PDA

View Full Version : Xykon and Richard

DragoonKain
2008-11-22, 12:09 AM
Funnier undead mage?

Who'd win in a fight?

How much would they get along?

I've been wondering these things for a while..

Scion_of_Darkness
2008-11-22, 12:21 AM
I think they would rather spend their time abusing underlings and friends rather than fighting each other. But Xykon would win in a fight. Richard is more brutal but Xykon is more powerful.

Corwin Weber
2008-11-22, 12:44 AM
Humor-wise I'd have to say Xykon. (Although Richard does have his moments.)

In a fight? I'd have to give the edge to Richard. Unlike Xykon he's so old he's actually forgotten the bulk of his mortal life. With liches, age matters.

....and Xykon can't foom.

Charninja
2008-11-22, 12:54 AM
I've long held the thought that some sort of cross-over could lead to some epic-level awesomeness, and this very question is something I've often wondered.

I do think that, while Richard is more brutal and has more powerful spells, Xykon possesses a better selection to choose from, and is a slightly better planner (or is at least smarter than he acts). A lot of it would come down to raw stats, and that I just cannot even hazard a guess towards. It's the Specialization vs. Generalization debate all over again.

Warlord JK
2008-11-22, 12:54 AM
Xykon. I just gotta love my D&D more than my WoW.

Zevox
2008-11-22, 01:12 AM
Funnier undead mage?
A bit of a tough call - Richard is basically the entire reason I read Looking for Group (in spite of my respect for the comic's creators from their other comic, LfG really doesn't grab me much as far as its story goes, and Richard is the only really enjoyable character of the bunch), but Xykon is awesome enough to stand out above most of the rest of this comic in spite of some really stiff competition. Overall, I guess I have to go with Xykon though. If only for the bouncy ball of doom. That was more epic and hilarious than anything Richard has ever done.

Who'd win in a fight?
I'm going with Xykon. His Meteor Swarm alone beats Richard's powers, unless Richard has been seriously holding back thus far.

Depends on whether Xykon vaporizes Richard before he gets to know him. Assuming that doesn't happen, probably pretty well. Unless Xykon tries to make Richard into his underling, in which case we wind up back at Xykon vaporizing Richard.

...although I actually think that, if a crossover were to take place, Tsukiko would end up far closer to Richard than Xykon. Call it a hunch :smallwink: .

Zevox

The Minx
2008-11-22, 03:25 AM
Funnier undead mage?

Who'd win in a fight?

I've been wondering these things for a while..

Xykon is funnier. Just my preference: explaining humor is not something that's easy to do.

Xykon would win in a fight, being Epic level. Richard is powerful, but not that powerful (although I admit not having read the latest installments of LFG, he may have leveled since I saw him last time).

They would "get along" only if it served their immediate interests, since when it comes to megalomanic evil supervillains, there can be only one. :smallsmile:

Ancalagon
2008-11-22, 04:15 AM
Who'd win in a fight?

Have you read Start of Darkness? Two words: Energy Drain. Xykon wins.

Revlid
2008-11-22, 05:50 AM
Xykon is both more powerful and more amusing - he doesn't have to rely on slapstick.

Richard was funny, but he's aging quickly, and the relatively poor quality of the rest of the comic's writing doesn't help. He's essentially a less-amusing, less-developed* Black Mage with a less-amusing and less-developed supporting cast.

*and for a literally 2D character, that's saying something.

Kurald Galain
2008-11-22, 06:35 AM
Xykon is both more powerful and more amusing - he doesn't have to rely on slapstick.

Richard was funny, but he's aging quickly, and the relatively poor quality of the rest of the comic's writing doesn't help. He's essentially a less-amusing, less-developed* Black Mage with a less-amusing and less-developed supporting cast.

*and for a literally 2D character, that's saying something.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Gamerlord
2008-11-22, 07:09 AM
Richard pwns xykon, end of story, by making him die of laughter at the sheer comedy of the master of comedy known as RICHARD.

Also who needs charterer development?

third, LFGCOMIC IS NOT WOW FOR THE 100000000000000000th time!

Sc00by
2008-11-22, 07:10 AM
Xykon has an army...

Richard doesn't (yet)

And despite some funny lines, Richard has never had an evilgasm! So The big X wins again!

PanNarrans
2008-11-22, 07:14 AM
Ok then, Xykon vs. Richard vs. Black Mage, in a psychopathic sorcerous free for all.
My money's on Xykon; although BM is probably more powerful, he's much more ineffectual.

Morty
2008-11-22, 07:27 AM
Humor-wise, Xykon is funny. Richard was funny for first few comics, now he's an annoying Godmode Sue belived by authors to be the best characters ever. Well, unless "lol I pwn everyone" counts as humor.
Power-wise, it's hard to tell since Xykon is a D&D character and Richard is from a webcomic in which authors make everything up on the fly, it seems. Still, he doesn't seem to have the ability to fly(yet), so Xykon could simply rain death on him from above.

Assassin89
2008-11-22, 10:04 AM
The winner is definitively Richard. I have already discussed this matchup in one of my own threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95329)

Zevox
2008-11-22, 10:36 AM
Energy Drain is a negative energy spell. Undead are healed by negative energy, so Richard has nothing to fear from it - he'd actually be strengthened by it.

Zevox

RebelRogue
2008-11-22, 11:05 AM
Humor-wise, Xykon is funny. Richard was funny for first few comics, now he's an annoying Godmode Sue belived by authors to be the best characters ever.
I agree with this!

Kurald Galain
2008-11-22, 11:08 AM
Ok then, Xykon vs. Richard vs. Black Mage, in a psychopathic sorcerous free for all.
Depends on what the contest is. In terms of collateral damage, Black Mage has them both beat by a long shot. Note that, while the universe exists to hurt BM, he has also survived an Australia to the face, so he's got some major toughness going on there.

In terms of useful power, determination, and sheer badassness, the answer can only be Xykon, again by a long shot. This is especially obvious in the last few pages of Start of Darkness.

In terms of mary sueish plot armor and "la la la I can't lose cuz im an autor surrogaet", richard wins, again by a long shot. The character is such a major ripoff that it's really not a contest.

Renegade Paladin
2008-11-22, 12:11 PM
Richard is himself undead. Energy drain would heal him.

Linkavitch
2008-11-22, 01:17 PM
Soo, who's Richard? We're not talking about the Giant, are we?

Kish
2008-11-22, 01:18 PM
Richard is an undead spellcaster in a thing some people overdignify by calling it a webcomic, named "Looking for Group."

Charninja
2008-11-22, 02:10 PM
There's no hate like fanboi hate.