PDA

View Full Version : WINNERS of the Summer Organization Contest!

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-08, 12:43 AM
/me takes out the envelope and opens it.

And the winners are...

Best Articulation of the Theme: Order of the Eternal Summer (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11552544 29;start=0#0) by Fax Celestis
Funniest Organization: The Fireballers’ League (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11550523 36) by Elvaris
Best PC Organization: Order of the Eternal Summer (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11552544 29;start=0#0) by Fax Celestis
Best Ally Organization: Order of the Desert Orchid (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11550767 39) by Tarkahn
Best Adversary Organization: Doom the Daystar (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11554891 66) by Gnudro
Best Adventure Hooks: The Catalysts (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11558923 33) by Mike_Lemmer
Best Spell or Spells: Sect of the Burning Feast (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11550847 48) by Carmichael
Best Item: The Catalysts (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11558923 33) by Mike_Lemmer
Best Prestige Class: Mindfire Knights (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11550048 94;start=0#0) by The Demented One
Best Affiliation Stats: Keepers of the Fevered Mount (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11559418 07) by The Vorpal Tribble
Best Overall: Keepers of the Fevered Mount (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11559418 07) by The Vorpal Tribble
Gorby's Seal of Approval (Staff Award): Doom the Daystar (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Contests;action=display;num=11554891 66) by Gnudro

The voting was incredibly close in almost every category. In nearly half of the categories, the winner was decided by a single vote.

Congratulations to all the winners, and to all who participated! Good luck to everyone in the next contest as well!

Fax Celestis
2006-09-08, 12:48 AM
OHMYGAWD w00t.

Roland St. Jude
2006-09-08, 12:58 AM
Let me just say very nicely done folks. I know I had a hard time choosing who to vote for in almost every category.

(And thanks to Gorbash for the prompt tally!)

Elvaris
2006-09-08, 01:02 AM
Congratulations to the rest of the winners, and a big Thankyaverymuch to everyone who voted, and who participated. The best part of these contests is knowing how challenging they are. Great jobs all around.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-09-08, 04:12 AM
Yes, there were many entries I had to look over again 3-4 times to make sure I had picked the best one. It was so close, it was frustrating. Made me wish I could submit two entries for each vote.

So, now do we start the commentary? It's been so quiet about these groups, I've been itching for a chance to discuss them.

The Glyphstone
2006-09-08, 06:19 AM
Well darn - but hey, my selection in every single category except for one was the winner!

Will you be posting said votes breakdown? I'm curious where I might have gotten close to victory.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-08, 07:57 AM
Yes! Post the breakdown! Don't make me whip out the subliminal messages...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-08, 09:24 AM
Congrats, blokes! ;D

*flicks on a lighter*

FREE BIRD!

Fax Celestis
2006-09-08, 10:51 AM
Congrats, blokes! ;D

*flicks on a lighter*

FREE BIRD!

How remarkably appropriate.

Carmichael
2006-09-08, 04:49 PM
I won? Yay for creepy cannibalism and voodoo magic! Many thanks to everyone who voted.

Draz74
2006-09-08, 06:12 PM
Awww ... the Steamscorch Guild gets nothing. :(

Well, I guess I didn't really expect it to, since it's the first Contest I've entered. It would have been beginner's luck if it got anything.

And I guess I really don't deserve it, since I didn't have the patience to read through most other peoples' entries. :-[ Darn slow internet connection.

Oh well ... Congrats to the winners! And may the next Contest be even more fun! (Arrrrr, matey, looks promising!)

Vaynor
2006-09-08, 06:39 PM
I demand the breakdowns! I want to know if I was kinda close, or nowhere near winning. :P

AKA_Bait
2006-09-08, 07:21 PM
Congrats to all who won!

There were a number of pretty darn cool entries. I'm still open to commentary on mine. I rarely get constructive critisim of my D&D stuff.

Also, I concur with Vaynor about the breakdowns. I'm morbidly curious to see just how much I got creamed by the other fantastic entries.

Mr. Moon
2006-09-08, 09:00 PM
As dissapointed as I am that the Flame Speaker Accademy didn't place, I must congargulate all those who won. I may not have voted, but then, they were all so good that I couldn't chose. ;)

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-09, 02:14 AM
I do not currently have access to the breakdowns, and I'm not sure if I remembered to save the tally sheet (the votes are all still in the VOTE inbox, but I don't have time to do a re-tally). If the tally sheet is saved, I may be able to post the final results, but it won't be for several days at the earliest.

I can tell you that every single entry recieved at least one vote in one category.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-09, 02:19 AM
I do not currently have access to the breakdowns, and I'm not sure if I remembered to save the tally sheet (the votes are all still in the VOTE inbox, but I don't have time to do a re-tally). If the tally sheet is saved, I may be able to post the final results, but it won't be for several days at the earliest.

I can tell you that every single entry recieved at least one vote in one category.
Not to be disrespectful, but there is such a thing as delegation.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-09, 04:16 PM
Due to the fact that I was dead tired when I wrote that, the entire last sentence is screwed up. It should read "If the tally sheet isn't [or, wasn't, if you care about grammer - Ed.] saved, I may still be able to post the final results, but it won't be for several days at the earliest."

But it's a moot point because I did save the tally sheet. I'll post the complete vote record shortly.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-09, 04:52 PM
Vote Tally

Best Articulation of the Theme
1 vote - The Catalysts, Loatuo Firewalkers
2 votes - Keepers of the Fevered Mount, Order of the Desert Orchid, Cult of the Summerkin, Callers of the Summer Rain
5 votes (winner) - Order of the Eternal Summer

Funniest
1 vote - Callers of the Summer Rain
2 votes - Order of the Rusty Kettle
3 votes - The /B/rotherhood
8 votes (winner) - Fireballers' League
1 abstention

PC Organization
1 vote - Steamscorch Guild, Order of the Rusty Kettle, Children of the Burning River, Keepers of the Fevered Mount
2 votes - Order of the Desert Orchid
9 votes - Order of the Eternal Summer

Ally Organization
1 vote - Steamscorch Guild, The Vintners, Order of Rusty Kettle, Defenders of the Flame, Order of the Eternal Summer, Callers of the Summer Rain, The Pyrotransitionists, Cult of the Summerkin
3 votes - Keepers of the Fevered Mount
4 votes (winner) - Order of the Desert Orchid

Adversary Organization
1 vote - The Ones-With-Trees, The Catalysts, Callers of the Summer Rain
5 votes - Sect of the Burning Feast
6 votes (winner) - Doom the Daystar
1 abstention

Adventure Hooks
1 vote - Order of the Rusty Kettle, Doom the Daystar, Callers of the Summer Rain, Cinderborn Sentinels, The Bluescale Order, Order of the Hidden Rain,
2 votes - The Vintners, Loatuo Firewalkers, Keepers of the Fevered Mount
3 votes (winner) - The Catalysts

Spell(s)
1 vote - Order of the Hidden Flame, Flame Speaker Academy
6 votes - Keepers of the Fevered Mount
7 votes (winner) - Sect of the Burning Feast

Item
1 vote - The Vintners, Children of the Burning River
2 votes - Order of the Rusty Kettle, Defenders of the Flame
3 votes - Steamscorch Guild
6 votes (winner) - The Catalysts

Prestige Class
1 vote - Soulfire Knights, Cinderborn Sentinels, Cult of the Summerkin
2 votes - Callers of the Summer Rain
4 votes - Order of the Desert Orchid
5 votes (winner) - Mindfire Knights
1 abstention

Affiliation Stats
1 vote - Doom the Daystar, Soulfire Knights
2 votes - Mindfire Knights
5 votes (winner) - Keepers of the Fevered Mount
6 abstentions

Overall
1 vote - Order of the Rusty Kettle, The Catalysts, Order of the Eternal Summer, Callers of the Summer Rain, Cinderborn Sentinels, Sect of the Burning Feast
2 votes - Doom the Daystar, Order of the Desert Orchid
4 votes (winner) - Keepers of the Fevered Mount
1 abstention

Staff Award
1 vote (winner) - Doom the Daystar

Carmichael
2006-09-09, 05:04 PM
Egad! Lost the Adversary category by a pittance of one vote!

(For the record, I didn't vote -- reading all the entries and fairly voting takes up a lot of time, something I haven't got to spare after the beginning of the semester.)

Fax Celestis
2006-09-09, 05:07 PM
Wow. I totally trumped Articulation of Theme and PC Organization. :o

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-09, 06:16 PM
I don't much mind having lost, but when I specifically ask for feedback on why I lost and what I did wrong (in not one, but two places) and am ignored totally... that makes me slightly upset. So, could I please get some feedback here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11577421 13)?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-09, 06:42 PM
Hrmmm, looks like more folks need to make the effort and vote... ::)

Edit: And Iames, to this day I have stuff thats gotten no comment. In fact, my Fevered Mount, it got a total of one comment on the material within. And even it was more for the fellow to link me to his which had a similiar theme than any critiques.

So the point of this spiel is, folks are often busy, unknowing of your wants (this is the first time I've heard about it), or don't care.

2nd Edit: Oh, and this is a weekend.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-09, 07:09 PM
Hrmmm, looks like more folks need to make the effort and vote... ::)

Edit: And Iames, to this day I have stuff thats gotten no comment. In fact, my Fevered Mount, it got a total of one comment on the material within. And even it was more for the fellow to link me to his which had a similiar theme than any critiques.

So the point of this spiel is, folks are often busy, unknowing of your wants (this is the first time I've heard about it), or don't care.

2nd Edit: Oh, and this is a weekend.

VT, your stuff is just so awesome that it's hard to find anything to comment on without sounding like a total fanboy ("OMGVTURtehroxxorz!!111one"). Add to that the fact that there was so much stuff in your one entry itself... It's like an information overload. There's this, and that, and then this other thing, and they're all really cool, but there's too many for your brain's RAM and you have to close some of the windows and you forget what they were. That's what reading the Keepers of the Fevered Mount was like.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-09, 09:48 PM
I can't figure out if I'm being given a compliment or being told I babble... either way, I'll take a look at your stuff ;)

Fax Celestis
2006-09-09, 10:14 PM
I can't figure out if I'm being given a compliment or being told I babble... either way, I'll take a look at your stuff ;)
Actually, I think it's both.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-09, 11:11 PM
VT was being complimented. I was babbling.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-09, 11:31 PM
VT was being complimented. I was babbling.
We're all friends around here. I was kidding. :D

Mike_Lemmer
2006-09-10, 06:31 AM

Probably both. If I took anything from this contest, it's that conciseness means the difference between a full read and a skim. Well, that and capitalization. I think we all gaped for a moment at how much you managed to stuff in there. It could've been a chapter.

Vaynor
2006-09-10, 09:57 AM
Yay! I was voted for! ;D

Well, like once... in a few categories...

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-10, 05:31 PM
Probably both. If I took anything from this contest, it's that conciseness means the difference between a full read and a skim. Well, that and capitalization. I think we all gaped for a moment at how much you managed to stuff in there. It could've been a chapter.

When I was voting, I thought about deleting the word "Hooks," because, unless I am very mistaken, that was an actual adventure, wasn't it?

Mike_Lemmer
2006-09-10, 05:56 PM
Yes, it was an actual adventure. The main reason I didn't vote for it was because it'd be hard as hell to adapt it to anything besides Tribble's campaign.

Draz74
2006-09-11, 06:25 PM
Yay! I was voted for! ;D

Well, like once... in a few categories...

QFT. For me too.

I have to say I'll certainly be more likely to actually put in the effort of voting if entries are more concise. Brevity is the mark of a really good writer. (Which I'm still working on myself.)