PDA

View Full Version : Large single celled organism found rolling on sea floor

Red Sock
2008-11-21, 08:42 PM
Link to article (http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/11/20/gromia-cambrian.html)

Wow, this is really cool. It makes me wonder what kind of other stuff is lying around on the ocean floor that we don't know of.

averagejoe
2008-11-21, 08:46 PM
*mind is blown*

That is SO COOL! Both in the implications to modern scientific thinking and in the fact that there are big grape-sized things rolling around on the ocean floor right now. :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2008-11-21, 08:46 PM
That is incredible!

Felixaar
2008-11-21, 08:50 PM
Oooh, neat!

...I wish I had something more intelligent to say...

Red Sock
2008-11-21, 08:55 PM
I'm starting to wonder....do they taste good?

AmberVael
2008-11-21, 08:55 PM
That's crazy...
...I can't even picture how that kind of organism would work.
On the other hand, I know nearly nothing about biology.

Jack Squat
2008-11-21, 08:58 PM
That's crazy...
...I can't even picture how that kind of organism would work.
On the other hand, I know nearly nothing about biology.

Well, it's probably a filter feeder (lives of nutrients floating through the water), and has the basic layout of the aomeba, it's cousin.

As far as moving, I'm picturing something like a hamster in a ball.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3228/2616053993_6047e20894.jpg

AtomicKitKat
2008-11-21, 09:05 PM
That's awesome! I suppose that's about as big as you can go before osmosis or whatever the oxygen equivalent is won't be enough to keep you alive. It's still early on my birthday, cut me some slack!

Syka
2008-11-21, 09:06 PM
I love how they're like, "Yeah, it was leaving a trail...which is shouldn't be doing...Must rethink our entire concept of the earliest fossils now, kthxbai."

That's pretty sweet, though.

Cheers,
Syka

Icewalker
2008-11-21, 09:07 PM
...awesome. Go deep sea exploration.

averagejoe
2008-11-21, 09:12 PM
As far as moving, I'm picturing something like a hamster in a ball.

That thought makes this even more awesome!

thubby
2008-11-21, 09:20 PM
a 3cm wide single cell 0,o

Player_Zero
2008-11-21, 09:27 PM
As far as I'm aware there are literally innumerable species of various shapes and forms under da sea.

A large single-celled lifeform? Hmm... What seems to be amazing though is that a relatively simple lifeform could be so large, but I'm betting that it's mostly only single-cellular by name. Rather that it is a fairly complex lifeform. Pure speculation, naturally.

Also, this is far too srs, I shall end on a joke:

Two fish were in a tank. One said to the other, "Do you know how to drive this thing?"

And:

Two fish were sitting on a perch. One said to the other, "Do you smell fish?"

Pyrian
2008-11-21, 09:27 PM
I've read several articles and I'm still not clear on whether the individual "balls" are actually single-cells or merely colonies of a single-celled animal. I'm guessing it's actually the latter.

averagejoe
2008-11-21, 09:28 PM
Also, this is far too srs, I shall end on a joke:

Two fish were in a tank. One said to the other, "Do you know how to drive this thing?"

And:

Two fish were sitting on a perch. One said to the other, "Do you smell fish?"

You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish. :smalltongue:

Gray Jester
2008-11-21, 09:53 PM
Okay, that is getting added to my -really freaking awesome things- list. Probably somewhere under 'myself', 'public-private key encryption', and 'female humans'.

AmberVael
2008-11-21, 10:54 PM
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish. :smalltongue:

At first I was like "huh?" and then I was like "...wait..."
And then there was face palm.
Take 5d6 pun damage.

Winter_Wolf
2008-11-21, 10:58 PM
So, when they say leave a trail, is it supposed to be like a trail of slime, or a physical displacement due to the mass of the thing?

Also, ewww! For me, a lot less cool than freaky, disturbing, and probably going to give me nightmares. Slimes, oozes, and amoeboid things just make my skin crawl.

Moff Chumley
2008-11-21, 11:12 PM
...but it's still awesome, right?

Manoftyr
2008-11-21, 11:14 PM
Wow, fascinating.

The ocean floors mesmerize me, we know less about the deepest most pressure-intensive sections of our oceans than we do about our own solar system...makes me wonder what other fascinating or bizarre creatures might be lurking down there that we are unaware of.

de-trick
2008-11-21, 11:16 PM
wait, how? I'm confused, imagine the insides of the cell, I still cant figure how that would work, rules of science have been broken, destroy all textbooks, and books, and start again

averagejoe
2008-11-21, 11:25 PM
Take 5d6 pun damage.

averagejoe takes 19 pun damage.

averagejoe has lost consciousness.

Trizap
2008-11-21, 11:26 PM
revolutionary! once we get one to study up close, we might be able to discover
a lot of things about evolution and biology and such.......

revolutionary, bordering on sci-fi.......

ghost_warlock
2008-11-21, 11:33 PM
wait, how? I'm confused, imagine the insides of the cell, I still cant figure how that would work, rules of science have been broken, destroy all textbooks, and books, and start again

The laws of science nature cannot be broken, they can only be rewritten! :smallbiggrin:

I love these widdle things!

*wonders if G. sphaerica form conga lines at their parties.*

*considers if it'd be possible to get some as pets if he had a pressurized tank*

-or-

I, for one, welcome our grape-sized, single-celled overlords.

Rebonack
2008-11-22, 12:12 AM
There's actually a giant single celled algae species that lives in Caribbean. At least I think it was the Caribbean. Read about them quite a while ago. They're about the same size. Rather nifty. They have a neat coagulating mechanism to keep their cell-guts from running out if anything harasses them.

<_<

Local kids like to use them in algae ball fights.

Splat!

ForzaFiori
2008-11-22, 12:25 AM
As far as I'm aware there are literally innumerable species of various shapes and forms under da sea.

A large single-celled lifeform? Hmm... What seems to be amazing though is that a relatively simple lifeform could be so large, but I'm betting that it's mostly only single-cellular by name. Rather that it is a fairly complex lifeform. Pure speculation, naturally.

Most likely it is like the giant Amoeba, which is a single cell (in that it has all its mass inside a single cell membrane) but has up to 1000 nuclei inside of it, rather than only 1 like most cells. This allows it to control a body about the same size as these creatures.

AslanCross
2008-11-22, 12:48 AM
The laws of science nature cannot be broken, they can only be rewritten! :smallbiggrin:

*considers if it'd be possible to get some as pets if he had a pressurized tank*

Seconded.

Quick, somebody stat it!

This is particularly awesome. I can't really wrap my brain around how a cell could grow that large, but again this is awesome.

Alleine
2008-11-22, 02:15 AM
It makes me.... hungry.

I have to admit my first thought was "Hey, cool!"
My second thought was "Hmm, I wonder what it tastes like..."
We must find out, for science!

KerfuffleMach2
2008-11-22, 02:23 AM
That's awesome.

Makes you wonder if there were larger single-celled organisms at one point in time.

RS14
2008-11-22, 02:58 AM
Quick, somebody stat it!

Gromia sphaerica
Fine Aberration (Aquatic)
HD 1/4d8 (1hp)
Speed 5 ft. (1 squares)
Init: -5
AC 13 (10+8 size - 5 dex); touch 13; flat-footed 13
BAB +0; Grp -21
Attack ---
Full-Attack ---
Space 0 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks None
Special Qualities Single Actions Only, Blind, Mindless, Immunities.
Saves Fort +0 Ref -5 Will -5
Abilities Str 1, Dex 1, Con 10, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1
Environment Temperate Oceans
Organization None
Challenge Rating 1/40
Treasure None
Alignment Always Neutral
Advancement 1HD (Diminutive)
Level Adjustment ---

A gromia sphaerica does not have a swim speed. This is an exception to the "Aquatic" subtype.

Single Actions Only(Ex):
A gromia sphaerica may only perform a single move action per turn.

Immunities: (Ex)
A gromia sphaerica is immune to sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning. It is not subject to critical hits or flanking.

Combat

Gromia sphaerica do not fight.

turkishproverb
2008-11-22, 03:09 AM
That's awesome.

Makes you wonder if there were larger single-celled organisms at one point in time.

*imagines bowling ball sized single celled organisms*

Wow

*Imagined organisms shift and start moving around*

..what?

*Imagined organisms start moving towards him*

what?

*Imagined organisms start chasing him*

What?

*Imagined organisms get closer, he takes a step back*

What?!?

*Imagined organisms are gaining on him*

Run!!

Lemur
2008-11-22, 03:14 AM
Gromia sphaerica
Fine Aberration (Aquatic)
HD 1/4d8 (1hp)
Speed 5 ft. (1 squares)
AC 9 (10+4 size - 5 dex); touch 9; flat-footed 9
BAB +4; Grp -21
Attack ---
Full-Attack ---
Space 0 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks None
Special Qualities Single Actions Only, Blind, Mindless, Immunities.
Saves Fort +0 Ref -5 Will -5
Abilities Str 1, Dex 1, Con 10, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1
Environment Temperate Oceans
Organization None
Challenge Rating 1/40
Treasure None
Alignment Always Neutral
Advancement 1HD (Diminutive)
Level Adjustment ---

A gromia sphaerica does not have a swim speed. This is an exception to the "Aquatic" subtype.

Single Actions Only(Ex):
A gromia sphaerica may only perform a single move action per turn.

A gromia sphaerica is immune to sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning. It is not subject to critical hits or flanking.

Combat

Gromia sphaerica do not fight.

All it needs now is a couple of templates, and it'll be in business.

turkishproverb
2008-11-22, 03:18 AM
You know, those things could actually be dangerous.

Pyrian
2008-11-22, 03:20 AM
...How? :smallannoyed:

turkishproverb
2008-11-22, 03:21 AM

Swarming. Imagine a billion billion of them attacking you.

Plus, they can force you to imagine bigger ones^

Lemur
2008-11-22, 03:25 AM

I was thinking something along the lines of paragon half-dragon, with maybe a bit of pseudonatural for good measure.

thubby
2008-11-22, 03:31 AM
just needs swarm template, a nausea effect (being in a pile of those things would be pretty disgusting), and to be a 1/2 demon.

charl
2008-11-22, 03:37 AM
Maybe there could be an underdark variant. Or one that has been genetically modified by "squid things" to explode into clouds of poison gas when they come into contact with adventurers. Poison gas that causes temporary paralysis, so the "squid things" get dinner that won't fight back.

You know, done right, these things could be quite scary and dangerous.

How about elemental variants? Tiny balls of fire, so to speak.

RS14
2008-11-22, 05:01 AM
You know, those things could actually be dangerous.

You know, done right, these things could be quite scary and dangerous.

::facepalm::

That Damn Grape

This fanatical assassin disguises itself as a grape and infiltrates the kitchen of its mark. It then inserts itself into some dish and waits until it is served and eaten. While in the throat of the mark, it sneak attacks with its dagger. If unable to kill the mark in this manner, its poison may yet prove lethal.

Advanced Fiendish Gromia Sphaerica Rogue 4/Assassin 1
Diminutive Aberration (Aquatic)
HD 1d8+5d6 (22hp)
Speed 5 ft. (1 squares)
AC 9 (10+4 size - 5 dex); touch 9; flat-footed 9
BAB +4; Grp -13
Attack Dagger +3 melee (1)
Full-Attack Dagger +3 melee (1)
Space 0 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks Smite Good 1/day (+6), Sneak Attack 3d6, Death Attack, Poison
Special Qualities Single Actions Only, Darkvision 60', Immunities, Trap-Sense+1, DR5/Magic, Resist Fire 5, Resist Cold 5, SR11, Evasion, Poison Use, Uncanny Dodge
Saves Fort +2 Ref +0 Will -1
Skills: Move Silent +4, Hide +4, Disguise +5
Feats: Skill Focus: Disguise, Endurance, Diehard
Abilities Str 1, Dex 1, Con 10, Int 4, Wis 1, Cha 1
Environment Any evil aligned plane
Organization None
Challenge Rating 5
Treasure None
Alignment Always Evil (Any)

Single Actions Only(Ex):
A gromia sphaerica may only perform a single move or attack action per turn.

Poison:
This gromia sphaerica has coated itself in Dark Reaver powder, which it is immune to. Any creature eating it ingests this dose: DC18, 2d6 con, 1d6 con+1d6 str.

Death Attack:
DC8 Fortitude

SoD
2008-11-22, 05:26 AM
Take 5d6 pun damage.

What did the fish say when it ran into an underwater wall? 'Damn'.

Eldan
2008-11-22, 06:04 AM
A little reading up on Gromia (not that specific one, couldn't find anything), revealed this:

-They indeed aren't colonies, even if the picture in that article looks like one

-Egg shaped, or in lobes

-Array of Pseudopods at one end

-Several nuclei

-The article I read wasn't that clear on it, but from the wording, I suspect the thing that is "several milimeters to three centimeters" in diameter is actually just the Theka.

Adumbration
2008-11-22, 06:28 AM
A little reading up on Gromia (not that specific one, couldn't find anything), revealed this:

-They indeed aren't colonies, even if the picture in that article looks like one

-Egg shaped, or in lobes

-Array of Pseudopods at one end

-Several nuclei

-The article I read wasn't that clear on it, but from the wording, I suspect the thing that is "several milimeters to three centimeters" in diameter is actually just the Theka.

Ah-HA! So it does have attacks. How many?

Coidzor
2008-11-22, 06:29 AM
Ah-HA! So it does have attacks. How many?

I've always been fond of 7 myself...

Elm11
2008-11-22, 07:19 AM
I'm just imagining the BBEG sending forth his vile army of rolling, grape sized single celled organisms. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2008-11-22, 07:43 AM
Given that they are closely related to Amoeba, shouldn't they have the Ooze type?

hamishspence
2008-11-22, 07:49 AM
I liked the little aquatic blood-drinking oozes in fiend folio- were very small, but dangerous. Might fit for this.

Fostire
2008-11-22, 07:55 AM

Did you know that eggs are actually one cell? they aren't a single-cell organism but they are a single cell. And ostrich eggs are larger than 3cm wide.

Serpentine
2008-11-22, 09:29 AM
a 3cm wide single cell 0,oYou know, technically eggs are single cells, which means the largest cell in the world is 15x13cm.

Okay, ^ said it too, but I said it better :smalltongue:

Also: Sooooo coooool! :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2008-11-22, 09:42 AM
Uh, guys...this thing lives underwater, where it survives colossal pressure. It needs some DR/Slashing or Piercing in there, Bludgeoning isn't going to be able to handle that sucker as well.

hamishspence
2008-11-22, 10:02 AM
Creature who live Down Deep aren't especially tough- they have internal fluids at same pressure as external fluid, thats all.

Flickerdart
2008-11-22, 10:23 AM
Creature who live Down Deep aren't especially tough- they have internal fluids at same pressure as external fluid, thats all.
That's no fun.

Since it eats like any other cell (selectively permeable membrane) we could give it an ability like the Gelatinous Cube's. Let it Engulf Diminutive or smaller creatures!

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-11-22, 11:18 AM
Wow, did I read the title of this thread wrong! My first thought was, "A large single celled WHAT was found rolling on the sea floor?!? I thought we couldn't discuss that kind of stuff on the forums.

Then I opened the thread and started reading. :smallredface:

Captain Dyslexia strikes again! :smalltongue:

Red Sock
2008-11-22, 11:24 AM
Wow, did I read the title of this thread wrong! My first thought was, "A large single celled WHAT was found rolling on the sea floor?!? I thought we couldn't discuss that kind of stuff on the forums.

Captain Dislexia is a cruel villain that strikes when least expected.

Allysian
2008-11-22, 11:26 AM
Heheheh! Das funny! :smallbiggrin: That green circly thingy is the organism right? I guess it's cool, but i'm to immature to really appreciate it. :smalltongue:

TheThan
2008-11-22, 12:27 PM
I was expecting a gelatinous cube type creature. I’m disappointed, though quite entertained.

Pandaren
2008-11-22, 12:33 PM
No rules of science have nessecarily been broken, it's just extremely inneficient for a cell to get to a certain size.

Mad Mask
2008-11-22, 12:34 PM
A exciting discovery ! If only I could have one for study in my biology class...

Red Sock
2008-11-22, 12:40 PM
No rules of science have nessecarily been broken, it's just extremely inneficient for a cell to get to a certain size.

That's probably why we don't see many of these things.

Rumda
2008-11-22, 12:40 PM
I can tell you that there are bigger single celled organisms that are still extant, the plasmodial stage of many types of slime molds can grow to be measured in meters, thankfully there not as aggressive as oozes in D&D.

charl
2008-11-22, 12:42 PM
I can tell you that there are bigger single celled organisms that are still extant, the plasmodial stage of many types of slime molds can grow to be measured in meters, thankfully there not as aggressive as oozes in D&D.

Someone needs to stat out the plasmodial stage of slime molds.

Linkavitch
2008-11-22, 01:23 PM

Ha. That's nothing compared to the one Captain Kirk and the Enterprise defeated back in TOS.

(and don't you DARE tell me Star Trek isn't real!:smile:)

SurlySeraph
2008-11-22, 02:44 PM
>.>
<.<

They're cute. I want one.

::facepalm::

That Damn Grape
*completely awesome stats clipped*

Where would you like your shipment of Win and Internets to be delivered?

RandomNPC
2008-11-22, 09:13 PM
i wish to hear more about these monsterous variants, do they come in lemon flavor?

hehe, assassin ooze lemon disguised as a slushie.....

rayne_dragon
2008-11-22, 10:13 PM
Well, now I can point this out to any players who groan at being attacked by a giant single-celled organism and tell them to shut up and fight the damn thing already. :smallbiggrin:

Scientifically this is also really awesome.

RS14
2008-11-22, 10:24 PM
Where would you like your shipment of Win and Internets to be delivered?

The sea-floor off the coast of the Bahamas. :smallamused:

Given that they are closely related to Amoeba, shouldn't they have the Ooze type?

I considered that, but I tend to see the inside of an ooze as just like the outside, whereas this is a cell membrane containing cytoplasm. This can be ruptured, but an ooze has nothing to rupture.

Em Blackleaf
2008-11-22, 10:48 PM
I imagined a giant amoeba, like, the size of a dinner plate, rolling along the sea floor.

I'm already starting to want to learn more!

Does it have flagella, organelles? It is eukaryotic or prokaryotic? I wanna seeee one.

I also only read part of the article. *goes back to read more*

Also, this is incredibly awesome. Quite possibly the best thing ever. :smalltongue:

Lilly
2008-11-22, 11:16 PM

I had to keep repeating "Organism has an N" all throughout AP Bio. :smallredface:

This is pretty awesome. I at first thought it was more awesome than it was, but then I found out it was an eukaryote rather than a prokaryote. Still awesome, but not mind bendingly so.

Eldan
2008-11-23, 06:15 AM
I imagined a giant amoeba, like, the size of a dinner plate, rolling along the sea floor.

Does it have flagella, organelles? It is eukaryotic or prokaryotic? I wanna seeee one.

I also only read part of the article. *goes back to read more*

Also, this is incredibly awesome. Quite possibly the best thing ever. :smalltongue:

Well, from what I could find:

They are Rhizaria, a taxonomic group including most of the amoeba (which aren't actually a taxon).
It is eukaryotic, with multiple nuclei. (Some suggest it's actually only one, but it hasn't been proven)
They have pseudopods, but their plasma is different from that of Amoeba, and they do not form nets, like the amoeba do.
What can be seen in the picture in the article is the outer "shell", made from proteins, containing numerous small holes. It seems that they are actually hollow in the middle, with a layer of plasma inside the shell.
Most likely they do not actively move, but dissolve the top layer of the soil in front of them, absorb it and then roll into that open space.

Not much material out there about them, I'm affraid.

Helanna
2008-11-23, 10:34 AM

Um . . . *strains to remember back to 7th grade biology* *fails*

It bothers me that I wasted an entire year doing something I can't remember.

But this is a pretty awesome discovery . . . I want to see one too!

Red Sock
2008-11-23, 10:35 AM

There's a picture in the article...

Flickerdart
2008-11-23, 10:45 AM
I wonder what they taste like. They're conveniently bite-sized, too.

Red Sock
2008-11-23, 10:58 AM
I wonder what they taste like. They're conveniently bite-sized, too.

Like chicken obviously.

banjo1985
2008-11-23, 11:09 AM
Seriously freaky...I love it!
The most amazing creatures on the planet are on the deep sea floor, and this is just another weird one to add to the list.

Em Blackleaf
2008-11-23, 01:25 PM
Not much material out there about them, I'm affraid.
Hey, that's more than I knew before. :smalltongue:

Well, I'm in Adv. Biology right now, and we've just gone over cells. So, that's how I even remember what those words mean. :smalltongue:

There's a picture in the article...
I meant that I wanted to see one in real life. Like, in an aquarium or something.

Rumda
2008-11-23, 04:51 PM
Well, I'm in Adv. Biology right now, and we've just gone over cells. So, that's how I even remember what those words mean. :smalltongue:

ahh the days when biology was simple and easily understood how I miss them at times...

Red Sock
2008-11-24, 09:59 PM
ahh the days when biology was simple and easily understood how I miss them at times...

Seventh grade sure was nice.

Helanna
2008-11-24, 10:08 PM
I meant that I wanted to see one in real life. Like, in an aquarium or something.

Same here. I want to hold one! I wonder what they feel like.

Well, I'm in Adv. Biology right now, and we've just gone over cells. So, that's how I even remember what those words mean.

My best friend is in an advance biology class. We call it his 'second study hall'. Apparently they haven't actually done anything all year. Just today he left some deliberate errors in his lab report just to see if the teacher actually looked at them at all. :smalltongue:

Not for me. :smallmad: That's when my parents broke up and I moved to a really crappy school system. I'm back in my old one now though, it's nice. :smallbiggrin: But pretty much anything before high school seemed like such a waste of time. They weren't teaching me anything I couldn't have learned on the internet eight times as fast by myself. Then I got bored, stopped doing homework, and got bad grades. :smalleek: Oops.

Recaiden
2008-11-24, 10:10 PM

No it wasn't. But then, we didn't study biology then.

Also, these things are pretty awesome. I wonder what else is down there?

Athaniar
2008-11-25, 07:10 AM
I bet this thing is related to Cthulhu in some way or another.

...What?

charl
2008-11-25, 09:58 AM
I bet this thing is related to Cthulhu in some way or another.

...What?

No no no. It's obviously a minion of Dagon. He is the king of the depths after all.

DigoDragon
2008-11-25, 10:24 AM
and don't you DARE tell me Star Trek isn't real!:smile:

I did see a prototype 'tricorder' a few years back at Epcot. You can hold it up against a jar of liquid and it would tell you what the liquid was composed of. :smallsmile:

As for the single cell critter, that is indeed pretty neat! I wonder if there will be an exibit at Sea World for it in the future?

Thiel
2008-11-25, 10:39 AM
Quick, somebody douse it with dandruff shampoo and whatever you do, don't let it get near fire.

Red Sock
2008-11-25, 02:52 PM
I did see a prototype 'tricorder' a few years back at Epcot. You can hold it up against a jar of liquid and it would tell you what the liquid was composed of. :smallsmile:

As for the single cell critter, that is indeed pretty neat! I wonder if there will be an exibit at Sea World for it in the future?

I think they're a bit too rare to be in exhibits. For all we know that group of them they found were the last ones on earth.

RS14
2008-11-25, 05:28 PM
I think they're a bit too rare to be in exhibits. For all we know that group of them they found were the last ones on earth.

Could be, but probably not. They've been seen in both the Mediterranean and off the Bahamas. That's a respectable range right there. Quite a few creatures, particularly small, oddball creatures such as this, go unnoticed.

hamishspence
2008-11-25, 05:29 PM
oddball seems the right phrase- well, its a ball, and its odd :smallbiggrin:

Athaniar
2008-11-26, 03:02 AM
No no no. It's obviously a minion of Dagon. He is the king of the depths after all.

It won't be long before the deep ones come for those poor scientists...

Vagnarok
2008-11-26, 11:30 AM

7th grade blew chunks. I didn't study biology until 10th grade, but man did I LOVE punnett squares! lol sometimes I do one for fun.

In other news: I just showed one of my friends and he thinks it's a hoax. I'm pretty sure it's real though.

Red Sock
2008-11-26, 08:50 PM
7th grade blew chunks. I didn't study biology until 10th grade, but man did I LOVE punnett squares! lol sometimes I do one for fun.

In other news: I just showed one of my friends and he thinks it's a hoax. I'm pretty sure it's real though.

Considering the fact that this is on the Discovery Channels website (they have some credibility), it seems pretty real.

Collin152
2008-11-26, 09:05 PM

Seems like a pretty lame idea for a hoax.
I mean, most people wouldn't even go "meh" at it! That's hardley hoaxworthy material to be a'hortensnanglin'!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-11-26, 10:42 PM
I love how they're like, "Yeah, it was leaving a trail...which is shouldn't be doing...Must rethink our entire concept of the earliest fossils now, kthxbai."

That's pretty sweet, though.

Cheers,
Syka

Yeah, I told my friend this quote, and he said.

Science 0, Cells 1.

StickMan
2008-11-26, 10:52 PM
Crazy big, I love giant single cells. They go good with bacon.

Vagnarok
2008-11-27, 01:25 PM
Considering the fact that this is on the Discovery Channels website (they have some credibility), it seems pretty real.

Seems like a pretty lame idea for a hoax.
I mean, most people wouldn't even go "meh" at it! That's hardley hoaxworthy material to be a'hortensnanglin'!

Yeah, I agree that it's real. I don't see that they would really gain anything by introducing this lifeform, maybe about 20 bucks worth of publicity lol