PDA

View Full Version : Despair Suicide Despair

Pit
2008-11-22, 07:20 AM
Hi everybody,

I recently started to make a webcomic and well, here it is: Despair Suicide Despair (http://www.49-6-dev.net/despairsuicidedespair/1.htm).
In short it's about people (drawn as very simplistic triangle formed, uhm, things) who don't want to live any longer because they didn't manage their life anymore. But then ironically they also don't manage their suicide attempt. There are a few different recurring characters, like for example a student or mafioso, and a few of them have their own different art style.

Beginning from tomorrow I'll upload a new strip every Sunday and Wednesday.
I hope you like and I'd be glad about some feedback :smallsmile:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-22, 02:44 PM
I'm in despair. This Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei knockoff has left me in despair.

I'm just kidding, it's totally different. The jokes are hit or miss (some of the punchlines are really forced), and some of the art can be hard to follow, but a few of them are downright hilarious. First great one is probably the kid with the essay of doom.

Fri
2008-11-22, 03:12 PM
What a cool and funny idea. I actually like this strip! But I agree that sometimes the art is kinda hard to follow. I mean, sometimes I wonder. What are this triangle guy actually doing in the third panel?

I like the art style, but try to make it clearer on what are they supposed to be doing.

Sigh, my grasp on english language is getting weaker. I need to sleep soon.

Pit
2008-11-22, 03:52 PM
First many thanks for the replies :smallsmile:

I've already many times read the title Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei but in fact, never looked closer at it to see what it is about. I should definately have done this, sounds very interesting. And yes, some of the punchlines are a bit forced. It's my first comic and so I'm still a bit trying around to see what works. But because I didn't have the chance to get born with a drawing talent I need relatively long for one strip. So, even if I'm not satisfied with it I put it online nevertheless just to build up a little collection of strips. Number 8 is for example one of this category, it really didn't come out as what I wished.

And thanks for the remark about the difficulties to follow the art. That's something I was a bit worried about. I'll do my best to make it clearer in the future.
I hope number 7, Canaries, is understandable. Because that's my personal favorite so far.

@Fri: Do you mean the 3rd panel in the first strip? Well, he's using a hair dryer in the shower. I guess you know what happens then, right?^^

Oh, and another thing you reminded me of: English's not my native language so there might be some mistakes or weird sentences.

Enlong
2008-11-22, 09:53 PM
I'm in despair. This Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei knockoff has left me in despair.

I'm just kidding, it's totally different. The jokes are hit or miss (some of the punchlines are really forced), and some of the art can be hard to follow, but a few of them are downright hilarious. First great one is probably the kid with the essay of doom.

I'm in despair! Missing my chance to make this exact same joke has left me in despair!

falconire
2008-11-23, 12:39 AM
This isn't something I would want to read. However, there are things you can change to keep readers attention.

First. I can't stand the color you used for the site background. I expected a darker comic idea here, so I would suggest using only cool colors (black, blues, violets).

Now you've stated that you're not a born artist. I understand, but the truth is nobody is born talented, it's all skill. If you want to be able to draw a good webcomic then you need constant practice. Actually webcomics are great for aspiring artists because they give you a set amount of strips to do each week, the same basic style, and the modivation to continue. I'll also add that your character is not developed (personality or how it's draw). I'm not againt abstract characters, but it seems more like you just didn't put any effort into the design.

A couple of your strips did have a decent joke or two, I'll give you that. But I can't say much else about the writing because there's just not that much there.

My overall advise is to put more effort into this, and keep practicing if you want to come out with something people will want to read in the long run.

Pit
2008-11-23, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the comment.

Yes, I chose relatively bright and cheerful colors for the website. The reason is simply that I wanted to give it a bit of an ironic touch. Dark and cold colors look too serious in my opinion.

About the characters: What concerns the text I didn't give them much personality because there isn't much to tell. The comic isn't story driven. For the visuals I chose this design (whose creation in fact really didn't need any effort because it was the result of random scribbling in my latin schoolbook :smallwink: ) to express the mimic in a very simplistic way. I like them and waited 3 years to finally use them somewhere, so I won't change it.

The reason because there isn't much writing is, as I said, because it's not story driven and also because I don't like comics with loads of text. I always try to have as less text as possible.

Fri
2008-11-23, 01:42 PM
Actually yeah, I agree with everything the author said on the post above me. It's an ironic, somewhat non sequitorial-philosophic-absurd comic-with-a dash of cheese-kind of strip. One of my favourite genre of webcomic. I even like the art style. Sometimes I want to look away from the normal humor strips and story driven comics and just laugh at the absurdity of the world.

Pit
2009-11-01, 06:49 AM
Hi,

since today's the first anniversay of Despair Suicide Despair (http://www.49-6-dev.net/despairsuicidedespair/) I thought I could show how the comic has evolved over the last year. Here for example one of my more recent strips:

http://www.49-6-dev.net/despairsuicidedespair/strip/51.jpg

Fri
2009-11-06, 10:30 AM
you know, I've been trying to remember the title of this webcomic for a while now! Good thing you posted the update.

Lord Seth
2009-11-06, 01:19 PM
I really don't like the format. Why have it be read top-down rather than left-to-right like every other comic?

AstralFire
2009-11-06, 01:49 PM
I really don't like the format. Why have it be read top-down rather than left-to-right like every other comic?

That's 4-koma style. It's more common to manga than Western comics.

Pit
2009-11-07, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the comments :smallsmile:

About the format: I prefer the vertical format, because it avoids that you catch a glimpse of the last panel which may reveal too much (this could for example be a problem at strips like this one (http://www.49-6-dev.net/despairsuicidedespair/61.htm)). In strip number 60 (http://www.49-6-dev.net/despairsuicidedespair/60.htm) I also made use of the vertical format.