 04:35 PM
Question. What are the technical chances for Belkar to get through Bozzak (at least 4 levels higher) and Crystal without too much of a deus ex ? (no dragon head falling or stuff ?

Probably decent considering he's got a full complement of daily abilities at his disposal and a high-level cleric with almost nothing but healing spells memorized at his back.

Grunthos
2008-11-21, 04:35 PM
You have ten seconds to reach minimum safe distance...

You have six seconds to reach minimum safe distance...

You have two seconds...

[Insert OOTS #611 HERE]

Ronan
2008-11-21, 04:36 PM
Damn... I'm sure that many people who were saying the strips were taking too much time got what they wanted. I as one of them got my mouth shut as well :smallbiggrin:

I was going to say "take your time", but really: no matter the speed, the comics are great. 610 is *pure gold*.

EDIT:

Probably decent considering he's got a full complement of daily abilities at his disposal and a high-level cleric with almost nothing but healing spells memorized at his back.

And he's a barbarian. He can rage. It seems the cleric is pretty inclined to help him :smalltongue:

As a fan of Death's lil' helper, allow me to say:

GO SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR. Cut those poor bastards into meatsacks! Release your rage bathing in their blood and let the stench of death reek once again as you pile infinite corpses. For you are the one and only. You are Belkar, the SHOELESS GOD OF WAR :smallfurious:

But play nice :smallwink:

nowiwantmydmg
2008-11-21, 04:37 PM
Awesome, best strip in a while. Hope the cleric of Loki doesn't regret it though? Did he finish the sending is the other question of the day though.

Lira
2008-11-21, 04:39 PM
Wow :o. Excellent strip.

I'm just in awe right now, give me a few minutes...

Coldwind
2008-11-21, 04:41 PM
Ah, at last.. An EPIC strip with the Chaos vs. Law fight. Awesome!

That's what I have been waiting for.. I always hate those maths in frp, which removes the fun of the game imo. I guess that's why we love chaotic alignments, also Belkar & Shojo.

Thanks for fun, keep the good work up ;)

CatShannon
2008-11-21, 04:41 PM
I honestly think this is my favorite strip.

It's even sweet: check out Mr. Scruffy licking Belkars hand!:smallredface:

Hydro Globus
2008-11-21, 04:43 PM

Sorry to disappoint, but IMHO: "None whatsoever".
EDIT: I just realised - IIRC Belkar is a level above Haley. If it is correct, and Bozzak is exactly 4 levels higher than Haley that means he can't flank, but Belkar can still rage. If this is the case, I give him 50-50%.

Side question - what are the chances of Belkar dying in the process ? You, know, to fullfill the prophecy?

Well, look at it this way: Someone will die...

ilcane87
2008-11-21, 04:43 PM
Outstanding, was this a stick figures comic again?

Such quality leaves you speechless...

JT Jag
2008-11-21, 04:44 PM
Wow. This has been a hell of an arc.

[TS] Shadow
2008-11-21, 04:44 PM
"I'M A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!" has been one of the most epic, remembered, quoted, and loved lines in all of OotS. To see it come back, with some meaning as well, is nice. Belkar has finally found his purpose: kill everything, but do it for the right reason. Yay!

Lord_Butters_I
2008-11-21, 04:46 PM
This is literally the best strip in as long as I can remember. Bravo^10

Alaska Fan
2008-11-21, 04:49 PM
Without question, the slickest pulling together of multiple plot threads in a fantasy I've read in years, and it's in a web comic. Simply outstanding. My sincere compliments to you, Giant.

RebelT
2008-11-21, 04:49 PM
Just registered so I could reply. This comic was pure epicness.

Yes. This.

My first post on this forum and it comes after the most badass strip in the entire comic thus far.

Well done, Giant, and thank you for doing this.

Scion_of_Darkness
2008-11-21, 04:50 PM
I would say Belkar has a great chance of winning. He is purely combat based classes like Ranger and Barbarian, both of these classes can effectively use stealth. Bozzak and Crystal are stealth based classes, which are best when fighting an unsuspecting opponent.

Ronan
2008-11-21, 04:52 PM
But I'm worried about this: Squiddleydoodlefluffer :smallfrown:

fractal
2008-11-21, 04:52 PM
I'd say giving Belkar the freebie was a good move by the cleric. Belkar probably won't kill him (with other targets so readily available), and it's not like the cleric won't just recharge all of his spell slots again tomorrow, assuming he survives. One level 3 slot would hardly make the difference if the cleric tried to fight all of the enemies by himself, but adding a level 13-14 PC could be critical.

Regarding actual fighting, if Belkar can take out Crystal, then Bozzok can't Sneak Attack anymore. Unless Bozzok has some kind of great Feint skill, then that puts him at a major disadvantage in melee against a full BAB class.

Zordrath
2008-11-21, 04:55 PM
One of the best strips so far. And here I was thinking the comic's quality had begun to decline... :smalleek:

Oh, and by the way, it's nice to finally have even the slightest chance for longwinded "Is Belkar CE?" debates completely erased from existance :smallamused:

Level20Commoner
2008-11-21, 04:57 PM
My prediction for the next strip:

It's mur-mur-murderin' time!
It's mur-mur-murderin' time!

DaisyGMYAD
2008-11-21, 04:57 PM
Thanks Giant!!! Simply the best strip in months both in form and content.

...and speaking as a redhead who also recently removed a ten-inch ponytail worth of hair, Haley's new hair is going to be rockin'...ya know, if she survives :smallfrown:

Scion_of_Darkness
2008-11-21, 04:58 PM
What is the "Passcode: Evolve or Die" thing about? I didn't quite get that.

And please tell me Haley's new resemblance to her Latent Bisexuality means nothing.

Edit: Never mind, wrong mental aspect.

Knolan
2008-11-21, 04:58 PM
A very well played ranger can probably beat those rogues, he would need some luck tought, he would need to sneak crystal, attack her, win initiative, full round and hope to kill her.
He might have Uncanny dodge, not improoved uncanny dodge, so if he gets flanked he is dead meat.

Duos Greanleef
2008-11-21, 05:02 PM
I think the thing that pleases me most is the relative rapidity of the last few comics' release!
Not to mention the fact that they've been freaking AWESOME!
I HEART OotS!
:biggrin:

RTGoodman
Like a lot of people have said, this is one of the best strips. I've been here a while now (since around 400), and it's one of my favorite so far. :Applauds:

Well, back when we first met the Cleric he said he'd seen Azure City marks of justice before and knew how to remove them. You can probably find it with a quick glance back through the archives.

Lizard Lord
For those that say that Belkar will go on mindless killing sprees now that niether Roy nor the Mark of Justice is there to stop him, I believe you would be wrong.

Belkar is still Chaotic Evil, sure, but he is "playing the game" now. He is planning on cheating, but cheating implies that you are at least trying to be sneaky about it. In other words, his acts of Chaotic Evil aren't going to include murdering a random innocent in front of the rest of the OotS and/or the town guard. It may, however, include killing people behind the OotS backs.

Whether or not this means he will kill the cleric, I am not sure. After all, Belkar could easily say the rogues got him. However, if he does kill the cleric it would be after the battle is over.

nerdman3000
2008-11-21, 05:03 PM
One of the best strips in a long time. Excellent. This is why I love Belkar!

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-21, 05:04 PM
609/610 reminds me of 448/449. Through unexpected means, the bad guys has rendered the hero(es) incapacitated, and everyone feels down. Then in the next one, while the bad guys taunt the incapacitated hero, the cavalry dramatically becomes apparent, and good times can be expected!

AKA_Bait
2008-11-21, 05:05 PM
It's even sweet: check out Mr. Scruffy licking Belkars hand!:smallredface:

I'm finally going slowly into the Mr. Scruffy fanclub... did anyone else notice that Belkar's vision of Shojo started with Mr. Scruffy licking his hand and only stopped in the last panel where the curse is removed?

Yes, I recognize that he appears to be being carried around etc. by Shojo, but those panels are part of Belkars vision/dream. The third-person perspective panels begin and end with Mr. Scruffy licking Belkar. I wonder...

pendell
Damn... I'm sure that many people who were saying the strips were taking too much time got what they wanted. I as one of them got my mouth shut as well :smallbiggrin:

What he said.

GO SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR. Cut those poor bastards into meatsacks! Release your rage bathing in their blood and let the stench of death reek once again as you pile infinite corpses. For you are the one and only. You are Belkar, the SHOELESS GOD OF WAR :smallfurious:

What he said again.

As I said in the comments in the last thread -- I have faith in the Giant's penchant for happy endings, and that trust has been validated yet again.

Belkar reminds me of a human hand grenade -- the trick is to put him in the right place and pull his pin.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Swashbuckler
Two words in regards to the Sexy Shoeless God of War ...

HELL

YES!
:amused:

TheBST
2008-11-21, 05:07 PM
YES

WOOO

Fantastic strip on so many levels.

The pass-code being 'evolve or die' gives me an idea:

considering thatShojo was in charge of Azure City and given that his face appears when someone breaks the rules of the mark- it's possible that the mark as a spell and how it works was Shojo's idea.

If an individual breaks the mark, then they are the kind of person who doesn't even care about their own preservation above killing people. So if they set off the curse, they all experience a 'hallucination' of Shojo giving them an ultimatum: 'Since you can't stop being sadistic- at least pretend to be civil instead of being an avatar of murder and chaos'.

It calls back to Shojo's 'Play The Game' philosophy of being Chaotic- you have to be subtle to get away with it, more cunning- you have to evolve or die.

Felkethar
2008-11-21, 05:08 PM
Ok this was just an awesome set of strips!

It really is nice to see Belkar develop into something more.

Deme
2008-11-21, 05:08 PM
... This comic is pure win. pure. win. This is the sort of win you get when you're eating s'mores with hot cocoa on a cold night. This is the sort of win commonly found on the top portions of cupcakes with real icing. This is...this is...THIS IS OotS!

Belkarsbadside1
2008-11-21, 05:10 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, knowing Rich, he will probably cut scene to Durkon now.

MissHeartless
2008-11-21, 05:11 PM
(bow down and stare in wonder)

:belkar:

Slothboy
2008-11-21, 05:13 PM
Giant, this strip is some of your finest work. Absolutely outstanding.

Kaytara
2008-11-21, 05:13 PM
Yes.... Just yes. I'm not religious, but bless you, Richard Burlew. :) I almost teared up at the pure epicness of this comic... You really know how to turn and twist a story around. ^^

Hydro Globus
2008-11-21, 05:14 PM
YES

WOOO

Fantastic strip on so many levels.

The pass-code being 'evolve or die' gives me an idea:

considering thatShojo was in charge of Azure City and given that his face appears when someone breaks the rules of the mark- it's possible that the mark as a spell and how it works was Shojo's idea.

If an individual breaks the mark, then they are the kind of person who doesn't even care about their own preservation above killing people. So if they set off the curse, they all experience a 'hallucination' of Shojo giving them an ultimatum: 'Since you can't stop being sadistic- at least pretend to be civil instead of being an avatar of murder and chaos'.

It calls back to Shojo's 'Play The Game' philosophy of being Chaotic- you have to be subtle to get away with it, more cunning- you have to evolve or die.

Whadda...

GREAT idea! :)

Olibarro
2008-11-21, 05:15 PM
Wow. Wow wow wow wow wow! WOW!

Single greatest comic in a very long time. I got chills. I still have them. Every nerve I have is tensed and geared and ready for what comes next. The most effective build-up I think Rich has ever done.

Wow.

Enlong
2008-11-21, 05:16 PM
I wonder which "Evolve or Die" the comic was meant to reference?

I think it's in reference to character growth, or at least false character growth (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0606.html). The idea being that the curse forces the afflicted to change their ways to avoid the curse.

Too bad the Azure City Clerics didn't count on the intervention of hallucinatory Shojos.

brionl
I had a pretty good guess what Shojo was trying to get Belkar to say from the first. It was a pretty good scene anyway though. Maybe now Belkar will be more useful than annoying.

And in the Cleric's first appearance he said that he recognized the spell as being from Azure City, and they always used the same command word. He was all ready to remove it anyway when Haley & Celia stopped him. Since his best bet of getting out of there was contacting Durkon as well, we can probably assume he finish casting the sending before shifting to Belkar.

I don't think the Bard, Arcane Trickster and Rogue (?whatever he is) will give Belkar much trouble. The only question is who else is left besides Bozzok & Crystal.

Iago
Aww, gimme a HELL YEAH!

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-21, 05:18 PM
I think it's in reference to character growth, or at least false character growth (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0606.html). The idea being that the curse forces the afflicted to change their ways to avoid the curse.

Too bad the Azure City Clerics didn't count on the intervention of hallucinatory Shojos.

Yeah, it seems likely. It sounded like a reference and Google turned up nothing definitive. I could've sworn I saw/read something where "Evolve or Die" was used too... :smallconfused:

Blade206
You guys rock. 2 comic strips in quick succession. I gotta give you props for this one. So lets see here, 3 nameless NPC thieves guild members breaking into a room with a newly cured Belkar who hasn't killed anything (That he can remember) since that gnome. I think i smell 3 fatalities coming up (4 if he decides to kill the nameless priest of loki just for kicks).

Morty
Am I the only one who sees "I'm Chaotic Evil" as a jab at everyone claiming that "Belkar isn't Evil!"? Then again, I don't think there were any such people left.

Cizak
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I'm sitting in my chair and BOUNCING a little! That was freakin' AWESOME!! EPIC!!! GREATNESS!!!

FoE
2008-11-21, 05:19 PM
Christ, this is tense. What a fantastic strip this was .... I'm practically trembling with excitement.

Go get 'em, Belkar. Go do what you do best. :smallamused:

OverdrivePrime
2008-11-21, 05:19 PM
Simply an incredible strip! I love the delicious irony we're tasting - just when things look darkest for our heroes, the shining, glorious dawn that saves them is Death's Little Helper, the 3 Foot Cavalry, the Sexy, Shoeless God of War.

I am mightily entertained. http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/mwellenstein/Win/rock.gif

Heroic
2008-11-21, 05:21 PM
wow.. that comic was so amazing!

fangthane
2008-11-21, 05:22 PM
...so there I was, on the phone with one of the guys with whom I play D&D, asking if he'd read 609 - "It takes a thief" and went to the index. Saw two things immediately.
1. Ahh, that makes more sense, he's changed it to "it takes two thieves, actually" and---
2. THERE'S A NEW ONE!!!!!!!!

I'd love to hope that Belkar's character growth doesn't include a sudden reluctance to use flaming alcoholic grenades. :smallbiggrin:

I'm not sure whether I'd rather see Haley die or have a cliche 'nick-of-time' rescue, but I'm damned glad that Belkar's back from the land of magical cart fairies in time to lay down some serious smack. And that despite herself Celia's learning that Good != Stupid. Nice synchronicity on the buildups too; it was tough keeping up the self-discipline to only look at one frame at a time, but well worth it. Nice touch on the idea of dreams/visions often dovetailing with obvious external influences at the cusp of awakening too; I can't count how many times I've dreamed of loud noises that resolve themselves into my alarm clock.

pylonhead
Great comic today. One of the high points of a great series.

ColdSepp
Great strip.

I just hope it isn't a false leadup....

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-21, 05:23 PM
Am I the only one who sees "I'm Chaotic Evil" as a jab at everyone claiming that "Belkar isn't Evil!"? Then again, I don't think there were any such people left.

I think it was included because Belkar was picking among all his character traits.

And yes, I think he covered them all :smalltongue:

pasta
2008-11-21, 05:25 PM
Could "Evolve or Die" refer to this?

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Other_-_Evolve_or_Die

If so, it might be possible foreshadowing and/or spoilers, so read at your own risk.

Kaytara
2008-11-21, 05:25 PM
A horrible thought just occurred to me. So DID the cleric finish the Sending... or did he just stop because he saw that the thieves were about to break in and decided to cure Belkar instead? :smalleek:

In other news, loved the Sweeney Todd reference. :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2008-11-21, 05:26 PM
Omigod, that's just perfect. Fantastic strip.

Osgiliath
2008-11-21, 05:28 PM
As with the previous 609 strips, with every resolution, there is always another question imposed upon the readers.

Does anyone else think that the prophecy concerning Belkar's "death" is metaphorical?

Can anyone truly legitimately argue that a Level ~12 Ranger/ Level ~2 Barbarian, can take out the remainder of the Guild? More importantly the leader, which is at least Level 16, and Haley's rival which is about equal to the Order of the Stick's average level? If Belkar is going to pull a victory out of his hind-quarters, he better roll high.

Can't wait to see the final resolution of this side-story Rich, really looking forward to it!

Fingolfin
2008-11-21, 05:29 PM
I haven't commented for quite some time but now I have to say WELL done Rich for the drama, the comedy, and fast followup of the last comic, this was great! :smallsmile:

Can't wait for the next issue!

Morty
2008-11-21, 05:29 PM
I think it was included because Belkar was picking among all his character traits.

And yes, I think he covered them all :smalltongue:

That's not mutually exclusive.

chibibar
2008-11-21, 05:30 PM
WOO!! total coolness.

The_Firenail
2008-11-21, 05:31 PM
Okay:
-It was pretty quick
-It... was... good...
-Few humorus references (eg:Sweeney Toddette? I'm not sure, but I don't think that's how it goes)
-I would suggest the sub-parties' events go across, and each of them on top of one another, if you know what I mean.
-And so, the plotline progresses! Rock the Casbah! Go Rich Burlew!(iThink)

One_Wolf
2008-11-21, 05:32 PM
I am sooooo excited right now! I love Belkar.

-One Wolf

St.Sinner
2008-11-21, 05:32 PM
Oi. The haircut does not suit Haley at all. Although that is the least of her problems.

Yay for Belkar!

Scatman
2008-11-21, 05:33 PM
I believe I just came. I was also wrong about no one saving the day. I'm going to go sulk. Also, I was ninja'd by eight people.

(Also, I believe "Evolve or die" might be a Pokemon reference)

Dys
Ever since the Cleric of Loki's first appearance, I almost knew he would end up removing the curse. When and how, I couldn't have guessed, but why was obvious; an extra fighter is a higher chance of victory.

This reminds me of something that was said in an Erfworld discussion:

Parson's soul as the ultimate warlord must be forged under the hottest of fires, and it's not quite hot enough yet

I'm reminded of this quote because right now, the fires in OotS couldn't get any hotter. Had the curse been removed sooner, had Celia escaped or Haley emerge victorious, Belkar's character development wouldn't be so pivotal. He'd just be an extra set of murderous little hands. Now, the entire scene went from "holy sh*t, they're f*cked", to "holy sh*t, he's going to kick some ASS!" in an instant.

Kudos to the Giant for incredible storytelling.

(I'm rather new to the forum and unsure of the policies surrounding cursing, so apologies if that was improper).

Dys.

Monation
YEAH MAN!!! GO BELKAR!!!!
Without even knowing, I physically jumped from my seat and punched the air and screamed 'yeah!'. Everyone in my office thinks I'm insane now. But it was totally worth it :smallbiggrin:.
NOW GO KICK SOME BUTT LITTLE DUDE.

Fraxinus
2008-11-21, 05:34 PM
Mh it could just end up that way. Nice strip, sure.

Mauve Shirt
2008-11-21, 05:35 PM
She looks like the part of Haley's brain that's sick of all this drama and wants to get back to comedy!

Deploy
2008-11-21, 05:35 PM
:smallyuk::smallyuk:Yay for the return of the sexy shoeless god of war!:smallyuk::smallyuk:

Seraph
2008-11-21, 05:38 PM
I can has the raging fury of a thousand dying suns?

PaladinFreak
2008-11-21, 05:38 PM
Something tells me this is gonna be awsome.

Oeep Snaec
2008-11-21, 05:39 PM
Lol whoever goes through that door is so screwed.

bandobraz
I've just registered only to say: Order of the Stick 610 is absolutely phenomenal, staggering, grandiose and wonderful. There is slim chance the next few installments will not be a disappointment in comparison. But it does not really matter. I won't even complain if Order of the Stick stops now. The code is complete.

Migue
He's A Sexy Shoeless God Of War!!!

Crimson Titan
2008-11-21, 05:47 PM
I love it when a plan comes together.

I've been waiting for this moment since the MoJ was put on Belkar. Now, if irony holds up, Durkon and Elan will recieve the message shortly after V leaves the group, kind of like a huge "HA HA" in V's face for not waiting ten minutes. If there's any wizards left on the boat one of them should be able to teleport, but if not I could so see Belkar just cutting his way through all the guild's members, as he is an unstoppable killing machine, humming the Darth Vader theme.

"Dum dum dum dum duh dum dum duh dum..."

http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/137.gif = :belkar:

Hydro Globus
2008-11-21, 05:51 PM
A horrible thought just occurred to me. So DID the cleric finish the Sending... or did he just stop because he saw that the thieves were about to break in and decided to cure Belkar instead? :smalleek:

In other news, loved the Sweeney Todd reference. :smallbiggrin:

He couldn't, that takes ten minutes.

Revlid
2008-11-21, 05:53 PM
I don't post in these threads very often, but I feel obliged to today - OotS 610 is absolutely goddamn sublime. I would, in all seriousness, pay good money for this one strip.

"Evolve or Die"? That is the gorgeous icing on an already beautiful cake.

Oslecamo
2008-11-21, 05:55 PM
This epic strip totally deserves it's own epic background music.

BELKAR IS BACK! LET THE ENEMIES OF THE ORDER OF THE STICK COWER IN FEAR ONCE AGAIN! HE'S A ***** SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!

I preview major halfing ownage with cleric backup to keep him running with all the sneack attacks flying around.

Now question:will Belkar kill the cleric who saved his ass? Or will he pretend well enough he has turned a page on his life and spare him?

thestarvingpoet
2008-11-21, 05:55 PM
But I'm worried about this: Squiddleydoodlefluffer :smallfrown:

Me too! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0569.html) That's the first thing I thought of.

calvinism
2008-11-21, 06:00 PM
I know for certain that that will be used in Afghanistan ,over and over, ad naseum
great strip

Lerky
2008-11-21, 06:01 PM
the true 100th strip:smallamused:

aw...Haley has a new haircut. Although it goes seem more rougish, wonder what Elan will think?

BELKAR IS PURE AWSOME:biggring:
(also, the color is especially used for this occasion)

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-21, 06:04 PM
He's not removing the side effects of the curse: he's removing the curse entirely. Belkar could listen to the 14-hour opera written in the language that only has "squiddlydoodleflutter" as a word, and he'd be fine.

1stEd.Thief
2008-11-21, 06:04 PM
Sexy Shoeless Slayin' Savior!

YES!

"Are you good at fighting?" Heh... there's gonna be a lot of Xs drawn over eyes, real soon!

Lord Seth
2008-11-21, 06:09 PM
Oooh, a fast update, nice. Keep 'em coming like this.

Incidentally, I loved Belkar's "I'm the only funny thing left in this damn comic strip!"

Belkar Rocks
2008-11-21, 06:09 PM
BOO YAH!

Oh yeah baby, it's time to see some mass murder! Who's the halfling? That's right.

DBear
2008-11-21, 06:10 PM
Nice strip:smallbiggrin:, but something's not adding up. According to #608 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0608.html), Haley & Crystal met at age 19. Haley was 24 as of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0168.html) strip. I know it hasn't been two years since then and the current issue, so that's only five years, not the seven as stated in the current strip.

Am I missing something?:smallconfused:

Guchalez
2008-11-21, 06:11 PM
I loved this strip, seriously, the best one since I started readind(524). Great work Rich.

omgpeachsnapple
2008-11-21, 06:11 PM
Oh HECK yeah.

That was epic and amazing and I love you, Rich

Adeptus
2008-11-21, 06:12 PM
The Belkster's back baby!!! :belkar:

Aimbot
2008-11-21, 06:13 PM
anyone else think it's awfully convenient that barbarians can keep fighting even after they've taken lethal damage?

Hydro Globus
2008-11-21, 06:14 PM
He's not removing the side effects of the curse: he's removing the curse entirely. Belkar could listen to the 14-hour opera written in the language that only has "squiddlydoodleflutter" as a word, and he'd be fine.

No he wouldn't. No one would be! :)

Mc. Lovin'
2008-11-21, 06:15 PM
Man, if Belkar is a Sexy Shoeless god of War then you're a sexy (perhaps if I met you) Shoeless (if you roll that way) God of Storytelling

omgpeachsnapple
2008-11-21, 06:16 PM
I hope Celia drew Durkon well enough .... :smallconfused:

Eck
2008-11-21, 06:16 PM
This great episode has pulled me through the screen and into the forums for the first time... so first... hi!

Wanted to point out that this current storyline mirrors my favorite Star Trek Voyager episode of all time (granted, there weren't many good ones, but just bare with me). It was called Basics (two parter).

Brad Douriff (Wormtongue from LOTR) played a character named Lon Suder. He was a bad dood... a murderer iirc... but since there is no capital punishment, the captain confined him to quarters... locked him up for good. Tuvok had been trying to teach Lon how to suppress his sociopathic tendencies with meditation.

much later that season... the kazon attack and take over the ship. They use the ship's crew list to make sure they round up everyone, but due to the fact that Lon isn't really considered part of the crew anymore (hey, he'd only been in that one other episode!), they didn't know he was there.

The hologram doctor appears in Lon's quarters and tells him the ship has been taken over and he's the only person on the ship that isn't captured... so it's up to him to save the entire ship! And to do so... he just might have to get rough with the Kazon!

oh so sweet... the character that nobody likes because he's a murderer is the only one who can save them all! And of course does so by going on a rampage...

So... Belkar is locked away in his quarters/mind by the punishment/curse for breaking the rules. The Kazon Guild has taken over the house. Haley's new haircut makes her look like Janeway lol! The hologram Shojo appears and his pep talk frees him from his jail cell coma and convinces Belkar he needs to go do some killing...

now... I wonder what Jeri Ryan would look like as a stick figure?

richardcory47
2008-11-21, 06:17 PM
I am admittedly too lazy to sift back through the 5 pages that have already sprung up in a little over two hours, but I'd like to point out two things:

1. Belkar is a sexy shoeless god of war.

2. There is highly explosive moonshine helping barricade the door.

I am at a loss for words.

chiasaur11
2008-11-21, 06:17 PM
Man, that updated fast.

Good thing Crystal's so stupid. Here's hoping the Belkstar manages to pull this out.

Martok
2008-11-21, 06:18 PM
Oh boy. This is gonna be good. I sense an impending Crowning Moment of Awesome.... :smallamused:

Shott
2008-11-21, 06:19 PM
Wow that was a great one.

David Argall
2008-11-21, 06:22 PM
Really quick, which I am not going to complain about.

Really good? Well, it takes all sorts. But those who like it are mostly betting on the come. It's just a preparation strip for 611.

For once, one of my ideas seems to be being used. Belkar is going to cause a fuss that will distract Crystal and Bozzok, allowing Celia to save Haley.
Can Bozzok beat Belkar? Probably, and if he can get full help from Crystal, it's pretty much a lock. A ranger doesn't get uncanny dodge, and Belkar appears to have only one level of barbarian. So he gets hit for something like an extra 16d6. Add in some hefty more standard damage and Belkar is down in two rounds or less.
Now if he is cautious [Belkar?], Belkar may be able to avoid the flank, and thus make a serious fight of it, but unless Bozzok is one of Belkar's favorite enemies types, it's not going to end well for the "good" guy.

The priest just got through sending a message to Belkar, so he and Elan will probably show up pretty soon. I have a hard time believing that Hinjo doesn't have any teleporters left.
426: Hinjo speculates some of the nobles may have one, but he doesn't.

Could "Evolve or Die" refer to this?

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Other_-_Evolve_or_Die
The phrase, or something close to it, has been used many times in many ways, so the odds are poor.
It is quite possibly just a reference to Belkar's dream, and has no serious connection to any non-strip reference.

Being lawful paladins, Azure City always uses the same pass code. The rogues of Greysky have learned it, so they can cure people like Belkar easily. Since those who got caught in Azure City would figure it dangerous to go back, the paladins have not realized anybody knows the pass code.

Deme
2008-11-21, 06:23 PM
Nice strip:smallbiggrin:, but something's not adding up. According to #608 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0608.html), Haley & Crystal met at age 19. Haley was 24 as of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0168.html) strip. I know it hasn't been two years since then and the current issue, so that's only five years, not the seven as stated in the current strip.

Am I missing something?:smallconfused:

...well, it IS Crystal. Would we be surprised if she couldn't count?
...that's probably not what it is, but, you know...it's be fun if that was what it was.

Manoftyr
2008-11-21, 06:27 PM
*Que Warzone by Slayer*

Enter the Sexy Shoeless God of War! and let carnage ensue!

Eck
2008-11-21, 06:28 PM
oh and one other thing... since the codeword was "evolve or die", it makes sense that if Belkar had done nothing to "evolve", he would die. So... now I'm wondering... since Belkar already thought he is a "sexy shoeless god of war", this recent statement would NOT constitute evolution... and it could be figured that since he didn't evolve, he would die. But! The Cleric removes the curse before this could happen! So... I wonder if Belkar FAILED the test, but just got lucky that the Cleric was there to save him.

busterswd
2008-11-21, 06:32 PM
The last few strips, while they had some chuckleworthy moments, were basically Haley running away or Belkar hallucinating. A bit slow.

610 was extremely satisfying for me, and the type of strip that compels me to not only post about it but to check compulsively for the next update.

Nekulor
2008-11-21, 06:35 PM
Belkar is, in fact, a sexy, shoeless God of War, and he is about to fark someone up big time. This is his first chance to kill in what, 100 comics? He is going to get a strength and con bonus just because his status will probably be something along the lines of Berserk.

Hithros
2008-11-21, 06:35 PM
...What? Comic #610 already? That was fast!

That beside, I seriously don't know how Belkar is going to get to the thieves in time to keep Haley from execution...

Devoured_Dude
2008-11-21, 06:36 PM
Man, when Crystal got her "trophy," I thought it was Haley's liver or something.

raphfrk
2008-11-21, 06:36 PM
1. Ahh, that makes more sense, he's changed it to "it takes two thieves, actually" and---

Is there any way to tell the comic names except by going to the archive?

Ted The Bug
2008-11-21, 06:37 PM
EPIC. WIN.
Also, @ raph: yes, it says on the left of the screen.

Kato
2008-11-21, 06:37 PM
One word: aaaaaaaaaaawesome!
Okay, it might be the fanboy in me but I feel a massive wave of epic coming. Looking forward to it!

BrokenButterfly
2008-11-21, 06:41 PM
Man, I haven't posted on these forums for ages...but I just popped in to say fantastic strip.

rgoodfellow
2008-11-21, 06:42 PM
Belkster Bitterleaf, Aka The Belkster, AKA Death's Little Helper, is BACK!

Fiery Diamond
2008-11-21, 06:42 PM
WOOOHOOOOOO!

Awesome Comic, Sir! Wonderful reprise of "I am a sexy shoeless god of war!"
Please, tell us what music your imagined was in the background!

keldorn
2008-11-21, 06:45 PM
So there's one thing I'm wondering

What are Belkar's favoured enemies?
I can't help feeling that PC races would figure highly.

Jimorian
2008-11-21, 06:46 PM
6 pages of comments and everybody missed this:

Crystal is HESITATING about killing Haley

WinterSolstice
2008-11-21, 06:48 PM
c'monnnnn 611!

...also....is Hailey's new haircut similar to "Hailey's Latent Bisexuality's" cut?

Zero-Alpha
2008-11-21, 06:49 PM
By sheerest chance, I read today's comic with "Pierce The Heavens With Your XXX!!" from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann thundering in the background. I can imagine NO soundtrack more appropriate. :smallbiggrin:

Fantastic storytelling, Mr. Burlew. My sincere praises to you, sir.

raphfrk
2008-11-21, 06:49 PM
Also, @ raph: yes, it says on the left of the screen.

Yeah, but only for the current one, if you look at the previous comic, it still shows the name of the most up to date one.

Dys
2008-11-21, 06:50 PM

She's enjoying the moment and wants to gloat as much as she can. Bozzock is ruining her fun.

Dys.

raphfrk
2008-11-21, 06:51 PM

Maybe she is just enjoying the moment

Sir_Norbert
2008-11-21, 06:51 PM
Poor Haley! Hope she manages to persuade Durkon to cure her hair once this is all over. She was so beautiful....

Wow, this strip really had me shaking as I took it as slowly as I could. Can't really add much to what everyone else has said, but just thought I'd add my voice to the worshipping crowd nonetheless.

Heliomance
2008-11-21, 06:54 PM
I have just one thing to say in response to this strip.

UNLEASH THE FOKKING FURY!

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-11-21, 06:58 PM
I must say, Rich has been busy lately!

Moran
Oh, Twelve Gods.
I think I just had an evilgasm.
one of the best strip of all times

Koshiro
As with the previous 609 strips, with every resolution, there is always another question imposed upon the readers.

Does anyone else think that the prophecy concerning Belkar's "death" is metaphorical?
Well, I've been thinking a weird thought concerning Belkar's destiny...
A sexy shoeless god of war. God of war.
It just occurred to me: Besides vampires, zombies, whathaveyou, there is actually one other type of creature you can become after you die, that does not breathe, that is literally not "of this world", thus "not long" for it... and, well, if Banjo almost made it, why should the Belkster not?

vbushido
2008-11-21, 07:01 PM
I think the whole Belkar/Shojo scene and the Evolve or Die passcode is a shout out to Babylon 5. I can't be the only on old enough to remember this is the Season 4 tagline. I could understand if no one else remembered Z'ha'dum which the 'who are you' seems to refer.

-----
Amateurs worry about strategy. Dilettantes worry about tactics. Professionals worry about logistics.

zach12376
2008-11-21, 07:02 PM
I have one thing to say.

HECK YES! THE SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes, i actually said this and neary gave my brother a heart attack

Kobold-Bard
Loving the multiple comiccy goodness.

And as for that line, I haven't read the whole thread but I assume that it has been spouted enough times so I won't despoil such a piece of literary magnificence by repeating it again. Lets just say that I already have the shirt with the original panel on it because I have said right through that Belkar is F***ing awesome, and that all those who were bringing the Belkar hate must now hang their heads in shame and join the Vaarsuvius detracktors in the corner of wrongness.

Screw it I changed my mind. I AM SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!!!! :smallbiggrin:

Thez
My gods!
This is turning very good indeed... First Haley getting the "knife" as it were, and now Belkar getting let loose...

I must state that, the shifting of scenes gave me, at least, a sense of fast paced action :)

Well done Rich :)

TBone
2008-11-21, 07:04 PM
The should have sent a poet...no words...

I am so very happy. I have missed Belkar so very much.

Saint Nil
2008-11-21, 07:05 PM
Mr.Giant, I think I love you. THank you for writing OOTS.

hungryLIKEALION
2008-11-21, 07:05 PM
asdfghjkl;;;

I literally could not contain my joygasming as I read these pages... I was bouncing around my room just trying to read each panel and not just skip to the end. Too excellent!

But poor Haley's hair :( She was so pretty, and I've always hated short hairstyles on women.

Jimorian
2008-11-21, 07:08 PM
Maybe she is just enjoying the moment

Here's where the "there's only a limited amount of expressions you can have in a stick-figure comic" crowd loses. That is most definitely not an expression of "drat, thanks for the buzzkill on my kill". That is most definitely a "man, now that the moment I've waited for is here, I'm not sure I really wanna" look.

Now I'm not saying it's a real change of heart or alignment, it might just be that she'd just miss having a nemesis to hate. Beyond that, how the scene plays out is still anybody's guess, but I'll bet you a cookie that it's important.

Azuroth
2008-11-21, 07:15 PM
Concerning squiddleydoodlefluffer (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0569.html)

Recall that Roy also had an activation word.

Moik
2008-11-21, 07:15 PM
EPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC

I would pay money to have the next few pages right now.

frogman55
2008-11-21, 07:17 PM
I've got to agree with Jimor.
It could be regret due to any number of reasons, but i'm betting it is, indeed, regret. If she was irritated at Bozzak then she would be looking at him, not Haley.

Again, limited facial expressions in any sort of comic leave this up for a great deal of interpretation, but I've got the feeling that Crystal's goal all along was simply to cut Haley's hair. Killing her, despite her assassin status, was probably never really considered, or rather, never fantasized about.

Metool2
2008-11-21, 07:19 PM
Rich, you have been one hell of an SOB. So many bad things have been going on in my life lately, every stress being thrown at me, and this comic was only getting worse and adding...

Then you did this comic...

Rich. You're the man.

CRY BELKAR! LET LOOSE THE DOGS OF WAR!

Crimson Titan
2008-11-21, 07:19 PM
I just realized that the stuff blocking the door is moonshine, and Belkar has already proven to be good at throwing matches...
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0270.html

I can see the big letters BOOM on the next strip already, followed by Slash Slash Slash Slash Slash Slash Slash Slash Slash Slash Slash.... wait, that's Miko... i mean Stabby Stabby Stabby Stabby Stabby Stabby Stabby Stabby Stabby...

Nevitan
2008-11-21, 07:20 PM
I never thought I'd see the day where Belkar saves the party!

Amazing Comic.

otakuryoga
2008-11-21, 07:20 PM
One of the best strips so far. And here I was thinking the comic's quality had begun to decline... :smalleek:

Oh, and by the way, it's nice to finally have even the slightest chance for longwinded "Is Belkar CE?" debates completely erased from existance :smallamused:
yes...though i cant believe it took til nearly the end of page 3 before someone mentioned the 100% proof of his alignment

crystal better HOPE that :belkar:kills her before the priest can heal :haley:---not all the 12 gods and the northern gods and any other gods out there will be able to save her from a world of pain if Haley gets healed and sees her new hairdo

AWESOME COMIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dys
2008-11-21, 07:27 PM
Killing her, despite her assassin status, was probably never really considered, or rather, never fantasized about.

I disagree. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html)

Dys.

timbot
2008-11-21, 07:33 PM
After my long hiatus from the forum, I had to come back to say this: THIS IS SO EPIC! OOTS would make a great movie. Way better than Twilight (Haven't seen it, don't want to. Sorry people who like it!) On a side note: I am sure that Shojo dream was a pre-installed automatic occurrence as a result of the curse.

dougcosine
2008-11-21, 07:36 PM
i really liked the whole tag metaphor.

and, epic strip. OOTS is the reason i still read game related web comics.

Ridureyu
2008-11-21, 07:36 PM
It would be really awesome if Belkar dies two panels into the next strip, having accomplished nothing:smallbiggrin:

Dragor
2008-11-21, 07:39 PM
One of those strips which made me laugh and almost cry at the humiliation of Haley at the same time.

HOLEkevin
2008-11-21, 07:39 PM
Beautiful. I had totally forgotten about the sexy shoeless god of war. As long as Belkar manages not to die two panels into the next strip, having accomplished nothing, I'll be happy.

Jan Mattys
2008-11-21, 07:40 PM
GREAT RICH

You bring the Belkster, I bring Popcorn!!!!!

\o/

Mercenary Pen
2008-11-21, 07:41 PM
I think the whole Belkar/Shojo scene and the Evolve or Die passcode is a shout out to Babylon 5. I can't be the only on old enough to remember this is the Season 4 tagline. I could understand if no one else remembered Z'ha'dum which the 'who are you' seems to refer.

Actually, that last strip with Shojo and Belkar has real shades of B5 Episode 'Comes the inquisitor'- though I'm not certain that Shojo would particularly care to be compared with 'sebastian'/jack the ripper...

Is it me, or does the speed at which the past few strips have been coming out suggest that the Giant is enthusiastic about getting to the end of this arc?

Brother_Hood
2008-11-21, 07:42 PM
The next strip he'd better imitate a Cuisinart. :)

Demonicbunny
2008-11-21, 07:43 PM
*Que Warzone by Slayer*

Enter the Sexy Shoeless God of War! and let carnage ensue!

I was more thinking "America- **** yeah!". Except substituting every instance of "America" with Belkar.

T-O-E
2008-11-21, 07:46 PM
As with the previous 609 strips,

Previous 609 strips?

BwenGun
2008-11-21, 07:46 PM
I do believe Belkar is about to have another aristeia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristeia). :smallbiggrin:

Blanth
2008-11-21, 07:47 PM
Huh, those two came quickly...

Anyway! SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR! Been screaming that line at my screen way before I read it...

I was thinking this too right from the moment Shojo asked Belkar what he was.

:D

Also, Scatman; I was also thinking the Evolve or Die sounded a bit pokemon-ish. Hmm.

Moonshadow
2008-11-21, 07:48 PM
*chuckle* and so the grunt death begins.

I think its too much TF2, but I have this vision of Belkar bursting out and yelling, "Say goodbye to your knee caps, chuckleheads!"

snafu
2008-11-21, 07:49 PM
Now if he is cautious [Belkar?], Belkar may be able to avoid the flank, and thus make a serious fight of it, but unless Bozzok is one of Belkar's favorite enemies types, it's not going to end well for the "good" guy.

If Belkar _doesn't_ have 'human' as a favoured enemy, then I'm deeply disappointed in him and he has his priorities in life all wrong. Since he's been thinking deeply about his future lately, I hope he takes whatever steps are necessary to correct this if needs be. For instance, by killing quite a lot of humans to get in practice.

Mike_the_Mystic
2008-11-21, 07:52 PM
Oh yes, sh*t is about to go down! Best comic this arc rich, you must keep up the good work. SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!!!!!! Yea!:smallbiggrin:

WarriorTribble
2008-11-21, 07:53 PM
Thank you. While I always liked B5 I wished they stopped taking that damn question so seriously.

Sc00by
2008-11-21, 08:00 PM
I've not posted for ages (at least a year). I had to go an look up my user ID! But I enjoyed 610 (and 609 and indeed all the 600s so far) so much that I felt that a post was required, just to say so!

Also - wild speculation in the spoiler tags!

It occurs to me that there is a High level Wizard who is actively looking for Haley. Everyone seems to think that Belkar is going to save the day. I think it could be V!

Underfoot
2008-11-21, 08:03 PM
I would have enjoyed this strip a lot more if I wasn't convinced Belkar will redeem himself by slaughtering all of the Thieves' Guild and sacrificing himself to take out Bozzok.

Pronounceable
2008-11-21, 08:04 PM
[insert praise and adoration here] [insert more of it][now double that]

Though I still think the surreal dream strip was the best strip in addition to being the greatest artistic achievement of Rich to date, this strip definitely is among his masterpieces.

WOOOO! GO BELKAR!!!

Here's hoping Bozzok survives the shoeless god's wrath...

PS: How many characters got a cmoa in deep coma? Not many I bet.

Tobimaro
2008-11-21, 08:04 PM
Why do I foresee a "Belkar saves the day" moment, if only to allow him to be able to gloat about it later on?

"Halfling evisceration in 3...2...1..." :smallwink:

hungryLIKEALION
2008-11-21, 08:05 PM
I'm glad the Giant has picked up the pace of both the storytelling and the comic updates. I think just by the laws of good storytelling the next few comics will be the kind that restore our hope in our heroes and set all the wrongs they've incurred lightly straight. We've stuck through so much disaster lately, I don't think the average reader can take much more depressing content before we see the light. I trust The Giant to make these next few strips epic, fun, and satisfying.

Stormthorn
2008-11-21, 08:05 PM
I love that cleric guy.

And when the assassin chick sits on Haley...that was creepy.

Lokasenna
2008-11-21, 08:07 PM
There are no words. Thank you, Rich, for this wonderful strip.

Evolve or die indeed. Shojo must have programmed that into the curse at some point so his chat with Belkar could happen. Even after death he's still protecting the world. This is why he is one of my favorite characters.

And yes, Belkar, The sexy shoeless god of war is back. Go get those thieves.

And the cleric thinks Haley is pretty, interesting.

Deepkicker
2008-11-21, 08:08 PM
Oh I'm pumped. Imminent Belkar action and a new haircut for Haley. Best strip in a while.

newcresty
2008-11-21, 08:11 PM
Best strip ever.

Alteran
2008-11-21, 08:14 PM
The Giant has fulfilled his awesome quota for the MONTH!

But that's no reason to stop updating. :smallwink:

That was the best comic in quite a long time, and with a comic like this that's saying quite a bit. Keep up the great work, Giant!

Zolem
2008-11-21, 08:14 PM
Being lawful paladins, Azure City always uses the same pass code. The rogues of Greysky have learned it, so they can cure people like Belkar easily. Since those who got caught in Azure City would figure it dangerous to go back, the paladins have not realized anybody knows the pass code.

A bit redundant, but I am reminded of a joke from the Red vs Blue series.

"Oh yeah, if you're realy on our side, tehn what's the password?"

"Ah right, the password its..pasword?"

"Aw dangit he knows the pasword, we gotta stop firing."

"What are you talking about? Everybody knows our password."

"Of course they don't otherwise it wouldn't be a password."

kamuishirou
2008-11-21, 08:17 PM
Ummm....WOW!

I think that's all that's necessary. Well, except for changing my sig to "I'm a sexy-shoeless...god of war....!" That'll be good too :D.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-11-21, 08:18 PM
That. Was. AWESOME!!!

Evaine
2008-11-21, 08:19 PM
Sweet!

I was literally clapping my hands and cheering out loud in sheer delight while reading this! Way to go, Giant!

Demonicbunny
2008-11-21, 08:20 PM
If Belkar _doesn't_ have 'human' as a favoured enemy, then I'm deeply disappointed in him and he has his priorities in life all wrong. Since he's been thinking deeply about his future lately, I hope he takes whatever steps are necessary to correct this if needs be. For instance, by killing quite a lot of humans to get in practice.

Since he's level 13-ish he has 3 favored enemies (lvl1, lvl5 and lvl10). I'm guessing they're Humanoid (halfling), Humanoid (human) and Humanoid (goblinoid)...or as the classlevel&geekery suggested either goblinoid or halfling might be exchanged for Humanoid (reptilian)

Easy Lunch
2008-11-21, 08:21 PM
:cool:Man, awesome strip. I just gave you that epic feeling reading it.

Go Sexy Shoeless God of War!:belkar:

goodyarn
2008-11-21, 08:27 PM
HE IS! HE IS A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!!!!!

Let the slaughter begin!

Dane_Bramage
2008-11-21, 08:30 PM
comic gold!

the belkster is back. let the mayhem begin!

Hamilkar
2008-11-21, 08:36 PM
YES!
Belkar, you are the man!

Hope he doesn't kill the cleric in his bloody frenzy... :smalleek:

Crimson Titan
2008-11-21, 08:37 PM
Just thought of something, if Shojo really is a ghost and not in Belkar's imagination, then his tether to the real world is probably Mr. Scruffy, kinda like Roy's sword.

Rave7215
2008-11-21, 08:38 PM
I Have been a Reader of OotS since it began. Back when it was DnD jokes and dungeon crawling. I have absolutely loved the comics, so much that i have bought the paperbacks and read them annually. I have never posted on the forums because I have never really had the urge.

That Changed today.

Bravo Giant. Bravo. Simply Brilliant, Seriously, Im at a loss for words with how amazing your comic continues to be and to keep me reading. Keep up the good work Giant. Youve got a reader for life, and comics like these are reasons why.

xordiem
2008-11-21, 08:39 PM
hello - long time lurker coming out of the 'guest' cloud to say what an awesome comic this one was!

can't wait to see what happens :smallcool:

Tar Palantir
2008-11-21, 08:40 PM
Belkar returns, at long last. Oh, how I have missed thy wanton carnage, my most maligned halfling friend. Kill on, good sir, kill on.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-11-21, 08:44 PM
...well, it IS Crystal. Would we be surprised if she couldn't count?
...that's probably not what it is, but, you know...it's be fun if that was what it was.

Im pretty sure shes listed as 26 in the books

SSGW Priest
2008-11-21, 08:48 PM
I proclaim the Cult of the SSGW is now open.

elonin
2008-11-21, 08:49 PM
I read through the first comments but not through pages 2-7 and a couple of people asked about the evolve or die as a password on the MOJ. Seems to me that it was in with the theme of charactor development that Belkar just went through.

I'm also guessing that Belkar's death is near at hand.

Great comic Giant!

Vagnarok
2008-11-21, 08:50 PM
The buildup for this comic was amazing (if a tad long)!!! I was completely drawn into this, more than I ever thought I could be for a webcomic. A+.

sentaku
2008-11-21, 09:09 PM
Awsome comic, now I wonder if belkar will have some fake character development in the upcomming confrontation with Haley that's bound to happen.

mikeejimbo
2008-11-21, 09:10 PM
I have never before been so eagerly awaiting the next OOTS.

TheNovak
2008-11-21, 09:32 PM
Oh, this is gonna be epic.

Trizap
2008-11-21, 09:39 PM
look, Haley got an important haircut.

G_a_M_e_S
2008-11-21, 09:40 PM
(Just HAD to register and comment for the first time after seeing #610 ... and I've been reading since #12!)

*Que Warzone by Slayer*

Enter the Sexy Shoeless God of War! and let carnage ensue!I was more thinking "America- **** yeah!". Except substituting every instance of "America" with Belkar.

Am I the only one who thought of the crescendo in Holst's Mars while reading this? Just over half-way through ... play it, you'll know the part I mean. :)

Follow me through my mind ...

"So what are you, Belkar?"

And, like so many of you, I immediately recited to myself, "He is a sexy, shoeless god of war..." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0439.html)

And the phrase "god of war" triggers a memory that wayyyyyyy predates Kratos ...

da-da-da-da, da, dun-dun-dun
da-da-da-da, da, dun-dun-dun ...

"Do you hear the music? Time's almost up, Belkar. Answer the question, what are you?"

And I repeat to myself, "He is a sexy, shoeless god of war!"

And "Do you hear the music" reinforces the melody in the back of my mind ...

dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
dunnn, dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

"Then what are you? ... Still just a label, what else? ... WHAT ELSE?"

"He is a sexy, shoeless GOD OF WAR!"

... now we're to the slow crescendo ...

dunnn, dun-dunnn, dun-dunnn, dun-dunnn, DUN-DUNNN, DUN --

"You know the answer to this, say it! SAY IT!"

Now speaking out loud:

"He is a sexy, shoeless god of war!!!"

DA-DA-DA-DA, DA, DUN-DUN-DUN

"I AM A SEXY --"

"... SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!!!!!!!!!!"

DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
DUNNNNN, DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

:: my cats sprint from the room as I scream at the monitor and yip with delight ::

Yeah. That was frikkin' orgasmic. And in #611, the Reckoning begins.

Squee!!!!!

Warlord JK
2008-11-21, 09:41 PM
Really cranking those comics out lately, and they're still pure gold :smallbiggrin:. Thanks Rich!

texascarl
2008-11-21, 09:44 PM
Epic. Great strip.

I hold more hope now for the wounded Miz Starshine (and expect grand things from that doorway full of moonshine).

It's also nice to see the cleric of Loki knows that there is a time and a place for a cleric to work a spell on the house. First you live thru the battle, THEN you nickle and dime the victors while they go thru the pockets of the slain. Remember kids, Loot and pillage, then we burn.