PDA

View Full Version : a Kobold Concudrum [3.5]

Tehnar
2008-11-21, 07:10 PM
A PC in a game I run, a barbarian died last night. He died defending a druid grove so the now friendly druids offered him a reincarnate on the house. He accepted, but rolled poorly, getting reincarnated into a kobold. Due to a lack of glorious tales of kobold barbarians, the player is not very happy with his characters fate.

How should I manage this situation? Due to quest constraints they have only a week of free time (in game). So elaborate quests involving getting the three stones of whatever to get him restored is not feasible right now. However I don't want the players to feel that getting him restored was easy.

The funny thing is they had a ring of three wishes (with one charge) and they decided to sell it off. Wishes and high level caster are rare in this world and the buyer bought the ring for 40,000 gold, which he paid to them in magic items.

So to let them buy back the ring, or to take them on some quest to get the kobold barbarian restored?

SurlySeraph
2008-11-21, 07:19 PM
Either will work, though quests are always more fun. Perhaps have the merchant they sold the ring to sell it to someone else and require the party to track it down, or require the party to journey to some Grove of the True Form or something to get him restored.

trehek
2008-11-21, 07:46 PM
Whether he knows it or not, that reinc was one of the coolest things ever to happen to his character!! :smallbiggrin: I think that in the long run you'll get tons of fun out of the barbarian being a kobold. If he's worried about his stats, then give them a quest in the form of some obscure clue of a way to restore lost power. The clue will lead them to a magical place which will allow him to gain some power, but whatever you do, leave his appearance as that of a kobold.

You might let him:
*Regain all his old racial stats whilst remaining a kobold on the outside.
OR
*Restore one racial stat of his choice to that of his original self
OR
*Trade off some of his other power for an increase in a power of his choice (cha -> str for example).
OR
*Just give him a cool useful special ability on top of his kobold powers

This might (and probably should) come at some cost or (possibly hidden) drawback.

monty
2008-11-21, 07:46 PM
Kobolds do everything better. Including being barbarians. Off the top of my head, you could give him the Dragonwrought feat, magically age him (there are epic monsters that can do this, I believe) to at least 41, and let him take some epic feats.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-11-21, 07:54 PM
Depends a lot on how much you allow retraining. What's his level? I recently considered Wep Finesse on a Whirling Frenzy Barb/Scout to make a precision-damage based Barb.

Tehnar
2008-11-22, 09:01 PM
He was level 9, now is 8. Im going to play a session to see how it goes. Bit I dont think him being a kobold has much future. Anybody got any good ideas for a quest to restore his true race?

SurlySeraph
2008-11-22, 09:52 PM
Have the druids speak rumors of some other druid grove full of experts on shapeshifting who can change creatures into any form. Have the party journey there. If possible, have whatever the party saved this grove from attack that grove. If not, just have various large obstacles in the path. Get to the grove. Get the Barbarian his form back. Done.

Demons_eye
2008-11-22, 10:00 PM
kill him again and hope he rolls good?

Project_Mayhem
2008-11-22, 10:44 PM
Kobolds do everything better

They lose height contests.

Copacetic
2008-11-22, 11:00 PM

Only at Being Tall.

In all seriousness, Go with the secret grove idea if he isn't willing to become a kobold. Or have him go off an RP type like quest to have him "recover his true self via meditation" AKA stats, while still being a kobold. Many ways to do this.

Kris Strife
2008-11-22, 11:01 PM

but make up for it at limbo.

ChaosDefender24
2008-11-23, 12:24 AM
If you want to stay kobold, Monty had the right idea with the dragonwrought thing, because it can make the kobold much more powerful, although since he's already reincarnated it's established that he's not dragonwrought. With some DM Fiat, you could pull it off, but it would be a little awkward unless you were really smooth about it. I'd personally just tell the player aside from everyone else that he's dragonwrought, make the right adjustments, and just leave it.

I don't get how Monty's coming up with being a better barbarian, though, other than use of the cheesewrought instabold trick... and I have a feeling that breaking the game was not your intent here! I'd at least let him re-configure his levels, going with battle sorcerer or a similar build (depending on the game's power level) so that he can play something remotely similar to his old character.

monty
2008-11-23, 12:52 AM

Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold Psychic Warrior manifesting Expansion. With more power points, they can afford to manifest/augment it more often.