PDA

View Full Version : Floating Ability Bonuses (4e)

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-22, 11:57 AM
Someone came came up with this idea, and I like it--players assign their racial bonuses to whichever two abilities they want. It makes interesting and unusual character concepts more appealing, but I'm unsure of how to handle humans. I'm thinking of one of these rules for human characters:

1. Humans can trade one racial ability to get a second +2 bonus.
2. Humans automatically get a second +2 bonus.

Which is most balanced? Does either one scream 'HUMANZ RULE!' or 'HUMANZ SUCK!'?

TS

KKL
2008-11-22, 06:25 PM
IN A GAME WHERE EVERYBODY HAS FLOATING BONUSES, HUMANS SUCK.

In short, floating bonuses for everyone else screw over what is supposed to be the human's schtick.

Arbitrarity
2008-11-22, 06:32 PM
Elven Wizard, +2 INT, +2 WIS. He is the CO boards' lovechild.

Seriously, assigning bonuses is actually much more potent than you might think. At least give the human the second ability score bonus, if not something else as well.

Ziegander
2008-11-22, 07:07 PM
The human could get a +4 to a single ability score and a +2 to another. Or, just to keep the human different, just the +4, and a new racial ability.

KKL
2008-11-22, 07:43 PM
The human could get a +4 to a single ability score and a +2 to another. Or, just to keep the human different, just the +4, and a new racial ability.

This could work perfectly fine, I suppose. Oh lord, the shenanigans I could pull off with this.

Vadin
2008-11-22, 07:59 PM
Maybe if you give them that +4 and +2 option, but tell them none of their starting ability scores can go over 18 or 20 it wouldn't be breakable.

Ziegander
2008-11-22, 08:10 PM
Maybe if you give them that +4 and +2 option, but tell them none of their starting ability scores can go over 18 or 20 it wouldn't be breakable.

Sure, and then definitely give them an extra racial ability. +1 to all saving throws seems good to me.

EDIT: Or, since Humans are supposed to be all about versatility, you could give humans +2 to any three ability scores. Broken? Probably not.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-22, 09:02 PM
Thanks for everyones' thoughts; I'm definitely going with #2, possibly with an additional human ability. I don't like the idea of stacking racial bonuses or a third bonus; I think it would make humans a little too magnetic.

I like Ziegander's save bonus idea; it's simple and thematic. As an alternative or addition, what does everyone think of letting humans double up one of their racial abilities? (Two bonus feats, two skill trainings, two bonus at-wills or +2 to NADs.)

TS

Ziegander
2008-11-22, 10:26 PM
Thanks for everyones' thoughts; I'm definitely going with #2, possibly with an additional human ability. I don't like the idea of stacking racial bonuses or a third bonus; I think it would make humans a little too magnetic.

Just for clarity, what is it you're doing again? :smallbiggrin:

As an alternative or addition, what does everyone think of letting humans double up one of their racial abilities? (Two bonus feats, two skill trainings, two bonus at-wills or +2 to NADs.)

Sounds great actually. Offer the +1 to all saves ability, or the option of doubling up one of their current racials, I'd say (so as an addition).

Tequila Sunrise
2008-11-22, 11:17 PM
Just for clarity, what is it you're doing again? :smallbiggrin:
"Humans gain a second +2 racial bonus, which can be applied to a second ability score. In addition humans can double up one of their other racial abilities."

Sounds great actually. Offer the +1 to all saves ability, or the option of doubling up one of their current racials, I'd say (so as an addition).
On second thought, the +1 save bonus option is kinda redundant because the player could take Human Perseverance as a bonus feat. So I'm just going to leave humans with the double up option.

TS

Ziegander
2008-11-22, 11:25 PM
Ah, okay, yeah that makes sense, except that now I'm not 100% sure that Humans are as strong as the other races. What you are doing now is making every race have two +2s to any ability scores (but not the same one). Humans have nothing unique with their ability score adjustment which is a big part of their draw in 4e. I'm not sure what to suggest, since you don't seem to like the idea of giving humans three +2s, but that is my favorite so far.