Level: Wiz/Sor 3, Cleric 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: Standard
Range: Touch
Target: One creature touched other than the caster
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (Harmless)
This spell refreshes its target, allowing it to continue using some of its abilities. When the spell is cast, choose one of two things: That person regains one extra use of each extraordinary and supernatural ability they have that can only be used a limited amount of times per day or week, up to their normal maximum, or they regain all uses of one single ability. The ability must be one available through skills, skill tricks, feats, class abilities or racial abilities, and extra uses of this ability from temporary magic effects or magic items are not considered part of the maximum number of uses.

Refreshing your allies can be quite taxing. Casting it makes you fatigued, or exhausted if you are already fatigued.

Refresh
Transmutation
Level: Wiz/Sor 5, Cleric 5
As Lesser Refresh, except all extraordinary and supernatural abilities of the target are completely replenished, up to their normal maximum. In addition, the spell makes you instantly exhausted. If you are fatigued or already exhaused, you also take 1 point of Constitution damage.

Refresh, Greater
Transmutation
Level: Wiz/Sor 7, Cleric 7
As Refresh, except it also restores uses of spell-like abilities that replicate spells of wizard, sorceror or cleric level 3 or lower, and always deals 1 point of Constitution damage. If you were already exhausted, it deals an additional 1 point of Constitution damage.

DracoDei
2008-11-22, 06:58 PM
Strongly consider XP costs for all three and a level of spells limit (seriously 3 would be about right... think of casting this on a planar (as opposed to metallic or chromatic) ) dragon or something else with a bunch of SLA's some of which might actually be ABOVE 7th level... it is Mordekain's lubrication on epic crack as it stands.

lesser_minion
2008-11-28, 06:26 PM
In general, I like the basic idea of this spell, although it looks like it can be seriously abused. It might be possible to rebalance the spell by incurring some sort of backlash on the caster

I wouldn't suggest an XP cost, because the effects of this spell become redundant very quickly - an XP cost generally implies a very long-lasting effect. A reasonable balancing factor might be for the caster to suffer some ability score burn damage and/or fatigue.

Is this a 'generic' restorative spell, or would it be better to have a feel more like the caster transfers some of their mystical/physical energy to the target? The second fluff idea might help to discourage some abuses, if you forbid casting the spell on yourself.

Aquillion
2008-11-28, 10:32 PM
Take a level in Archmage. Use their option to turn Greater Refresh into a Spell-Like Ability twice per day. They can now use all their other extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities an unlimited number of times per day (and are likely to continue using Archmage to turn their best spells into SLAs.)

That aside, this is going to be exploitable no matter what you do. As written, there's always going to be limited-use abilities that are far more powerful than a third-level spell, for instance.

cdawg
2008-11-29, 06:10 PM
its a tempting idea but im not sure it would work

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-29, 06:34 PM
I've nerfed Greater Refresh a bit, adding potential constitution damage.

And since this thread was bumped, I've come up with another (unrelated) spell!

Fall from Grace
Necromancy [Evil]
Casting Time: One Standard Action
Target: One creature touched
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Spell Resistance: No
This spell only has an effect against creatures with feats or classes in levels that require a code of conduct or divine oath to gain powers. That creature is considered to have broken every code of conduct he has agreed to abide by, and loses the benefits of all feats and class that depend on these codes of conduct. A Paladin will have broken his code of conduct and lose his divine gifts. A Cleric will have acted in defiance of his God and lose all spellcasting, or a Druid will have taught Druidic to an outsider. People who have taken Exalted Feats, Vile Feats or Vows have violated them, and lost their benefits. Because the victim has fallen because of an outside magical effect, and did not actually do anything wrong, a cleric or druid can cast Attonement on him to regain his powers, even Vows like Vow of Poverty, without spending XP. However, Fall from Grace leaves a curse on its victim, and any Attonement attempt will fail automatically until this curse is dispelled by Remove Curse or Break Enchantment.

insecure
2008-11-29, 06:36 PM
I've nerfed Greater Refresh a bit, adding potential constitution damage.

And since this thread was bumped, I've come up with another (unrelated) spell!

Fall from Grace
Necromancy [Evil]
Casting Time: One Standard Action
Target: One creature touched
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Spell Resistance: No
This spell only has an effect against creatures with feats or classes in levels that require a code of conduct or divine oath to gain powers. That creature is considered to have broken every code of conduct he has agreed to abide by, and loses the benefits of all feats and class that depend on these codes of conduct. A Paladin will have broken his code of conduct and lose his divine gifts. A Cleric will have acted in defiance of his God and lose all spellcasting, or a Druid will have taught Druidic to an outsider. People who have taken Exalted Feats, Vile Feats or Vows have violated them, and lost their benefits. Because the victim has fallen because of an outside magical effect, and did not actually do anything wrong, a cleric or druid can cast Attonement on him to regain his powers, even Vows like Vow of Poverty, without spending XP. However, Fall from Grace leaves a curse on its victim, and any Attonement attempt will fail automatically until this curse is dispelled by Remove Curse or Break Enchantment.

With one single spell, you shouldn't be able to ruin a whole class...

RMS Oceanic
2008-11-29, 06:46 PM
I could make some joke about Hold/Dominate Monster ruining a Fighter, or Wind Wall ruining an Archer, but I won't. :smallbiggrin:

I wasn't sure what level to peg this at. Would level 9 be more appropriate?

DracoDei
2008-11-29, 07:41 PM
What was your reasoning for disallowing SR?

Emperor Tippy
2008-11-29, 07:52 PM
Take a look at a Zodar in regards to your refresh line. Unlimited wishs (wish is an SU ability for them).

Aquillion
2008-11-30, 01:05 AM
Yeah, but Wish as a SL ability is already going to be broken if it gets into the player's hands...