PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Paladin, 5th level

LibraryOgre
2008-11-22, 12:37 AM
So, I'm trying to decide. I've got a strength-build Paladin (18 str, 12 Charisma), multi'ed to Warlord, and am looking at 5th level, trying to decide which way to go for a power.

The first option is a Charisma-based power... 2D6+Cha to every enemy within a Close Burst 3, which becomes more impressive when you add the effect: Whether I hit anyone or not, all allies within the burst get a +1 to all defenses for the duration of the encounter. I'd probably hit very few people, but that second is a touch better than my 2nd level utility power, and would allow me to do it twice per day, instead of once. My bonus to hit would be about +3.

The other option is the strength-based power... 8D8+6 damage (that's 4|W|) on a hit, or 4D8+6 on a miss. I have to spend a healing surge, but we're usually pretty much out of everything long before I'm out of healing surges, so it's not a big deal. My bonus to hit would be about a +9.

Anyone going to woo me one way or the other?

FoE
2008-11-22, 01:03 AM
It would help if we knew more about your party make-up. But going on this alone ... Excuse the pun, but I suggest you stick to your 'Strengths' and take Option 2.

LibraryOgre
2008-11-22, 01:13 AM
True.

Our party has a strength-based Cleric, a wisdom-based cleric, a warlord, a fighter, and a barbarian as regular members. We get an occasional cameo from a drow warlock. The wisdom cleric is human, multied to wizard (the DM let him spend his extra human power on a Wizard power, which I am fully in favor of doing). Aside from myself (minotaur), the warlock (drow), and that human cleric, everyone is a dragonborn... and three of them are brothers (Murderous, Tyranous, and Furious Rex).

KKL
2008-11-22, 02:18 AM
Definately take the str power. The former would be utterly wasted.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-11-22, 03:37 AM
Martyr's Strike (the 4[W] power) is a good choice if you're a back-up striker... which with that build, you'd better be :smalltongue:

When you get the chance, you might want to upgrade to a Bastard Sword (or something silly from AV) because 4d10 is a lot more fun than 4d8. :smallbiggrin:

LibraryOgre
2008-11-22, 09:13 AM
Martyr's Strike (the 4[W] power) is a good choice if you're a back-up striker... which with that build, you'd better be :smalltongue:

When you get the chance, you might want to upgrade to a Bastard Sword (or something silly from AV) because 4d10 is a lot more fun than 4d8. :smallbiggrin:

I use a maul. I do 2D8 on a |W|; I only do 4D8 on 2|W|

RebelRogue
2008-11-22, 09:51 AM
I use a maul. I do 2D8 on a |W|; I only do 4D8 on 2|W|
Isn't a maul 2d6?

LibraryOgre
2008-11-22, 10:01 AM
Isn't a maul 2d6?

Not when you're a minotaur.

ColdSepp
2008-11-22, 12:09 PM
Not when you're a minotaur.

I thought Minotaurs lost Oversized in the last Dragon update? In fact, I know there was a thread about it... or was that bugbears?

Asbestos
2008-11-22, 12:31 PM
I thought Minotaurs lost Oversized in the last Dragon update? In fact, I know there was a thread about it... or was that bugbears?

They did, they gained a +2 AC against OAs while charging in exchange. Its possible though that no one in the OPs group has DDI and therefor, no one has access to the minotaur article. So they're playing with the rules available. Either that or they decided to use either the MM mino or the Dragon mino and went with the MM mino.
My old roommate, a MM mino player, upon hearing that Oversized had been taken away said with some bitterness that "Its just like an MMO, everything cool is taken away"... :smallsigh:

Hal
2008-11-22, 12:42 PM
Two questions should answer this for me:

1) Do you have any other AoE attacks?
2) Does anyone else in your party have decent access to AoE attacks?

It's never a bad idea to have at least a few of those, but since your main strength is, well, strength, it seems like you'd be better off taking the single-target power. Unless your party is really hurting for crowd control, in which case I'd go for that AoE-Cha attack.

LibraryOgre
2008-11-22, 03:30 PM

The nice thing about PnP games is the ability to ignore the nerfs that suck.

DSCrankshaw
2008-11-22, 07:32 PM
The nice thing about PnP games is the ability to ignore the nerfs that suck.

Eh, depends on what you mean by nerf. The MM races were never balanced for player characters, and DMs were warned to be cautious about letting players use them. I always thought oversized was overpowered (see numerous threads about how oversized races were obviously the best choice for melee damage builds), so I wasn't surprised that it was one of the things that didn't make it to the PC version of the race write-up. As always, though, YMMV.

NPCMook
2008-11-23, 08:06 AM
The other option is the strength-based power... 8D8+6 damage (that's 4|W|) on a hit, or 4D8+6 on a miss. I have to spend a healing surge, but we're usually pretty much out of everything long before I'm out of healing surges, so it's not a big deal. My bonus to hit would be about a +9.

On a miss its Half Damage so its 4d8+3, not +6

Correction: You roll your 8d8+6 and then half that PG. 58 for reference :smallbiggrin: