PDA

View Full Version : Conerting monster class to PC (d&d 3.5rd and 4th ed)

Laharal
2008-11-21, 08:17 PM
Hello guys,

I know that in the 3.5 manual some monsters have a paragraph or two telling how to convert them as PC (ex orgres or orcs). The last section of the 4th MM offers such modifications for some classes.
My question is: is there a rule/formula somewhere to convert other monsters (either 3.5 or 4th)to PC?
Does D and D think to release new PC updates for monsters? (like for the ogres who can be switched to PC in the 3.5 ed)

Many thanks

RTGoodman
2008-11-21, 09:44 PM
It depends on the edition. As far as I know, in 4E there isn't any sort of written way to do it besides just trial and error homebrewing, or waiting on WotC (or other 3rd-party publishers) to release the PC versions of different monstrous races in magazines, books, or whatever.

In 3.x it's slightly easier. First of all, take a look at the stat block for the monster. Find the part that says Level Adjustment. If there's anything there besides a long dash (even if it says +0, +5, or +13), then you can probably as one of those monsters. Basically, you take the Level Adjustment (LA) and add that the the racial hit dice (which is at the top of each stat block), and those determine the starting ECL of a monster. Basically, that's what level you have to be to play one. A Bugbear, for instance, has 3 racial hit dice (see the top where it says "Hit Dice: 3d8+3"?) and a +1 LA, meaning a Bugbear is, at minimum, a 4th level character, and becomes 5th level character when he takes his first level in a PC class.

Now, if you don't get anything telling you how to figure out PC stats of your monstrous race, you just have to use the stats in the stat block to find out. The Bugbear, for instance, has Str 15, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 9. From even scores, you subtract 10; from odd scores, you subtract 11. That gives you your racial ability modifiers. A Bugbear, thus, gets +4 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Cha as a PC, along with his racial abilities and traits. After that, you should have most everything you need to make your monstrous PC.

You can find more detailed info HERE (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monstersAsRaces.htm) in the SRD (I think it's either in the MM or DMG for the printed books), and I think the 3.x Savage Species sourcebook has more info you'd find of interest. Also, WotC has a series of articles on its website that change some monstrous races into "Classes" for you; the series is called "Savage Progression," and you can find them all HERE (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp).

Laharal
2008-11-21, 10:56 PM
Many thanks, great help from somebody who knows what he is talking about :smallsmile: