PDA

View Full Version : Alignment-Macbeth

Draco Dracul
2008-11-21, 10:40 PM
What alignments do you think
Macbeth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macbeth_(character))
Macbeth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macbeth_of_Scotland)
and
Macbeth (http://gargoyles.dracandros.com/Macbeth)
are?

hamishspence
2008-11-22, 06:14 AM
Macbeth of the play- whatever his starting alignment was- final one was likely Lawful Evil- The Tyrant. Depends how keen on suppressing rebellions he was.

Macbeth of history- very tricky, discussing historical characters. Remember the real Duncan died in battle, and was rather younger than Macbeth. He was secure enough on his throne to make pilgrimages to Rome, and his stepson Lulach was able to ascend the throne after hid death (Lulach didn't last long though) I'd go out on a limb and suggest LN.

I don't know anything about the third one.

jcsw
2008-11-22, 06:58 AM
Making a deal with the devil for the throne tends to be lawful evil...

(Referring to the Shakespearean Macbeth here.)

hamishspence
2008-11-22, 07:01 AM
deal with his agents anyway. Or rather Her agents- the Witches are devotees of Hecate.

Hecate comes and bawls them out for offering Macbeth the prophesy in the first place- its not so much a deal, as Telling him interesting things and letting his ambition do the rest.

hamishspence
2008-11-22, 07:53 AM
As a world with Witches, a goddess, familiar spirits, a ghost, prophesies, etc, Macbeth is the most supernatural-heavy Shakespeare play, and thus not quite so inappropiate for Alignment discussions as some other fiction.

Mewtarthio
2008-11-22, 10:59 AM
Making a deal with the devil for the throne tends to be lawful evil...

Macbeth never made a deal with the devil. The Wyrd Sisters just approached him and prophecied that he would one day rule Scotland. His wife had him assassinate Duncan because she figured that, since it was already prophecied, they would inevitably succeed.

He's clearly Evil, but the ethical axis is a bit trickier. He's very reluctant to kill Duncan for a number of reasons; aside from the whole "murder" problem, he also feels guilty about violating hospitality and betraying his leige, both things that suggest Lawful leanings. Additionally, he's very concerned about ensuring that his progeny inherit the throne; such concern for future generations could also be considered Lawful. Lastly, in his speech to the doctor, Macbeth shows himself upset about the poor state of his country. I'd go with LE.

As a world with Witches, a goddess, familiar spirits, a ghost, prophesies, etc, Macbeth is the most supernatural-heavy Shakespeare play, and thus not quite so inappropiate for Alignment discussions as some other fiction.

Macbeth is nowhere near the most supernatural-heavy of Shakespeare's plays. That title would probably go to The Tempest or A Midsummer Night's Dream. You could cut all the supernatural stuff out of Macbeth and still have a coherent, albeit less interesting, play.

hamishspence
2008-11-22, 12:32 PM
haven't read Tempest, Midsummer Nights dream does have more than a few spells though. I was thinking more that you could transplant the plotline of Macbeth into D&D and it might not be too out of place.

Though you're right, i did overestimate the magic content.

RebelRogue
2008-11-22, 12:40 PM
haven't read Tempest, Midsummer Nights dream does have more than a few spells though. I was thinking more that you could transplant the plotline of Macbeth into D&D and it might not be too out of place.

Though you're right, i did overestimate the magic content.
I've never read much Shakespeare, but I do remember an adventure in Dungeon Magazine based on The Tempest.

Starbuck_II
2008-11-22, 12:57 PM
I've never read much Shakespeare, but I do remember an adventure in Dungeon Magazine based on The Tempest.

Never read Shakespeare?!
The Tempest is a Druid (elemental caster) and his Planar Binding of a creature/woman. There are some shipwrecked people to bring conflict, but that is basics.

I say for MacBeth
1) LE
2) NE
3) NE and slowly becomes LN in Gargolyes

hamishspence
2008-11-22, 01:02 PM
Main reason I put the historical guy in the Neutral range was- he had a claim, of sorts, he took his enemy on in battle, not stabbing him while he was a guest, he was secure enough to go on pilgrimage (and was very charitable when doing so) and was holding throne for his stepson (I don't think he had children)

while he might have done other things, history does not speak of them. "Macbeth the renowned" was what he was referred to as. So, considering the period, he'd have to be a bit more ruthless for me to place him with Evil without more evidence.

Draco Dracul
2008-11-22, 01:10 PM
Never read Shakespeare?!
The Tempest is a Druid (elemental caster) and his Planar Binding of a creature/woman. There are some shipwrecked people to bring conflict, but that is basics.

I say for MacBeth
1) LE
2) NE
3) NE and slowly becomes LN in Gargolyes

I would say that the Historical Macbeth would be at least Nuetral rather than Evil as he gained the thrown in a battle in which he was not the agressor (Duncan attacked his land, Morey) and was noted as "giving money to the poor as if it were seed."

I would put Gargoyles Macbeth as LN slowly becoming LG myself.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-22, 01:52 PM
Why do I get the feeling horrible ruin will befall the forum now? I mean, it's not like it's a theater...

Starbuck_II
2008-11-22, 01:55 PM
Why do I get the feeling horrible ruin will befall the forum now? I mean, it's not like it's a theater...

It's not like I told you "Good luck Nerd-o-rama", what could cause this bad fortune?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-22, 02:01 PM
Fun activity:

Go to a theater while people are rehearsing.
Shout "Macbeth!"
Run like hell from angry actors brandishing prop swords.

Macbeth is a cursed play. You're not supposed to mention it by name, at least not in a theater.

hamishspence
2008-11-22, 02:03 PM
this might be slightly exaggerated, but the "don't mention name of the scottish play" trope appears in TV sometimes (Blackadder III does it)

Starbuck_II
2008-11-22, 03:55 PM
this might be slightly exaggerated, but the "don't mention name of the scottish play" trope appears in TV sometimes (Blackadder III does it)

It is in the game Buldar's Gate 2 as well.

BRC
2008-11-22, 05:23 PM
Don't try to give Macbeth one alignment. He is the Tragic Hero, that means he falls. Which means his Alignment likely changes over the course of the play. He probably starts out LG or LN, and becomes LE or NE.

FMArthur
2008-11-22, 09:57 PM
Now trying assigning Hamlet an alignment. Chaotic-something. :smallconfused:

Collin152
2008-11-22, 10:06 PM
Should probably rename this thread "Don't open this thread from inside a theatre"

hamishspence
2008-11-23, 05:55 AM
which is still giving him alignment, except, its giving him 2 alignments instead of one.

I'd say LN at start, LE at finish.